Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Who's who here

• 01-01-2006 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭

I know that Grimes is a a student of archaeology, as am I.

All you other contributors; what do you do and how deep is your interest in the subject?

(Hey Grimes, fancy stickying this?)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well I've just discovered(or uncovered) this forum. Nice one. I've no scholastic background in the area, but I've always had a big interest in the subject. I used to collect fossils in a big way as a callow youth(bear with me:)) and on a few occasions I found stone tools*. That peaked my interest in prehistory in particular. I'm ashamed to say that if an archaeology documentary or book is any more recent than the Roman empire i lose interest. I suspect that what we've uncovered here already is but the tip of the iceberg. I do think sometimes the amateur may have much to give and I'd like to be considered the token (very) amateur.

Quite a few neolithic blades, borers and a tool which I suspect may be older(significantly older). If it is, it may cause trouble as Neandertals weren't supposed to be here. It's not an erratic carried on glaciers either as it's a local stone and the patina suggests an undisturbed burial(as much as it's antiquity allowed anyway). I'll try to find it and post piccies. The joke is I don't know precisely where it is. technical term would be oops:o

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 queen_kala

im in second year archeology in UCD. i love arch, it has always been what i wanted to do. i did arts specifically to do archaeology.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Amateur Enthusiast and campaigner.
    Would have loved to have done it in college but didnr get the points.
    Anyone know of a decent course(Night)??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Well I do English and History in UCD but I'm one of those "why the fúck didnt i pick archaeology?" people!

Always found it fascinating and would like to know more about it.

(that and i like to stalk enda on the forums)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Sushi

Currently third year archaeology/geography student at the University of Calgary, thinking about coming over to Ireland this summer to do a field school. Thought I could maybe scope out the scene a bit before I showed up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Hi, I'm Tom.

I have an old bone i'd like you all to have a look at...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

nice forum...
    *gets coat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Amateur Enthusiast and campaigner.
    Would have loved to have done it in college but didnr get the points.
    Anyone know of a decent course(Night)??

The School of Archaeology at UCD offers the subject at certificate and degree level in the modular (part-time) sylibus.

Check it out. There are sometimes special interest courses too, dealing with specific themes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

heya boney! :p
    i'm also an archaeology student in ucd, same class as boneless. always had an interest, and when a professional moved in next door she totally convinced me to go for it.
    not exactly sure whether i'll work as one or not yet, but i've definitely enjoyed the course, despite how much work it is!

Seraphina wrote:
    heya boney! :p
    i'm also an archaeology student in ucd, same class as boneless. always had an interest, and when a professional moved in next door she totally convinced me to go for it.
    not exactly sure whether i'll work as one or not yet, but i've definitely enjoyed the course, despite how much work it is!

You get your best Zzzzzz's during arch!! You must be learning by osmosis!!!

:):):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭**elaine**

Nice forum! :)
    I'm also a UCD archaeology student.

**elaine** wrote:
    Nice forum! :)
    I'm also a UCD archaeology student.

Hi there... what year are you in? I'm 3rd; the scary year!!! And as auditor of Arch.Soc. I have to ask... are you a member?

boneless wrote:
    Hi there... what year are you in? I'm 3rd; the scary year!!! And as auditor of Arch.Soc. I have to ask... are you a member?
    I'm in first year and yes I'm a member.
    I joined during freshers week but haven't gone to any of the coffee mornings etc. yet! Always next semester..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

**elaine** wrote:
    I'm in first year and yes I'm a member.
    I joined during freshers week but haven't gone to any of the coffee mornings etc. yet! Always next semester..

Ha, brill. Im a frist year who joined with the best intentions but never went to a coffee morning either. How did you find the exam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭the real ramon

Hey people,

I'm not a student or anything, just a very interested amateur. Always loved ancient history in school, when we did it in first year, and have kept up an interest since then, reading books on the subject every so often. My favourite times and places would be ancient Mesopotamia, Greece, Rome, Pagan-era Europe, and Native America before Columbus. Like a previous poster I lose interest if it's anything after the Roman Empire, though recently my interest is growing in the time periods since then, but I'm still not as interested as in ancient times.

Grimes wrote:
    Ha, brill. Im a frist year who joined with the best intentions but never went to a coffee morning either. How did you find the exam?
    The exam wasn't too bad actually. I was kinda dreading it though, but once I got in there it was alright!
    How did it go for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

**elaine** wrote:
    How did it go for you?

The short questions were a bit of a pain due to the negative marking in the back of my mind. I kept second guessing myself. The long questions were grand. Warren's question on the ladscape was nice and the questions on the LBK and Bronze age longhouses were really simular which made it dead handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

boneless wrote:
    You get your best Zzzzzz's during arch!! You must be learning by osmosis!!!

:):):)

seems to be the only way i can learn! i should get books on tape - falling asleep wouldn't make a different to my information intake...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

I'm doing Archaeology in UCD as well. 1st year in the evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭ferdi

2nd arch in ucd.

how did that arch soc trip to scotland go last term? i tried to go but there was confusion and i didnt get a place :rage/

• Advertisement

ferdi wrote:
    2nd arch in ucd.

how did that arch soc trip to scotland go last term? i tried to go but there was confusion and i didnt get a place :rage/

Sorry 'bout that mate... it was good craic though... what I can remember of it; malt whisky... the bane of me life. I love the velvet tastes but the iron fist screws me mind!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Just a very interested amateur (30 years of it). Interested in old world cultures. I am a designer so I draw inspiration from ancient designs murals and artwork.
    Vey interested in primitive man, Inca, Egypt, and Middle East. Special emphasis on Early Christian.
    Nice to meet you all, looking forward to learning a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭exactiv

all of your interest in archaeoology will fade when you're standing in a muddy field in February in the freezing cold with rain that falls sideways into your face.

It won't matter how much fun you thought it was going to be, saving our culture, you'll end up like the rest of the Archaeologists in the country. Cold, wet, muddy, arthritic and underpaid.

exactiv wrote:
    all of your interest in archaeoology will fade when you're standing in a muddy field in February in the freezing cold with rain that falls sideways into your face.

It won't matter how much fun you thought it was going to be, saving our culture, you'll end up like the rest of the Archaeologists in the country. Cold, wet, muddy, arthritic and underpaid.

I'm already artrithic and I'm used to the cold wet rain and mud; sounds like a good days birdwatching :) I take it you work or worked in the field? (Pun Intended).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭exactiv

Yeah. I work for an archaeological firm in Cork. Spent some time in the field. But I'm mostly in the office these days, thank jeebus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Twigy

Hi, Im studying archaelogy myself. Science in UCD but i have always wanted to do egyptology. Any of you guys interested in egyptian history? Hoping to make it to cairo and study it there one day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 hiberno

Archaeology is one of the better subjects you can study and with a degree in it you can study anywhere. I'm ex-UCD and loved my time there, was involved with Arch. Soc., we never got away anywhere other than the North, wet West Cork (though it was warm for December) and assorted day trips!

Is the soccer team still playing in the super league? We kicked it off in 1995 and were a pretty useful bunch!

Twigy, you'll enjoy Egypt, but when at the Pyramids in Giza, head out back to the small tombs, amzing, and none of the locals will bother you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Twigy

I have been to egypt. One of the most amazing places i have ever been to. Stayed mostly in Luxor but visited Aswan,cairo and Hurgada. One trip really isn't enough to see everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭arctic lemur

Hi qualifiedas secondary teacher then did H.dip in archaeology in UCC. always loved it and enjoyed teaching it at J.C. cycle. but was afraid of the risk of going full into it as a career. I'm doing the UCD field school in Tulsk, Roscommon this summer and I can't wait.I write article of local arch interest at home to keep the people in the locality interested. Medieval Pottery and vernacular architecture are my main interests.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭arctic lemur

Went to Knossos with my mother the year before last, was offered job on site in Crete and the biggest regret I had was i never took it. wish i could turn back time.

Advertisement