Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strange Facts that go against the grain completely

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

amacachi wrote: »
    Only if there's the same chance of each possibility happening!
    If you put a quid on Barcelona to win each of their last 1000 matches at evens you'd have more than 1000 now.

How would you, if you if the bet was to go as the odds predict Barcelona would win 500 times and lose 500 times so you should end up with the same money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

44leto wrote: »
    How would you, if you if the bet was to go as the odds predict Barcelona would win 500 times and lose 500 times so you should end up with the same money.

That's the bloody point I'm making! It's the same as the cards, each outcome has a different likelihood so at least one of them (if all at evens) is going to be very good value.

I have no card skills so if I were to the three-card monte you'd be able to follow the right card with no problem whatsoever. If you were to pick randomly then yes, you'd have a 1-in-3 chance of picking correctly. If you were to follow it you'd have probably a 90% chance of picking correctly each time. If you have a 90% chance of picking correctly then surely double your money is good value?

amacachi wrote: »
    That's the bloody point I'm making! It's the same as the cards, each outcome has a different likelihood so at least one of them (if all at evens) is going to be very good value.

I have no card skills so if I were to the three-card monte you'd be able to follow the right card with no problem whatsoever. If you were to pick randomly then yes, you'd have a 1-in-3 chance of picking correctly. If you were to follow it you'd have probably a 90% chance of picking correctly each time. If you have a 90% chance of picking correctly then surely double your money is good value?

But that is not how it works, if you are ever tempted into a game you have a much better chance of winning if you don't follow the cards and pick at random.

Even if you are a magician you will still miss the sleight of hand. It is a very old and ancient trick and it is not designed to be fair. Its designed to suck in the suckers who really haven't got a chance of winning anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

But that is not how it works, if you are ever tempted into a game you have a much better chance of winning if you don't follow the cards and pick at random.

Even if you are a magician you will still miss the sleight of hand. It is a very old and ancient trick and it is not designed to be fair. Its designed to suck in the suckers who really haven't got a chance of winning anything.

The posted I originally quoted said "if it was not crooked". If it wasn't crooked it'd be easy to follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Three card trick, ah you've seen it at point-to-points and other places

Everyone knows it's crooked.
    And Johnny who wins is their friend

But it's a scam even if it was not crooked

Three cards, three to one
    But if you win you only double your money

So it's a stupid bet anyway. Even if the bossman was straight up and honest you are still going to lose

If there are three cards the odds are two to one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Chuck Norris is not actually cool or badass. At all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Bruce7 wrote: »
    If there are three cards the odds are two to one.

However the payout is only evens (i.e. you get back exactly what you bet, plus your stake returned), so the odds are rigged towards the "house."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

This thread contains more facts about Bollywood stars than one would expect, and a detailed discussion about probability and gambling.

Fact.

:pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Choudary wrote: »
    Does anyone else have thoughts on this matter?
    If you have a group of 23 people it's more likely than not that two will share a birthday.

This sort of thing is very important to remember in cryptography when someone tells you it take a billion years to break their hash function, which is supposed to verify a file is unchanged.

http://www.theepochtimes.com/news/7-1-11/50336.html
    Original attacks on MD5 would have take over a million years on a supercomputer

Back in 2006 you could get collisions in 31 seconds on a laptop

There is plenty of mileage in Moore's law so any security you plan now has to be resistant to exponentially faster hardware, exploitable flaws and the scaling effect of botnets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Finneen

There is no proven link between cholesterol in food and the cholesterol in your blood.

• Advertisement

Chimpanzees, we seen them on TV as little cute and cheeky monkeys or apes. From Chrrtah to Bobo and the monkey's tetley tea parties we perceive them as gentle harmless and playful creatures.

If we ever came across an aggressive one, most would feel they could kick it up the arse and toss it about and send it on its way. BUT no you could not. They are up to 8 times stronger then any man, they are capable of throwing a 200 pound wrestler out of the ring and they also have a much more powerful bite then a hyena. They are capable of tearing your limbs off and have done in a number of attacks on humans.

If an aggressive chimp was thrown into your local bent on a rampage there is nothing anyone, unarmed, could do to stop it, it would be capable of killing everyone there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

they also have a much more powerful bite then a hyena.
    Not according to the sources and studies I've read. Hyenas have among the strongest bites of any mammal. :confused:

Yes you're dead right they are very strong, much stronger than a man, however they're also well known cowards and easily spooked even when wound up. Attacks against grown men are rare, they'll generally attack women and kids. There was a spate of such attacks in the Gombe(sp) region. Where the Jane Goodall lass has her research centre. All attacks were on women. Plus contrary to Planet of the apes and such like an adult of some level of fitness could outrun one. We're fleeter of foot and more maneuverable. You mentioned weapons and that's where we really shine. Even a heavy tree branch will see one off. They're really crap at aiming missiles/weapons too. So if one ever did grow a pair and attack you grab anything at all and scream and run at it and 99 times outa 100 it'll kack itself and run away. If it didn't aim to stove it's head in. Fcuk you Bobo. :D Something like a pissed off full grown male baboon would scare me a lot more than a chimp.

A gorilla? Thank the gods they're very easy going because one of them would really ruin your day. I saw a wildlife doc about the waterhole clearings in the Congo jungle. In it a female gorilla was playing with her baby while a lion tried to sneak up on her. Bad. Move. She physically threw the lion in the air like a ragdoll. Then again gorillas are generally sound. Watched another doc about gorillas and the local villagers while respecting them weren't afraid of them, or afraid for their kids if one was close. They were afraid of chimps though, but if a gorilla was around the chimps would stay away.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Not according to the sources and studies I've read. Hyenas have among the strongest bites of any mammal. :confused:

Yes you're dead right they are very strong, much stronger than a man, however they're also well known cowards and easily spooked even when wound up. Attacks against grown men are rare, they'll generally attack women and kids. There was a spate of such attacks in the Gombe(sp) region. Where the Jane Goodall lass has her research centre. All attacks were on women. Plus contrary to Planet of the apes and such like an adult of some level of fitness could outrun one. We're fleeter of foot and more maneuverable. You mentioned weapons and that's where we really shine. Even a heavy tree branch will see one off. They're really crap at aiming missiles/weapons too. So if one ever did grow a pair and attack you grab anything at all and scream and run at it and 99 times outa 100 it'll kack itself and run away. If it didn't aim to stove it's head in. Fcuk you Bobo. :D Something like a pissed off full grown male baboon would scare me a lot more than a chimp.

A gorilla? Thank the gods they're very easy going because one of them would really ruin your day. I saw a wildlife doc about the waterhole clearings in the Congo jungle. In it a female gorilla was playing with her baby while a lion tried to sneak up on her. Bad. Move. She physically threw the lion in the air like a ragdoll. Then again gorillas are generally sound. Watched another doc about gorillas and the local villagers while respecting them weren't afraid of them, or afraid for their kids if one was close. They were afraid of chimps though, but if a gorilla was around the chimps would stay away.

Yeah not a Hyena but a very powerful bite, I actually remember that doco Frodo was the name was the wayward chimpanzee. That is when people start criticizing her methods, she changed the troops behaviour by feeding them a no-no when observing animals in the wild.

I posted that because I remember been totally surprised when I learned about a chimps true strength, I never would have even guessed that, up to then I would have thought humans were slightly stronger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

Finneen wrote: »
    There is no proven link between cholesterol in food and the cholesterol in your blood.

Re the idea that eating cholesterol rich foods raises cholesterol levels:

Not even no proven link, it's known to be completely untrue as that's just not the way it works at all.

Cholesterol is created almost entirely within the body in reaction to fat intake.
    Which is why the idea that you should only have X number of eggs in a day/week is entirely false....at least from a cholesterol stand point.

Eggs (yolks) are still quite heavy in fat though, so there would be an indirect rise in cholesterol after eating a load of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I think reading this thread is not good for me, because I've seen loads of facts that I know for sure are nonsense - which begs the question; how many have I fallen for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Chimpanzees, we seen them on TV as little cute and cheeky monkeys or apes. From Chrrtah to Bobo and the monkey's tetley tea parties we perceive them as gentle harmless and playful creatures.

If we ever came across an aggressive one, most would feel they could kick it up the arse and toss it about and send it on its way. BUT no you could not. They are up to 8 times stronger then any man, they are capable of throwing a 200 pound wrestler out of the ring and they also have a much more powerful bite then a hyena. They are capable of tearing your limbs off and have done in a number of attacks on humans.

If an aggressive chimp was thrown into your local bent on a rampage there is nothing anyone, unarmed, could do to stop it, it would be capable of killing everyone there.
    Wibbs wrote: »

Chimps are well known to purposely rip off men's willys and balls too....
    Here's one example, http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-03-04-chimp-attack_x.htm
    :eek:

Probably safer to keep a goldfish as a pet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

In an emergency situation, the greater the number of bystanders the less likely it is for a single individual to intervene to help.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Ghandee wrote: »

I'm having trouble imagining how anything could be strong enough to tear off a person's foot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

In an emergency situation, the greater the number of bystanders the less likely it is for a single individual to intervene to help.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect

How the person dresses has an effect too

One of the British TV channels got an actor to look scruffy and rough and and do a fake collapse outside the train station and everyone walked around or pretty much over him.
    A builder/tradesman helped him out after a few minutes. The others pretended not to see him, I suppose they reckoned he was a wino who drank himself into that state

They put the same actor in a suit and he collapsed in the same spot and people were straight over to help, I think the first person was an offduty nurse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

If we ever came across an aggressive one, most would feel they could kick it up the arse and toss it about and send it on its way. BUT no you could not. They are up to 8 times stronger then any man, they are capable of throwing a 200 pound wrestler out of the ring and they also have a much more powerful bite then a hyena.

