Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NyTablet 8 Windows 8.1 €99.99

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

SteM wrote: »
    Take a look at the kodi skin designed for touchscreens. Makes it easier to navigate imo.

Thanks SteM, that makes it a whole lot easier. I don't suppose you managed to get Showbox on it, all the download links I've seen for it seem a bit iffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

That case is about 25% of what I paid for it! Got a generic case on ebay, 4 pounds

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭SteM

I thought the only way to get showbox working on it was through an android emulator? Didn't think there was a native Windows app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭crasy dash

TheDriver wrote: »
    That case is about 25% of what I paid for it! Got a generic case on ebay, 4 pounds

Any link to your case cherers:)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭VeryRapidSkoda

I got one of these and fairly happy with it, however, this has wireless N yet it can't seem to pick up the 5ghz signal. only ever getting Max of 25mb on a 240mb broadband 2.4ghz. Phone laptop etc all great on the WiFi but not this. Does anyone else have this problem?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I got one of these and fairly happy with it, however, this has wireless N yet it can't seem to pick up the 5ghz signal. only ever getting Max of 25mb on a 240mb broadband 2.4ghz. Phone laptop etc all great on the WiFi but not this. Does anyone else have this problem?

Its only single band- according to the specs.
    Is the wifi integrated does anyone know- or is it the likes of a mini-pci card that can be changed for another one?
    Hopefully its the latter- I'm a big fan of using the 5Ghz band- 2.4Ghz is remarkably over-crowded where I live.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

SteM wrote: »
    I thought the only way to get showbox working on it was through an android emulator? Didn't think there was a native Windows app.
    You could be right. As I said, I've seen a few links for Windows but they all looked a bit iffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Just playing with mine - some issues I came across:

Any idea where I can find any drivers for its hardware in case I want reinstall OS? It's easy to find drivers for Linx tablets (people share it through dropbox)? Online support link point to Argos UK site?

Is it really 2 year warranty as it states in warranty leaflet? I hope argos.ie will honour it?

Lags from blutooth mouse - I try to save usb port and reactivate my old bluetooth mouse Logitech V470. Most of the time it's OK, but every few minutes it catches terrible lags and makes almost impossible to work with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭powerstation

I went into Argos last weekend to buy the MyTablet, but noticed an Acer Windows tablet with the same specs for 30 Euros more, so I bought the Acer instead. Argos started the 20 Euro voucher offer a day after I bought it... talk about timing! Nonetheless, I think the price/performance ratio for this tablet is amazing for the price I paid.

The first thing I did was uninstall McAfee & the zillion or so Acer apps, activate the 1-year Office license, and install Firefox & VLC. On a fresh start-up the RAM now averages around 510 MB, around half the installed capacity.

Browsing with Firefox + AdBlock + NoScript is fast but the interface was just not tablet friendly. When I tried Internet Explorer, I was prompted to switch to the tablet version of IE, I found it supports pinch zooming, and gesture navigation. I find switching tabs on tablet IE much easier than FF/Chrome on Android.

I played a 1080p video which rendered as 720p on the 1280x800 screen with no stutter. I then played 2 videos simultaneously on a tech review website and Youtube while browsing the news on CNN. The four CPU cores were over 60% but did not max out, the RAM was maxed out though, which meant it was using the eMMC. There was a second or so of lag when switching tabs during this test, but I was looking for possible glitches, and it did not get in the way of my browsing experience. I could scroll through the news while the videos were playing with no lag.

I found the keyboard layout was really good. Coming from an Android tablet & phone, I'm always correcting words while typing but I rarely did this on the Windows tablet.

Battery life is around 6-7 hours, with wi-fi on, constant browsing & reading.

I did not realize that the Acer has no HDMI port when buying it. So if you're looking for an HDMI port, get the Bush MyTablet instead.

The Acer does have wireless display (Wi-Di) connectivity - my TV shows up as a supported display and I can extend or mirror displays wirelessly:

- When mirroring displays, the tablet drives the TV at 1280 x 720, which I found odd as the tablet has a 1280 x 800 screen.
    - When extending displays, the tablet drives the TV at 1920 x 1080 and the tablet itself is at 1280 x 720.

