Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

Theres a new Evergreen (a big one) opposite Swamp in the Eyre Sq SC (upstairs at the Square exit)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,982 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Theres a new Evergreen (a big one) opposite Swamp in the Eyre Sq SC (upstairs at the Square exit)

It's downstairs opposite Gosh and been there quite a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Paddyfield wrote: »
    Could it be the upstairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

flazio wrote: »
    Could it be the upstairs?

The photo is of the ground floor and it's advertised as a retail unit so I doubt it has anything to do with the nightclub upstairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭westgolf

Bean and cone coffee/ice cream place beside seapoint has closed down..notices on doors.
    Pity as it was a nice spot with a nice fit out and good coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

westgolf wrote: »
    Bean and cone coffee/ice cream place beside seapoint has closed down..notices on doors.

That's a pity. Their ice-cream was very tasty and a nice reward for walking the prom (in usually crap weather) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Foley's Hop House in Woodquay is now McGinn's Hop House.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,907 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Foley's Hop House in Woodquay is now McGinn's Hop House.

Is it Fergie?

Edit: Just checked. WooHoo ☺ I knew it wouldn't take long.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Is it Fergie?

Edit: Just checked. WooHoo ☺ I knew it wouldn't take long.

Yup sign was changed this morning and new fb page up..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,907 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Perfect spot for him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Perfect spot for him.

I'm happy out anyway, thankful earlier rumours were indeed just rumours.

New pasta place opening where the home plate restaurant was in mary street. Windows postered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

westgolf wrote: »

When you open an ice cream shop in autumn you really need to be sure you have enough resources to see you through to the summer.

When you open an ice cream shop in autumn you really need to be sure you have enough resources to see you through to the summer.

Agreed..but twas a nice coffee spot too. Had a good set-up too,wifi and charging points and seats n tables that you could use a laptop at

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

D Trent wrote: »

Similar story with Salthill Fish and Chips: http://connachttribune.ie/city-council-batters-chipper-plan-in-salthill-377/. Hard to believe they would have to close down after 4 years in business but I presume that's what the failure to obtain planning retention means.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tenacious-me

Similar story with Salthill Fish and Chips: http://connachttribune.ie/city-council-batters-chipper-plan-in-salthill-377/. Hard to believe they would have to close down after 4 years in business but I presume that's what the failure to obtain planning retention means.

Reading the linked article, it seems they are unhappy with the signage & shop frontage, hopefully they will be given an opportunity to fix that rather than be closed down for it.

Nicest fish & chips that side of Galway, would be silly to have the premises vacant over the stated reasons!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Reading the linked article, it seems they are unhappy with the signage & shop frontage, hopefully they will be given an opportunity to fix that rather than be closed down for it.

Nicest fish & chips that side of Galway, would be silly to have the premises vacant over the stated reasons!

Excuse the pun, but it seems to me that someone in the City Council has a chip on their shoulder with Salthill Fish & Chips. The quote that I have extracted from the article (below) states that they have a problem with the appearance of shop. It seems a bit ridiculous given the state of some other buildings in Salthill, eg. Baileypoint and Burren Mount.
    However, city planners said: “It is considered the current [shop] front to be retained is a significantly poorer design than the original. In fact, the current sign does not cover the full area above the shop and a section of untreated roof/timber is exposed creating a very poor appearance to the shopfront and general streetscape. “It is considered that the existing poor quality sign and the fully-glazed front of the unit for which retention is sought are inappropriate, obtrusive features which detract from the streetscape character and seriously injure the visual amenities of the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

It seems a bit ridiculous given the state of some other buildings in Salthill, eg. Baileypoint and Burren Mount.

Not to mention the eyesore that is The Bal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I don't think you can use decade old buildings as a yardstick to judge new developments to be fair.
    the current sign does not cover the full area above the shop and a section of untreated roof/timber is exposed creating a very poor appearance to the shopfront and general streetscape.

Hardly seems unreasonable to be fair. They're not outright saying no, they're saying that it needs to be altered before it can be considered acceptable.

There was a somewhat similar situation with a restaurant in Salthill recently that added a ton of aesthetically decent external decking/seating but was not allowed for in planning.

I sincerely doubt anyone in the planning section has a personal grudge against Salthill Fish and Chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

It's hard to justify the councils stance on Salthill Fish & Chips when you see the cheap tacky signage they allowed on the front of Seapoint.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

It's not just the signage that is the problem, there are other issues as per below quotes from the article http://connachttribune.ie/city-council-batters-chipper-plan-in-salthill-377/:

“Should seating be provided, it would be necessary to provide separate sanitary accommodation for patrons. A separate staff toilet ventilated to the external air should be provided for the exclusive use of food workers”

AND

“The applicant has failed to demonstrate that the take-away does not impact upon the residential and general amenities of the surrounding area by means of noise, smells, odours and hours of operation"

Personally, I can't see how this particular premises causes any more of an impact on the surrounding area than any of the other numerous food and drink operations in Salthill. Also, it sounds like the previous occupants of the premises offered an eat-in facility but didn't have a bathroom for customers either. Seems like the planners are being very sticky in this instance.

It seems a bit ridiculous given the state of some other buildings in Salthill, eg. Baileypoint and Burren Mount.
    You are complaining about the state of some buildings but you are also complaining when the city council tries to improve the situation or stop it spreading.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The Bal in Salthill is closed. Sign on the door says it's temporary but give no timeframe.

378909.JPG

Cafe in St Augustine St that used to be Orange and then Cosmo has re-opened as Cafe Temple.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 tigergirl

Paddy Power has opened up across from La Rouge or is it La Pettie Rouge I can't remember. Decobake has also opened up Sweet Republic similar to the one in Dublin. Don't know how long these things have been open for I haven't been in town in a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Noticed yesterday evening that the Goal Post in Woodquay was closed. No signs up. Mr OBumble says it's been closed for a while - seems to me it must be weeks not months though, I'm sure it was open when I last walked past.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

The Gaiety Antiques on Francis Street/Eglington Street closed last week also

Noticed yesterday evening that the Goal Post in Woodquay was closed. No signs up. Mr OBumble says it's been closed for a while - seems to me it must be weeks not months though, I'm sure it was open when I last walked past.

Last sunday week i believe, ongoing construction work next door had distracted from it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Guffy

Proprietor had personal issues, lost interest across the board. Duno when or if they are going to reopen :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement