Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who allow dogs to clean up dinner plates

Options
  • 28-06-2011 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Now before I begin, I am really close to these people, but to be honest as of now I do not want to eat meals in their home anymore. Why? After dinner, somebody put their plate on the floor to allow the dog to lick up some of the remaining bits. This was a plate that used by the people to serve dinner etc.

Am I alone in fearing eating at this house again, given that this is probably done with quiet a few plates. I am not that fussy when it comes to actually eating, but I just find the thought of eating off of a plate that a dog has licked – a dog that had probably been cleaning it’s rear end with it’s mouth – to be ultimately manky, and puts me off eating at this place again.

Am I overreacting, or do I have a point here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

way over reacting imo. plus just stop eating in other people's houses! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Seems stupid. Would you eat off a plate that had had raw meat on it before? Of course you would.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Seems stupid. Would you eat off a plate that had had raw meat on it before? Of course you would.

Raw meat doesn't lick its own poo.

I'm with you OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Raw meat doesn't lick its own poo.

I'm with you OP!

2 girls 1 cup

<Wonders who's drank from that cup>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Do these plates get washed?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Vomit.

So disgusting, especially in light of the fact that fungus can survive in your dishwasher:

http://news.discovery.com/human/dangerous-fungus-dishwasher-110621.html

Worse than that, while working in a shop during college a lady came in with the cutest tiny dog in her arms. I commented on how cute the dog was and she agreed and made kissy faces in the dogs face. The dog started to lick her lips but she didn't stop. SHE DIDN'T STOP!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Well I wipe my ass using my hands and I also eat using my hands. The important thing to note is that I clean them between the two processes. Same thing with the plates I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭effluent

I don't thin you are over reacting at all.

I knew someone who used to do this, but this guy had a well known reputation for living rough (ruff!!) in his own house. like not cleaning up, eating food that was well passed its sell by date and letting his dog lick the plates clean. He then would put these plates in the cupboard without even rinsing them!:eek: Does he wash them in the sink after the dog licks them?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭ball

So disgusting, especially in light of the fact that fungus can survive in your dishwasher:

Mushrooms are a fungus. And they grow in shyte.
    Do you have a problem with mushrooms on your plate?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Overreacting as much as that guy that released all that water from the reservoir after somebody pee into it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Knasher wrote: »
    Well I wipe my ass using my hands and I also eat using my hands.
    You should invest in some loo roll and cutlery.

ball wrote: »

I have a problem with mushrooms growing on my plate, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

dvpower wrote: »
    You should invest in some loo roll and cutlery.

Toilet roll being a complete germ barrier?

I hear the walls of the clean rooms out in intel are toilet toll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

ball wrote: »

I do, mushrooms taste like ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

Toilet roll being a complete germ barrier?

I hear the walls of the clean rooms out in intel are toilet toll.

I did work for a time at intel, down in the clean rooms. Correct, all toilet roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I do, mushrooms taste like ass.

Ah man, your supposed to wash them first.

I hate mushrooms. Not enough meat in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Of course you're overreacting. When's the last time you heard of anyone falling ill from a disease they got from being licked by a dog? They don't carry anything harmful in their saliva. Except roundworm. But then that can't survive a dishwasher.

People who are obsessive about cleanliness get sick more often than those who just take simple precautions rather than go overboard. FACT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Yucky. No thanks.

Dogs are notorious arse lickers.

They eat shit too don't they?

shit eating arse lickers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

I've 2 dogs and allow them clean the plates of what me and the OH don't eat.
    Absolutely no problem with it what so ever as I wash the dishes afterwards.

No dishwasher in my house so they get a good scrubbing.

Saves me having to get up off my hole and fill their dog bowls with the leftovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

:o:o:o My dog not only does that but drinks the remaining tea in my cup and sleeps in my bed. She's my little hairy baby! :o

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Of course you're overreacting. When's the last time you heard of anyone falling ill from a disease they got from being licked by a dog? They don't carry anything harmful in their saliva. Except roundworm. But then that can't survive a dishwasher.

People who are obsessive about cleanliness get sick more often than those who just take simple precautions rather than go overboard. FACT.

I don't care if they pass the plate through through a kiln, melted it to its constituent atoms and reassembled into a plate again along with a gold certificate stating 100% free of dog saliva. It's still disgusting.

And I'm far from a clean freak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

I have friends who let their dogs climb into the dishwasher and lick the plates. They also let them lick wooden spoons etc. At first, I was horrified but just got used to it. It is not as if they are street dogs full of disease. I wouldn't let my dog do it but somehow accept it when I visit that particular house. I am more tolerant of dogs than people though. If they were feeding an unwashed tramp, I might think twice about eating there...

I don't care if they pass the plate through through a kiln, melted it to its constituent atoms and reassembled into a plate again along with a gold certificate stating 100% free of dog saliva. It's still disgusting.

And I'm far from a clean freak.

Yet recycled goods don't bother you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭kirving

You proabably won't be comfortable with the likelihood that the water used to clean your dishes has been recycled many times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

I've 2 dogs and allow them clean the plates of what me and the OH don't eat.
    Absolutely no problem with it what so ever as I wash the dishes afterwards.

No dishwasher in my house so they get a good scrubbing.

Saves me having to get up off my hole and fill their dog bowls with the leftovers.

I wish you very high vet bill when your dogs will start beeing sick from your "leftovers". Dogs shouldnt eat "human food" at all. How often do you use onions in your cooking, do you know its poisonous for dogs? Also all spices and salt are very bad for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

I always give the plate a good lick after the dog is finished and then pass it to my wife at the sink. She's on a diet :p

Yet recycled goods don't bother you?

Have they been licked by dogs? Then yes.

softmee wrote: »
    I wish you very high vet bill when your dogs will start beeing sick from your "leftovers". Dogs shouldnt eat "human food" at all. How often do you use onions in your cooking, do you know its poisonous for dogs? Also all spices and salt are very bad for them.

I can wholeheartedly say that I have NEVER put onions into any meal I have ever cooked. I hate onions.

My dogs are perfectly healthy and in check with their weight. Only vet bills so far have been neutering and nail clippings.

But thanks for wishing suffering on a defenseless animal, you horrible person.

Have they been licked by dogs? Then yes.

I'm sure they've been through worse than a dog licking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Its a very handy way of avoiding throwing mice/rat attracting meat into the bin. When cat or dog is happy and licking bum - wash the plate (with washing up liquid). Before God invented Fairy washing up liquid on the umpteenth day, its how your ancestors lived...and you still got here).

Advertisement