Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katy French's death: was justice done?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Appartently seizing after taking cocaine isn't that unusual which would make it clearer why the couple didn't call the emergency services straight away
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/health/newsid_8147000/8147446.stm

I would take the familys statement of the levels of drugs and alcohol in her system with a pinch of salt. She bought the drugs herself and sat up all night talking and drinking with a friend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

She did lots of snorting (no one forced her to do it) and she died,a sad sorry way to go,but there you go...it happened.

I dont see any other family in this sad situation getting tons of media coverage and favourable treatment years on after their loved ones death.

It was her own body and she chose to abuse it regardless of the health implications and prospect of death.
    No one else is at fault for her death and thats the truth of it.Stop with the witch hunt now and the pointless family member media interviews.

Drugs are bad

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 240 ✭✭The Barefoot Pizza Thief

Of course justice wasn't done....because there was no need for it to be done.

Katy French was grown woman who made the decision of her own free will to take drugs that night and she paid the ultimate price for it.

Yawn. Did you read the OP? I have acknowledged that:
    I think people should take responsibility for their own drug taking.

Am I not asking has justice been done because Katy took drugs and died and someone needs to pay and nor have the family by the way, despite the constant suggestions that they have. When I asked 'has justice been done' it is direct reference to the fact that Katie was found foaming at the mouth, eyes bulging out of the head, neck back, arms and legs outstretched, apparently "bouncing off the floor" and yet the hospital was not contacted for over 95 minutes. It is these circumstances that leads me to ask whether justice has been done or not.

If Katy French had been given these drugs, went to her room and was found dead 12 hours later, then that would be 100% her fault, but that is not what happened here.

Many of us do stupid things each and every day that put our lives, and the lives of others around us, at risk. Things like speeding, taking drugs, drinking too much, driving under the influence, jay walking etc etc but even so, should a speeding driver or drunk driver crash, or a binge drinker begin to choke on their own vomit, or a jay-walker get a slap of a bus (whatever) and somebody witnesses this, who it later transpires had the ability to phone for help, but didn't, for over 90 minutes: well then, in my opinion, that person, without question, has some culpability in that person's death.
    HondaSami wrote: »
    Would it have made any difference if they took her to hospital straight away?

The faster you get to hospital, with almost any condition, the better chances you have of recovery.
    I agree with you, the family should know what happened.

Secondly "innocent until proven guilty" .....they have not been found guilty. Im aware they have not been tried for this, apologies if my poor choice of words suggested this.

Finaly, the argument you put forward is perfectly reasonable. However I reckon the DPP are aware of further facts which made them come to the conclusion that they were not confident of a sucessfull prosecution.

I agree with you also and yes, I don't there are things which may never be revealed but the vast vast majority of details were revealed in the court and at the inquest. Actually, the only aspects yet to be revealed, I would say, would not be very favourable ones for these two, as if they were, they would have been screaming them to the media in their interviews with the media. Ducie wasn't shy about certain details a couple of years back when he said that Katy was drinking Champagne and Vodka that night (yet another volunteered detail which the results of the inquest would appear to contradict) seeing as she had only a tiny amount of alcohol in her blood.
    Meh, she snorted a bit of coke, so what. If you die, you die and it's no one elses fault.

So, if you are over in my house, take a line of coke, start foaming at the mouth - you think it's fine if I stick on a DVD and run you to the hospital when it's over?
    xLexie wrote: »
    Just save my sympathy to those who don't self inflict "victim" on themselves.

As I said above, lots of people die from foolish choices each and every day but that does not mean people should not have to explain themselves when they choose not to help someone when they have an opportunity to, don't and then that person dies as a direct result. I am not saying that is for sure what happened here, but a lot of the facts available would suggest that it very much is a strong possibility, especially if the 8.30am timeline of her being found foaming at the mouth and "bouncing off" the floor is accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,231 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

She was our Diana

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

The faster you get to hospital, with almost any condition, the better chances you have of recovery.

Yes but did the PM reveal she would have lived if she was taken to hospital sooner?
    If she had little alcohol /drugs in her system as the links says, what happened to her?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

This country saw slave labour in the laundries, the ryan report abuses and a lot more and yet not one of the people involved in both are spared jail or any punishment. Gerry Ryan and Katy took coke and died. I feel sorry for them to die so young but the parents need a sense of perspective. She die by her own hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Right so, let me get this right.

Ducie was out on the batter.
    French and Corcoran were at home, drinking and sniffing.
    They went to bed @ 8am
    There was a bang heard at 8.30am
    Memery was called @ 10am
    999 call @ 10.05am
    Arrived at hospital @ 10.12am
    Several other calls made to Memery after this.

Now, it strikes me that it's possible that after there was the bang, they didn't go check on her straight away. I know if I've been on an allnighter, and have gone to bed, if I hear a bang from one of my mates, I won't necessarily go check them. They're pissed, they probably fell over.

It's possible the calls to Memery were to find out about the coke. Maybe it was to give him a heads up that someone had OD'ed. If there was 4% of a lethal dose, then maybe, just maybe, it wasn't the coke?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 noelkelly

katy was a junky if it happened in crumlin finglas darndale nothing would be said/done

paddy147 wrote: »
    I dont see any other family in this sad situation getting tons of media coverage

Stop with the witch hunt now and the pointless family member media interviews.
    greenman09 wrote: »
    I'm fed up hearing press and family try and blame everyone but Katy French.
    Liamario wrote: »
    The family need a wake up call and to understand that the vast majority of people don't see poor little Katie as a victim.
    steddyeddy wrote: »
    the parents need a sense of perspective. She die by her own hand.

Ffs folks, the family haven't opened their mouths for the five years since Katy died!

Today was the first day they gave a statement regarding events.
    Yes but did the PM reveal she would have lived if she was taken to hospital sooner?

The Coroner's Inquest just said that she died from brain damage, resulting from numerous heart attacks and that she had traces of alcohol and cocaine.

If she had little alcohol /drugs in her system as the links says, what happened to her?

That's just it, in spite of people repeatedly saying she caused her own death, the coroner's court never established a cause of death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

Her family need to face facts, their z list celebrity daughter was a junkie, and junkies die from choosing that lifestyle.

Ah here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Im anti drugs, always have been and always will be.

The people dealing where scum bags, but guilty of nothing only dealing the drugs.

Life is about taking responsiblity for your actions, she paid the ultimate price for her folly. In this day and age there is alot of education about the hazards of drugs. For want of a better description, she was playing Russian Roulette.

Kids, dont do drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

She knew the risks.

What I've hated about this whole debacle, including Gerry Ryan's death, over the past few years has been the Irish media painting these celeb deaths as something that dealers are solely responsible for, not the celeb who took the drugs themselves.

It somehow takes the responsibility away from the person who died, like they were forced to take the drugs under different circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

It was her choice to take the drugs, blaming everyone else is not going to bring her back. Her family need to stop looking for someone to blame and accept it was her own fault.

That's grand but waiting 90 minutes to ring an ambo is a bit weird

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭DaithiMa

Those who say she was a "junkie" are way off in my opinion. Big difference between a junkie and somebody who uses recreational drugs occasionally or the odd weekend. A junkie, in my opinion, is somebody who is completely addicted to and reliant on drugs, and will do whatever it takes to feed their habit. I do not think Katy French was one of those. I think she enjoyed a social drink, as many people do, and possibly enjoyed the odd line and maybe the odd spliff/pill too, as also many people do. It seems the anti drug brigade have serious issues distinguishing between the two.

And another thing, the toxicology report was never released- gardai "strongly suspected" drugs played a role in her death. That is all that was said. Anything else is pure speculation.IF it was the coke that caused her to die then it was her own fault-any drug user knows the risks involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Taking drugs is suicide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Of course justice wasn't done....because there was no need for it to be done.

Katy French was grown woman who made the decision of her own free will to take drugs that night and she paid the ultimate price for it.

A tragedy yes....but it was her own fault.

But her death was quite likely preventable.

If people are to crticise her family for their reaction to this sentencing, then one must put themselves in the family's shoes.

Imagine for a second if your sister died and you knew for a fact that she lay sick, becoming worse and worse for no less than 95 mins and there were 2 people there who did nothing. Would you accept that? Really?

Yes she may have initially brought the situation on herself (I say "may" as the amount of coke in her system was quite low), but the deterioration of said situation to the point of tragedy could likely have been avoided.

kraggy wrote: »

If people are to crticise her family for their reaction to this sentencing, then one must put themselves in the family's shoes.

Imagine for a second if your sister died and you knew for a fact that she lay sick, becoming worse and worse for no less than 95 mins and there were 2 people there who did nothing. Would you accept that? Really?

