Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cantwbr1

I think that it wasn’t a bad league campaign overall. We were competitive in most matches. What let us down was conceding crappy goals and not being ruthless enough when we had goal chances. Hopefully they learned a lot from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Blackjack

As a Mayo man I would have to agree with all of the above. I was quite stunned to see how there was no effort to push up on the kickouts and your midfield were on top in the first half, certainly. Your own kickouts were well managed in terms of the high percentage of possession ye got off it (I don't recall ye losing one of your own). I think ye were very unfortunate to go down as a draw between Dublin and Monaghan would have kept ye up, but were also a bit unlucky not to get at least a point from your games outside of Newbridge. I think your backs need work and I was quite surprised at how ye allowed our runners to come through. Case in point was Padraig O'Hora's score in the second half which he was allowed a lot of space to shoot with very little by way of challenge before that on his run. Also I think a lot of your players just ran out of steam after Mayo's second goal, so there's a bit of fitness to work on there.

On the positives - Some of your forwards are outstanding - they were putting on an exhibition of long range shooting in the first half the last day with some fantastic scores. McCormack, Woodgate and Hyland are handy forwards that would trouble any defense. Your Keeper looks to be very good on the kickouts. I don't think he could have done much on either goal to be fair to him.

Aside from that - I think Glenn Ryan showed great patience with the RTE Radio interview after the game. The line of questions were clearly asked with no thought on the context of the result. I think he was quite restrained in his responses to what were incredibly stupid questions to have been asked.

Wishing ye the best of luck in the Championship, unless ye meet ourselves of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Cheers that's a very fair assessment of it. Yeah I can't understand how we stuck with that tactic all game it clearly wasn't working I think the idea was to get everyone behind the ball and stop Mayo that way but it just didn't work and the lack of change on the line was alarming.

Yeah the long range shooting was excellent from all you've named and Daragh Kirwan as well our forwards will give anyone trouble but I'm always a pessimist and the reason our long range shooting had to be so good was that we weren't getting into the scoring zone at all whereas for many of ye're scores ye were we had to work much harder for our scores than ye did. Our backs definitely need work O Donoghue kicked a point as well where he was 4 yards in front of our man and turned easy as you like to pop it over.

The heads went a little after the second goal especially during that crucial period when ye kicked 4 unanswered points to kill it off though we were a little unlucky as we hit the post twice during that time.

Overall we learned plenty and ye were the only team to outclass us in Division one relegation is gutting but there's no reason we can't have a real go at the championship this year and it's our best chance of a Leinster in many a year. For what little its worth I've a sneaking suspicion it might be ye're year finally certainly the best team I saw in Division 1 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I was going to mention how ye hit the post twice in the second half and there was another shot one of your lads took before those I think - can't remember who - but it looked like he hurried it and it went well to the right of the posts and wide. I think they were just gassed at that stage. I was impressed with the number of Kildare fans at the game too. Some other counties could learn a thing or 2 from ye about travelling to support their teams.

I think ye are in prime position to have a right good crack at Leinster, realistically it's between yourselves and the Dubs and if by any sort of a miracle ye managed to get them to Newbridge (and for the record ye were 100% right on the insistence of playing us there in 2018) that would really give ye the advantage. I reckon it would be closer to 50/50 in Croke Park.

I'd love for your sneaking suspicion about to be right but we seem to be plagued with injuries. If we had a fully fit team I'd be more optimistic, but we appear to be dealing with a lot injuries to lads that would be first fifteen (2 O'Connors, Durcan, Hennelly) if they were available with a few either unlikely to return or are 100% out for the season (Harrison and Conroy). We do seem to have more depth in the panel this year than before and Horan to his credit has played over 30 lads this year and give a few their first games so I'll be going with hope rather than expectation.

That said - it does look like it will be a reasonably open season, but I'd still have Kerry and Tyrone as favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Anyone any idea what is going on with St.Conleths Pk at this stage? Can't see the grand plans going ahead. The basics like toilet facilities. dressing rooms and proper turnstiles would be nice.

I was never a fan of the location anyway. To hard to access for most on busy days. Really should have looked at a Greenfield site and buidling something realistic.

The immediate removal of the stupid fences from around the field would be a starter.

• Advertisement

Minors had a good win over Meath last night U"0's out tonight against Offaly straight knockout semi final Offaly are reigning AI champs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Great win over Offaly last night we play Dublin in the final next week.

We beat Dublin by two last night and play Sligo in the semi finals now a great boost for Kildare football.

A very impressive victory on Sunday some of scores kicked were brilliant Louth were poorer than I expected but we never gave them a chance to get into the game really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

i was expecting a proper battle. it was a bit of an anti climax as Louth were so poor.

• Advertisement

We made heavy weather of that U20 game Sligo were so defensive it was untrue horrible stuff to watch.

It was grim but the result is probably all that matters to be fair. Some of the shot choices and execution was shocking. Should have been out of sight with 20 mins to go. We will need a much improved performance in the final but I think this group have it in them.

Yeah I see the final is fixed on Saturday in Carrick On Shannon so the Kildare Gaa fan is being royally screwed by the Grab All Association this week an All Ireland final on Saturday and Seniors out on Sunday 60 Euro for tickets alone for people wanting to go to both outrageous!!

What were the other choices for venues though? Cavan? Don't think Navan was available. Croker on Saturday as a standalone would have been dreadful. I can't see a time slot available in croker on the Sunday either before the first game or after the last game as being suitable. It is what it is and hopefully the squad have parked it now. Tyrone are in the same boat too.

Surely they could have played it at 12 o clock on Sunday ? That's what they did in 2018 if im not mistaken?

Yeh it's always an option but I think you'd have been looking at it a little earlier maybe. It was @ 13:15 in 2018 I think. With replays really being a thing of the past now it's possible the game may have had to start @ 11:30. Very early to expect Tyrone fans to get down. With the lights in Croker though the other games could have been pushed out a little. Although a 6pm throw in on a Sunday for Dublin v Meath probably would be ideal. If the Kildare v Westmeath game went all the way to extra time and pens it would delay it even further.

I think to be fair to everyone involved this was the fairest location and time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

kildare and westmeath stream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWz8YfgfaoU

Well done to hurlers yestetday. Its rare we win all ireland titles at senior level but this group keep delivering. No reason why they cant make their mark in the McDonagh next year.

It's a big step up you're playing the likes of Carlow Laois Offaly in it but also Meath and Down were in it this year we'd have no problem competing with/beating them to stay up in it would be a massive achievement.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,062 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Didn't see the game, got a good bit of Kfm. Questionable reffing? Or did we run out of juice?

• Advertisement

I watched on telly myself a couple of dodgy calls against us including an outrageous call from 30 yards away on a pick up by Ben McCormack when the ball clearly bounced into his hands the resulting score would have put us 6 up instead mayo went up from their dodgy free and made it 4.

However with that being said Mayo were fitter and stronger than us in the last 10 minutes we ran out of juice quite badly and made subs too late IMO but we certainly died with the boots on and hopefully have learned the necessity for a proper defensive plan for next year.

It was certainly the strength and conditioning element and the goalkeeper selection which cost us at the end of the day. Feely and D.Flynn looked absolutely gassed at the 55 minute mark. Dan's decision making was dreadful during that period.

Felt for Aaron in goal. Absolutely zero sense did it make starting him for his championship debut in that game. What you want is a bit of stability. Glenn and management have to take the heat for that one. A crazy decision in my view.

Thought the ref was ok. The free again McCormack for picking up off the ground was marginal to be fair so I wouldn't be to put out by it.

Our shooting was appalling at times and missing 20 meter frees isn't good enough. We could have had Mayo put to the word with 25-30mins remaining. Should have been 8 points up with all of the missed chances. But that's the differ I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cantwbr1

Was the goalkeeper change tactical?

I don’t think it was the losing of the game but think that Donellan gives greater security/comfort

I think in managements head it was tactical. They obviously felt Arron would give them something Donnellan wouldn't. All in all I think it had a huge bearing on the result. Mayo pushed up and Aaron pumped his kickout way to long which in essence bypassed our fielders like Feely and O'Callaghan. He kicked a short one that was never on and kicked another over the line near the end. I think if the game had of gone to extra time they might have put Donnellan on. O'Neills head was fried at that stage.

Our fitness was dreadful in the last 15 minutes or so and management need to take the heat for that also.

I think both factors impacted the result. The second goal didn't matter at all. AAron came out to offer and extra body and that's what has to be done. No blame there at all.

Aaron got some horrible abuse online over the past few days over that goal, if he had of got a goal when he was down the other end he would of been a here. I feel he is destined to be number 1 keeper in the county but Glenn has to give him game time. Glenn should have had mastrson in the half forward line to fetch aarons long kickouts and counteract the press. Really worry how tactically naive the management team are

Thats dreadful. Didnt see any of that myself now. I know he got criticism but thats different than abuse. He'll come back stronger anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

27 years without missing a championship match is some record:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

well done today , the win kildare badly needed , regardless how ugly it was , daniel , neil flynn and kevin fealy are top class first time all 3 played this year today

johnny doyle doing a serious job on the line , ben mccormack and young robbinson need to improve though

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,062 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Great result today. Started off on fire, so much so 2 quick black cards. Great point at the death to sneak the win. Will we get Mayo I wonder.

Was funny trying to lip read the exchanges between Davey Burke and the Kildare lads on the line. I'd say they would have filled a swear jar several times.

• Advertisement

Robinson didnt even play.... Ben was prob one of Kildares best players yday

Advertisement