Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official Christmas FM thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

TRS30 wrote: »
    Anyone heard ‘Baby it’s cold outside’?

Nope. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Anyone heard ‘Baby it’s cold outside’?

No - I’d say it’s off the list again this year :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

A great read up about Christmas FM

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/christmas-fm-proves-the-magic-hasn-t-worn-off-music-radio-1.4102078?mode=amp

It’s so true I love listening to the Christmas songs on live radio despite having numerous playlists on the phones to go to at anytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Loughc wrote: »
    A great read up about Christmas FM

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/christmas-fm-proves-the-magic-hasn-t-worn-off-music-radio-1.4102078?mode=amp

It’s so true I love listening to the Christmas songs on live radio despite having numerous playlists on the phones to go to at anytime.

100%

Definitely a psychological thing... It's just never the same playing a song willingly - it's always so much more special when it gets played on live radio!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

jr86 wrote: »
    100%

Definitely a psychological thing... It's just never the same playing a song willingly - it's always so much more special when it gets played on live radio!

I think it’s the element of surprise, when you listen to live radio you have no idea what song is coming next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭Heroditas

It's the chatter from the DJs as well though that adds to the enjoyment. You don't get that from a playlist.

Yeah 100% :)

The Kylie song they play regularly is an absolute belter. Never would have heard it but for Christmas FM. Amazed its not more mainstream. Thought the same about Sia's song, but I've seen that played on music channels this year

No messing around with the current female presenter!

Kylie, Mariah, Greg lake, Jonah Lewie, Pogues all basically in a row

Not a stroke of work being done :D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

One of the things I like about Christmas FM is that they often play songs that you do not hear elsewhere. There are a lot of well-known Christmas tunes that I am fed up of hearing or cannot stand - the "usual suspects". At least, Christmas FM have a much larger music library to choose from than other radio stations or those tv countdowns.

That said, I have to tune out when they do play one of those songs that I can't stand. That's okay, because it's impossible to please all the people all the time and it's for a charitable cause. Even with their ever increasing library, there are some songs you never hear on Christmas FM, for example alternative rock Christmas songs. But that's just me!

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭amor3

Thanks jude...in the desert, for the request :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

Did they play it? I'm famous!!

Jude13 wrote: »

Was it Christmas Shoes?? :)

Here are some songs that you don't hear on Christmas FM which I would like to hear:

One Christmas Catalogue by Captain Sensible
    A Merry Jingle by The Greedies (Thin Lizzy & Sex Pistols)
    December Will be Magic by Kate Bush
    I Saw Mamma Kissing Santa Claus by The Thrills
    Merry Christmas (I Don’t Want to Fight Tonight) by The Ramones
    Oh Santa by Mariah Carey
    Christmas Rap by Kurtis Blow

That's just for starters!

Was it Christmas Shoes?? :)

I don't know I can't listen at work, I was hoping someone would let me know what they played.

Here are some songs that you don't hear on Christmas FM which I would like to hear:

One Christmas Catalogue by Captain Sensible
    A Merry Jingle by The Greedies (Thin Lizzy & Sex Pistols)
    December Will be Magic by Kate Bush
    I Saw Mamma Kissing Santa Claus by The Thrills
    Merry Christmas (I Don’t Want to Fight Tonight) by The Ramones
    Oh Santa by Mariah Carey
    Christmas Rap by Kurtis Blow

That's just for starters!

Also: I'm Not Dreaming of a White Christmas by Gilbert O'Sullivan. I think they used to play that song.
    Do They Know it's Christmas by Band Aid 2. I like the original version but I like this one too and think it has been overlooked

If I think of more....

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭amor3

They did indeed, something along the lines of "hi to all on the christmas boards, from Jude, in the desert" I actually can't remember the song because I was too busy telling my mam, I KNOW HIM, said in a Will Ferrell elf kinda way :-)

I had requested baby its cold outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Lord Nelson

I had requested baby its cold outside.

Down with that sort of thing....:D

Im just going on the reason they said it wasn't played, that it wasn't requested enough so if we wanted it on the play list we just need to request it.

Im just going on the reason they said it wasn't played, that it wasn't requested enough so if we wanted it on the play list we just need to request it.

Sounds like the start of a Christmas Boards campaign :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭Heroditas

No messing around with the current female presenter!

Kylie, Mariah, Greg lake, Jonah Lewie, Pogues all basically in a row

Not a stroke of work being done :D :pac:

Ruth Scott, isn't it?

Sounds like the start of a Christmas Boards campaign :)

If it was banned may be, though not in to that sort of thing, but it ain't. They just said they didnt get enough requests for it so it was cut.

So it would be great if we could manage to get it more requests than the least requested song on the station then it would make the cut. I wonder how many requests the least requested song on the station is. It must be a few hundred for baby its cold outside not to be played.

If it was banned may be, though not in to that sort of thing, but it ain't. They just said they didnt get enough requests for it so it was cut.

So it would be great if we could manage to get it more requests than the least requested song on the station then it would make the cut. I wonder how many requests the least requested song on the station is. It must be a few hundred for baby its cold outside not to be played.

Website is blocked in work :( and I forgot my phone today so will send in a request for it later when home.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Cant be true, no way people are requesting some of the stuff on there. The frosty the snowman song with the irritating kid and the exaggerated-accent narrator, for instance.

Cant be true, no way people are requesting some of the stuff on there. The frosty the snowman song with the irritating kid and the exaggerated-accent narrator, for instance.

Exactly, or the non-original versions of Slade, Wizzard, Stop the Cavalry etc.

Everyone will obviously text in for the original each time

Heroditas wrote: »
    Ruth Scott, isn't it?

It was indeed! She was very good yesterday!

Hey, I love that frosty one.

Heroditas wrote: »
    Ruth Scott, isn't it?

Ruth is also a presenter on Radio Nova and a former 2FM presenter. I heard Mike Maloney last weekend on Christmas FM. He is also a former presenter on Radio Nova and, many years before that, 2FM. Mike has been involved with Christmas FM for a number of years now.

Its been very obscure songs the last hour or two, so I'm guessing someone (maybe Ruth again?) will be coming on around 1 to start dishing out the bangers again :D :pac:

• Advertisement

Its been very obscure songs the last hour or two, so I'm guessing someone (maybe Ruth again?) will be coming on around 1 to start dishing out the bangers again :D :pac:

I want to hear more less played tunes instead of the ones I hear hundreds of times everywhere.

Advertisement