Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would Katie Taylor beat an average man in a fight?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    In the ring she would beat the average man. In a street fight with no rules it would be a different story. In a street fight there'd be kicking and grapling amongst other things. Katie like any boxer, is only trained to use her fists.
    That seems to be a big misconception about boxing in this thread, nobody seems to be giving any thought to the fact she has lightning fast footwork. They simply wouldn't be able to catch her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭God...

Kirby wrote: »
    Most men would have a size and weight advantage so just tackling her would probably end it.

The overwhelming majority of men wouldn't have the experience to use there size and weight advantage to there advantage in the amount of time she'd have them out cold on there back from a bare knuckle punch.

Anyway I'm of this thread, it's ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tym

Hmmm there seems to be a rather insidious sexism in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

In the ring she would beat the average man. In a street fight with no rules it would be a different story. In a street fight there'd be kicking and grapling amongst other things. Katie like any boxer, is only trained to use her fists.

I'd still love to see you take her on just to see the result. She's still got the light footwork, speed and power in her punches to do some serious damage.

Anyway her having a huge amount of training would still give her a big advantage over an average guy even if it was a street fight. I think she could adapt fairly quickly to the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

1ZRed wrote: »
    I'd still love to see you take her on just to see the result. She's still got the light footwork, speed and power in her punches to do some serious damage.

Anyway her having a huge amount of training would still give her a big advantage over an average guy even if it was a street fight. I think she could adapt fairly quickly to the situation.

I'm not saying i could beat her, I don't know. She does have great speed and is a powerful puncher, but there's a difference between a controlled fight in a boxing ring and a street fight with no rules. Boxing is only one element of fighting. What would happen if the fight went to ground, or if she fell victim to a choke hold? Boxing doesn't train you to deal with that. Anyway it would depend on the man involved. Two men could be the same height and weight, but one could be significantly tougher than the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Katie would bater any average untrained man with one hand tied behind her back, and has done already.

Wasn't there that celebraty boxing a few years ago where they invloved her in some of the training, and then had to withdraw her when RTE released that their insurnace would not cover the celebraties from her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Heh, is this thread really still trundling along?

People saying, "Oh well in a no holds barred street fight she'd lose..."

Eh no, no she wouldn't, think about it. An Olympic gold medal winning athlete and four time world champion. She has been praised as the best pound for pound female fighter in the world. Male professionals have described her technique as flawless and her punching ferocity as incredible and yet we still have this bull****.

If a man charged Taylor to put her down she would sidestep him and crack, fight over. I mean the woman can duck, dodge and block several punches directed at her head by other similarly trained boxers, I'm sure she'd skip away from a fat-ass 5'10" man! Even if wrestled to the ground I sincerely doubt that she'd just give up, surprisingly people can still punch on the ground you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Could I beat her in a fight ?, well of course I could.

I'd just hit her with my guitar, then handcuff her with my broken guitar strings and job done, simples.

Or play comby ya ma lord first to distract her and then go in for the head-shot with the guitar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

zenno wrote: »
    Could I beat her in a fight ?, well of course I could.

I'd just hit her with my guitar, then handcuff her with my broken guitar strings and job done, simples.

Or play comby ya ma lord first to distract her and then go in for the head-shot with the guitar.

Your method has merit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Here she is sparring with Guillermo Rigondeaux in Limerick. He's about 5kg lighter than she is here I think. He's hardly average or anything; he's a world class boxer and a current title holder. Just thought it would be interesting to people here. Incidentally he is holding back a lot here. He has a shockingly powerful punch for such a small man - 8/10 wins by KO at a professional level.

edit: Back to the original question, she would annihilate the average man. She also acquitted herself better against Rigondeaux than Willie Casey, who was the European Champion, and undefeated before this fight. That fight starts at about 1.30 in the following video; don't blink or you'll miss it:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Of course she could.

Katie could take down any man of any weight provided they have no real experience defending themselves against punches.
    It only takes one descent dig to the jaw to end a fight and there's very few average men that could prevent someone as fast and skilled as her from landing the KO.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Halloran springs

Lets say for arguments sake that an average man is :

5ft 10, 14 stone, keeps somewhat active and has little fight experience.

Would he beat Katie Taylor.

14 stone is "average" mens weight now?? Obesity epidemic indeed..

14 stone is "average" mens weight now?? Obesity epidemic indeed..

Dear Doctor Halloran springs, do you think 15 and a half stone for a 6 foot man is obese ? please don't say it is. I was wondering why I couldn't balance my guitar properly lately as my protruding beer gut was enveloping the top wooden structure of said guitar. Any tips Doctor ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Halloran springs

zenno wrote: »
    Dear Doctor Halloran springs, do you think 15 and a half stone for a 6 foot man is obese ? please don't say it is. I was wondering why I couldn't balance my guitar properly lately as my protruding beer gut was enveloping the top wooden structure of said guitar. Any tips Doctor ?.

Unless you're hitting the gym every day and built like a tank, then yes I would definitely consider 6 foot / 15.5 stone overweight or obese.

Unless you're hitting the gym every day and built like a tank, then yes I would definitely consider 6 foot / 15.5 stone overweight or obese.

Looks like a few rounds with katie wouldn't be a bad idea so, wish me luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

in the ring with head gear then i'd give her a fair chance but otherwise nah

I'm not saying i could beat her, I don't know. She does have great speed and is a powerful puncher, but there's a difference between a controlled fight in a boxing ring and a street fight with no rules. Boxing is only one element of fighting. What would happen if the fight went to ground, or if she fell victim to a choke hold? Boxing doesn't train you to deal with that. Anyway it would depend on the man involved. Two men could be the same height and weight, but one could be significantly tougher than the other.

Well give me your stats so. I'm 6ft, about 12 stone and fairly muscular. I can fight but I don't have a huge amount of experience in it and I still wouldn't guarantee myself winning, even though I would have a lot of advantages on her. You just don't know because she has her training behind her that would transale into the street fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

All fantasy stuff here people, it ain't going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

It depends on what you mean by the term "fight". If you had krav maga, bjj ,muray Thai, boxing and kick boxing under your belt and you were good at them you would destroy her. Boxing is so limited when there are better martial arts out there. However its Katie Taylor gold medal opponent that Russian one I'd be more interested in kicking the sh#t out of and not Katie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

1ZRed wrote: »
    Well give me your stats so. I'm 6ft, about 12 stone and fairly muscular. I can fight but I don't have a huge amount of experience in it and I still wouldn't guarantee myself winning, even though I would have a lot of advantages on her. You just don't know because she has her training behind her that would transale into the street fight.

Well if you're well trained then the stats are not really an issue. I did kickboxing for years and a bit of MMA recently, so maybe that would give me an advantage, maybe not. Anything can happen in a street fight. Anyway I wouldn't like to fight Katie. She's a lovely girl and I was told never to hit a lady.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

If I stood in the ring with Katie Taylor,I would most probably be helped back out of the ring very soon after stepping into it.

As would most of you here,posting on this thread.

The girl has amazing speed and sight,so you wouldnt stand a chance against her.

Oh,and Ive no problem in saying that Katie Taylor would send my flying onto my ar5e either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

she'd win within a minute

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Would Katie Taylor beat a..... Bear
    RTes new show, coming this Autumn, as every week Katie Taylor is presented a new target to beat the crap of.... because taking home a gold medal just doesn't cut it in order to prove yourself anymore. In the next episoide , Would Katie Taylor beat a..... load of travellers on a wet November morning.

Well if you're well trained then the stats are not really an issue. I did kickboxing for years and a bit of MMA recently, so maybe that would give me an advantage, maybe not. Anything can happen in a street fight. Anyway I wouldn't like to fight Katie. She's a lovely girl and I was told never to hit a lady.

Well the argument was always pointless because no self respecting guy would ever fight her outside the ring and even in the ring, I wouldn't challenge her. My ass is for sitting not for getting kicked!

Did anyone see her on the Late Late being interviewed by Tubs??

She is the most humble person,and she is a role model to alot of people.

Have a look at her "late late" interview on Youtube.
    You wouldnt think that she would knock 7 different colours of shyte out of you.

Have a look at that late late interview youtube clip......

Anyone notice that Russian young one looking sick as a dog too (1 minute 53 seconds in)..at the medal ceramony aswell.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I'm 6 '1 and reasonably fit but Katie would knock the sh*t out of me.

paddy147 wrote: »
    Did anyone see her on the Late Late being interviewed by Tubs??

She is the most humble person,and she is a role model to alot of people.

Have a look at her "late late" interview on Youtube.
    You wouldnt think that she would knock 7 different colours of shyte out of you.

I'm sure she could beat tubs anyway ha. But yes she's very down to earth. Her father looks like a tough bloke. I think he was a boxer too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Sea Sharp wrote: »
    It only takes one descent dig to the jaw to end a fight
    I doubt she'd go for a punch to the jaw bare handed, she could very likely break her hand. A good shot to the liver can put anyone down, even the best trained fighters.

Advertisement