Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M1 New Section of D3 (three lanes) at Swords

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

MoeJay wrote: »
    M1 NB mainline resurfaced over Friday night just at J4...slip road from M1 NB to R132 was also finished earlier in the week. Lots of stud fitting left to do.

The diversion on the M1 on Friday was...interesting. Off at J4 to R132 SB to first Swords roundabout and then back NB onto the M1 again. Lots of queues on M1 from J2, then queues on R132 as people tried to make u-turns (not all of them in legitimate turning places)...how there wasn't an accident is beyond me!

Sure it'll be be worth it when it's done!

I was a victim, though it was past midnight - I just went down to the first roundabout in Swords and did my U-turn there. At least there weren't any queues at that stage. Wonder if the coming week will see this job finally put to bed. It is ridiculous how long this job took - they should IMO be working weekends to get the job done given the length of time motorists have had to endure the 60kph speed zone that just keeps growing longer. One would wonder why the limit couldn't be raised to at least 80kph on the near complete Southern part of the scheme.

In any case, it's nearly there thankfully...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Will the speed limit be 100 or 120 on this section when finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Will the speed limit be 100 or 120 on this section when finished?

Probably 100, sher us paddy a couldn't be trusted with 3 lanes any faster( patronising NRA/rsa reason )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

Probably 100, sher us paddy a couldn't be trusted with 3 lanes any faster( patronising NRA/rsa reason )

There are no three lane roads in the country with 120kph limits. M50, M/N1, 2, 4, 7, 11...all have 100kph or less on the three lane sections.

Given the junction frequency and weaving required probably wouldn't disagree with the RSA...for once.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

100k is standard for the lane width and junction spacing that we're dealing with on all 6-laned roads in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Quickelles wrote: »
    There are no three lane roads in the country with 120kph limits. M50, M/N1, 2, 4, 7, 11...all have 100kph or less on the three lane sections.

Given the junction frequency and weaving required probably wouldn't disagree with the RSA...for once.

A small section of the N2 that is 3 lanes (and not marked as an auxiliary lane) is 120 :D

A small section of the N2 that is 3 lanes (and not marked as an auxiliary lane) is 120 :D

Thank you for bringing that to our attention Mr Chris Numerals. We will commission some 100kph signs immediately.

Joe Snail

RSA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

Does this have wider lanes than the other (100kph) schemes?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

There is no reason to have this as 100kph after Drynam, which has no north facing ramps. This is 3.8km from Lissenhall, almost twice as far as the distance between Jct 12 & 13 in Dunleer.

This idea that D3M routes have lower speed limits than D2M ones is the exact opposite of international practice.

3 lanes own southbound this evening from south of the broad meadow bridges

3 lanes open approaching the Lissenhall junction northbound this evening too

I only realised last night, that the m1n-r132s movement is not freeflow, so the only freeflow movement is from the hearse road to m1s

The m3 has 3 lanes and a 120 limit past Clonee and Dunboyne, as has the m8 at Cashel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

ardmacha wrote: »
    There is no reason to have this as 100kph after Drynam, which has no north facing ramps. This is 3.8km from Lissenhall, almost twice as far as the distance between Jct 12 & 13 in Dunleer.

This idea that D3M routes have lower speed limits than D2M ones is the exact opposite of international practice.

We'll get the usual "narrow lanes" and "reduced sight lines" rubbish trotted out that we got for the M50 upgrade, not that it will matter to the majority of people who will do 120 km/h regardless. Safely, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

3 lanes own southbound this evening from south of the broad meadow bridges

3 lanes open approaching the Lissenhall junction northbound this evening too

I only realised last night, that the m1n-r132s movement is not freeflow, so the only freeflow movement is from the hearse road to m1s

The m3 has 3 lanes and a 120 limit past Clonee and Dunboyne, as has the m8 at Cashel

The M8 at Cashel is an auxiliary lane between two closely spaced junctions and not strictly a 3 lane motorway.

One of the two junctions was restricted access (northbound slips only) but was made full access when the Topaz garage was built. One of the conditions was that an auxiliary lane had to be built to prevent close-quarters weaving.

3lanes open both ways from Lissenhall to Drynham junction today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Does this mean the 60kmph speed limits are gone?

this order suggests that they should have ended in May. Can anyone find a more recent order or an extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Hallelujah-Tomorrow-Is-Friday
    Finally--At-Last-The-Olyimpic-Its-Time-To-Prove-I-Am-The-Best-and-.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

still there, still being ignored :pac:

Well no one was driving below 80 anyway, but the signs were still up

Well no one was driving below 80 anyway, but the signs were still up

Bit like our infamous "road flooded" signs that virtually guarantee that the road ahead is dry?! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

M1 Drynam cam from this morning. M1 Malahide Estuary and M1 Lissenhall cams not working at the moment on the Council traffic site.

site16Camera111.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

Folks,

Some pics of the new D3M section uploaded to SSC here.

/csd

csd wrote: »
    Folks,

Some pics of the new D3M section uploaded to SSC here.

/csd
    Just a note, there was no hard shoulder on the broad meadow estuary when it was 2 lanes either. The yellow line is pretty much where it was pre-upgrade

Good pics.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I think I'm one of the only people now that still plods along around 60, even now that they've opened the third lane - little old ladies, trucks, buses all hurtle past me at what feels like breakneck speeds while I snail along the wide-open road wondering if I'll ever get home or to work! I got 6 points around August/September last year on the M1, all within a 10 day window and the wounds are still very much open...

They've actually extended the area to which the limit is reduced to 60 when traveling Southbound on the M1 - up to the opening of the 3rd lane, it went back to 80 just after the slip road that joins from the Swords roundabout - its now still at 60 till around where the road joins from the airport roundabout. Its not very obvious, i.e. they have less signs indicating the reduced limit but its definitely the case, I'm driving slowly enough to observe the signage! - what has been a very painful few months driving on that road has become even more so now!

And if you cause a fatal accident doing 60 I hope the people who have left the signs up get charged with manslaughter. :mad:

And if you cause a fatal accident doing 60 I hope the people who have left the signs up get charged with manslaughter.

Scubadevils will not cause an accident, he can easily stop from that speed. Someone speeding may run into him, but that is their fault and their fault alone. Someone driving at a posted limit is hardly the "unexpected", whether you agree with the limit or not.

ardmacha wrote: »
    Scubadevils will not cause an accident, he can easily stop from that speed. Someone speeding may run into him, but that is their fault and their fault alone. Someone driving at a posted limit is hardly the "unexpected", whether you agree with the limit or not.

I disagree.

Bizarre and inappropriate limits are the same as bad roads or engineering at a fatal junction.

A 60 kph on a perfect motorway is akin to putting a STOP sign in the middle of the M50 and waiting to see what happens.

The folk who do that should be hung, drawn and quartered. :mad:

Bizarre and inappropriate limits are the same as bad roads or engineering at a fatal junction.

They're not. They may be an inconvenience, or even a pain in the arse, but do not cause accidents. The accidents are caused by those who drive too fast and they alone.

That said roadworks limits are inappropriately used and this is down to laziness for the most part. Someone passes a regulation for a period of time, without much concern as to how appropriate this is. Then they leave the signs there day and night, even when the builders have cleared off for the Xmas holidays and the like. Electronic signs are needed that can impose a 60kph when required and this should be enforced strictly, but which can be amended when appropriate and the legal orders need to make it possible for these to be used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭bennya

120 km/h limits seem to be in place from what I've seen yesterday evening and this morning :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

So is this officially finished yet?

• Advertisement

spacetweek wrote: »
    So is this officially finished yet?

I doubt it, they've some ghost island painting to do at the Lissenhall on ramp and other snags I'd say

Advertisement