Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Always advisable to cycle out into the headwind first up, your asking for torture on your longest bike to date doing it the other way.

Also why flog yourself to try hit 30kmph on such a long bike?

Why not do a 2*20 session and try hit 32-34kmph on the road on a seperate day? i.e keep your threshold sessions as that and also your endurance as that?

Have you got your TT bike yet btw?

Puncture should take 5 mins max to fix unless there is a problem, i know some who can do it in about 2 or 3 tho. Id spend some time practising on a recovery day. The more you do the quicker you ll get. You dont wanna train so hard then spend 15mins on the day fixing a puncture.

Fair play on a great ride btw, thats a great ride to have under your belt so far out.

Nah i quickly reined it back in when i knew i could not sustain that pace into the wind otherwise i could have easily bonked. The positive is i hit the pace in z2 hr for the first 85km and felt very comfortable in doing so.
    I decided on going that way as i wanted to cycle up Corksrew hill although i did not reckon the wind would be blowing into my face on the way home:o
    I will be doing a good bit of z3 & z4 sessions in the build phase as everything up to now as more or less been all z2 aerobic.
    Going to work on the punctures as an extra 5/10 minutes could mean the difference between hitting or missing my target time if i do get one.
    I am about an hour ahead on the long rides against the plan but made use of my time off this week.
    Hope to have my TT bike on Monday which is a pain as i wanted to have a go on it before this Sundays duathlon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

You ll hit 30km/ph grand on your TT bike id imagine even where you are now, because i know when i ride in the drops im 1.5 - 2 km/ph quicker for less effort. A pointy hat will help too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Agree with kb3 here. Yuo will go a little quicker with the TT set up, even if its 5secs per km faster it will make a significant 15minute difference over 180km! Its more about the time on the saddle now and well done for notching up a 5.5hr solo ride. You are ahead of me on this front and my IM is 3 weeks before yours :o You are getting some really good work in on your 'break' :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭griffin100

PM me an address and I'll send you the DVD - great for watching on the turbo.

Chanel 4 seem to have taken down the programme from their 4OD service.

You ll hit 30km/ph grand on your TT bike id imagine even where you are now, because i know when i ride in the drops im 1.5 - 2 km/ph quicker for less effort. A pointy hat will help too.

Yeah itching to get the the TT bike and try it out and see how the pace compares to the road bike. I was looking at the pointy hats a while back and some of them can be dear enough. More expense lol, this tri lark can be big money:)
    Agree with kb3 here. Yuo will go a little quicker with the TT set up, even if its 5secs per km faster it will make a significant 15minute difference over 180km! Its more about the time on the saddle now and well done for notching up a 5.5hr solo ride. You are ahead of me on this front and my IM is 3 weeks before yours :o You are getting some really good work in on your 'break' :)

Yeah i am ahead of plan on the long sessions just need to reign it back in a bit but thought i would make hay while the sun shines on my 'break';). One thing i will say that 5.5 hours on your lonesome can get very boring on the bike at times.
    griffin100 wrote: »
    PM me an address and I'll send you the DVD - great for watching on the turbo.

Chanel 4 seem to have taken down the programme from their 4OD service.

Cheers Griffin pm sent. I owe you a pint if we come across each other at any events this year!!

Friday

Endurance swim session.
    2x1750mtr and 300wu/200wd
    I had the pool to myself whilst the kids hit the kiddies pool. Not sure on time.
    Distance: 4km
    Time: 1:30

Brick session
    A quick paced spin out just before it was getting dark. Cycled Lahinch to Milltown Malbray and the legs felt fresh after yesterdays long bike. I was getting a few beeps on the way back....my back light fell off the bike:(
    Distance: 22.4km
    Time: 44:39
    Avg speed: 30.2kpmh
    HR: 143/157
    In for a quick change and back out for a planned 30 minute run. Headed out along the beach, clambered up the side of a hill when i found myself surrounded by water (garmin map has me in the water:o) but i managed to find my way back. An enjoyable fun run although the last km was a killer uphill and into the wind.
    Distance: 5.66km
    Time: 28:05
    Pace: 4.57km/7.59mile
    HR: 152/171

Saturday
    An OW swim in February:eek:
    I had been building up the courage all week to jump into the Atlantic in the wetsuit. After watching all the surfers out there i thought it would be fun how wrong i was!! I managed about 20 minutes:D and my hands and feet were frozen getting out of the water. It was bloody rough going out there.
    Distance: call it 1km
    Time: 20 mins

Sunday
    Sportsman Duathlon
    No race report as i am a bloody eejit!!

Evening LSR
    My last longish run before Barcelona. The sun setting around Oldbridge was lovely and i spent the whole run visualising Barcelona. My legs felt very strong but i had difficulty with my breathing and i was coughing up all sorts of gunk. I hope i am not coming down with anything.
    Distance: 16.2km
    Time: 1:22:26
    Pace: 5.05km/8.11mile
    HR: 154/172

Week 15 Summary
    21st Feb - 27th Feb|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|11|17:01|346.5km
    Swimming|3|2.45|7.7km
    Cycling|4|11:04|300.9km
    Running|4|3:12|37.8km
    Conditioning|0|0:00|Strengthening Work/Core - Gym
    Other|0|0:00|

Totals so far
    15th Nov- 20th Feb|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|175|188:15|3139.9km
    Swimming|34|29:36|90.3km
    Cycling|49|74:54|2275.1km
    Running|72|65:46|736.6km
    Conditioning|14|12:45|Strengthening Work - Gym
    Other|6|3:30|Swim coaching

My most enjoyable and biggest volume week to date, it makes it so much easier when you are off work to get the training in. I feel well rested after the break away and look forward to a recovery/mini taper week next week. All focus is on Barcelona now and i want to be in good shape for the start line to have a good crack at taking 30 minutes off my PB.
    Need to get the diet back on track as i put on about 3kg last week!!

Sunday
    Sportsman Duathlon
    No race report as i am a bloody eejit!!

Turn up a bit late? do expand!:)

Turn up a bit late? do expand!:)

Something like that:o . The first race in the series was a 12pm start but they reverted to a 9.30 start for the other three. Fairly pissed off and knew when i got there and seen nobody something was up. Such a mongo!!

Good work put down last week JB. Taper smart now and I've no doubt Barcelona will have you revisting all of your future goals :D

• Advertisement

Something like that:o . The first race in the series was a 12pm start but they reverted to a 9.30 start for the other three. Fairly pissed off and knew when i got there and seen nobody something was up. Such a mongo!!
    Ha ha i guessed that, was looking at heading up myself and noticed teh different times alright. Other stuff got in the way anyway so might try make the next one

Good work put down last week JB. Taper smart now and I've no doubt Barcelona will have you revisting all of your future goals :D

I will be taking it very handy this week probably 2 swims, 2 easy bikes (no long one) and 3 runs. Yeah the marathon this weekend will give me a better guide as i am miles ahead of the 3:56 i posted in my first marathon in Cork last year. McMillan has me off 3:22:xx from my Waterford Half time so i will go out with a sub 3:20 and 3:25 pace band on the day and see how i get on.
    Ha ha i guessed that, was looking at heading up myself and noticed teh different times alright. Other stuff got in the way anyway so might try make the next one

Yeah i am down for the next one. The first one was well organised and the road surface was decent on the cycle.

Monday
    Rest Day

Tuesday
    Lunchtime Bike - 24km & 7km commute
    Went out for a jaunt and took it easy so was suprised to see my pace was as high when i got off the bike. Glutes felt tight enough at the start but the spin sorted that out.
    Distance: 24.06km
    Time:46:48
    Avg Speed: 30.8kpmh

Tonight the running club normally do 6x1km intervals, half thinking of replacing this session with either an easy 5/6k or else do the intervals at a slower intensity than last time perhaps PMP (4.45/4.50kms)

Even though it's not a target race cannot stop thinking about Barcelona, nervous as hell which is strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Its good to be nervous before a race !!!
    I thin you are spot on about the reps,bring down the intesity even if it means doing it on your own;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Enjoy Barcelona! Did it a few years back and found conditions perfect for the race. We got nice drizzle developing into a sunny day and it stayed in low teens temperature wise.

Its good to be nervous before a race !!!
    I thin you are spot on about the reps,bring down the intesity even if it means doing it on your own;)

Yeah just took it handy and lead out the ladies on their intervals:)
    Bambaata wrote: »
    Enjoy Barcelona! Did it a few years back and found conditions perfect for the race. We got nice drizzle developing into a sunny day and it stayed in low teens temperature wise.

Yeah cannot wait it looks like i am going to watch the match in the Nou Camp on the Saturday evening so looking forward to it. Temperature looks to be around 13 degrees which would be ideal.

Tuesday evening
    Club Session - 6x1k intervals & 1k wu/1k wd
    Decided to take it handy no point doing any speed work so close to Barcelona. Lead out the slower group on the intervals and enjoyed the easy pace.
    Jackyback Junior is flying on the running front, very proud to see him doing his stuff jogging around the track. He actually won a few euro doing the stop/start sprints to centre ......a real hustler like his aul man:)
    Distance: 6k & wu/wd
    Time: 31:24
    Pace: 5.13km

Wednesday

Crappy evening swim session
    I opted for a later swim session than the early morning one to give myself an extra few hours in the leaba. Binned this session halfway through, a combination of laziness/no energy/generally not wanting to be in the pool. My stroke, breathing and rotation was utter crap.
    I should have loads of energy to burn right now but it seems not.
    Distance: 1.6km
    Time: 40 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I printed that 3:25 pace band today and did a few PMP miles this evening, so I should be good to go out with you for the first half anyway. That's the plan at the moment. Now all I have to do is to get in the sub 3:30 pen (or maybe you fancy starting from the front of the 3:30+ pen- we should get a nice clear run at it that way?)

menoscemo wrote: »
    I printed that 3:25 pace band today and did a few PMP miles this evening, so I should be good to go out with you for the first half anyway. That's the plan at the moment. Now all I have to do is to get in the sub 3:30 pen (or maybe you fancy starting from the front of the 3:30+ pen- we should get a nice clear run at it that way?)

Yeah cool we can agree the plan of attack on Saturday evening. Would we loose much time though running through the 3.30 group? although it would give us a nice target to pass out in the first few kms.

What pen are you in 3.30+ to 4hr?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Yeah cool we can agree the plan of attack on Saturday evening. Would we loose much time though running through the 3.30 group? although it would give us a nice target to pass out in the first few kms.

What pen are you in 3.30+ to 4hr?

Yep, that's my pen. I just remember from 2hr pacing in the dublin half, starting from the front of the 2hr+ pen (instead of from the back of the 1:45-2hr pen) we were hardly held up at all, no bottle necks, just passing people out gradually. There was much less stress than being in the middle of a group of people going at different paces. Of course there were loads of people in front going much slower than us but we came upon them gradually over the first 2-3 miles rather than all in the first half mile.

Yeah i done similiar in Cork last year started at the 4hr+ group and passed the 4hr pacers after the first few miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

Hey JB, finally catching up on logs-yours and Macanri first as ye have some business this weekend. You seemed to have a lovely time in the west, I love going home and training, so quite and great routes to take in. Long solo bike rides can be tough especially in horrible conditions so well done on that front.

I hope all goes to plan in Barca and I am sure it will, you have done the work so just bang it out now. The nerves are a good thing in my experience. Good luck.

Best of luck in Barcelona JB, I really must update my own Marathon time :cool::D

Good luck on the weekend, hope it all goes to plan.

Hey JB, finally catching up on logs-yours and Macanri first as ye have some business this weekend. You seemed to have a lovely time in the west, I love going home and training, so quite and great routes to take in. Long solo bike rides can be tough especially in horrible conditions so well done on that front.

I hope all goes to plan in Barca and I am sure it will, you have done the work so just bang it out now. The nerves are a good thing in my experience. Good luck.
    Best of luck in Barcelona JB, I really must update my own Marathon time :cool::D

Thanks lads all the hard work done now although just working my way through a stomach bug at home right now:( Felt dodgy in the middle of the night along with the 2nd youngest kid, probably explains the **** swim session last night!!
    No panic for Barca though as they normally only last 12-24 hours and feeling better already. The joys of 4 nippers in the house is me or Mrs JB seem to take turns in picking up these little bugs when the kids have them, better now than on Saturday/Sunday.

As a matter of interest Mike what is your "soft" marathon time at the moment and how was your progression timewise from 1st/2nd marathon etc? Similiar for you El-D as i am trying to benchmark against my own running progression from last year.
    My marathon history so far is Cork 3:56, Dublin - failed sub 3:30 attempt due to injury and Barca XX:XX;XX:pac:

• Advertisement

Best of luck at the weekend dude!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Good luck in Barcelona, jackyback. Here's hoping you nail that marathon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Good luck and enjoy!

Thanks chaps hopefully i can nail a 30min+ PB:cool:

Thursday
    Club Session - 1k wu/3.6km intervals/1k wd
    After spending most of the day in bed with a gastric bug i felt much better in the evening. Young lad had club training so i went down in my running gear with no real intention of doing anything:rolleyes: They were doing sets of 6x600 so i decided to jump in, had that feeling of bundles of energy in the legs and the pace felt very easy but did not want to overdo it. Splits i think in 2.16/2.11/2.10/2.08/2.08/2.05
    Distance: 5.3km
    Time: 23:27
    Pace: 4.25km/7.06mile
    HR: 164/188

Thanks lads all the hard work done now although just working my way through a stomach bug at home right now:( Felt dodgy in the middle of the night along with the 2nd youngest kid, probably explains the **** swim session last night!!
    No panic for Barca though as they normally only last 12-24 hours and feeling better already. The joys of 4 nippers in the house is me or Mrs JB seem to take turns in picking up these little bugs when the kids have them, better now than on Saturday/Sunday.

As a matter of interest Mike what is your "soft" marathon time at the moment and how was your progression timewise from 1st/2nd marathon etc? Similiar for you El-D as i am trying to benchmark against my own running progression from last year.
    My marathon history so far is Cork 3:56, Dublin - failed sub 3:30 attempt due to injury and Barca XX:XX;XX:pac:

I've never done a marathon JB. I've done four half mara's, first one 1:57:xx and last years 1:32:xx. I am aiming for a 3:09:xx first marathon later this year in Dublin however. Good luck again and I hope that bug is totally out of the system now.

• Advertisement

As a matter of interest Mike what is your "soft" marathon time at the moment and how was your progression timewise from 1st/2nd marathon etc?
    Hey JB. My first Marathon was DCM07 in 3:33, then DCM08 in 3:27 which is my best and was anything but 'soft' at the time. I did a 3:58 in Conn with a Flu in 2009 and learned a BIG lesson. Since then just a couple of 3:59 pace runs for DCM09 and DCM10

I'm doing Conn again in a few weeks and have a score to settle with it. No, I'm not going after any time.. I just want to run the whole thing! Last time I blew up and walked for miles.

I've never done a marathon JB. I've done four half mara's, first one 1:57:xx and last years 1:32:xx. I am aiming for a 3:09:xx first marathon later this year in Dublin however. Good luck again and I hope that bug is totally out of the system now.

Similair progress on the halfs as myself then, 2hr down to 1hr 36 across 3 or 4 halfs. I hope to one day get down to sub 3.10 marathon and then i can start dreaming of a sub 3 attempt:rolleyes:
    Hey JB. My first Marathon was DCM07 in 3:33, then DCM08 in 3:27 which is my best and was anything but 'soft' at the time. I did a 3:58 in Conn with a Flu in 2009 and learned a BIG lesson. Since then just a couple of 3:59 pace runs for DCM09 and DCM10

I'm doing Conn again in a few weeks and have a score to settle with it. No, I'm not going after any time.. I just want to run the whole thing! Last time I blew up and walked for miles.

Interesting a good time for your first marathon. Judging from those times a few years ago and the Waterford Half time you posted earlier in the year it seems you have made huge improvements on the running front as that pace probably has you very close to a sub 3hr attempt (using that man McMillan of course:rolleyes:)

Last training update on here until Barcelona.

Friday
    AM Swim
    In the pool for an early start as i wanted to get my cycle in at lunchtime and pack my gear this evening. Just done a pyramid session and felt muh better in the pool compared to Wednesdays session.
    Session: 300wu 100/200/300/400/500/400/300/200/100 and 200wd
    Distance: 3000mtrs
    Time: 1:05

Lunchtime Bike
    Easy going just to turn the legs over
    Distance: 19.14km & 7k commute
    Time: 41 mins
    Speed: 28kmph

Well thats all for now i hope to be back on here next week with a positive race report:). I am probably in the best shape i have ever been in so no excuses for race day, bring it on!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

All the best for Barca!

Well done JB thats an excellent result man!

Well done JB thats an excellent result man!

Cheers Mike, official time 3:19:51 and all in zone 2 hr!! I will do a report tomorrow as I am off to celebrate with the rest of the boardsies.

This was my third marathon in the space of a year having previously run Cork in 3:56 and a failed 3:30 DCM attempt having to walk the last half with a hamstring tear in 4:45 so needless to say I was apprehensive going into this.

I arrived over late on the Saturday evening so late in fact that Macanri had to collect my race number (Cheers Mick) I literally dropped the bags into the room and straight out as I was going to watch the Barcelona v Zaragoza match with a few boardsies. The match was crap but it was a welcome distraction and the Nou Camp is amazing. The morning of the race I felt slightly nervous and met up with Oisin11178 and Briandrunner. My nerves relaxed slightly when I seen how bad Brian’s nerves were:D
    I was due to meet up with Meno as we had planned to run together but missed him at the start so I made my way into my pen and set off to the tunes of Barcelona (Queen) blasting out in the background.

First 10k
    I had two pace bands a sub 3:25 and sub 3:20 so the plan was to sit tight for the first 10/15km running at 3:25 pace and see how the engine was. There was a fair bit of jostling for position but I quickly got into a good rhythm. There was a small drag for about 2km around the NouCamp and then a bit of downhill. ChristieB passed me and I was going to follow him as I knew he was going for a sub 3:20 but I stuck with my plan of 3:25 pace.
    First 10km came in at 47:58, 37 seconds under 3:25 pace and 35 seconds over 3:20 pace
    10k-20k
    I really started to push on a bit and felt really good. I had made up my mind to ditch the 3:25 and go with a 3:20 attempt around the 15km mark. There was a turnaround point just before the half way mark and I seen Frank and Brian about a 1km ahead,both looked like they were in good spirits.
    This 10km came in at 47:23, 1:35:21 for the first 20km and 34 seconds off target pace.
    20k-30k
    I knew I needed to make back a bit of time and negative split the second half having ran through halfway in 1:40:36. I knocked out a couple of 4:3x kms and a few low 4:4xs to bring it back in. I passed the 15 mile marker and I seen a guy go from running to hitting the deck unconscious luckily the medics where close by so hopefully the guy is alright.
    I hit 46:39 and I knew the race was on coming through 30km bang on 2:22 and 11 secs ahead of target pace.
    30k-finish
    Up to now I did not have a wobble although around the 36km I had a few minutes of doubt but with only 6km left I soon got over it. I was passing loads of people at this stage and passed a few Irish singlets along the way. The course gave an elevation rise for the last 4km but it seemed flat enough to me. I had passed the 40km marker in 3:09:43 and 47:44 for the split. I somehow miscalculated my pace and had lost 19 seconds leaving me a few seconds off target pace.
    I worked hard for the last 2km and in particular the last 200 mtrs I needed to sprint as I mistook one of the banners as the finish line until I seen there was no clock and the real finishing line around the corner. Stopped the garmin on 3:19:51 and just prayed I was not off by chip time. Thankfully the chip time was bang on 3:19:51 and I had run a 1 minute 21 secs negative split on the second half in 1:39:15!!!

Met up with a good few boardsies after the race and had a right few pints. Head was sore this morning for the early flight back. Legs are tight today but I plan to do 20 mins later on the turbo to spin the legs out.

Well done to all as everyone seemed to come away with what they wanted, as for me I am bloody chuffed to bits taking 37 minutes off the PB. If I am honest I did not think I had a sub 3:20 in my legs yesterday and it goes to show that the training is paying off.
    Garmin summary

Terrific stuff JB, delighted for ya! All the hard training and it pays off with a perfectly paced marathon. Well done, rest easy for the week now dude. I am only realising how tough my sub 3:10 first marathon is going to be. Sounds like Barca marathon is class, I think I will put it on the calender for next year.

Terrific stuff JB, delighted for ya! All the hard training and it pays off with a perfectly paced marathon. Well done, rest easy for the week now dude. I am only realising how tough my sub 3:10 first marathon is going to be. Sounds like Barca marathon is class, I think I will put it on the calender for next year.

Thanks ElD. Yeah Barca marathon is class and the food & drink stops were fantastic, i would highly recommend it and may consider going back next year again. Looking forward to London in 4 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Izoard

Great result!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Jaysus another one in 4 weeks :eek:

Well done great time

Well done, a great result. Nice to see all the training coming to fruition.

Thanks for the report JB and well done again on a great result an a very nice negative split to boot! You are obviously in good shape

Now that i have a solid marathon time behind me it's time to stick the neck out and put down some projected splits for my IM. If i can get that bike time down i think i could get close to sub 11 but below is based on current pace & training whilst taking the course into consideration.
    Swim: 1:15
    T1: 0:05
    Bike: 6:40
    T2: 0:05
    Run: 3:45
    Total time: 11:50

Monday
    20 minutes on the bike to spin out the legs. I have some doms in the legs and they feel much worse than yesterday, maybe it's a sign i pushed myself harder than i first thought.
    Time: 20 minutes
    Distance: 7.9km

Tuesday
    Club session
    Took it handy and the main objective tonight was a short slow recovery run to get the legs back to normality. The first two kms were far too fast for a recovery so slowed it right down. Spent the 30 minutes reflecting on Barcelona and planning my attack on London.
    Distance: 5.18km
    Time: 30mins
    Pace: 5:47km/9.18mile

Week 16 Summary
    28th Feb - 06th Mar|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|7|8:05|117.6km
    Swimming|2|1.45|4.6km
    Cycling|2|1:56|57.1km
    Running|3|4:24|55.9km
    Conditioning|0|0:00|Strengthening Work/Core - Gym
    Other|0|0:00|

Totals so far
    15th Nov- 06th Mar|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|182|196:20|3257.5km
    Swimming|36|31:21|94.9km
    Cycling|51|76:50|2332.2km
    Running|75|68:10|792.5km
    Conditioning|14|12:45|Strengthening Work - Gym
    Other|6|3:30|Swim coaching

Still trying to finalise a warm up triathlon prior to my half IM at the end of May, not sure if the Joey Hannon is too close with it on 3 weeks beforehand.

Now that i have a solid marathon time behind me it's time to stick the neck out and put down some projected splits for my IM. If i can get that bike time down i think i could get close to sub 11 but below is based on current pace & training whilst taking the course into consideration.
    Swim: 1:15
    T1: 0:05
    Bike: 6:40
    T2: 0:05
    Run: 3:45
    Total time: 11:50

Monday
    20 minutes on the bike to spin out the legs. I have some doms in the legs and they feel much worse than yesterday, maybe it's a sign i pushed myself harder than i first thought.
    Time: 20 minutes
    Distance: 7.9km

That would be a serious result for ironman UK, seriously, I have heard and read how tough it is. I will actually be there myself as the misses bother is doing it too so I will be there to cheer you on :)

Now my opinion on this sort of thing is questionable at the best of times i know but.......imho an olympic distance 3 weeks before a HIM sounds perfectly fine to me (although I've never done it :rolleyes:) Actually for me it's about confidence, if I have a good race 3 weeks before a big race then that confidence really does me the world of good.

That would be a serious result for ironman UK, seriously, I have heard and read how tough it is. I will actually be there myself as the misses bother is doing it too so I will be there to cheer you on :)

Now my opinion on this sort of thing is questionable at the best of times i know but.......imho an olympic distance 3 weeks before a HIM sounds perfectly fine to me (although I've never done it :rolleyes:) Actually for me it's about confidence, if I have a good race 3 weeks before a big race then that confidence really does me the world of good.

I watched the dvd Griffin sent me before i posted the times:eek: The bike course really looks savage and also a few big hills/drags in the marathon. It gave me a real good feel for what the course is like, parts of it look **** if i am being honest. I think i am regretting picking the course but i can always pick somewhere nicer next year!!

I have never done a triathlon before so the Joey Hannon would purely be for confidence and a practice run before heading into the half. I think i may go for it and just pace it sensibly.

I watched the dvd Griffin sent me before i posted the times:eek: The bike course really looks savage and also a few big hills/drags in the marathon. It gave me a real good feel for what the course is like, parts of it look **** if i am being honest. I think i am regretting picking the course but i can always pick somewhere nicer next year!!

I have never done a triathlon before so the Joey Hannon would purely be for confidence and a practice run before heading into the half. I think i may go for it and just pace it sensibly.

Ya if you paced it accordingly you should be fine. How about an OW triathlon, just for the experience of all those bodies in close proximity, chopping up the water etc... although just checked for olym distance races and there are none, Waterville is on same weekend but it's a sprint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

planning my attack on London.

7/7 style terrorist attack as you blow up is it? :D

Advertisement