One drawback of mirroring is that Windows Store apps, including the touch version of IE, don't work at the lower 720 resolution. In practical terms, this means I could not view the browser on the TV screen while using the tablet's touch screen.

Would the Bush MyTablet owners, please post if you have similar issues using Windows Store Apps on a mirrored display?

On the whole, I'm impressed with having a full Windows PC experience on this tablet and would recommend it.

Be sure to post if reality lives up to expectations, please! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

I went into Argos last weekend to buy the MyTablet, but noticed an Acer Windows tablet with the same specs for 30 Euros more, so I bought the Acer instead.

Is it this one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭bawnBeag

My OH had the Acer, the display is not good as the bush.
    The bush does not have the issue you are describing.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭powerstation

Yes, that's the one.
    Is it this one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

So the argos link shows it's gone up to €129.99. Still good value at that or look elsewhere ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭macwal

Back to 99.99

Have mine a few weeks now, liking it a lot, hard to beat for €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Kanedmick

Hi folks!

Anyone know if the screen is capacitive that will allow it to work with a stylus?
    For example, the dell active stylus?

Ta!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Kanedmick wrote: »
    Hi folks!

Anyone know if the screen is capacitive that will allow it to work with a stylus?
    For example, the dell active stylus?

Ta!

i think you are mixing up two things there. The screen is indeed capacative - as are pretty much all touch screens these days. An active stylus though requires something extra to be "active" (i.e. record input knowing it is from the stylus vs from touching the screen). This usually involves some sort of digitizer built into the screen. These entry level tablets are unlikely to have that hardware and in the absense of any mention of that feature you can assume they don't have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Kanedmick

Thanks for the speedy response!

That makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Phibsboro wrote: »
    i think you are mixing up two things there. The screen is indeed capacative - as are pretty much all touch screens these days. An active stylus though requires something extra to be "active" (i.e. record input knowing it is from the stylus vs from touching the screen). This usually involves some sort of digitizer built into the screen. These entry level tablets are unlikely to have that hardware and in the absense of any mention of that feature you can assume they don't have it.

So there is no way to make any windows-related stylus working with it? Even Surface Pen or similar (I don't mind pressure sensitivity):

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-H8-16DX-TNUN-Surface-Pen-by/dp/B00C8Q0176

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I have a crappy stylus that came free with the case I bought and it works. It's not active, there's no pressure sensitivity but if all you want is something a bit more accurate than your finger just search ebay or wherever for a universal touch-screen stylus.

zom wrote: »
    So there is no way to make any windows-related stylus working with it? Even Surface Pen or similar (I don't mind pressure sensitivity):

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-H8-16DX-TNUN-Surface-Pen-by/dp/B00C8Q0176

That one is for screens that have a Watcom digitiser buit in, so no it wouldn't work with this tablet.

• Advertisement

Adyx wrote: »
    I have a crappy stylus that came free with the case I bought and it works. It's not active, there's no pressure sensitivity but if all you want is something a bit more accurate than your finger just search ebay or wherever for a universal touch-screen stylus.

Exactly, there are loads of cheap options that are basically replacements for your finger - and they will work with any tablet screen. The idea of an active stylus is that its input is separate from the main tablet touchscreen input. This might seem like a minor enough point but in fact it really is a night and day experience from just using a finger replacement. One key advantage is palm rejection, so you rest your hand on the screen as you use the pen. Having two inputs is very handy when apps are designed for it - for example the Samsung phones that use the S pen have the ability to note/highlight via pen while the touch screen controls the underlying app as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Reserved until end of Wednesday.
    Right, is it any good? should I actually follow through on purchase?
    No clue....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Stupid question but hope someone can help.

Want to connect a USB stick to this will a USB otg one work?

Have to buy a otg one just don't want to buy it unless I'm sure it will work.

Tried a normal stick with adapter but it wasn't recognised.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Advertisement