Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭delynet

Excuse the quality, when I chopped this section from the camera recording my video editing software seems to have dropped the quaility. Date also wrong

Does not look like it but I had to jump on the brakes when I realised white van man decided to overtake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Jesus Christ, did he run the jeep off the road there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

delynet wrote: »
    Excuse the quality, when I chopped this section from the camera recording my video editing software seems to have dropped the quaility. Date also wrong

Does not look like it but I had to jump on the brakes when I realised white van man decided to overtake

Maybe I should change the colour of my vans, seems the term "white van man" doesn't have the best reputation :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

cormie wrote: »
    Maybe I should change the colour of my vans, seems the term "white van man" doesn't have the best reputation :P

Saw your/one of your vans in Athlone yesterday or the day before. :)

Yeah? :) That was yesterday alright! Maybe you're recorded on the camera ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭delynet

@Tallon, checked my mirrors and he did not run him off the road. Jeep was going a bit slow but that is no excuse to do what he did given there was a solid line AND a car approaching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭skibum

This dashcam video from Taiwan made me laugh...
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7d7_1346420157

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Video from the new Smartcam 2.
    Not bad for €70! Click on 1080

Holy Fúck, that's UNREAL!!!!

Send me on a link please and I'll pick up a couple

Tallon wrote: »
    Holy Fúck, that's UNREAL!!!!

Send me on a link please and I'll pick up a couple

ptdhT.png

Bad News! It was £55 when I bought it two weeks ago as you can see above. The seller must have realised he was onto a good thing because they are after jumping to £95/€120!

New Listing: SmartcamDirect

• Advertisement

@Tallon They seem to be gone altogether now
    Only the low res version seems available now.

Story here

This is the 2nd blowout I've had now!

Fair play, you handled that very well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Was the van loaded? Done well to keep her on the road.

Yup, packed to the brim!

cormie wrote: »
    Yup, packed to the brim!

Is it possible it was overloaded for the specs of tyre you would want to make sure can handle the weight you would be carrying.

Hopefully 2 times is the end

Nah definitely not overloaded for the tyres. It's got 6 tyres and the load at the time was just household goods, (sofas, mattress, divan bases) so packed, but not overly heavy. I've had heavier loads with no problems before :) Tyres were the ones I've had on it since buying the van, still good thread and passed the DOE no problem only a few months ago. I think they might be a budget tyre though. Kumho or something like that! I recently got 4 Continental Vanco Four Seasons on the other van, pricey at around €700 for the lot but they have good reviews and seem good so far so I might just replace all 6 on this one with the same.

Thats bad alright I have a thing about cheap tyres learnt the hard way lost my car off 15 feet down into a ditch and tree thanks to the cheap china stuff.

What tyre went on you front or rear in or outside ?

Front drivers side tyre, same as last time actually!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PviNTH70aY

An Audi in a rush, The Camera lens make it look like there is more room than there actually was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

Shane_ef wrote: »

An Audi in a rush, The Camera lens make it look like there is more room than there actually was.

What speed were you doing there and what was the limit?

guyfo wrote: »
    What speed were you doing there and what was the limit?

The Limit is 100kph
    The whole queue of cars were doing 100kph

The Limit is 100kph
    The whole queue of cars were doing 100kph

Did you leave enough room to allow the car behind overtake if you had no intention of overtaking the car in front of you ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PviNTH70aY

It looks like you were getting closer to the black car from the beginning of the video.
    Were you planning to overtake?

If yes, you should have indicated, and then audi wouldn't overtake you.
    If no, then you probably mislead audi driver, as when he was starting his overtaking manouver there was plenty of space for him to pull between black car and you, while at the moment he was pulling, there was very little left.
    Third option is that black car was slowing down, but there is no brake lights, so I assume he wouldn't slow down that gradually without brake lights.

If I was driving audi, I would be probably similarily mislead by your action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

Who blew the horn?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭sambucus

Has anyone heard of the 2 second rule ?
    Doesn't look like it here or am I mistaken ?

I was 2.5 ish car lengths back, that's what I was thought, the traffic began to slow hence why I begin to close in on the car in front, you can just see the black car brake at one point, I think the Audi and myself misread the flow of traffic, he was too busy looking to overtake and I was too busy concentrating on him as he appeared as he was going to overtake

edit.. I don't know who blew a horn it wasn't my car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

Well I am up and running with my Blackvue DR400G HD. I mounted it beside the rearview mirror. I tucked the power cable in all the way around. I soldered into permanent & IGN +12V beside the phone kit.

My only gripe is that the supplied 16GB memory card isn't big enough. I had a long day in the saddle today, 6 hours+, I came home to upload my first video (hay blizzard behind an artic hauling big bales) but the event was overwritten by 30 minutes! I'll be looking out for a 32GB class 10 micro SD card. Anyone got a recommendation?

Anyway, the video quality is excellent. I got the Power Pro thing that keeps the cam running for X hours after you park, it also shuts the cam down if battery voltage goes under 11.8V.

The Blackvue system is well thought out, especially Park mode that records on motion and/or shock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

Deandean, I took the advice of a couple of the lads on here and got one of these;
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-Flash-memory-card-Class/dp/B003VNKNF0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346793634&sr=8-1

Gents, opinions on this bit of driving
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fphkK5mz7s

Also has an in-car view... ooohhh fancy :D

Edit - That car was 2 cars behind me, also there was clearly a child in a booster seat in the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

That person is potentially 3-4 feet from causing an awful, awful mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

Deandean, I took the advice of a couple of the lads on here and got one of these;
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-Flash-memory-card-Class/dp/B003VNKNF0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346793634&sr=8-1[/QUOTE]
    Many thanks Randy, I checked and the card i need is a micro SD, I ordered one of these tonight:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sandisk-Ultra-Class-Micro-Adapter/dp/B007JTKLEK/ref=lh_ni_t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fphkK5mz7s

That is the sort of driver who will become or cause a statistic eventually. What a complete idiot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

I'll say nothing about stereotypes....

You've edited the video!

You were speeding, undertaking, not indicating, cutting across 3 lanes... You changed from lane 4 to lane one to undertake at one stage iirc

The Audi made a late judgement, but didn't cross on the hatch or single white line so I don't see an issue. (he even flashed the hazards to apologies) Had you been in the correct lane, he wouldn't have cause any obstruction to you. You then proceeded to undertake him again while clearly going faster than the speed limit

You're driving was erratic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

Edit - That car was 2 cars behind me, also there was clearly a child in a booster seat in the back.

Your driving seems good! Good observation, checking mirrors etc. Nice. Then that muppet, flippin' hell. Bet you had to empty the shorts after that, and I know it's not a funny thing but I did laugh out loud at your exclamation. ;)

Carry on safe driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭username?!

looking for a to buy a dashcam now off ebay.

Budget it max 60 euro, any reccomendations lads?

Do you just want something like the above?

Cheap and cheerful?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭username?!

Do you just want something like the above?

Cheap and cheerful?

Yeah just something that will do the job, budget could move up to 80. If i like the idea i'd buy a better one in a couple of months.

Have been looking at this one....
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/130-Lens-New-F900LHD-Car-Camcorder-FULL-HD-DVR-1920-1080P-Dash-Cam-DV-RECORDER-/290770858920?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43b34b33a8

I doubt I could get a gps style one for my budget.

You've edited the video!

You were speeding, undertaking, not indicating, cutting across 3 lanes... You changed from lane 4 to lane one to undertake at one stage iirc

The Audi made a late judgement, but didn't cross on the hatch or single white line so I don't see an issue. (he even flashed the hazards to apologies) Had you been in the correct lane, he wouldn't have cause any obstruction to you. You then proceeded to undertake him again while clearly going faster than the speed limit

You're driving was erratic

I edited the video down to the relevant part on youtube as I don't have video editing software on my computer however I have now returned the video to full length for you....

@ 0:00 I enter the motorway into lane 1

@ 0:20 I move to lane 2 as i approach slow moving traffic in lane 1

@ 0:25 I continue into lane 3 as the traffic in lane 2 is also moving slower

@ 0:33 I complete the overtake and return to lane 2 and @ 0:40 return back to lane 1

@ 0:53 I continue in lane one at a steady cruise(not an overtake) past two slower moving vehicles incorrectly driving in lane two

@ 1:27 while still at a steady cruise in lane 1, I slow to allow a Golf to pull in and accross into the Belfast carriagway

@ 1:35 Lane 1 becomes the city exit carriagway(as indicated by the lane divider markings) and the only lane to continue all the way around to the M1/N1 and I continue in the same lane

@ 2:05 the Audi cuts across and causes me to brake heavily

@ 2:13 the Audi brakes hard for the second time and rather then brake hard again(there is now traffic behind) I switch to the slow/climbing lane to pass the Audi and the 206 which is in front.

@ 2:37 I merge back to the continious M1 lane behind traffic as the lane terminates ahead

@ 3:15 now on the M1 I move to lane 2 to ovetake slower traffic

@ 3:27 I move back to lane 1 where I continue until it becomes lane two(after merge), I pass another Golf and move again to lane 1, where Iremain for the remainder of the video

Can you point out the erratic driving, the cutting across 3 lanes, the going from lane 4 to lane one to overtake and especially the not indicating...I'm especially fascinated by that one.