Yes she may have initially brought the situation on herself (I say "may" as the amount of coke in her system was quite low), but the deterioration of said situation to the point of tragedy could likely have been avoided.

Finally, someone with common sense.

Yet another aspect of this mess worthy of note not mentioned so far, was that, despite Katy buying €200 worth of cocaine and only having a trace amount in her system when she died, the rest of the cocaine was never found.

Donnie and Marie said they were "anti-drugs" and never touch the stuff and so where did it go?

Just read Ducie's Hotpress interview and the following quotes seem to contradict the timeline the newspapers have printed:
    I got home at about 6.45am. I’m not too sure of the exact time. It was Sunday morning – it was bright outside.”

When Ducie barrelled into his house after a hard night’s partying, he walked into the kitchen: the plasma TV was switched on, with the volume turned down. He saw that Katy’s mascara was running down her face – she had obviously been crying.

“I said, ‘What’s going on?’” says Ducie. “Katy started coming out with an awful lot of things. ‘They all hate me. They don’t like me... do you see the way the media are depicting me? I have no friends. I didn’t really have many friends in school... You and Ann are my mates and I can talk to you guys. I don’t have any other friends...’

“I said, ‘Of course you have friends... everybody has friends...’ My house isn’t five minutes away from the city centre, you know? The newspapers were making innuendos as if there was some sort of ulterior motive for Katy coming out to my house. We were having a heart-to-heart. The girl was spilling her heart out. That’s why she went to Ann. She rang a lot of people that night and nobody answered her calls. She told me that. She said it to Ann as well.”

Ducie sat down with the two women and they talked for the next two hours.

“They were drinking. I had Lanson champagne there... there was a couple of bottles of champagne. Ann was drinking coffee and I think there was vodka and Red Bull there as well. I had drinks with them. I sat down and had some vodka and Red Bull and Katy was drinking vodka and pouring champagne in on top of it.”

He says the conversation still haunts him. As the drinks flowed, Katy revealed that her relationship had ended that day.

“She was told it was basically because of the Star On Sunday interview and her friends weren’t talking to her either. There’s an awful lot of things Katy said that night that I wouldn’t tell anybody. It was very personal information.”

Katy hinted that she’d have to look for new accommodation. Whatever had happened, she could no longer stay in her City West apartment because of its proximity to her former love interest who was apparently shunning her over the cocaine story.

“The girl was visibly distressed. An awful lot had happened to her in three days. We sat and we talked for a while. She talked a lot about her sister and her mother that night. About how she was very proud of her Mam. And her sister being an artist.

“I actually said to Katy: ‘You need a break away from this... get a break and lie down low for a while... stop trying to push yourself. There’s a limit!’ It was like a machine and she was running with this machine and I think she felt she had to keep going and keep going. Katy always wanted a career – and that was what she was pushing for – in TV. That was the goal.

“I could be brutally honest with her – that’s what she liked about me. She’d be sitting there rambling on and I’d say, ‘Katy, you’re talking awful ****e!’ And she’d laugh because she had all these ‘yes’ ****ers around her, telling her that she was great. When it takes a friend to bring you down to earth, I think you kind of appreciate that friend a bit more. That’s how herself and myself and Ann got on. There was no bull**** around us.

“We just talked for a few hours and then she got up and said, ‘I want to go now...’ And she picked up her keys for the jeep. She was going to make dinner for her aunty on that Sunday. I stopped her in her tracks and I said, ‘No. Don’t take the keys for the jeep – you’re not driving’. God forbid if she drove down the road and the girl crashed into somebody on their way to mass. That’s what I thought.

“It was about 8.30am or 9am. I told her to go into bed. I brought her up to the room and I said, ‘Katy, get some sleep’. Ann pulled the blinds down. She still had her clothes on. I pulled the quilt back, took her shoes off her, and put her into the bed.”

“She said, ‘Kieron, would you get me a glass of water?’”

According to Ducie, these were Katy French’s last words.

“I brought her a bottle of Ballygowan and I put it beside the bed and I said, ‘There you go’. I went up to bed with Ann. I still had my clothes on. I was sitting at the side of my bed and Ann was telling me an awful lot of in-depth stuff – stuff that one girl would tell another girl. I was shocked. We were talking for about 10 or 15 minutes and then I heard a big bang on the floor. She had fallen out of the bed and hit a big mirror that’s in the room. I shouted down but I didn’t hear anything. I ran down to the room and Katy was on the floor and she was having a seizure.

“I grabbed her off the floor and lifted her onto the bed. Her body was just shooting... her arms were shooting back and forward. Her eyes were bulging. She was foaming around the mouth. I was just horrified.”

He remembers saying to Ann, ‘Just get the ****ing jeep open...’

“I got her into the jeep. There was no waiting. I don’t know what time it was. It’s like somebody throwing a grenade into this room now – time freezes. Go to the time of the 999 call and go back a couple of minutes because it was instant...

“The rest is history...”

Did you see Katy taking drugs that night?

“No,” he says, shaking his head. “The papers were making accusations that there was loads of drugs on the table. Ann doesn’t do drugs. There was no drugs done that night. Definitely no drugs. Ann said Katy never did drugs in front of her. The Guards asked about how many times Katy went to the toilet and Ann replied, ‘As many times as you go to the toilet or I go – how the **** would I know?’ The Guards checked the toilets – the wiped everything with swabs. Everything. Floors. Walls. They can pick up the most minuscule particle. You’d never – if drugs were used in your house – get away from it. Ann told me, ‘That girl never did drugs in your house’. I believe it.

“I know it’s frustrating. I remember the guards sitting there going ****in’ nuts over it as well. But, at the end of the day, I’m not going to say something that I didn’t see. I said that same thing to the coppers that I’m telling you.”

It subsequently emerged, according to Ducie, that Katy was captured on CCTV footage at a petrol station in Clonee, apparently purchasing drugs, prior to visiting Ann Corcoran. She had also been taking valium and diet pills, according to other reports. “There’s a big question mark – Katy left her mother’s house at 11.30pm and she got to Kilmessen at 1.30am. The M50 has no ****ing queues on a Saturday night,” he states. “They are saying it’s a seizure from a suspected drugs overdose, but I don’t know. She didn’t do drugs in my house that night – and that’s 100%. Whether she done drugs anywhere else that night I don’t know.”

Have you ever taken cocaine?

“No. Never. I’ve never used drugs,” he states. “To be honest with you, I never seen Katy doing drugs. I’m not going to say it doesn’t happen. But I never seen her doing drugs because Katy knew how I felt about drugs. I have a younger brother with a drug problem and I’ve seen what drugs can do to families. I’m totally anti-drugs. I’ll go into a nightclub and drink bottles of vodka and fall out of the door on my face and wake up tomorrow with a hangover. That’s all I do.”

Hotpress article

The timeline of the above is clearly far different from the one almost every single newspaper has reported.

Ducie says that he does not take drugs and never took drugs, but yet phoned Memery before he called 999 (according to his phone records at least). He also says that Katy drank Champagne on top of Vodka but yet her blood alcohol level was miniscule. Corcoran apparently never seen Katy do drugs and doesn't do drugs herself either, yet both her and Ducie know a drug dealer well enough to be able to phone him and arrange drug deals to take place on behalf of other people and of course, they have been now been found guilty of doing so.

Colour me confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

www.rte.ie/news/2009/0612/waterford.html

So there was nothing done about the two lads that died in Waterford?

Do a bit of research FFS.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Am I the only one who feels a bit of sympathy for what this couple have gone through.

A young girl's death is attributable to her drug abuse. She is a socialite so the media are all over it and make her out to be a victim of the drug trade. Nobody forced her to take the drugs. 100% her own fault.

Dozens of people die every year as a result of drug overdoses, but because they are not well known or beautiful we hear nothing of it.

She played with fire and she got burnt. I would blame nobody except her for her actions. In fact if people want to go blaming people then blame the family who raised a girl who needed drugs to socialise. Obviously, it would be ridiculous to do so, but so to to blame her friends who procured drugs for her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

Hey does this mean none of us have personal responsibility anymore?

Hurray, let's all take smack and then blame everyone else when we end up losing a leg and dying on the street! Party!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Wasn't this in the same week as two young men in Cork who also took Cocaine and died (one was in a Coma for a while if I am remembering correctly)?. I remember a media frenzy warning people not to take Cocaine as it could be lethal.

Yes I agree, she took the drugs willingly and yes no one forced her to. However to expect to die from it is a little bit ott. I feel sorry for her of course, and she was foolish for taking the drug but it does not seem to be an 'overdose'. Maybe that theory was discounted and I missed it but I remember something about a 'bad batch' of the drug and the public being warned.

Secondly, why is the media only concentrating on this death when the other two guys also had similar deaths? The fact she was pretty and semi-famous (never heard of her myself tbh) should not be a valid reason???

Wasn't this in the same week as two young men in Cork who also took Cocaine and died (one was in a Coma for a while if I am remembering correctly)?. I remember a media frenzy warning people not to take Cocaine as it could be lethal.

Yes I agree, she took the drugs willingly and yes no one forced her to. However to expect to die from it is a little bit ott. I feel sorry for her of course, and she was foolish for taking the drug but it does not seem to be an 'overdose'. Maybe that theory was discounted and I missed it but I remember something about a 'bad batch' of the drug and the public being warned.

Secondly, why is the media only concentrating on this death when the other two guys also had similar deaths? The fact she was pretty and semi-famous (never heard of her myself tbh) should not be a valid reason???

Because stupid people will keep buying magazines and reading Daily Mail like sh1t about these people.

I refer you to three posts up about the guys in Waterford and not Cork, justice was done in both cases.

The media reporting of both is the difference not the justice system.

The Gardai did their job by apprehending the criminals in both cases,
    The judges did their job by sentencing the criminals in both cases,
    And the media will sell newspapers and magazines by reporting on the case which interests their customers. Therefore the media did their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

My apologies, don't know why I thought Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

kraggy wrote: »

probably happens all the time with people on drugs, but we don't hear about it because they are not "well known".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

katy french did herself no favours but there was few hours gap before she was taken to hospital so had ducie acted quicker , she might have survived , who knows, her family have admitted to her drug problems so its clear she was still quite addicted and there was a problem here for sure, even if this had not occurred, she may well have have overdosed a few months down the line

• Registered Users Posts: 20,552 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

She was old enough and bold enough to take it herself so she can't balme anyone but herself,
    I'm sure it wasn't the first time either,
    In the Mirror today Page 4 and 5 are both on French then hidden away on page 27 there are only a few lines about the 21yearold lad who died at the Swedish house Mafia gig last year of the same thing,
    If Kathy French wasn't a model and from an under privillaged part of city how many people would say its her own fault and not care,

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

catallus wrote: »
    "Her own fault that she died"; there is some cold sh1t coming from here tonight.

But it's the truth....nothing cold about it.
    I don't care if someone is the most hopelessly addicted person in the country; I won't degrade them by calling them "junkie"

Junkie = someone who's consumed by an addiction.
    Anybody who dies by drugs deserves the same amount of consideration as anyone who dies by other means.

Actually - I don't agree. I would feel a hell of a lot more sorry for someone who was raped and murdered rather than someone who is poisoning themselves day in, day out (or even just taking 1 lethal dose as a one-off) knowing the dangers.
    Some of the vitriol coming from here is actually shocking to me, some of it from posters who I would consider to be normally quite level headed.

I wouldn't call it vitriol - I'd call it sense!
    Everyone seems to be in rush to totally absolve those who supplied the drugs to her: in my opinion it is quite a display of moral acrobatics, to totally blame the dead person and to claim those who gave her the drugs are actually innocent.

Of course they're not innocent...I despise all drug-takers. BUT Katy did this of her own free will, they weren't forced into her. As someone said earlier, live by the sword, die by the sword.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

anncoates wrote: »
    Who?

There was rumours floating about of an aspiring young model who took cocaine, she denied it and took part in an anti-drugs advertising campaign, soon after died of what appeared to be a drug overdose.

My apologies, don't know why I thought Cork.

Shortly before all 3 incidents there was a lot of cocaine found in a bay somewhere in Cork. It was thought to be possible that someone could have gotten a hold of some prior to the Gardaí collecting it themselves. It was assumed that if it were so, than this "wet Cocaine" could have been an issue that was related to the 3 incidents. Although I think that was just media speculation.

• Advertisement

FFS people they weren't charged with killing her. Nobody is trying to say they murdered her. They were charged with arranging drugs for her. If she didn't die they still committed the same offence. People get caught with a few €100 worth of coke every weekend.

So what if she took it herself, so what if she shoved it all up her ****ing arse and died. The drugs were arranged for her. They committed the offence and they were charged and sentenced. The very same as the deaths in Waterford a week later, the very same as the lethal heroin that showed up in Cork. Selling, supplying, aiding the supply of and carrying cocaine are all illegal.

The only thing different here is the media reporting.

Advertisement