Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Astronomy Ireland really be considered an 'Astronomy club' anymore?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 npc_100

........ As a young lad I visited my grandad's golf club. That had a shop too, such evil :-)

Were you ever told to leave the golf course for having clubs that were not the same brand as the ones sold in the club shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Whats the site called please?

Nice one Ficus thanks, they need to spread the word on the forums a bit more, a bit pricey but with free shipping on orders over €50 they could be competitive again. Was just thinking the last few nights with Jupiter, Venus and the Moon Ive been wishing I had something more than binoculars, sold my last scope when I had to move up to Dublin for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Mr Teeny

Great to see a bit of competition in sales. On the hunt for a new scope myself so lovely to have an extra Irish option :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 SPACEJOCKEY

its a joke its not even a store we dont even know who the are
    i tell ya what give me loads of money and ill order your stuff
    for you thats all their doing their even more expensive than AI
    id rather shop at AI than this online shop.

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    Nice one Ficus thanks, they need to spread the word on the forums a bit more, a bit pricey but with free shipping on orders over €50 they could be competitive again. Was just thinking the last few nights with Jupiter, Venus and the Moon Ive been wishing I had something more than binoculars, sold my last scope when I had to move up to Dublin for work.

if it were a real shop they might be able to get away with the prices
    but a online shop = what they really mean is give us the money and
    we will order for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭dmcdona

their even more expensive than AI

Can you give us any price comparisons to back this up? That would be really helpful for anyone about to make a purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

Just thought I would take the opportunity to respond.

We are in fact more than a 'take your order and get the stock in' operation. We hold a fair bit of stock. We have most of the the Astro-Professional products in stock, with the exception of a scope/accessory or 2 that we have sold out of. We have a range of Meade scopes and accessories on the way to us, there is a Bresser order being put together with the supplier as we speak as the products become available on the site. The Imaging Source range is special order.

As with any retailer there will always be some items that we do not have, we even currently have items on backorder that we are still chasing down an eta on.

In relation to price, we have price matched against the majority of UK and European retailers. And we deliver orders over €50 for free! I know for a fact that we offer the range of CCD camera's at significantly cheaper prices than AI. Also the prices of the 70mm starter scopes and the 8" fork-mount SCT for example are cheaper than the (closest to) equivalent. As we are not selling the same ranges, its hard to produce a like for like comparison. (We have 8", 10" and 12" SCT's, AI have 8", 9" and 11" SCT's)
    Again, there will always be some situations where we are out priced, if this occurs then just go with the cheaper option if it meets all your needs. Or you could be cheeky and approach us for a better deal....its been done!

We are currently just an online shop. In the current climate, I feel its the only viable option for a start up company like us. I'd need to be shifting a hell of a lot of scopes to cover the rent in a retail unit!! But that is the ultimate plan, so watch this space.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Mr Teeny

Just to add to Kersh's comment regarding stock... I have bought stuff from AI on more than one occasion that had to be ordered in from their supplier as they didn't have them in stock (specific add ons for my scope mainly). So the fact that AI have a window to display some of their gear makes very little difference. Yes it's nice to see scopes up close and personal before you buy but it doesn't make them any better than a well stocked online Irish shop. I'll also add that his prices are very reasonable from what I can see and I'm loving the fact that he's willing to haggle on price (might come in handy when I get a few quid together to go shopping) :)

Kersh, as I said above, delighted to see a bit of competition so close to home.

Best of luck with your venture, hope it's a great success and you have a definite visitor if you do open up a shop in the future :)

Just one word of advice... if you happen to start up an astronomy club in the future, make sure the shop and club stay well away from each other... you don't wont one of these threads about you :D

sorry your making me feel bad :o i was a bit harsh yesterday we always
    say things online that we would not say in person and your only starting
    as well AI has a ten ****ing year head start on you what is it the pakistanis
    say long live ketec death to AI :D.

• Advertisement

Just one word of advice... if you happen to start up an astronomy club in the future, make sure the shop and club stay well away from each other... you don't wont one of these threads about you :D[/QUOTE]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Popped into AI shop last week to pick up some Baader film. Also picked up a book a friend wanted. Had a grand half hour chat, and was offered a nice discount without asking for it. Bill came to less than amazon, excluding shipping cost. Not a regular customer. Hadn't been to the shop since it was in tallaght.

Just thought I'd mention it.

jokes aside AI is a good shop its just the prices they charge and
    kicking people out of a telescope party for not having a telescope
    they sell they were still at it even this year in march keeping all the
    skywatcher mounts like EQ-5 and EQ-6 pro to the back only people
    were aloud to look with the celestron scopes im not making this **** up
    this was at the mars watch.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,798 ✭✭✭Calibos

Gliese, is that you??

• Registered Users Posts: 37 majestic0110

Just bought a load of stuff from Ktec Telescopes and I am absolutely delighted with my purchase! The chap I dealt with was EXTREMELY helpful and answered all my questions perfectly. Being quite new to astronomy and astrophotography I had lots of queries for him and he answered each and every one extremely well. Also, I found the prices to be very good and I was amazed that he was able to get the main part of my (large and esoteric) order out to me the VERY next day, I was chuffed ! I wouldn't even expect such a great service to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭irishgeo

any good astronomey clubs in mayo?

Nearly a year to the day since this thread was needed :P
    Dear Subscriber,

This list is being temporarily disabled pending investigation.

We Apologise for any inconvenience caused.

on behalf of the Redbrick Admin team,
    Regards,

Richard Walsh
    Redbrick SysAdmin '13/'14
    Got that this morning in my my main inbox even though all mail from AA is supposed to be filtered into a spam folder as it has been doing for a year or two now, whats it about does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,798 ✭✭✭Calibos

Got that this morning in my my main inbox even though all mail from AA is supposed to be filtered into a spam folder as it has been doing for a year or two now, whats it about does anyone know?

You were TOLD...You were TOLD!!

DO NOT REPORT ANY METEORS TO AI....

....or forever will they consume your Inbox!!

;)

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

the proper place to report meteors

International Meteor Organization

• Registered Users Posts: 22 manic_dave

Still getting email from Astronomy Ireland ?

Did you buy something from the Shop and are now getting emails from the so called club?

Did you report something to them and started getting spammed?

All of the above is breaking the law.

How can i stop it? Simples

http://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Contact-us/11.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Can't see what all the fuss is about. If it gets you so worked up, just hit the unsubscribe button. :)

Its not that easy to unsubscribe, its also illegal.

manic_dave wrote: »
    Its not that easy to unsubscribe, its also illegal.

Jeeze man you are working yourself up about nothing. There are far more important things going on instead of whinging about a couple of emails every week.

Perhaps your user name is well chosen ;)

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Jeeze man you are working yourself up about nothing. There are far more important things going on rather than whinging about a couple of emails every week.

Perhaps your user name is well chosen ;)

Perhaps your one of Moores little helpers?

manic_dave wrote: »
    Perhaps your one of Moores little helpers?

Excuse me, I've never been accused of being little in my entire life :)

And now according to the allmighty Astronomy Ireland. the Magazine is and I quote from this monrings spam

"Remember, AI is the only Irish monthly newsstand magazine"

Im sure there are plenty more, VIP, RSVP, Irish Tatler and IMage, just to name a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

They are watching you Thargor haha ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

irishgeo wrote: »
    any good astronomey clubs in mayo?

irishgeo, I see nobody replied to this. The Galway Astronomy Club covers Mayo too as far as I am aware.

http://galwayastronomyclub.ie/

Great bunch of guys and a really great club. Check them out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Haven't got an email from them in months, it used to be every few days, the plot thickens :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Baggirshorts

Well....the shop is gone now!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement