Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Moto G from Tesco for £129.99

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,499 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Over the second gen model? If you want a bigger screen, better camera, or 4G isn't useful to you.

Thanks for that.

I guess 4G plus the cheaper price would outweigh the bigger screen and better camera for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Was posted in the previous page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

Got the Moto G (second Gen) from handtec, worked out cheaper than Amazon. Not bothered about 4G but wanted a dual sim phone. Its a great phone and in my view great value for money. Easily as good as phones twice the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Aye. When that Tesco deal kicks in on Monday, it will be £99 + £2 unlocking = £101 --> €135 + €3.95 Parcel Motel = great phone for under €140.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Will this be live from Mid night tonight, does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Probably sold out 5 mins after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Worth buying for that price do you think? I'm after a new phone. Much issues reported with this model?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭Soarer

Still looking for the 2nd gen at a decent price, if anyone comes across it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

In Argos atm for €189.95 with a €20 voucher back (until 3 February only) — so €169.95, kind of.

Edit: sorry, just saw it's out of stock everywhere...

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Tesco direct have just dropped the price to £99

Bought a 4G Black for £99 just now. My phone is cracked and dying slowly but surely.
    Hope it arrives in good condition! Does the warranty apply for Ireland too?

Sam Mac wrote: »
    Bought a 4G Black for £99 just now. My phone is cracked and dying slowly but surely.
    Hope it arrives in good condition! Does the warranty apply for Ireland too?

Regarding the warranty, if you're unfortunate enough to have an issue with it you'll have to return the phone to them in the UK, Tesco Ireland won't do anything for you I'm afraid.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Regarding the warranty, if you're unfortunate enough to have an issue with it you'll have to return the phone to them in the UK, Tesco Ireland won't do anything for you I'm afraid.

But I can just go straight to Motorola here surely?

Have there been many issues with this phone reported by other users? I know the 5'' variant got a lot of complaints with panel issues.

Sam Mac wrote: »
    But I can just go straight to Motorola here surely?

Have there been many issues with this phone reported by other users? I know the 5'' variant got a lot of complaints with panel issues.

I assume you probably could alright, I bought a first gen from Amazon before Christmas, had an issue with the phone dialling numbers by itself, I spoke to Motorola about it and they confirmed it was a known issue affecting some handsets and advised me to send it to fonefix in Dublin and they'd take a look at it. As the phone was only a week old, I deci to return it to Amazon and got a full refund instead, I then purchased a gen2 version from Tesco direct and so far that's been perfect. It was a Christmas present for my Mam. She's delighted with this handset. I paid £105 from Tesco a month ago for it, so this price of £99 is a great price.

• Advertisement

I assume you probably could alright, I bought a first gen from Amazon before Christmas, had an issue with the phone dialling numbers by itself, I spoke to Motorola about it and they confirmed it was a known issue affecting some handsets and advised me to send it to fonefix in Dublin and they'd take a look at it. As the phone was only a week old, I deci to return it to Amazon and got a full refund instead, I then purchased a gen2 version from Tesco direct and so far that's been perfect. It was a Christmas present for my Mam. She's delighted with this handset. I paid £105 from Tesco a month ago for it, so this price of £99 is a great price.

Excellent. Good to have that option rather than jumping through hoops sending it back to Tesco UK. Looking forward to receiving it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

How much are unlock codes

How much are unlock codes

Around the €2 mark.

Just signing up with Tesco Direct now, they want a UK mobile, what did people put in?

Are there still 10pound vouchers around or was that a once-off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

i put in PM. got me through it.

Don't see any 10 off on hotukdeals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭deisediva

Whats the difference in the 2 argos ones for 189 ? I have the first Moto G and its on last legs well battery is so need new phone. Have one reserved in Argos but not sure which one is best to go for
    This is one I have reserved
    http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&productId=639164

bigger screen, better camera, dual sim, 3G (not 4G) battery life slight less (due to bigger screen same size battery).

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭ALiasEX

I've heard of phones locking to the network of the inserted sim. Will the Moto G 5 from Argos stay unlocked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

ALiasEX wrote: »
    I've heard of phones locking to the network of the inserted sim. Will the Moto G 5 from Argos stay unlocked?

Yeah if its sold as sim free it will stay unlocked, networks sometimes flash a different firmware that'll lock to the first sim inserted but that won't happen with sim free

I have the 1st Moto replacing due to battery not lasting and sound on calls hit and miss very crackly need to hang up and dial again.

Have both the newer ones reserved in Argos both now 189. Which one is best to go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

deisediva wrote: »
    I have the 1st Moto replacing due to battery not lasting and sound on calls hit and miss very crackly need to hang up and dial again.

Have both the newer ones reserved in Argos both now 189. Which one is best to go for?

doesnt look too big a job for those changing phone because of reduced battery life. i will prob do it myself in the long run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv5C0axnGIw

Is it okay to put the PMID in the same address box as the Company Name on the Tesco Direct Delivery field?

e.g. PMXXXX, Parcel Motel

If I give it its own field and move everything down one then I'd end up with fields being out of sync with info.

Just ordered anyway. Won't get it til this time enxt week in all liklihood but looking forward to trying it.

Ordered Monday Morning. Arrived in Parcel Motel Terenure this evening.

Great bargain. Downgrade from my Nexus 5 but a perfect piece to tie me over.

Ordered Monday Morning. Arrived in Parcel Motel Terenure this evening.

Great bargain. Downgrade from my Nexus 5 but a perfect piece to tie me over.

Get it unlocked yet?

This is the guy I used on eBay to get the moto g I bought from Tesco unlocked a couple of weeks ago, code was emailed to me within an hour

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=151207502909

• Advertisement

This is the guy I used on eBay to get the moto g I bought from Tesco unlocked a couple of weeks ago, code was emailed to me within an hour

Thanks. Was rereading the thread last night and saw some ppl had trouble finding ebay sellers with the 4g codes.

noodler wrote: »
    Thanks. Was rereading the thread last night and saw some ppl had trouble finding ebay sellers with the 4g codes.

Another aside here.

I use an old meteor sim, will I need a new 4g one (micro?) In order to use the moto g?

Picked up the Moto G 4G from my local Parcel Motel today. Happy so far. Anyone else notice the M logo on the back cover isn't right in the middle of the circle? - strange!

M Logo is in the centre on my device!

Got an unlock code handy on Ebay. £1.99 and back within an hour or two.

Still think this is an excellent bargain. (albeit i only have the phone a few days)

Haven't missed my Nexus 5 at all tbh. Perhaps the return to KitKat helps this.
    Confirms my thoughts that KitKat > lollipop bar a small few features.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭tiegan

@Silver-Tiger - did you get the £99 MotoG 4G from Tesco? Was thinking about it, but live in rural Tipp and reckon by the time we get 4G here my phone might be obsolete. But seriously tempted all the same looks to be great value!! Have you 4G where you are??

tiegan wrote: »
    @Silver-Tiger - did you get the £99 MotoG 4G from Tesco? Was thinking about it, but live in rural Tipp and reckon by the time we get 4G here my phone might be obsolete. But seriously tempted all the same looks to be great value!! Have you 4G where you are??

Ye, Dublin City Centre so 4G working perfectly.
    €140 all in including Unlock and Parcel Motel.

Been two or three hours. Still no word back with a code from these guys!

Been two or three hours. Still no word back with a code from these guys!

Oh, they did tell me that code could take up to 24hrs but they were back to be within the hour. Obviously I only used them the once and it was also 9am in the morning when I made contact with them, if that makes any difference.

Oh, they did tell me that code could take up to 24hrs but they were back to be within the hour. Obviously I only used them the once and it was also 9am in the morning when I made contact with them, if that makes any difference.

I'm not fretting for my €2 or anything, just have no phone til it's unlocked. (meteor gave me a new microsim but it meant deactivating my plan sim).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

Ye, Dublin City Centre so 4G working perfectly.
    €140 all in including Unlock and Parcel Motel.

Is the £99 phone the 2nd generation phone?

Got mine yesterday. Unlocked today.

Fairly delighted with it - just want buy a 32gb card and a case now (if anyone can recommend any).

Its so much quicker than any phone I have ever had (although - I have had crap budget phones to date mostly).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭NATLOR

padair wrote: »
    Is the £99 phone the 2nd generation phone?

No its the 1st gen with 4g and a micro sd slot added but only comes with 8g internal storage.2nd gen has bigger screen and better camera but no 4g AFAIK

NATLOR wrote: »
    No its the 1st gen with 4g and a micro sd slot added but only comes with 8g internal storage.2nd gen has bigger screen and better camera but no 4g AFAIK

Correct. 2nd Gen is a 3G phone, no 4G. There is a re-release version with 4G coming soon enough though.

See this in Argos is it a new version again anyone know ? Order in for collection not available yet.

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&productId=755584

deisediva wrote: »
    See this in Argos is it a new version again anyone know ? Order in for collection not available yet.

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&productId=755584

It is the 3G 5'' 2nd Gen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

Got mine yesterday. Unlocked today.

Fairly delighted with it - just want buy a 32gb card and a case now (if anyone can recommend any).

Its so much quicker than any phone I have ever had (although - I have had crap budget phones to date mostly).
    just be careful that the case allows you to recharge the phone while in the case. I got a fold down case and i have to remove phone to charge it.. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

just be careful that the case allows you to recharge the phone while in the case. I got a fold down case and i have to remove phone to charge it.. :(

Watch out for the headphone socket as well as the Moto G has a center placed one and if you get a vertical flipping cover make sure to get one with an offset clasp that doesn't block the headphone socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

Is the Sim Free Motorola Moto G for €189.95 at Argos good value? This price seems at least comparable to the previous £129.99 locked to Tesco which is at least €175 plus PM and unlocking, but is this phone worth €190 when there are plenty of other Android smart phones for half the price?

It was previously at 165 ish on Argos.

Value for money yes.

Worth it depends on your requirements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

SeamusFX wrote: »
    Is the Sim Free Motorola Moto G for €189.95 at Argos good value? This price seems at least comparable to the previous £129.99 locked to Tesco which is at least €175 plus PM and unlocking, but is this phone worth €190 when there are plenty of other Android smart phones for half the price?

They've also got half the performance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement