Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail MK3 Coaches - North Wall Update

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Hungerford wrote: »
    A single generator van was spared from scrapping in Dundalk for some reason.

Yeah it's to be kept for some deal that may or may not happen. Supposedly just 34 of the Mk3s at North Wall are for scrap and the rest spared for the time being. 6105 being one of them. I heard that two of the EGVs in Dundalk were to be spared but looks like just 1 made it. EGV 7601 survived, 7612 got scrapped 3 days ago.

Standards 7101 and 7156 were reported to be still there yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

so why are some being spaired? its not as if they will be seeing service

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

so why are some being spaired? its not as if they will be seeing service

They may be, the ITG may well end up with a small push pull set and there is supposedly a private operator VSOE deal ongoing and the spare Mk3s are for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭davidlacey

I see 077 hauled a rake of Mark 3s to inchicore the other day ,are they getting scrapped there?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

davidlacey wrote: »
    I see 077 hauled a rake of Mark 3s to inchicore the other day ,are they getting scrapped there?

A few Mark 3's are to be converted into vehicles for use on the weed spray trains; maybe it was them you heard of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭GMKK96

077 hauled DVT 6105 and MK3s to Inchicore on Thursday for some attention I'm told. 6105 was to be brought back to North Wall but I'm not sure about the other MK3s.
    www(.)youtube(.)com/watch?v=FeQPgGLLIoU
    228 hauled a transfer from Dundalk to Belfast this morning.
    Retaurant no. 7403 and EGV 7607 are to be converted for use in the weedspray train anyway. Not sure if anymore will be put to use in the PWD.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Temp101

The Mk3's hauled to Inchicore on Thursday were, I believe, the first five of the ten so-called VSOE coaches. 6105 was needed as brake van, and will do at least another trip to/from North Wall for the remainder. They may be just storing them at Inchicore, as they want to clear North Wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Temp101 wrote: »
    The Mk3's hauled to Inchicore on Thursday were, I believe, the first five of the ten so-called VSOE coaches. 6105 was needed as brake van, and will do at least another trip to/from North Wall for the remainder. They may be just storing them at Inchicore, as they want to clear North Wall.

VSOE ??

About five posts back in this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

VSOE ??

Venice Simplon Orient Express

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭GMKK96

077 hauling a North Wall to Inchicore mk3 trainsfer including DVT 6105.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭sporty56

Temp101,

Any idea of why North Wall needs to be cleared ? Wonder if it's anything to do with NAMA about to release nearby properties for development ?

sporty56 wrote: »
    Temp101,

Any idea of why North Wall needs to be cleared ? Wonder if it's anything to do with NAMA about to release nearby properties for development ?

You had Mk3s just sitting there for 4 years, no one wanted them and and as the years went by they got into a state that it would cost too much to return them to service even if they were needed or wanted back.

Same with Dundalk and Waterford.

sporty56 wrote: »
    Temp101,

I believe at one stage it was intended to store surplus wagons there, but I'm not sure how that plan is situated now, given the length of time it has eventually taken to get the Mk.3's out.

I believe at one stage it was intended to store surplus wagons there, but I'm not sure how that plan is situated now, given the length of time it has eventually taken to get the Mk.3's out.
    in fairness the mark 3 bio degrade program had to be extended and i think those wagons are scrapped now but i can't confirm

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭h.gricer

I believe at one stage it was intended to store surplus wagons there, .
    I would more expect the arrival of 2700 railcars, sooner or later.

Regards
    h.gricer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

h.gricer wrote: »
    I would more expect the arrival of 2700 railcars, sooner or later.

Regards
    h.gricer

What? And take them out of their cosy dry shed into a cold wet year? The cruelty of it all, H Gricer, the cruelty :(

Or dump the withdrawn 201s down there. We all know they will never be used again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Deutschbahn

Another video of the Mk3's on transfer to Belfast for scrapping for anyone interested. It consisted of 1 egv, 3 passenger cars and 2 restaurant cars pass on service from Northwall to Dundalk and then to Adelaide. 201 no.224 was pulling them as far as Dundalk.

youtube.com /watch?v=TGj2lw86f-U

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

To insert YouTube clips

Type [ youtube ] TGj2lw86f-U [ / youtube]

Just without the spaces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

SpaceTime wrote: »
    To insert YouTube clips

Type [ youtube ] TGj2lw86f-U [ / youtube]

Just without the spaces.

I dont think he can post anything with a proper link in it until he has 50 posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Deutschbahn

Unfortunately I cannot. Thanks for the heads up anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MGWR

Or dump the withdrawn 201s down there. We all know they will never be used again
    Not even with the economy having expanded by over seven percent?

The Irish are going to have to start reminding the government that they serve the people, not the other way around.

I'd say rather than spending money on them, dump them and buy power cars for the Mk4s

MGWR wrote: »
    Not even with the economy having expanded by over seven percent?

The Irish are going to have to start reminding the government that they serve the people, not the other way around.

They can't can't be used for anything. They can't couple up to the Mk4 or Enterprise stock or have the equipment to work them. All they can be used for is freight only. As it is Irish rail have more 201s than they need for freight and Mk4 runs.

I think the inference was they might need more with the economy improving

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

All 201's can haul a Mk4 or Enterprise set. All have the push pull and HEP equipment (all the buttons and switches are there on the entire fleet). Certainly been a low numbered 201 caught pushing a Mk3 push pull set around

Its the pushing where things get tricky, just needs a change of the coupler really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Power cars for the MK4 and the enterprise woild make a LOT of sense ans basically make them DMUs of a sort.

I wonder if a single spec could be used for the MK4 and de Dietrich coaches.
    I'm sure the de Dietrich coaches could be upgraded to operate at higher speed too.

All 201's can haul a Mk4 or Enterprise set. All have the push pull and HEP equipment (all the buttons and switches are there on the entire fleet). Certainly been a low numbered 201 caught pushing a Mk3 push pull set around

Actually no they can't. A Mk4 set requires the knuckle coupler to be fitted and the buffers retracted, DD stock requires the Dellner coupler and retracted buffers.

201-205 and 210-214 do not have retractable buffers so they can't get close enough to the stock for the couplers to engage without causing buffer lock.

Also those 201s don't have removable screw couplers to allow a knuckle or Dellner to be fitted and removed as needed compared to the rest of the 201s where the screw chain is just resting on the draw hook and can be lifted on and off as needed.

• Advertisement

i'd agree about power cars, however IE shouldn't be able to dump those locos at all. we payed for them and its about time IE were forced to sort out any issues with our rolling stock. to much has been dumped all ready because IE seem to think rolling stock are toys they can throw away when they get board. they could at least put some type of covering over them to at least try protect them from the elements if they haven't all ready. sadly the 071 isn't going to last forever so maybe they will be needed at some stage.

Advertisement