Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,059 ✭✭✭Doge

Love advanced download manager also. It pains me that i can get a download accelerator on my phone, yet there isnt a single chrome extension that is stable and has download acceleration on desktop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Tech chimp here, how so I get this advance download manager to take over my downloads? Tried downloading a couple of films from an app and download starts with the default manager that comes with the phone. Tried clearing all app defaults but download manager wasn't affected.

Edit: corkie thanks a bunch, you're a star.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

Whats the best music player?
    I've recently switched from Samsung to Sony and I find the default music player a bit annoying to use.
    I don't care about streaming or video playing (I just want local music), but I do want one that will have similar integration as the standard one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I've just started using Poweramp, I find it really good. Really easy to customize.

There's a free trial, but the full version is on sale for 99c at the moment.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.maxmpz.audioplayer&hl=en

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

I use rocket player and find it great.

Thanks, I'll give them both a trial run for a while, see which works for me. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,718 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Zombienosh wrote: »
    I've just started using Poweramp, I find it really good. Really easy to customize.

There's a free trial, but the full version is on sale for 99c at the moment.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.maxmpz.audioplayer&hl=en

Is there any way one can stop it adding the audio from videos you've shot not being added to your library?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

I use "charging time" it is free and tells you what mA your phone charges (let's you know if you have a good quality cable that charges your phone fast) Also tells you what time for the full charge is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Doubletwist is excellent, I've tried poweramp a few times, and gave it another go a few days ago when the price went down for black Friday but I found it awkward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭corkie

duploelabs wrote: »
    Is there any way one can stop it adding the audio from videos you've shot not being added to your library?

For Poweramp

You can control what folders your library scans, just make sure your video folder is not included.

Go to settings + folders and library + Music folders

Then just choose what folders you want in your library

So I've tried poweramp and Rocket player, and both have managed to annoy me already.
    Poweramp is quite awkward to make your own playlists and for some reason starts playing music every time the phone starts.
    Rocket player has crashed a few times on me, forcing me to restart my phone to stop the song, which is stuck in a loop.

kiddums wrote: »
    So I've tried poweramp and Rocket player, and both have managed to annoy me already.
    Poweramp is quite awkward to make your own playlists and for some reason starts playing music every time the phone starts.
    Rocket player has crashed a few times on me, forcing me to restart my phone to stop the song, which is stuck in a loop.

I have been using rocket player on all my nexus devices for quite a while and never had any issues

I have been using rocket player on all my nexus devices for quite a while and never had any issues

Theres another music player app you could try,pulsar.its gets good reviews,i just downloaded it but havnt checked it out yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭bren2001

I've used poweramp for 2 years now and find it excellent. At the start it really really really bugged me. You can go into the settings and change the settings. By default it starts playing music when you connect your headphones, you can turn that off. Once I got it setup the way I like it, I've found it to be the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Wizard!

Not a single issue. Had some with the EQ, but was with the free version. Once I got the Pro, everything works smoothly. Also, they have great support. Try to contact them. They were more than helpful.

iTube is what i use for listening on music / videos. can be run on background as well unlike youtube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

bren2001 wrote: »
    I've used poweramp for 2 years now and find it excellent. At the start it really really really bugged me. You can go into the settings and change the settings. By default it starts playing music when you connect your headphones, you can turn that off. Once I got it setup the way I like it, I've found it to be the best.

Same here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭corkie

Amazon Underground Expands To Sixteen European Countries And Territories, Including Italy And Spain

Including Ireland.

Monument Valley is free on it and worth getting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭G1032

Any recommendations for Radio streaming apps? The Newstalk native one makes the little baby jesus cry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Any recommendations for Radio streaming apps? The Newstalk native one makes the little baby jesus cry

Tunein

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

If you're looking for the Irish stations, this app works well for me;

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ie.radioplayer.android

though it frequently takes more than one click to open up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

spotify is 99c for 3 months.

got it last night and its so handy. doubt id be paying the 9.99 monthly charge after the 3 months though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

MarkY91 wrote: »

got it last night and its so handy. doubt id be paying the 9.99 monthly charge after the 3 months though.

If you're a vodafone user you can get it for €5 a month http://www.vodafone.ie/red/extra/spotify?icmp=megadd-offers

If you're not a Vodafone user, just sign up for pay as you go and pay for Spotify out of the credit, you don't need to be an active user.

My brother is on Vodafone PAYG...he doesn't want Spotify but maybe I could piggyback on his account. The thing is how does Spotify link with your Vodafone account? I don't get how you go about getting it for a fiver?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

b.gud wrote: »
    If you're a vodafone user you can get it for €5 a month http://www.vodafone.ie/red/extra/spotify?icmp=megadd-offers

If you're not a Vodafone user, just sign up for pay as you go and pay for Spotify out of the credit, you don't need to be an active user.

im meteor. i wasnt aware you can pay with credit. i might do that after the 3 months if im still getting daily use from it. i often have left over credit when i want to get a e20 top up plan.

im meteor. i wasnt aware you can pay with credit. i might do that after the 3 months if im still getting daily use from it. i often have left over credit when i want to get a e20 top up plan.

Its has to be vodafone credit, its a vodafone deal!

So when you pay for the Red Extra plan with your Vodafone credit do you get a special link to sign up to Spotify for a fiver a month?

• Advertisement

Doesn't work if you've already had a premium account, well I think so as it didn't work for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

FrostyJim wrote: »

What FrostyJim says it has to be vodafone credit but nothing to stop you getting a vodafone payg sim popping €20 in it and getting 4 months of half price spotify
    So when you pay for the Red Extra plan with your Vodafone credit do you get a special link to sign up to Spotify for a fiver a month?

I haven't actually signed up yet as I only found out about it recently so I don't know unfortunately

b.gud wrote: »
    What FrostyJim says it has to be vodafone credit but nothing to stop you getting a vodafone payg sim popping €20 in it and getting 4 months of half price spotify

I haven't actually signed up yet as I only found out about it recently so I don't know unfortunately

Seems you have to text to get a link in which you signup for premium on.

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057119397

If anyone does do this please let me know how it goes as i may buy a Vodafone sim solely for Spotify premium . I could stretch to €5pm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I Installed it 2 weeks ago, on an old android tablet .
    Black and White browser ,
    it saves battery ,as it just shows websites in black or white ,no colour images .
    i prefer to read slate .com ,long articles, in black and white , easier on the eye, some ads dont show up in black and white .
    I tried last night ,i cant find it on google play.
    Rocket music player , the only player i can find with a sleep timer , stop playingsong after 1 hour or exact time set by user.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Tunein

Know of any way to get rid of the lockscreen showing the stream graphic? Doesn't disappear when you quit the app

Know of any way to get rid of the lockscreen showing the stream graphic? Doesn't disappear when you quit the app

You have to click on "exit" within the app.i think its on the top right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If you press "Stop" on the lock screen it goes away too.

Very annoying though... it has been like that for as long as I've had Android L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Best apps of 2015 according to google play.

I only recently started using Nova Launcher and Swiftkey, anyone recommend anything else from that list?

• Advertisement

Unfortunately, neither pressing the stop button nor exit on the top right work, only restarting the phone gets rid of it. Rather embarrassing having a picture of sean moncrieff as my lockscreen image, the missus wasn't impressed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Settings - untick enable album art?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

jgbyr wrote: »
    Settings - untick enable album art?

Settings/lockscreen/ doesn't have the option to enable/disable album art

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

I wonder would work mind me signing up for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭alex.middleton

any type of pomodoro timer app! does wonders for productivity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Unfortunately, neither pressing the stop button nor exit on the top right work, only restarting the phone gets rid of it. Rather embarrassing having a picture of sean moncrieff as my lockscreen image, the missus wasn't impressed

It used to be like that for me too - it left Marty Whelan on my lockscreen one day ffs! - but it doesn't happen any more. I think it stopped when I got Lollipop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Osmand.gif

OsmAnd+ Maps & Navigation OsmAnd

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.osmand.plus&hl=en

---

€0.10

Ten cent.

---

More or less free. I use this often, great for a quick map search offline, when you're not bothered going online, or have no data/credit left..

Quoting what I said about it a few weeks back..

Amalgam wrote: »
    Osmand.gif

OsmAnd+ Maps & Navigation OsmAnd

Paid/Support (€6.49): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.osmand.plus&hl=en

Free: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.osmand&hl=en

---

Having a proper, full, offline country map is a Godsend. I'm partial to the vector style of map display that OsmAnd offer, very reminiscent of road maps supplied by Ordnance Survey Ireland. (osi.ie)

Vector mapping that to me, beats the likes of Google and Bing, from the point of view of aesthetics.

I haven't tried the free version, but the paid app allows the download of any country that you care to view, Ireland is a vector map download of about 150MB, give or take.

A crowd sourced manner of mapping, evolves thanks to, possibly, *your* input.

There are issues with the UI, having to enter a full address to 'go to', can be tiresome, if you're looking for wildcard searches, Google/Bing will provide a more instant experience, but for offline use, it works great.

---

Osm_And01boards.gif

Osm_And02boards.gif

Osm_And03boards.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

^^^Finding where you want to go is an awful pain though, house number, street, town, county, cannot find....grrr f%^k off.

I use it but it'd drive ya demented. I wouldn't even pay 10cent for it.

AND AND, now it's awhile since I tried it so maybe it's improved but it's missing a rake of the crap backroads that ya get in the arsehole of nowhere like where I currently live. The HOOPS ya have to go through to tell them they're missing a road/POI. Shure I ended up not bothering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Here maps is free . pretty good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Asmooh

I use navmii , and yes it's free

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement