Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Rebel Rebel

When the 360 and PS3 launched the tech they had was ahead of the game and it represented value for money to get 1 or both, but with the next gen only currently supporting 720p or 30fps i feel they are startling off with tech that will be outdated and struggle it 2-3 years, if not already. Can't see the next gen hanging around as long as the 360 or PS3. So neither for me as i feel in steambox or pc will be the new kings of gaming

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

To the few people who are buying both - are you mad? :D Take that €900 and build a high powered gaming PC (and you'll build a fine beast for that money).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

jiminho wrote: »
    Just curiously, to all the people who picked the PS4, why are you picking it over the Xbox One? I mean is it the price? Whats 100 quid when your going to keep the console for years. The games? Personnel taste I guess but i thought this would be divided 50/50. I just wonder why the poll is so one sided.

For me it'd be games. for now the only next gen game that I'm interested in is Infamous as I'm a fan of the series. I've no interest in online gaming which rules out games like Titanfall.
    For now I have a backlog of PS3, Wii U, Wii and PC games to work through

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

COYVB wrote: »
    Wouldn't go that far. Titanfall is shaping up to be a find game, but a game changer it ain't

It is not even out till March, we do not know how good it will even be, sure it won 6 Game Critic Awards at E3, but The Last of Us won 5 last year and I did not find it amazing or game changing in my personal opinion and I was looking forward to it, plus it is a online only game, it has no offline mode or story mode, plus you are not able to play local couch co-op with friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Shiminay wrote: »
    To the few people who are buying both - are you mad? :D Take that €900 and build a high powered gaming PC (and you'll build a fine beast for that money).

€900 that still won't allow you to play Naughty Dog's next game. :p I kid, of course that point can be made about every platform :pac:

I'm not buying either console, probably for quite a while. There are too many games from this generation that I haven't finished, and I'm not willing to move on on the assumption that I'll play them at some stage, because the backlog is growing, not shrinking, with time. I need to be a realist. If I'm ever going to finish Skyward Sword, and 20 other games that deserve my time, it's now, not after I buy shiny new hardware that will draw all my attention. Also, the next gen doesn't start until I've put 100+ hours into Dark Souls II.

When I do buy a next-gen console, it will be the PS4 and for 2 reasons primarily.
    1. I can't imagine missing out on Naughty Dog's next game.
    2. I am a PlayStation Plus subscriber (with membership paid until Sept 2015 - thank you special offers). If that service offers 1 free game per month on the PS4, then in 1 year's time, I'll have 12 games for the platform when I buy it. This is what happened with the PS Vita. I added the games all along, then when I eventually bought the thing I already had Uncharted, Gravity Rush, Rayman, Limbo, WipeOut, Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, and about 12 other games just waiting for me. That is a value proposition I can't pass up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,316 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

and now we have a new kid on the block with the Steam Machine
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/04/valve-steam-machine-hands-on/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Penn wrote: »
    Have you used a PS4 controller? I know most people preferred the 360 controller over the PS3, but I thought that reports were indicating that the PS4's controller is much improved and possibly even on a par with the XB1's controller, or at least that the difference between them was largely insignificant.

It looks like a bigger version of the PS3 controller. The analog sticks are in the same place which i hate and the awful triggers look slightly improved.
    Xenji wrote: »
    It is not even out till March, we do not know how good it will even be, sure it won 6 Game Critic Awards at E3, but The Last of Us won 5 last year and I did not find it amazing or game changing in my personal opinion and I was looking forward to it, plus it is a online only game, it has no offline mode or story mode, plus you are not able to play local couch co-op with friends.

The Last of Us is the best game of the year and nobody buys COD or Battlefield for single player.

It looks like a bigger version of the PS3 controller. The analog sticks are in the same place which i hate and the awful triggers look slightly improved.

The Last of Us is the best game of the year and nobody buys COD or Battlefield for single player.

A lot of people have friends who come around to play games like CoD and BF, something you cannot do with Titanfall unless they bring their consoles over as well. From a enjoyment point of view for me I actually would say the Last of Us was the 5th best game I played this year :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

A lot of people have friends who come around to play games like CoD and BF, something you cannot do with Titanfall unless they bring their consoles over as well. From a enjoyment point of view for me I actually would say the Last of Us was the 5th best game I played this year :pac:

Xenji no one calls over to play COD and the new one only has 2 player split screen. Whatever minority do play that, absolutely no one comes around to play BF as that is only a 1 player game.

I get the feeling Titanfall isn't aimed at you as you seem to have a few issues with it already. But I guarantee the people who play BF and (in particular) COD will check this game out. It's definitely a fun game.

Also... what were the other 4 games you preferred over TLoU?

tok9 wrote: »
    Xenji no one calls over to play COD and the new one only has 2 player split screen. Whatever minority do play that, absolutely no one comes around to play BF as that is only a 1 player game.

I get the feeling Titanfall isn't aimed at you as you seem to have a few issues with it already. But I guarantee the people who play BF and (in particular) COD will check this game out. It's definitely a fun game.

Also... what were the other 4 games you preferred over TLoU?

I remember in college when I was in London it was a big thing for people to come over and play, but then again that was around the time when MW2 was out :pac:

I do not have issues with it as such, it is the whole argument that it will be the best thing since sliced bread and your stupid not to get a xbox because it will be the best game ever mentality that some posters have taken when the game is not even out.

Not in any order, but Bioshock Infinite, Tales of Xillia, Disgaea Dimension 2 and Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl ( yeah you can see the pattern )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭dor83

I remember in college when I was in London it was a big thing for people to come over and play, but then again that was around the time when MW2 was out :pac:
    I still have COD sessions with a few mates myself, the local multi-player with bots is the only reason I get COD games, is it only 2 player split screen in Ghosts? I take if BF4 doesn't have that?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Excuse me, but the only time's I've ever played CoD on a console were local split screen multiplayer and it was great fun. In fact, I'd say it's an area where the game absolutely excels - compounded by the fact that everyone has all the same guns and perks etc unlocked.

Small console LANs in someone's house are a huge amount of fun - Halo did it best where you could have a LAN game and split-screen on each device, so with 5 consoles, you could have 20 players. There's no better way to spend a day with your mates - fill the fridge with beers and get a barbecue going and it's perfect. I lament the loss of local multiplayer from all platforms, the idea that you should only play with your friends online is a cynical means of selling more copies of the game and an admission that the system can't run what's being asked of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Shiminay wrote: »

Now, now some of us already have decent gaming PCs......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Believe me I loved the days of local multiplayer. In particular with Timesplitters 2 and Worms but there is no doubt that things have changed significantly both good and bad.

I suppose I was a bit rash on COD as one of my mates would call over to play some split screen and of course in college it's great, same as fifa etc.

Fair enough Xenji.. I see the pattern :P

Yes I completely agree Titanfall won't be anything revolutionary and I guarantee there will be a war of COD/BF/Titanfall gamers all calling eachothers games terrible. But it is fun and from an MP perspective, definitely a big console exclusive to have.

I won't be getting an Xbox or PC anytime soon and personally I'm most looking forward to playing Infamous, MGS, The Witness and The Division on my PS4. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'm disappointed Killzone Shadow Fall won't have split screen. I play a lot of split screen with mates or the missus. It can even make crap games a lot of fun. And good games fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭kitnan

Being a long time xboxer I was sure I would be getting the xboxone at lanch but then E3 happened. I know MS have done a lot of back-pedalling and u-turning to reverse many of their not so popular 'features' but im'm just worried they will just patch them in over time. So I had moved to the Sony side of life and had been looking forward to the PS4, that was until I read recently that it is unable to stream your own mp3s or even play your own cds, if you want music on your ps4 you have to do it thorugh their subscription based service. That seems very mercentile to me, so I think i;ll take a step back and perch myself upon the fence until things develop in the coming year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I suspect PS4 will have the media thing sorted soon after launch. Ridiculous to omit this kind of thing to a next gen device, though.

Grayditch wrote: »
    I suspect PS4 will have the media thing sorted soon after launch. Ridiculous to omit this kind of thing to a next gen device, though.

Are they saying its a technical hitch? The article I read just said it couldn't play either and didn;t give a reason why.

kitnan wrote: »
    Are they saying its a technical hitch? The article I read just said it couldn't play either and didn;t give a reason why.

It was just omitted, people complained, Shu said he would sort it out, and it looks like it will be activated in the second patch :)

It was just omitted, people complained, Shu said he would sort it out, and it looks like it will be activated in the second patch :)

Aaah thats pretty good. Consider me de-fenced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,270 ✭✭✭✭Penn

As far as I know, they've backtracked and will be bringing it in with their second system update. I think you'll still have to sign up to their subscription service to play music during games (where the game allows for it) rather than your own music, but the media playback features are going to be reintroduced.

Edit: What Xenji said. Sorry, I got sidetracked

As far as I know, they've backtracked and will be bringing it in with their second system update. I think you'll still have to sign up to their subscription service to play music during games (where the game allows for it) rather than your own music, but the media playback features are going to be reintroduced.

Edit: What Xenji said. Sorry, I got sidetracked

Hmm, so you'll be able to play your own music but NOT during games unless you pay for the subscription service? :( Don't get me wrong here I understand that at the end of the day both Sony and MS are business and their goals are to make a profit but damn it, it feels like they are going for every last penny. At this rate I won't have any money left to actually buy games lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'm disappointed Killzone Shadow Fall won't have split screen. I play a lot of split screen with mates or the missus. It can even make crap games a lot of fun. And good games fantastic.

That really annoyed me. Why bundle in controller to a game/console, when game has no split screen?! I was really hoping it will have.

Now I got Ghost for splitscreen.

Hmm, so you'll be able to play your own music but NOT during games unless you pay for the subscription service? :( Don't get me wrong here I understand that at the end of the day both Sony and MS are business and their goals are to make a profit but damn it, it feels like they are going for every last penny. At this rate I won't have any money left to actually buy games lol.

I think, but I'm not sure on that (hence why I was sidetracked). I may be wrong on that point as I can't remember/find where I read that, and may have misread it.

I think, but I'm not sure on that (hence why I was sidetracked). I may be wrong on that point as I can't remember/find where I read that, and may have misread it.

Thanks for the info anyway. I guess there is a lot up in the air until release day for the consoles hit.

On a side point, does anyone remember the launches for the 360.PS3 being this wishy washy about details? I know a little fuzziness around the edges is to be expected but to me things seems much less clear this time round.

It is up to the developer of the game, most PS3 games did not even have this option anyway, it will work the same way as SSX.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

When you pay that 5eu ( or even less ) per month for PS+ you will have totally different problem - WAY TOO MANY FECKING GAMES AND NO TIME TO PLAY THEM!!!

A bit off topic, but I just sow a Review of Ghost on GTtrailers... I know it has splitscreen still, but Jaysus, that is BAD. :eek: I wonder if I switch it to something else.

It is up to the developer of the game, most PS3 games did not even have this option anyway, it will work the same way as SSX.

Yeah, it was barely used as is, so not a feature I'd really care about (unless GTA6 has custom radio stations :D)

I was disappointed about the media playback thing at first, and hope it does get patched in, but at the same time, I can just connect my external harddrive right to the TV itself and play video files through it, plus I'll be keeping my PS3 for another while, so it's not something which is a gamechanger for me personally anyway, though I do hope they bring it back in.

When you pay that 5eu ( or even less ) per month for PS+ you will have totally different problem - WAY TOO MANY FECKING GAMES AND NO TIME TO PLAY THEM!!!

Or not having a high enough download limit to download them :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I can't find anything direct from Sony stating that it will be there in the 2nd update. Anyone got a link from Sony?

I see the usual rumours from non credible sites. Shu said he was passing on gamers feedback to the development team. They will hopefully add it, but I'd say if someone was buying the PS4 with these capabilities in mind maybe they should wait until the second, third update and so on just to be safe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement