Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NyTablet 8 Windows 8.1 €99.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭powerstation

A couple of questions for the owners:

What's your opinion of the cameras in low light?
    How does it hold up with playing 720p / full HD video? Can you post the frame rates?
    Are there two micro USB + mico HDMI as the pic in the Argos UK site?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,877 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Can this connect to an external HD?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

Quazzie wrote: »
    Surely I can install chrome on it couldn't I?

My bad
    I thought chrome didn't work on this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Gulliver

A couple of questions for the owners:

What's your opinion of the cameras in low light?
    How does it hold up with playing 720p / full HD video? Can you post the frame rates?
    Are there two micro USB + mico HDMI as the pic in the Argos UK site?
    • Rear camera is quite bad in low light - lots of artifacts. being used to Android, I haven't figured how to switch to front.
    • Haven't the foggiest. Had a quick look for a test program but gave up, sorry.
    • 1 USB, 1 HDMI.
    Another thing to note is that text entry is strange after coming from Android. Haven't tried an external drive yet as I can't find my mini USB adapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭SteM

Would love to know how kodi runs on this and if someone can confirm if sky go works too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Gulliver wrote: »
    Haven't tried an external drive yet as I can't find my mini USB adapter.

Dont you need OTG adapter?

zom wrote: »
    Dont you need OTG adapter?

Yeah, called it a mini USB in error. This one is like mine, one piece, no cable. Works on my HTC, so I imagine it should work on Windows if I can find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭bawnBeag

Yes you can install chrome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

bawnBeag wrote: »
    Guys, have been using today for the last few hours. This is an unbelievable bargain. The build quality is superb, screen is more than I expected. No issues so far, delighted with it.

any light bleed on the screen? also, the PCPro review mentions the bezels covering over the edges of the actual lit display, is this apparent on yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Quazzie wrote: »
    Can this connect to an external HD?

Only if it is self powered.

My Voya-A1 has no problems running them. But only when it is charging. It has a separate power input, which means that it can run USB and charge at same time. It also has 2 Gig ram instead of 1Gig.

In fact, it runs so well that I am using it as a replacement to my desktop PC.

I have one of these in the post for a linx tablet, in the hope that it can charge and use USB at same time. I dont think it will work, but it worth a try for the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Yeah, called it a mini USB in error. This one is like mine, one piece, no cable. Works on my HTC, so I imagine it should work on Windows if I can find it.

It might be best to get one with a cable (straight, not right angled) if you intend to use HDMI. The slots are quite close together and the size might impede the mini HDMI connector.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,114 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

T-Bird wrote: »
    I have one of these in the post for a linx tablet, in the hope that it can charge and use USB at same time. I dont think it will work, but it worth a try for the price.

tried something similar, said it was for samsung i think, on my win8.1 baytrail tablet and wouldn't charge, it seems some tablets have a sense connection and some use a resister across the data lines, might try modify the cable I got to get it to work, example for dell venue

Thanks for replying Gulliver, this is very useful info.

- Re. the video - does it play YouTube videos in HD quality smoothly?

Here's a link that will open in HD and YouTube should display a red "HD" on the gear wheel icon.
    https://www.youtube.com/embed/0SjreSnLSjM?vq=hd1080

- Can you also post how much memory is free / used when all apps like the browser are closed? To see this open the Task Manager (touch & hold task bar for a menu, choose Task Manager, choose Performance. Look for "Memory", here's an example.

Would you please post the numbers next to "Memory"? (The numbers corresponding to 3.6/12.0GB (30%) in the pic below)

13221d1356050169t-upgraded-windows-8-insane-ram-cache-geglq.png?
    • Rear camera is quite bad in low light - lots of artifacts. being used to Android, I haven't figured how to switch to front.
    • Haven't the foggiest. Had a quick look for a test program but gave up, sorry.
    • 1 USB, 1 HDMI.
    Another thing to note is that text entry is strange after coming from Android. Haven't tried an external drive yet as I can't find my mini USB adapter.

The video played fine at 720p and 1080p, considering my internet connection.

Here are some screenshots of the task manager and resource monitor. I installed Chrome and Picasa last night. I restarted before I took them to ensure there were no rogue processes left over from sleep mode. You can see that even though there is no foreground Chrome task, it is still using memory:

8qBtsd.png

8jkNjn.png

7yRPfA.png

5DrsVK.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I'd recommend IE on these tablets, Chrome is a bit of a piggy for low ram machines, and doesnt work as well in touch mode imo (at least didnt when I used it).

Memory wise, my own experience is that 1gb is pretty tight, some applications have reported memory errors, but on the whole its fine for basic stuff. One thing to keep in mind is that the tablet can page to the eMMC instead of a slow hard disk, I think this has a fairly impressive effect on performance on these machines that will be doing a lot of paging.

For charging, I have had great success with this powered usb HUB on a linx 7". It seems to return power to the source machine (!), but in the case of a tablet this is perfect.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ICZL3KG/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1422099356&sr=1&keywords=usb+hub

Thank you very much Gulliver. This is exactly the info I wanted.

There's ample RAM left for powerpoint, documents & e-reading. and for browsing the eMMC would handle any overspill with SSD-like speeds, as imitation noted.

Thanks again, I'm going to pick one up.

The video played fine at 720p and 1080p, considering my internet connection.

Here are some screenshots of the task manager and resource monitor. I installed Chrome and Picasa last night. I restarted before I took them to ensure there were no rogue processes left over from sleep mode. You can see that even though there is no foreground Chrome task, it is still using memory:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

Thanks again, I'm going to pick one up.

Be sure to post if reality lives up to expectations, please! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,877 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Great little tablet for the money. Can't fault it yet.

Can anyone recommend a case/keyboard that would work with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I have a Linx8 and it's a great tablet. The only problem is battery power. Whenever I go to pick it up after not using it for a while it's completely drained. I'm wondering will this have the same issue?! I tend to leave the linx on charge while not using it.

Does this tablet have the micro-HDMI output like the linx? Would be nice to see some boardsies' pics.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭crasy dash

I got one in limerick last night :) happy out havent had time to play with it yet.
    Screen is excellent much better than a samsung tab 3 i have.

@astrofluff It has micro hdmi and one otg usb port

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭macwal

I got one yesterday, nice and light, responds well, nice screen.

But I've seen that the casing along one of the long and short edges is slightly warped. On the long edge, the outer touch screen must be slightly detached from the main casing, as I can hear a click when gently press it in the area where the worst of the warp is. I can only see problems later down the line, dust getting in, or cracking of the outer touchscreen if it's not sitting snugly where it should be.

no issues with mine, actually picked up one for the OH and she's delighted.
    I'd bring it back, I'm sure there won't be an issue exchanging.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭pah

Have one of these reserved, I'll be killed! Thinking this will get the free windows 10 update announced recently.

Have the Bluetooth keyboard from the Pokémon DS game last year and the €5 acme wireless mouse too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I use the pokemon keyboard with my linx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

I bought one of these to replace my Android tablet and while it does what it supposed to do I find it difficult to navigate. For instance, how do you replicate the right click? I downloaded Kodi and while, when I can get it to work, it works well it's a bit of a pain to navigate through the menus. I've no doubt that this is because I'm so used to Android and I'm a bit clumsy but definitely don't find it user friendly or intuitive. Has anybody managed to put Showbox on it, if so a tutorial would be appreciated.

Touch and hold = right click

• Registered Users Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭SteM

Marhay70 wrote: »
    I bought one of these to replace my Android tablet and while it does what it supposed to do I find it difficult to navigate. For instance, how do you replicate the right click? I downloaded Kodi and while, when I can get it to work, it works well it's a bit of a pain to navigate through the menus. I've no doubt that this is because I'm so used to Android and I'm a bit clumsy but definitely don't find it user friendly or intuitive. Has anybody managed to put Showbox on it, if so a tutorial would be appreciated.

Take a look at the kodi skin designed for touchscreens. Makes it easier to navigate imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Marhay70 wrote: »
    how do you replicate the right click?

Touch your selection and keep pressed for a few seconds. Right mouse click menu opens

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Between this and the linx 8, their sizing are very similar so I'd be happy to hear if anyone gets a decent fitting cover for it?!

Mytablet: Size H215mm, W123mm, 8.6mm thin.
    Linx 8: Size H215mm, W125mm, 9mm thin

Obviously I'm interested in for a linx 8.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

astrofluff wrote: »
    Between this and the linx 8, their sizing are very similar so I'd be happy to hear if anyone gets a decent fitting cover for it?!

Mytablet: Size H215mm, W123mm, 8.6mm thin.
    Linx 8: Size H215mm, W125mm, 9mm thin

Obviously I'm interested in for a linx 8.

Had a Linx8 since Christmas and find it great.
    Bought this case/keyboard from Amazon and haven't had any issues with it so far.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00EUCMZXY/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A13NH30Z3MD8G8

Advertisement