And if I were driving like a loonatic can you tell me how that makes the actions of the Audi ok? He changes across from the M50 to the M1 exit lane and caused me to brake heavily at motorway speeds.....and its OK because there was no hatched lines and he flashed his hazzards???

• Advertisement

I edited the video down to the relevant part on youtube as I don't have video editing software on my computer however I have now returned the video to full length for you....

@ 0:00 I enter the motorway into lane 1

@ 0:20 I move to lane 2 as i approach slow moving traffic in lane 1

@ 0:25 I continue into lane 3 as the traffic in lane 2 is also moving slower

@ 0:33 I complete the overtake and return to lane 2 and @ 0:40 return back to lane 1

@ 0:53 I continue in lane one at a steady cruise(not an overtake) past two slower moving vehicles incorrectly driving in lane two

@ 1:27 while still at a steady cruise in lane 1, I slow to allow a Golf to pull in and accross into the Belfast carriagway

@ 1:35 Lane 1 becomes the city exit carriagway(as indicated by the lane divider markings) and the only lane to continue all the way around to the M1/N1 and I continue in the same lane

@ 2:05 the Audi cuts across and causes me to brake heavily

@ 2:13 the Audi brakes hard for the second time and rather then brake hard again(there is now traffic behind) I switch to the slow/climbing lane to pass the Audi and the 206 which is in front.

@ 2:37 I merge back to the continious M1 lane behind traffic as the lane terminates ahead

@ 3:15 now on the M1 I move to lane 2 to ovetake slower traffic

@ 3:27 I move back to lane 1 where I continue until it becomes lane two(after merge), I pass another Golf and move again to lane 1, where Iremain for the remainder of the video

Can you point out the erratic driving, the cutting across 3 lanes, the going from lane 4 to lane one to overtake and especially the not indicating...I'm especially fascinated by that one.

And if I were driving like a loonatic can you tell me how that makes the actions of the Audi ok? He changes across from the M50 to the M1 exit lane and caused me to brake heavily at motorway speeds.....and its OK because there was no hatched lines and he flashed his hazzards???

I watched the video, and you seem to do plenty of undertaking, which is an offence.
    Audi made a decision to change lanes and exit the motorway in the last moment, and therefore he cut across you forcing you to brake - but how was he supposed to know, that you will be undertaking that white van.
    I'm sure he didn't expect any car there, and he was fully entitled not to expect anyone there, as undertaking is against the law.

All I can say from this video is that if no one was doing any undertaking there, there wouldn't be any problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

How was he undertaking the white van? Lane 1 was signposted for M1(?), Lane 2 and 3 signed for the port(driver was in lane 3), lane 4 and 5 signposted for Malahide- van in lane 4 and audi came up lane 5. Van was in left lane for his destination so he was fine, technically the OP should have been in lane 2, irrespective of that, the audi driver shouldnt of been coming up lane 5 and then switched to lane 3 at last minute.

guttenberg wrote: »
    How was he undertaking the white van? Lane 1 was signposted for M1(?), Lane 2 and 3 signed for the port(driver was in lane 3), lane 4 and 5 signposted for Malahide- van in lane 4 and audi came up lane 5. Van was in left lane for his destination so he was fine, technically the OP should have been in lane 2, irrespective of that, the audi driver shouldnt of been coming up lane 5 and then switched to lane 3 at last minute.
    Is your understanding that when lanes on motorway are signposted for different directions, then they are treated as separate roads, and therefore rule prohibiting overtaking on the left doesnt apply anymore? I wouldn't share this opinion.

CiniO wrote: »
    Is your understanding that when lanes on motorway are signposted for different directions, then they are treated as separate roads, and therefore rule prohibiting overtaking on the left doesnt apply anymore? I wouldn't share this opinion.

You are misunderstanding road markings I think.

When carriagways/lanes are serperated by thick white lines which are much closer together then standard lane seperation lines, then you have now entered a different carriagway. This carriagway can have seperate speed limits etc to the main carriagway(m50 in this case) beside it.

Besides, I would understand undertaking/overtaking as being defined as changing lanes for the purpose of passing a slower vehicle. At no point did I do this to pass any vehicle on their left side. The van where the Audi switched across was not in my carriagway and the couple of cars further back where moving slowly in lane 2(middle lane hoggers as is the boards term:)) and I didn't change lanes/speed etc, I simply continued at a steady speed.

By your basic understanding of undertaking, if I was in lane 1 and a car in lane 2 or 3 slowed suddenly for any reason, I must also slow so I don't pass them. This could only lead to more danger as would be the case if I had switched across 3 lanes and back again to overtake the two cars when my lane was completely clear.

Safe driving is as much about intelligence and common sence as it is about the hugging the ROTR book IMO.

You are misunderstanding road markings I think.

When carriagways/lanes are serperated by thick white lines which are much closer together then standard lane seperation lines, then you have now entered a different carriagway. This carriagway can have seperate speed limits etc to the main carriagway(m50 in this case) beside it.
    Have you got anything to support, that if part of motorway is separated by thick white lines which are much closer together, then it's 2 different carriageways, and therefore traffic on left one has nothing to do with traffic on right one? I already said I'm of opposite opinion, but I can't say I'm 100% certain. We both probably need to look up into rotr and regulations to be sure.

Besides, I would understand undertaking/overtaking as being defined as changing lanes for the purpose of passing a slower vehicle.
    That statement is entirely wrong.
    There is no need to change lane to be overtaking.
    Overtaking/undertaking happens when one vehicle is travelling faster than other vehicle in the same direction, and eventually that vehicle passes slower vehcile on its side. No need to change lanes.
    At no point did I do this to pass any vehicle on their left side.
    Doesn't matter as your definition was entirely wrong.
    The van where the Audi switched across was not in my carriagway and the couple of cars further back where moving slowly in lane 2(middle lane hoggers as is the boards term:)) and I didn't change lanes/speed etc, I simply continued at a steady speed.
    Fact that you didn't change lane or speed, doesn't mean you were not overtaking / undertaking.

Imagine someone driving for the entire motorways at steady speed of 150km/h all the time on the right lane of motorway. Are you trying to say that such driver even though he passes hunderds of cars which were on left lane, didn't do any overtaking, just becuase he was travelling at constant speed and not changing lanes? nonsense.

By your basic understanding of undertaking, if I was in lane 1 and a car in lane 2 or 3 slowed suddenly for any reason, I must also slow so I don't pass them
    Yes - that's exactly what you are supposed to do.
    . This could only lead to more danger as would be the case if I had switched across 3 lanes and back again to overtake the two cars when my lane was completely clear.

Safe driving is as much about intelligence and common sence as it is about the hugging the ROTR book IMO.

I would love to see you explaining this to polizei in Germany after you didn't bother slowing down on lane 1, when other vehicles slowed down on lane 2.
    In Ireland garda don't give a hell about lane discipline, so no one obesy the rules, and as we can see here, even drivers who are very much into motoring (like you), doesn't understand some basic rules.

Conclusion.
    1. I'm not sure about that thick broken line if it really spearates carriageway into two separate carriageways. I doubt that, but I'm not sure, so I'll do some digging in regulations in nearest future to find out.

2. I'm 100% sure, that undertaking (overtaking on the left - whatever you call it) happens anytime when you go faster than other vehicle in the same direction, and you pass it on the left side, no matter if you changed lanes, accelerated, etc...
    There are certain exceptions, when overtaking on the left is allowed in ROTR, but that's definitely not in cases you decribed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

not indicating

How do you know he is not indicating? My dash cam doesnt pick up the very quiet sounds of my indicator?
    CiniO wrote: »
    but how was he supposed to know, that you will be undertaking that white van.
    I'm sure he didn't expect any car there, and he was fully entitled not to expect anyone there, as undertaking is against the law.

As far as i can see, he is not undertaking the van, he is in a separate lane that exits the M50 and the lane is signalled to exit the M50 from a good distance back. Audi made a bad move but ive seen closer calls.

I think you undertook 3 cars and 1 van, regardless of the car and van driving incorrectly in lane 2 you still undertook them, as all lanes were for M50, you also undertook the audi and other car, and i'd also call into question if you were doing 50km/h as stated for that section of the road

Taken From the rules of the road:

You may overtake on the left when
    You want to go straight ahead when the driver in front of you has moved
    out and signalled that they intend to turn right.
    You have signalled that you intend to turn left.
    Traffic in both lanes is moving slowly and traffic in the left-hand lane is
    moving more quickly than the traffic in the right-hand lane.

You must not overtake when
    You are at or near a pelican crossing, zebra crossing or at pedestrian
    signals.
    A traffic sign or road marking prohibits it.
    You are approaching a junction.
    You are on the approach to a corner, bend, dip in the road, hump-back
    bridge, brow of a hill or on a narrow road.
    You are in the left-hand lane of a dual carriageway or motorway when
    traffic is moving at normal speed.

Now unless that morning everyone wasn't driving on or over the speed limit as is my experience you undertook traffic moving at normal speed, and did a little bit of speeding i'd say (i could of course be wrong)

Source http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/
    Page 45 - 46

How to use a Roundabout in Ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

How to use a roundabout in Ireland!

I see that so often......its nearly normal:p

Especially in galway:p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement