Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Rifle Power Limit

Options
  • 10-10-2012 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I own a air arms s510 but im not happy with the power. Do u know what the power limit for air rifles are in Ireland? I just can't accept 20fbt/ilb

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭slug gun

There is no power limit in Ireland...air rifles are classed as *firearms. Its different for example in England where they can be held certificate free if under 12ft/lbs.

The nature of airguns is that they are less powerful than a .22LR. But in saying that, they are totally capable of dispatching quarry up to 40 yards at 12 ft/lbs, and out to 60 yards at 30 to 40 ft/lbs.

Other air rifles, such as Daystate or Theoben pcp's will produce more ft/lb grunt, but low shot count per air fill.

Your 510 produces about 28 ft lbs in .22, which should cover most applications expected of an air rifle. What area is it letting you down in?

*As a side note, it would be great if airguns were not subject to the same rigorous certification process as a .308 bolt action, which they are currently!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

clancyboy wrote: »
    I own a air arms s510 but im not happy with the power. Do u know what the power limit for air rifles are in Ireland? I just can't accept 20fbt/ilb

Are you sure that your S510 produces 20ft/lb?

Because thats neither the S510 (11.3-11.5) nor S510 Xtra FAC stated power (24 ft/lbs).

I have an S410 xtra FAC and am more than happy with the power.

If you need more power and you have an FAC version, you would be better off going for a .22lr.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Any air rifle with a muzzle energy of 1 joule or greater is classed as a firearm.
    If your one has 20 ft/lb then it's a firearm and you should have a firearms license.

Once you have the license there are no limits on how powerful the air rifle can be.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Tikkat is correct.

24ft.lb is about the average for hunting air rifles.

You can get things like the Eun Jin Sumatra which are up to 60ft.lb. but at that stage you'd be far better served by a .22lr firing subs and using a moderator. This will amount to all the stealth of a high powered PCP, with more accuracy, and without the air charge restrictions.

I am curious as to why you think you need more than 20ft.lbs for any general air rifle quarry?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

;) British air rifles are designed with the power limits very much in mind.
    Have you actually run the rifle over a chrono to get the energy levels.?
    AFAIK th s510 was never designed to run over 12 ft/lbs - Air Arms market their s410 xtra for that.
    Even if you could tweak it to 30 ft/lbs the shot count would be a miserable 25- 30 max
    If you want a 25-30 ft/lb rifle get a 400/500cc buddy bottle rifle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭slug gun

PyramidAir advertises the S510 Xtra FAC with a m.v of 920 fps in .22. Assuming a pellet weight of 15 grains, then it produces 28ft/lbs at the muzzle.

As suggested, run a few shots over a chrono and check the m.e. Do it with a fresh fill of air, and check pellet weight. I hope you weren't sold the UK domestic version.......

Let us know your results

ATB, Slug

:rolleyes: After a little research I'm going to eat my words. The s510 is available as the xtra classic model putting out 30 ft/lbs. If however you convert a 12 ft/lb gun it will only make 20 ft/lbs due to the hammer spring/transfer port set up.
    See the www.airgunbbs for a discussion on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

recipio wrote: »
    :rolleyes: After a little research I'm going to eat my words. The s510 is available as the xtra classic model putting out 30 ft/lbs. If however you convert a 12 ft/lb gun it will only make 20 ft/lbs due to the hammer spring/transfer port set up.
    See the www.airgunbbs for a discussion on this.

Hadnt spotted that model myself :eek:

Have the S410 Xtra FAC and at 30 ft/lb its very versatile as you can adjust the power from 6 ft/lb to 30 and shoot safely in a lot of different locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Ezridax wrote: »
    Once you have the license there are no limits on how powerful the air rifle can be.

Why not go the Yank route, Overkill.

At 9.8lb the Benjamin Rogue .357

They are hunting Pigs with them in America and also stories of Deer (i dont know why but...)

Benjamin Rogue .357 ePCP Air Rifle

Imagine one rifle that you can program to shoot ammunition at a specific velocity and tailor the energy delivery you need to harvest any game from small varmints to wild hogs. It’s not a science-fiction weapon, it’s an air rifle that will change the way you think about air-gun hunting. The Rogue is an electronic pre-charged pneumatic (ePCP) .357-caliber air rifle that hits hard without the noise or recoil centerfire rifles produce. It sends 175-grain bullets downrange at more than 800 fps. Shoots four to 20 shots per fill, depending on the power setting. Up to six bullets are stored in a fast-cycling magazine. Compressed ePCP air power is recharged by using the High-Pressure Tank or High-Pressure Hand Pump (sold separately). A 3/8" dovetail-style rail accepts conventional optics mounts. There’s also an accessory rail under the forend. A programmable two-stage adjustable trigger delivers crisp match-grade trigger performance. The adjustable rear stock lets you customize the Rogue’s fit and length of pull.
    Weight: 9.8 lbs.

Is that big enough for you OP???

Link. www.cabelas.com/air-rifles-benjamin-rogue-357-epcp-air-rifle.shtml

If however you convert a 12 ft/lb gun it will only make 20 ft/lbs due to the hammer spring/transfer port set up.

I wouldn't take this as gospel - I know for a fact that the HW's can be kitted with tunable hammer springs which can be set up to compliment whatever configuration the regulator is in. The FAC HW configs are generally set for optimal accuracy with the accompanying barrel (there's 3 barrel options)rather than overarching power.

• Advertisement

extremetaz wrote: »
    I wouldn't take this as gospel - I know for a fact that the HW's can be kitted with tunable hammer springs which can be set up to compliment whatever configuration the regulator is in. The FAC HW configs are generally set for optimal accuracy with the accompanying barrel (there's 3 barrel options)rather than overarching power.

I agree, nothing is set in stone.
    I read on the airgunBBS ( UK based ) that a few people tried to uprate the standard s510 and only got about 20 ft/lbs out of it.
    Regarding the HW100 they seem to be on special order if over 12ft/lb in the UK and not available at all in .20 cal. Any info on availability in the ROI. ?

I agree, nothing is set in stone.
    I read on the airgunBBS ( UK based ) that a few people tried to uprate the standard s510 and only got about 20 ft/lbs out of it.
    Regarding the HW100 they seem to be on special order if over 12ft/lb in the UK and not available at all in .20 cal. Any info on availability in the ROI. ?

Unfortunately parts for most air rifles here are going to come from the UK for the most part.

WRT HW rifles, Hull Cartridge do most of the work in the UK - the rifles are generally built as either FAC or non-FAC units although either receiver can be configured for either role. Naturally, the latter is far more popular.

The websites in the UK don't tend to allow much discussion of reconfigurations on account of the potential legal issues which may arise as a result, nevertheless this information is out there and most of the parts required, including seals, springs, guides, etc.. are readily enough available online. How you arrange for the postage of such parts to ireland (I recommend approaching your local RFD to either order for you or act as a shipping address) is up to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Enda17

Hi guys
    I ama aware there is a full power version of the weihrauch hw97k (18 ftlb) and a uk version (12ftlb) anyone know which ones are in ireland?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭skipking

almost all air rifles in ireland are full power only sub. 12ftb in england as you dont need a permit for air rifles under 12ftb.
    over 12ftb you need a permit. as all air rifles in ireland have to have a permit there is no point in sub 12ftb.
    most air rifles are made full power and tuned down to sub 12ftb for the english market. i have a air arms s410 sl extra
    fac getting 30-34ftb depending on the pellet

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭oldtart

skipking wrote: »
    almost all air rifles in ireland are full power only sub. 12ftb in england as you dont need a permit for air rifles under 12ftb.
    over 12ftb you need a permit. as all air rifles in ireland have to have a permit there is no point in sub 12ftb.
    most air rifles are made full power and tuned down to sub 12ftb for the english market. i have a air arms s410 sl extra
    fac getting 30-34ftb depending on the pellet

I was brought up with air rifles and have great fondness for them, unfortunately i can't justify one now with their limitations. If I want something 30 ft lbs I can get 22lr which will do the job. In fact there is not much a 22lr will not do that an air rifle will. I was once an avid air man, but have now been converted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

oldtart wrote: »
    I was brought up with air rifles and have great fondness for them, unfortunately i can't justify one now with their limitations. If I want something 30 ft lbs I can get 22lr which will do the job. In fact there is not much a 22lr will not do that an air rifle will. I was once an avid air man, but have now been converted.

Shooting skywards and shooting inside farm buildings are 2 things you can do with air rifles with higher degree of safety than 22lr. Air rifles are perfect tools for despatching trapped quarry too. Wouldn't try that with a 22lr either.

i agree with vegeta . my 410sl has adj. power and i use it to shoot feral pigeon in sheds at night on low power without
    damaging sheeting if you miss or the pellet passes through.

Vegeta wrote: »
    Shooting skywards and shooting inside farm buildings are 2 things you can do with air rifles with higher degree of safety than 22lr. Air rifles are perfect tools for despatching trapped quarry too. Wouldn't try that with a 22lr either.

Shooting skywards is not something that can be done easily with 22lr is true. Despatching trapped quarry I do with a 22lr chamber adapter in the 12, it's not a rifled adapter and is not mad powerful.

chamber adapter are not legal in ireland as far as i know. one gun firing 2 different calibers,

skipking wrote: »
    chamber adapter are not legal in ireland as far as i know. one gun firing 2 different calibers,

I am under the impression that as long as you have a licence for the calibre of adapter you are using you are legal. It's like those blank firing alarms - as long as you have a 12 bore licence you can possess the 12 bore blanks that they fire.

• Advertisement

Vegeta wrote: »

I have been researching low power 22lr ammo and I came across some fellas using Aguila Super Colibri, which has a 20 grain bullet at 500fps and only 11ftlbs at the muzzle, so I was thinking it might be ok in barns and sheds etc.

if you get those bullets i suggest you try them out on a sheet of galvanized sheeting at a distance of around the same
    height of the shed first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Those super colibri won't damage good sheeting when you miss the target. I've tried them, they were horrendous to group.

img08381o.jpg

Shot at 25 yards of a bipod aiming dead centre. 1" between each marking. They were flying everywhere. A shotgun would be ashamed of that pattern:([/QUOTE]

Not really sure that Super is a correct word for Super Colibri.

That sort of grouping (if I can call it that) is not much good for rat shooting in a barn at 25yds. Did you try 10 or 12 yards as that might be a better distance for inside a shed or barn?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭lefthooker

oldtart wrote: »
    Not really sure that Super is a correct word for Super Colibri.

That sort of grouping (if I can call it that) is not much good for rat shooting in a barn at 25yds. Did you try 10 or 12 yards as that might be a better distance for inside a shed or barn?

I didn't waste anymore time at any distance. I gave them away.
    10-12 yds??? Most effective combination is the Jack Russell and a hurl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭021CRETE01

Hi Enda17,
    I bought a WH HW97KT Synthetic 18ft/lb from Paddy Carley Enniscorthy Co. Wexford a few months back.

Advertisement