Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Have my PS4 pre-ordered.

Not ruling in or out getting an XOne at some point in time but I won't be paying more than about €250 for one I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Xenji wrote: »
    It is not even out till March, we do not know how good it will even be, sure it won 6 Game Critic Awards at E3

I know when it's out, I've seen it up close, I've played it, and I've arrived at my opinion as stated :)

The Last of Us is the best game of the year

Would have to strongly disagree with that TBH. Didn't rate it at all, personally

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

I was Xbox360 this generation but I will be going back to PS4, but I will probably wait a few months to buy it, have a backlog of Xbox games to finish off ha

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

COYVB wrote: »
    Would have to strongly disagree with that TBH. Didn't rate it at all, personally

You didn't rate GTA either. But most people will pick either GTA or the Last of Us as their game of their year. So you are in the minority regarding both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Kirby wrote: »
    You didn't rate GTA either. But most people will pick either GTA or the Last of Us as their game of their year. So you are in the minority regarding both.

Must be in the minority as well as I reckon it was Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl, but only as I found it more enjoyable than the other two, each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Some would say PS3 is, and my PS will be wasted on me. I cannot STAND JRPGs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Grayditch wrote: »
    Some would say PS3 is, and my PS will be wasted on me. I cannot STAND JRPGs.

They are a acquired taste, but I love them, I import loads of them, probably helps as well that I have a very good understanding of the Japanese language and am a bit of a japanophile.

I just can't do it "read a page of badly translated, or badly written text, hit the button, read another page...and another.. walk, bump into more enemies, turn based fight, more text, hey look how weird we made this guys hair, isn't that cool... more text...text..text..."

I get why people like them, I do, I just can't. I've tried!

Kirby wrote: »

I revised my GTA opinion and actually wrote quite a glowing review and gave it 9/10 in the end. TLOU isn't in the top 10 of the year for me, or anywhere close

• Advertisement

Nowhere close to top ten almost makes it sound bad. Which of course it isn't. In my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

COYVB wrote: »
    I revised my GTA opinion and actually wrote quite a glowing review and gave it 9/10 in the end. TLOU isn't in the top 10 of the year for me, or anywhere close

I'm confused. Does that mean the publisher didn't pay you or that 10 other publishers paid you more? :)

Hope you take that as the joke it's intended to be since isn't that what everyone cries when a game gets a good score.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

PS4 for me. For pretty much this reason:
    Penn wrote: »
    PS4 at launch. Don't know if I'll go for the XB1 at a later stage. Have the PS3 and 360, but just rarely bother with the 360 these days. While some of the XB1 exclusives do look great, and probable unannounced exclusives down the line, I just don't think it'll be enough to make me get both. PS4 is definitely my preference though. While all the "Social & Sharing" features don't interest me in the slightest, the PS3 was just a brilliant console, PS+ has been insane value for money, and there's simply nothing the XB1 has that I want which the PS4 doesn't also have.
    Xbox has nothing I want that the ps4 can't do. Xbox is 100 quid more expensive for that crappy gimmick camera thingie. The only reason I can see for going for the xbox is because it has an exclusive that you simply must have. But over the life of the console both will have amazing exclusives, for me they're not a reason to buy a particular console.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Grayditch wrote: »
    I just can't do it "read a page of badly translated, or badly written text, hit the button, read another page...and another.. walk, bump into more enemies, turn based fight, more text, hey look how weird we made this guys hair, isn't that cool... more text...text..text..."

I get why people like them, I do, I just can't. I've tried!

To anyone that hates jrpgs all I can say is that there's more than final fantasy in the genre and final fantasy is far from the best the genre has to offer or indicative of how most Japanese RPGs play.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jiminho

I guess the points been made by most people do make it seem the PS4 is a better choice for a gamer. I think the Xbox One will sell better tho because it is more of a full media machine. For me, I don't buy a lot of games, I just play a few a lot, like Halo, COD, Fifa etc. Switching between TV and games is a pretty cool feature and the feature where you can make and receive skype calls is awesome. I know a lot of people will say 100 quid is a lot of money but i think for quite a lot of people as well they'll see that the kinect is worth more then that and see it as a steal. While the kinect is a bit of a gimic i admit, I've had a few fun nights just messing about at parties with it along with the Wii, so it's not entirely a waste of money. It will be interesting to see what the numbers say after a year but I do think Xbox might nick it if only because i think it appeals to a wider market.

jiminho wrote: »
    I think the Xbox One will sell better tho

I doubt that to be honest. Microsoft will need to seriously get back in the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    To anyone that hates jrpgs all I can say is that there's more than final fantasy in the genre and final fantasy is far from the best the genre has to offer or indicative of how most Japanese RPGs play.
    But Final Fantasy is awesome, just you wait they will release another good one then you will feel silly

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

astonaidan wrote: »
    But Final Fantasy was awesome, just you wait they will release another good one then you will feel silly

Fixed your post there for you. I'll be playing Shin Megami Tensei IV, Etrian Odyssey and Fire Emblem while I wait for that to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ps4, put my name down on gamesnash.ie for a ps4 when/if they get stock. Always went with Playstation. Hate the xbox controllers. Sony have absolutely spoilt me with PS+. Still have 'free' games that I didnt get around to playing yet.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'll be playing Shin Megami Tensei IV, Etrian Odyssey and Fire Emblem while I wait for that to happen.

You'll be a while finishing those 8 games! Wait, that's 8 games there, right :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

jiminho wrote: »
    I guess the points been made by most people do make it seem the PS4 is a better choice for a gamer. I think the Xbox One will sell better tho because it is more of a full media machine. For me, I don't buy a lot of games, I just play a few a lot, like Halo, COD, Fifa etc. Switching between TV and games is a pretty cool feature and the feature where you can make and receive skype calls is awesome. I know a lot of people will say 100 quid is a lot of money but i think for quite a lot of people as well they'll see that the kinect is worth more then that and see it as a steal. While the kinect is a bit of a gimic i admit, I've had a few fun nights just messing about at parties with it along with the Wii, so it's not entirely a waste of money. It will be interesting to see what the numbers say after a year but I do think Xbox might nick it if only because i think it appeals to a wider market.

Almost definitely not after a year. Maybe further down the line, but a lot of gamers (not just here, but on many sites) have either said they'll get the PS4 first and maybe the XB1 further down the line, or have jumped ship from XB1 to PS4 with much fewer going in the other direction. The whole DRM and Kinect stuff really made a lot of people sway towards the PS4 as their first choice, which I think was the fault of MS marketing rather than the functions themselves, as they were really badly explained and scared a lot of people off. While MS had backtracked or dropped certain features, trust was lost.

For the first 18 months or so I definitely expect PS4 to be in the lead. What happens after that depends on exclusives and price drops which can't really be foreseen. Next Christmas will be the big test.

How costly, the Xbox One initial marketing failure. Absolutely mental. It's like when Facebook went ahead of Myspace. It's some lead to lose.

Honestly, MS had to change so much (and they did, to their credit) but it will take a rake load of incredible exclusives and maybe some plan like PsPlus to level it out again, I'd say. I think the Xbox One is a much better console than the polls stats would lead a person to believe, and that's down to the mismanagement of the marketing and initial restrictions. They lost the first battle, but it's a 10 year war. Sony managed to play catch up well for the last few years, and hopefully it's gamers who benefit from the two trying to out-do each other this time, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Sure the X1 is €100 dearer than the PS4, but not only are us European gamers getting a Kinect included we are also getting a game worth €60, so it's really €40 dearer*, or a kinect for the bargain price of €40.

*Most PS4 owners will spend €60 on a launch game

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Can't vote, as I'll be getting both. I'm going to get both because I know they'll both have great games that'll justify owning the respective consoles. Just a question of when they start to come out. Metal Gear Solid 5 is going to be a must own title. I want to see how good D4 is. If D4 is as good as I hope, I might buy the One when all the episodes of that have been released. PS4 exclusives, well The Order could be good, but I don't know if it'll be buy this system good.
    Shiminay wrote: »
    To the few people who are buying both - are you mad? :D Take that €900 and build a high powered gaming PC (and you'll build a fine beast for that money).
    A PC isn't going to do me any favours in playing console exclusives.
    kitnan wrote: »
    I guess there is a lot up in the air until release day for the consoles hit.
    If only it were so simple. In truth, it's going to be up in the air as more system updates come out. Wouldn't be out of the question to figure it'll be up in the air for the first 2 years into the gen, if not longer.

I'm not sure everyone wants that Kinect thing. I'm getting a PS4, KillZone 4 an extra controller and PS Camera for 500, and I don't want that damn camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Sure the X1 is €100 dearer than the PS4, but not only are us European gamers getting a Kinect included but we are also getting a game worth €60 so it's really €40 dearer or a kinect for a bargain price of €40.

A bargain is a BARGAIN, when item is actually needed/wanted/Cheap as chips. 40eu for an item nobody ( okay, 7 people world wide want it ) wants is a freaking robbery in the middle of the day.

ps4 399eu + controller 65eu + Killzone 65eu + Camera 60eu = 590eu

Killzone bundle - 499eu. Now thats a fecking bargain camera, because you can sell on camera for at least 30eu and still get controller and Game cheaper then buying individually. So yeah, MS has a very ****ed up "bargain" definition.

*Will spend 60eu on game, which they actually want. Not everyone drools over balls on a pitch. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I don't trust any poll that doesn't show names.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Varik wrote: »
    I don't trust any poll that doesn't show names.

I only trust Polls on which Beautiful girls perform amazing stunts. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

A bargain is a BARGAIN, when item is actually needed/wanted/Cheap as chips. 40eu for an item nobody ( okay, 7 people world wide want it ) wants is a freaking robbery in the middle of the day.

ps4 399eu + controller 65eu + Killzone 65eu + Camera 60eu = 590eu

Killzone bundle - 499eu. Now thats a fecking bargain camera, because you can sell on camera for at least 30eu and still get controller and Game cheaper then buying individually. So yeah, MS has a very ****ed up "bargain" definition.

*Will spend 60eu on game, which they actually want. Not everyone drools over balls on a pitch. :pac:

I'm getting Forza a game everyone is drooling over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

PS4 for me

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement