Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Import Rifle From Northern Ireland

Options
  • 23-10-2014 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Having become interested in shooting over the Summer, aided by a gun mad mate, I am finally going to take the plunge and purchase my first rifle. Despite all his advices I would like an air rifle in preference to a .22 or shotgun. I can always add to the collection down the line.

Spent hours doing my homework, reading forums and watching YouTube and finally decided on a Weihrauch HW98. Did a little gun shopping when I was in the UK last week and really liked the rifle. Initially, I was leaning to an SMK 208 but there was no comparison, admittedly there is a large price difference though.

I want to get the rifle Stage 1 tuned by Sandwell Field Sports however, if I buy from an RFD here, I will have to go though the whole export/ import hassle to send it to SFS for tuning. The carriage costs will also be significant. The alternative option is to buy direct from SFS, have it tuned and then sent over. Unfortunately SFS can only send to UK so it will have to be sent to the North.

Do I need to use a Northern RFD to bring the rifle over or can it be sent to an individual in the North? I have family up North who would happily receive the rifle. I am aware that I will have to complete and submit the necessary Form to import the rifle from the North down here. Hopefully it will be processed quickly as Tony from SFS was estimating an 8 to 10 week waiting time for Stage 1 tunes and that is a long enough wait.

One last query, is it ok to buy pellets up North and bring down here in a car or should an import application be made?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

A couple of things that might help you.
    • An air rifle up North is the same as down here. It needs a license. In the UK they don't (or not for some under a certain power). So if sending it to someone in the North they would need a "Nord Iron" firearms license. That being the case a dealer would most likely need to be involved. You then import from the dealer in the North.
    • To buy pellets you need an import license as they are classed as live ammo the same as a shotgun cartridge, .22lr, .2243, .308, etc. These can be downloaded from the Justice website and are free. DO NOT attempt to buy and bring across without one as it's an offence.

My advice, if you have not already tried it, is to go to a dealer in the North, get the gun you want, have them send it across to the UK for tuning, ge it back, and then import.

Sam Kelly in Intershoot (Omagh), and Gavin/Cecil in Tanyoky Guns (Newry) have a large selection of guns (air rifles) and deal frequently with lads from the South so can actually help and speed up the buying/import process for you.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭thedavman009

Many thanks Cass.

I did not realise NI individuals required a licence, unlike England, provided the air rifle is sub 12ft/lbs. If I do import I will be obliged to use NI RFD.

I am up North on Saturday and will be calling into Tannyoky to speak to them about buying from them and sending for tuning versus buying from UK, sending to NI and importing to ROI. Tannyoky were competitively priced for the HW98 (only £20 more expensive) and obviously the sooner I get a serial number the sooner I can submit my Firearms Licence Application.

Amazed that pellets are classed as live ammo. I had hoped to bring back a number of pellet test packs from the UK to see what the rifle shoots best with. Glad I didn't, would not like to be stopped at UK Airport Security with 'live ammo'.

For years i thought NI was the same as the UK in terms of no license needed for an air rifle, but was informed they need a license by the lads some years back. I then looked up the information on the NI PSNI website. It seems a lot of things are similar to here, yet different to the UK.

The pellets are an odd one. In the UK and NI some "ammo" is classed as either target or does not require a license to buy. This may include pellets (i don't honestly know as i've never bought pellets) and does include some "regular" rifle ammo that is classed as target ammo. However the fact that it can be bought without a license in the UK or NI does not cover RoI. All ammo for any type of firearm is classed as ammo. Hell even spent ammo (brass) is classed as live ammo here and requires a license for the caliber of the brass you have. So while you might be able to buy it in the UK/NI without a license you need a license and import license for it here.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Cass wrote: »
    Hell even spent ammo (brass) is classed as live ammo here and requires a license for the caliber of the brass you have.

Unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 k31

Hi, I myself have dealt with Gavin & Cecil in Tannyoakey and found them both very helpful and professional. If you do purchase off them the process of application is just the same. Fill in Fca1 form and submit to Gardaí. When you get your licence you can go on the Dept of justice website and download/print off an Article 11 import licence (for an individual ). Fill in same and email or post to DOJ enclosing a photocopy of your firearms licence. They are normally very quick and it should only take about a week. Best of luck with your purchase.

• Advertisement

Great.

I was expecting a potential further 3 month wait for the import licence similar to a gun licence.

Here is the link to the form.

A samll tip. The ladies dealing with them only process applications on a Monday. Then post by Wednesday. So make sure your online application is submitted by no later than Friday evening. If you submit it at any point through the week it may sit until the next week before being processed. However at the worst it'll be 10 working days for you to get the import license.

Make sure you read the form carefully as you need certain details including the dealer details from the dealer you are buying/importing from, and if you have no license the dealer it's going to.

Also if you are going to pick up the rifle then you need a Northern Ireland visitors pass to allow you to carry/transport the gun through Northern Ireland. Hence the reason sending to a Southern Dealer might be the cheaper/easier option. You can get info on a NI visitor's pass (Form 30-38) here. You'll need to pay a fee, apply weeks in advance of collecting, have a European Firearms Pass, and a sponsor to nominate you for the visitors pass.

I just spoke with Cecil in Tannyoky who thoroughly advised me about the import process including obtaining the NI Visitor Pass.

SFS advised they have an 8-10 week wait for tuning presently so it should provide me with plenty of time to have all the necessary paperwork sorted. Just need to get the serial number now and begin the process.

Thanks again Cass.

Given I will be purchasing from a UK RFD, they will not have a Pulse ID. When completing Section 3.3 Source of Firearm in the Firearm Application should I complete Section B Acquired from Private Source and enter the relevant information there?

They will not have a PULSE ID but they will have a dealer certificate, dealer registration number, etc. The last time i done this i got a copy of this and included it in my application. Simply ring the dealer you are dealing with and they will furnish you with the necessary paperwork.

Private source is not correct so don't use that.

• Advertisement

The UK RFD is to email me their registration info/ cert so I will include a copy with the Application.

That's the one.

Advertisement