Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katy French's death: was justice done?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

I think you can't blame a bereaved family for wanting blood and maybe ignoring their own daughters responsibility in all this. You can't expect them to think rationally and be unbiased about it, that's why we have the justice system to step in to make an impartial judgement on the case.

The thing people seem to look over is the fact that they didn't call emergency services until an hour and a half after she collapsed. That's where the responsibility lies on the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Real Life wrote: »
    thats completely irrelevant here. whether hes a nice person or not doesnt come into it. Hes been giving a sentence that others wouldnt have received just because of the deceased's profile. Thats my opinion anyway

Fair point, but I find it hard to have any sympathy for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I remember this case, I also remember 2 junkies overdosed as well I think either that same night or the next one, they got a 2 minute mention on the news.

These 3 people knew the dangers of drugs and paid the price but noone will make a poor person into a saint after they die.

I remember it was around the time of the two lads in Waterford.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 240 ✭✭The Barefoot Pizza Thief

Did everyone miss:
    many people reach their demise from drug taking and yet I never see such charges being brought on those that procured drugs for them and tbh, I think people should take responsibility for their own drug taking

I even said in the OP that I do NOT feel the pair should have been charged with nor held responsible for Katy taking drugs.

Again: I feel that justice wasn't served because these people heard her collapse and yet waited 95 minutes to phone an ambulance and when they eventually did, they did not inform medics (who may still have been able to save her life) that she had taken cocaine. It was a deliberate choice as they made other phone calls and that to me is unacceptable and clearly qualifies as endangering a person's life. I wonder if people would feel the same if it was their family member that had lain there for 90 minutes needing obvious medical care, while the two people they were with, stood by and did nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Some of the responses on here are a tiny bit harsh on the woman who died. Ok she might have had a drug problem, but that doesn't mean her death wasn't another tragedy in the long line of tragedies brought about by the purveyors of illegal drugs. I know she made the decision to take the gear but why are so many so flippant over her death.

Of course the family are bitter; they probably need closure and are looking for someone to blame apart from their daughter, I'm not saying that they are right or anything; it is just sad when we've become so inured to such wasteful tragedy that so many can turn around and say, "she had it coming".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Standman wrote: »
    The thing people seem to look over is the fact that they didn't call emergency services until an hour and a half after she collapsed. That's where the responsibility lies on the others.

The charges for this were dropped.

A second charge, that the pair intentionally or recklessly engaged in conduct which created a substantial risk of death or serious harm to Ms French, was recently dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

catallus wrote: »
    Some of the responses on here are a tiny bit harsh on the woman who died. Ok she might have had a drug problem, but that doesn't mean her death wasn't another tragedy in the long line of tragedies brought about by the purveyors of illegal drugs. I know she made the decision to take the gear but why are so many so flippant over her death.

Of course the family are bitter; they probably need closure and are looking for someone to blame apart from their daughter, I'm not saying that they are right or anything; it is just sad when we've become so inured to such wasteful tragedy that so many can turn around and say, "she had it coming".

Do you remember the coverage this received at the time? It was utterly, utterly nauseating. It's the ridiculous coverage that annoys people and also the double standards of the media when, as others have pointed out, a few lads in Waterford died from an overdose the very same weekend and it was passed over and nobody was arrested in relation to that.
    Bertie Aherne sending a representative to the funeral sums it all up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

ah but she'd only love this, more famous in death than she ever was alive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

Did everyone miss:

I even said in the OP that I do NOT feel the pair should have been charged with nor held responsible for Katy taking drugs.

Again: I feel that justice wasn't served because these people heard her collapse and yet waited 95 minutes to phone an ambulance and when they eventually did, they did not inform medics (who may still have been able to save her life) that she had taken cocaine. It was a deliberate choice as they made other phone calls and that to me is unacceptable and clearly qualifies as endangering a person's life. I wonder if people would feel the same if it was their family member that had lain there for 90 minutes needing obvious medical care, while the two people they were with, stood by and did nothing.

Maybe it was not the first time this happened to her in their company, maybe they thought she would be ok.
    I dunno about saving her life, perhaps it was to late anyway.

Ridiculous coverage can be avoided by the viewer, the media shove ridiculous crap down our throats week-in week-out. It's her fault the national media is a mess?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

I'm flippant over every other drugs death and people will be flippant over mine too if I do something stupid

The great outpouring of sympathy is because she was a woman, she looked nice and some few people might have heard of her before ( I didn't until she was dead ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Ridiculous coverage can be avoided by the viewer, the media shove ridiculous crap down our throats week-in week-out. It's her fault the national media is a mess?

She got fat off the national media.

Well, she did make a living out of the media and it was her own fault that she died.

"Her own fault that she died"; there is some cold sh1t coming from here tonight.

I don't care if someone is the most hopelessly addicted person in the country; I won't degrade them by calling them "junkie"

Anybody who dies by drugs deserves the same amount of consideration as anyone who dies by other means.

Some of the vitriol coming from here is actually shocking to me, some of it from posters who I would consider to be normally quite level headed.

Everyone seems to be in rush to totally absolve those who supplied the drugs to her: in my opinion it is quite a display of moral acrobatics, to totally blame the dead person and to claim those who gave her the drugs are actually innocent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

I do feel for the family who have lost a daughter but she was media hungry and wasn't there a big media thing surrounding her birthday ?
    She invited loads of so called " friends " but they went off elsewhere that night any way the real reason why I'm addin my tuppence worth is that the family said " justice has not been served "
    Well they join all the other family's in d country who s loved ones were taken away from them and it was not their choice to die or to be murdered
    K F had that choice .....a choice to live r dice death
    Others did not ..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Tests revealed half a glass of wine and 0.8mg of cocaine in her system - 4% of what can be considered a lethal dose - along with traces of antibiotics for a kidney infection, cough medicine and contraceptives, according to her family.

I'm curious about this and I do realise the information is down as coming from her family which means it may not be accurate - but if what she had taken was only 4% of a lethal dose than she shouldn't have died, should she? So how come if the other pair said she was knocking back champagne had she only half a glass in her system?

Anybody who dies by drugs deserves the same amount of consideration as anyone who dies by other means.

Too right.
    I await your weekly thread about Anto/Deco/Rasher from (insert socially disadvantaged area), as each one dies in a squalid flat from their own particular overdose cocktail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

I remember her doing her own version of "tennis arse". Every bollix wanted a lend of the newspaper that day.

"Her own fault that she died"; there is some cold sh1t coming from here tonight.

Whose fault was it then?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ihateusernames

First of all, heartfelt condolences to her family, and all families who have suffered at the hands of drugs.
    Just want to make 2 points really, first is more an observation
    Tragic Katy French
    Tragic Gerry Ryan
    Tragic Amy Winehouse
    If ur famous you are Tragic and a junkie/known criminal if your not. Treat everyone the same, all tragic or all junkies.
    Second neither of the 2 were convicted relating to the so called delay, should we be talking about it like they were?

• Advertisement

Many here seem to be positively revelling in the death of a young woman; that's the source of my problem here.

People die from drugs up and down the country every week; people seem willing to blind themselves to the menace that is propagated by drug dealers, and as far as I'm concerned it is a moral cowardice by those who are willing to ignore the problem until it comes to their own doorstep, and then of course it is too late.

HondaSami wrote: »
    Maybe it was not the first time this happened to her in their company, maybe they thought she would be ok.
    I dunno about saving her life, perhaps it was to late anyway.

Well, I guess we'll never know but when they found her she was in the middle of having a fit, head back, arms and legs outreached and had there been episodes where she fitted before and went on to recover, surely that would have come out in the evidence.

Also, people who are criticising the family should bear in mind that they are not responsible for the media's portrayal of Katy and most likely don't hold anyone else responsible for her taking drugs. Indeed, any anger that I have heard from the parents seems to be either directed at certain sections of the media or focuses on the fact that an ambulance wasn't called for her when she was obviously in need of one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

Does everyone deserve the same consideration or just those in the limelight? Why was so much effort put into solving her death/finding the people responsible or do you think this is the same for any junkie who dies?

Many here seem to be positively revelling in the death of a young woman; that's the source of my problem here.

People die from drugs up and down the country every week; people seem willing to blind themselves to the menace that is propagated by drug dealers, and as far as I'm concerned it is a moral cowardice by those who are willing to ignore the problem until it comes to their own doorstep, and then of course it is too late.

You are either unwilling to understand what people are saying here or you actually don't understand what people are saying.
    Good luck!:rolleyes:

Moral of the story folks.......

Don't mix your drugs, as you'll either end up a dead junkie or else Ireland's queen of hearts.
    All depending on your socio-economic standing of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

I thought it was Bertie Ahern's Aide de Camp? Either way,it was bizarre.

Sure Bertie was as media hungry as she was..

mikom wrote: »
    I await your weekly thread about Anto/Deco/Rasher from (insert socially disadvantaged area), as each one dies in a squalid flat from their own particular overdose cocktail.

I know this was in reply to another user but I without question would be calling for the same justice were it a Deco/Anto or Rasher that had been left fitting for 95 minutes without so much as an ambulance being called by two people he was with.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ihateusernames

I know this was in reply to another user but I without question would be calling for the same justice were it a Deco/Anto or Rasher that had been left fitting for 95 minutes without so much as an ambulance being called by two people he was with.

I could make accusations about things you may or may not have done and never convicted of.

I could make accusations about things you may or may not have done and never convicted of.

You infer that there are no grounds for my accusations but on the contrary, there are:
    According to the former couple, they heard a bang at about 8.30am from the downstairs room where Ms French was found having a fit.

But the court heard emergency services were not called until 10.05am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

mike65 wrote: »
    Pity he is free to continue as a piece of crap.
    fullstop wrote: »
    Yes, because Ducie is such a nice fellow :rolleyes:

Fire away lads, he doesn't work for KPMG. :D

Advertisement