Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

netflix , comming soon to a linux near you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

better not be flash based

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

iPwnage wrote: »

On windows its done with silverlight. For better or worse...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

iPwnage wrote: »

Surely it will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

i say it will , or else mirosoft will be involved if it was sliverlight
    what wrong with flash???

No hardware acceleration in linux AFAIK.

• Advertisement

Khannie wrote: »
    No hardware acceleration in linux AFAIK.
    but there no sliverlight for linux .
    so there no alterative. beside ,nobody apart from netflixs use sliverlight really , and lease adobe could be arse to make a Linux edition .

Ah I wasn't arguing against flash, only saying why people might have an issue with it. My HTPC (ion2 based) doesn't have the processing power to software decode H264 encoded HD stuff so I would be ruled out for example.

Who knows, they may use something novel.

i say there they not too far into the product atm
    it will be intresting to see how they progress with this .
    im not well up on netfix as im , like most people here , irish . do you download a software or is it played through firefox/IE/chrome

Relevant bump: Netflix coming to Ireland soon.

Relevant bump: Netflix coming to Ireland soon.

LINK PLEASE

• Advertisement

It was in the metro the other day so I have no link.

A quick google gives this page which says:
    Netflix's imminent UK and Ireland launch prompts bidding war for rights to films and TV shows

Not too shabby.

edit: More relevant link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭human 19

It was in the metro the other day so I have no link.

edit: More relevant link.

states films to ne released: “within one year of their theatrical release,”.
    May as well just rent the DVD. Maybe thats the reason for the delay, so bootlegs wont be available before the DVD release.

I was hoping to be able to stream while they are still in the cinema.

I tried streaming Hanna from the studio website but got the usual corporate message "not available in your territory".... and then they give out about torrenting:eek: .

what about html 5 for linux and netflixs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Yeah great ... just a pity most Hollywood studio movies are not worth watching. :(

Oracle wrote: »
    Yeah great ... just a pity most Hollywood studio movies are not worth watching. :(
    american tv and movies 100000000 x better than brithish tv and movies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭human 19

Now that netflix is here...if you would like to hurry them up you can sign an online petition
    (found the link in the Mint forums)

http://www.petitiononline.com/Linflix/petition.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

I've just started using it on the Wii, and I have to say that it's a pretty good service. For what I'd watch on the UPC, for 7e a month you basically get the same shows, and on demand.

Has there been any updates on it since October?

Cliste wrote: »
    I've just started using it on the Wii, and I have to say that it's a pretty good service. For what I'd watch on the UPC, for 7e a month you basically get the same shows, and on demand.

Has there been any updates on it since October?
    nothing that ive heard of.
    Tell me what do you get my line of tv shows that i cant get on rte player and other players?
    also what are the movies like?

netflixs have really pushed themselves in the last 6 months

Linux support wont generate a huge income , and will probable make a lost for a while , as the cost of development may be high
    but as a Linux enthusiast, with a windows pc, playstation and wii , i would not pay money if they didn't have Linux support.

Your best bet is to actually look at the catalog that they have. Rte player has only got stuff that was shown on RTE so is quite limited, although netflix is only good if you actually like the shows they have!

You can see it here: https://signup.netflix.com/?locale=en-IE

• Advertisement

unfortunately i cant as i only have laser card
    can you get the trail without entering details.

just saw this at the end of their page
    https://signup.netflix.com/BrowseGenres/New-Arrivals/RA

had a look and their nothing much their.
    i would prefer more tv than movies and their tv selection is poor to say the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

They're probably busy coding the DRM for it now. Netflix == DRM and therefore evil. beside there is very little worth watching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

bpb101 wrote: »
    american tv and movies 100000000 x better than brithish tv and movies
    Getting off topic here, but I disagree with respect to British TV series', there are some absolutely golden British comedies out there.

Getting off topic here, but I disagree with respect to British TV series', there are some absolutely golden British comedies out there.
    no, sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

i say it will , or else mirosoft will be involved if [..]
    what wrong with flash???
    [..]
    Everything: slow, buggy, crash-prone, undebuggable (is it a word??), proprietary, dead & buried on mobile devices...

PrzemoF wrote: »
    Everything: slow, buggy, crash-prone, undebuggable (is it a word??), proprietary, dead & buried on mobile devices...
    whats the alternative ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

whats the alternative ?
    HTML5 video?

i mentioned that in 1 of my post above
    i use my laptop a lot watching movies ect and tbh i never have a problem with the flash

• Advertisement

Those of us on Linux are screwed until the people running at Netflix grows a pair and tells the MPAA to go and **** themselves.

I'm not surprised with Linux only 1 - 2 percent of the desktop market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Oh well ...... an 'unofficial' copy of Win in a VM seems to be the way to go for a Linux PC ......

I think I'll be happier doing without Netflix than installing windoze on my machine :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 AaronEverlast

Have a friend who works for Netflix. Its not happening. It might happen, but for now, its not.

• Advertisement

Do any of the alternative streaming companies have any plans for linux capability?

I dunno why people see the appeal of this kind of service while there are torrents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

eth0 wrote: »
    I dunno why people see the appeal of this kind of service while there are torrents
    Because its legitimate? Because people want to support the people who make the things they like to watch?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

ALthough there is no official Linux support I am sure it won't be hard to get it working.

Hmm must get my Netflix account.

i was just looking at the kindle fire That runs android linux and it does have netflix support so netflix has been developed for linux , although this inset on the computer is regardless.

it uses the Linux kernel and therefore should be made capable with some of the mainstream Linux's

• Advertisement

OSI wrote: »
    Because, as I've said many many many times, the only reason I torrent/download, is because there was no reasonable method of getting the content I want, on demand at a reasonable price.

Netflix does this exactly. Why go to the effort of finding a torrent, hoping it has peers etc, then waiting ages for it to download, when I can start streaming it straight away on Netflix.

You just need a decent torrent site. The public ones tend to be fairly bad - too many lads seeding at 1k/s

I'd rather wait a month for a filum to download rather than install something on my computer that uses DRM and support a crowd of DRM peddlers. I hate the way all these new shiny services come along and gloss over the fact that their software goes out of its way to 'hide' stuff from you the user or even uses dedicated Intel Insider style hardware to try and hide it from you. Tis like the Troika invading your PC except its a Troika of supermassive movie studios (there's probably only 3 left after mergers, they're all a cosy cartell anyway)

i was doing a little searching myself on netflix jobs and i found this job
    http://www2.netflix.com/Jobs?id=7602&jvi=oUr3Vfw3

• Strong technical expertise with C++ programming, memory management, multithreaded programming, and embedded Linux

• Candidates with expertise in one or more of the following areas are preferred: Linux system-level programming, networking protocols, audio/video playback and file formats, video streaming, DRM, software security, and UI frameworks (Webkit, Qt, Adobe Flash).

p.s. i made the linux bold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

You just need a decent torrent site. The public ones tend to be fairly bad - too many lads seeding at 1k/s

I'd rather wait a month for a filum to download rather than install something on my computer that uses DRM and support a crowd of DRM peddlers. I hate the way all these new shiny services come along and gloss over the fact that their software goes out of its way to 'hide' stuff from you the user or even uses dedicated Intel Insider style hardware to try and hide it from you. Tis like the Troika invading your PC except its a Troika of supermassive movie studios (there's probably only 3 left after mergers, they're all a cosy cartell anyway)

I get why DRM is a problem with games/music etc that you buy and install. It makes it difficult to move to new machines or sell on to someone else etc but with streaming content? I don't see any difference between it using drm or not and can't see how it can hamper my experience of the show/movie.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I get why DRM is a problem with games/music etc that you buy and install. It makes it difficult to move to new machines or sell on to someone else etc but with streaming content? I don't see any difference between it using drm or not and can't see how it can hamper my experience of the show/movie.

There is no such thing as streaming anymore. Its just downloading with some yoke running on your computer to make sure its disposed off once shown on the screen. Actual connectionless streaming I don't think its used for this service though I could be wrong, and if it is I'd still rather have full access to the data on my own machine. It sets a bad precedent - people accepting the idea of the little guy inside their computer from the Netflix crowd making sure you don't get at the good stuff

I do use private trackers, and yes they can be fine, but there is still to often a torrent that has feck all seeds or ones on crappy connections, I would much rather be able to watch something instantly and know I'm getting decent content rather than spend hours wondering if I just downloaded a crap rip or a big **** off virus. And why the **** would I care about what DRM Netflix uses? I'm not copying it, I'm not storing it, DRM has no affect on my ability to watch the content I want on the devices I want (admittedly bar Linux). I do find it funny when people say they won't pay for movies, and spend €100+ on HDD to download movies to.

I don't know how you manage to have such bad luck with torrents. My 100e hard drive stores all my other non-'content' stuff as well thats more than just a couple of gigs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭timbyr

There is no such thing as streaming anymore. Its just downloading with some yoke running on your computer to make sure its disposed off once shown on the screen. Actual connectionless streaming I don't think its used for this service though I could be wrong, and if it is I'd still rather have full access to the data on my own machine.

I'm not sure what you are getting at here.
    Are you referring to a multicast system? Because at your endpoint there would still be the requirement to make sure the received data is "disposed" whether using a HTTP method or a connectionless media protocol.
    Whatever transport method is used has no impact on how the application handles the stream at the far end. Still "needs" that DRM to stop you from keeping the data on your own machine.

Although on a slightly related note I think that Netflix on devices do use a media streaming protocol on devices, which would explain my ability to tunnel it through SSH and my Squid proxy being ignored by the Netflix app on my PS3 and Android devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Tis like the Troika invading your PC

Its not like that at all.

eth0 wrote:
    Actual connectionless streaming I don't think its used for this service though I could be wrong

I am unfamiliar with this term, could you elaborate please? Thanks.
    .... there surely has to be a connection .... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I am unfamiliar with this term, could you elaborate please? Thanks.
    .... there surely has to be a connection .... :confused:

You need to read up on layer 4, the transport layer.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCP/IP_model
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_layer

UDP is connectionless, unlike TCP there is no establishing the connection, it blasts away without any preliminaries and there is no acknowledgement of receipt of the packets, they are received in random order without control, it's up to the application layer to sort out and cope with the packets in the wrong order/missing. Skype and lots of other video, voice and some gaming applications use UDP as there is less overheads than TCP.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connectionless_protocol
    http://www-net.cs.umass.edu/kurose/transport/UDP.html

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    You need to read up on layer 4, the transport layer.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCP/IP_model
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_layer

UDP is connectionless, unlike TCP there is no establishing the connection, it blasts away without any preliminaries and there is no acknowledgement of receipt of the packets, they are received in random order without control, it's up to the application layer to sort out and cope with the packets in the wrong order/missing. Skype and lots of other video, voice and some gaming applications use UDP as there is less overheads than TCP.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connectionless_protocol
    http://www-net.cs.umass.edu/kurose/transport/UDP.html

Thanks ...... it refers to an non-interactive 'connection' ..... got it ...

Well...there is no connection really. It's like putting something in the post. You've no idea if it gets there or not. You just hope / assume it will.

• Advertisement
Advertisement