And here's why.

Link leads to a chimp with alopoecia (no hair).

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭starch4ser

Dihydrotestosterone (DHT), the chemical that causes male pattern baldness also causes hair to grow in places where you don't want it like your back, stomach, forehead, palm of your hands, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

the minimum wage does more to hurt workers than help them

video explaining it here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFbYM2EDz40

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

video explaining it here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFbYM2EDz40[/QUOTE]

Nicely twisted piece of one sided rubbish. I'd like to know who funded it.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

If runners are for running waht are slippers for?

For slipping them onto your feet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

On average, an adult human produces enough saliva over their lifetime to fill not one, but two olympic sized swimming pools!

Spit on it baby! Spit on it! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

video explaining it here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFbYM2EDz40
    Crap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Finneen

If you think we've a bad Government now wait until they bring in the female TD quota.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Adamas wrote: »
    Very interesting. I wonder then if we apply that rule to what you just said, and applied the 38.4% figure to it, then what is the probability that your statement is one of the 38% that is right, or the 62% that is not? Then, if the next person who does the same, and the next, will the original 38% of 38% of 38% etc, finally mean that the only remaining 'fact' remaining is that we are all basicaly talking ***** here....:D. I'm sure someone with OCD will work out a statistical table for us...any takers?

It's still 38.4% no matter what, and the 61.6% also remains the same.

A couple working for the minimum wage who both work within walking distance of work and who grow much of their own food & have access to their own (hand dug) turf, would have a better quality of life than a professional couple who live in the country and commute daily into town to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

A couple working for the minimum wage who both work within walking distance of work and who grow much of their own food & have access to their own (hand dug) turf, would have a better quality of life than a professional couple who live in the country and commute daily into town to work.

quality of life is subjective. Id consider owning an old bmw and living off noodles better than having no car and having to eat all that organic racket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Finneen wrote: »
    If you think we've a bad Government now wait until they bring in the female TD quota.

The place will be spick-and-span.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

There are 9 miles more canals in Birmingham than Venice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

thee glitz wrote: »
    There are 9 miles more canals in Birmingham than Venice.
    And Venice doesn't have a motorway though the heart of it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭downey2003

Can you elaborate please?

I work in the City of London and your post doesn't correlate with what I see every day, i.e. loads of roads

perhaps because all the roads are streets??

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭downey2003

Sindri wrote: »
    Abbey Road?

is that not in Liverpool??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

Out of four visits to Tesco's over the last week using the self-service checkouts, 3 times it has asked me to place "the items directly into the trolley". I didn't have a trolley!

Out of four visits to Tesco's over the last week using the self-service checkouts, 3 times it has asked me to place "the items directly into the trolley". I didn't have a trolley!

That is so creepy. I suspect those machines are becoming self aware, I warn you all they will hook into Skynet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

People are going to try test some of the facts. Fact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

skregs wrote: »
    Here, if that gorilla eats the banana peel as well, why does he bother to peel it at all?

What an idiot.

Spoken like someone who's never had pork crackling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

When Eamon De Valera first heard jazz music he had a seizure, They had to apply smelling salts on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

The Jack Daniel's distillery is in Lynchburg, Tennessee.

However, the only place in Lynchburg that you can buy Jack Daniel's whiskey is in the distillery giftshop, as Lynchburg is in Moore County, which is a dry county (alcohol is still prohibited).

Also, there is a shockingly high number of dry counties in the United States.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

Lisa needs braces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

A pound of feathers and a pound of lead weighs the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

downey2003 wrote: »
    is that not in Liverpool??

Abbey Road recording studio is in London.

biko wrote: »
    A pound of feathers and a pound of lead weighs the same!
    And either of them is heavier than a pound of Gold

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

A child's got more bones than a grown-up's got :eek:

It's the natural law apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

The Jack Daniel's distillery is in Lynchburg, Tennessee.

However, the only place in Lynchburg that you can buy Jack Daniel's whiskey is in the distillery giftshop, as Lynchburg is in Moore County, which is a dry county (alcohol is still prohibited).

Also, there is a shockingly high number of dry counties in the United States.

Alcohol is prohitited??:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Irish people still support Fianna fail and will vote them in again in a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

RachaelVO wrote: »
    I know my father used to go mad years ago when we used to wash our hair in the morning before going out to school, he used to say we'd get pneumonia, turns out not remotely true at all, and yet I still dry my hair not matter how late I'm running, cos I just had it drummed into me!

Well bacteria thrive on wet surfaces and you lose heat faster when your wet. I wouldnt say it helps anyway to have wet hair!

Advertisement