Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Linx 8" Wifi 32GB Tablet €129.99

Options
  • 22-12-2014 4:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

http://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/Product/windows-linx-8-wifi-32gb-tablet/239174/328.0

Includes delivery.

Main Features:
    Intel quad-core Baytrail-T processor
    Windows© 8.1
    8" IPS (800 x 1280) TFT LCD Display
    2MP Front and 2MP Back Cameras
    HDMI Output
    32GB Internal Storage
    Expandable Memory via Micro SD©
    4,000 mAh Battery, 5 - 7 Hours Use
    Bluetooth Connectivity
    Wi-Fi Connectivity
    12-month Office 365 Personal Subscription

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Always been intrigued by these ultra low cost but full blown Windows tablets.

Anyone got much experience with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,085 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Is this a full windows tho, or a version of the software ya get on the windows phone?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭g0g

Is this a full windows tho, or a version of the software ya get on the windows phone?
    Full!
    Anyone got much experience with them?
    I actually bought the Linx7 a couple of weeks ago from a link on HUKD. They were selling 7-inch version incl one year Office 365, full Windows 8.1 etc for £59.99 delivered (plus parcel motel). Am impressed with it so far - handy for browsing and Netflix etc run fine on it. Have to confess I haven't thrown anything hugely challenging at it yet but runs all the normal stuff fine. Battery life, WiFi etc all performing well. My only gripe would be that with only 7" it can be tricky hitting the right favourites link etc when you're browsing.

For these sort of prices you just can't go wrong!

Actually one other annoying complaint I didn't know about. I logged in with same account as my laptop which set me up with the same desktop. I then tailored the tablet desktop around a bit to make some tiles smaller and remove a few, only to realise after that this then synced back to the desktop!!! (probably should have foreseen this!)

As for the price of this one, I think it's been better in recent weeks for the 8" one and surely will be better in the sales? Just the other day I think on HUKD there was an incredible price going for the 10" version too? Check here for latest deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Got this last week for 105 euro on lightening deal on amazon and it seems to come up frequently on deal. Currently on way to me......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,063 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Don't have the linx but do have another brand of tablet with similar hardware
    32gb ssd, 2gb ram, baytrail atom, win 8.1
    Does the linx have 1gb or 2gb of ram?
    Find if fast enough, haven't had much problem with running windows software on it, even virtual box ran android okay... to browse web, gmail (maybe not play games)
    OS takes up a fair amount of disk space
    Plays all sorts of media well, screen is nice size
    Only one usb port for either charging or to use for usb host
    Battery life doesn't feel great, doesn't seem to manage itself great in standby, charging a bit slow, power management on ipad or android probably a lot better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

You can get a linx 8 for about 90 quid on ebay I think, I got the 7" for about 80, with parcel motel shipping. They are a grand little tablet, they will defintely mop the floor with the competition performance wise. 1gb of ram is a bit of a bottleneck, but apart from the odd litte freeze it seems ok.

I would give them a thumbs up, there is the usual cavets with win 8 tablets though, very poor selection of apps and games. The web browser is fantastic though, very smooth and you can use flash/silverlight/java stuff that other tablets can struggle with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

I have one I bought on Amazon for 103.00 Euro

Bought as a gift for a trip only for the other half to appear with an Ipad mini

I can send it back to amazon - or if useful to any one before Xmas ( as in getting in time for a gift - I can pass on - in Kilkenny though

Un used - not even turned on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

sorry - I did not mean to hijack a thread with a "For Sale" - I already opened a refund with Amazon - just given the season we are in IF useful to any one

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sakimotosan

I recently got the Linx 7 as part of Meteor's 'phone & tablet for 149' deal.
    I am very impressed with it for the price; having used cheaper Android tabs before this was a lot nicer to use.
    Having full Windows 8.1 is a big bonus too as I am able to install what I like; it is running Age of Empires 2 quite nicely.
    The 1GB of ram is a bottleneck when you need to load larger apps or work with large files (unraring a 2GB archive took almost 20 minutes).
    Considering I paid about 70 for this I am extremely happy; saying that about 80% of the time has been spent playing the Microsoft Solitaire Suite. It is very handy being able to remote into my main PC and it does a great job of streaming stuff off of my NAS device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭T-Bird

I got one for college in the summer. The touchscreens are not the best (on the cheap ones at least), but I am using it with small keyboard and wallet case. It’s perfect for me as I use OneDrive and synch all my work on it, so I can access it at home.

Believe it or not but I am now starting to use it more and more at home. I got mini HDMI adapter and have it connected to my 24 inch screen, a multiport USB stick, running my keyboard, mouse, printer, 500 GB portable drive. The Wi-Fi was a bit slow so I just installed an Ethernet-USB converter and works perfectly (obviously needs to have charger on as it is big drain on battery).

It runs perfectly when using it for internet browsing, Netflix, office work and listening to music etc. It’s very fast to boot and has no noticeable lag. For me, one of the major advantages is that it is completely silent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭ozmo

I don't have this model but another similar.

One thing to look out for is if you can charge this one while having a usb hub attached(for keyboard/mouse use). Ours couldn't which means you can only use it for a couple hours with keyboard attached before having charge it again.

Apart from that its a quite capable device - kids even play minecraft on it reasonably smoothly. I dont like Win 8.1 on a desktop but on this device it makes sense.

There is a usb hub modification that can be done to fix the charging issue- I keep meaning to getting round to doing it.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Went into power city to buy one of these today and the guy tells me theres no HDMI connection, is he right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Went into power city to buy one of these today and the guy tells me theres no HDMI connection, is he right?

Edit: It seems that model does not.... Linx and Voyo were only 2 that did.

This one does and still on offer for another 12 hours. They must have had 000s of them. Its a 7 inch but if your using HDMI it might not matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Gamestop are selling the 7in version of this tablet for €66.99 (€50 + €16.99 level 3 member ship fee). If you already have a level 3 card, the tablet is only €50

They seem to have plenty in stock in their Henry Street store at least

I have bought 2 so far and have been very impressed with the tablets. The spec is actually very impressive and Windows 8.1 flies on these things. They are perfect for media consumption (Netflix) and for web browsing. I am actually planning to use one as a media player in the living room and am going to connect it using the micro-HDMI connection (they are very expandable with micro-USB (inc. full size adaptor in box), micro-SD and micro-HDMI)

I have used a number of Android tablets over the years and these beat most of them hands down in terms of raw performance and value for money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Picked up an 8-inch for £80 on an Amazon lightning deal today. Can't wait to check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

jahalpin wrote: »
    Gamestop are selling the 7in version of this tablet for €66.99 (€50 + €16.99 level 3 member ship fee). If you already have a level 3 card, the tablet is only €50

They seem to have plenty in stock in their Henry Street store at least

I have bought 2 so far and have been very impressed with the tablets. The spec is actually very impressive and Windows 8.1 flies on these things. They are perfect for media consumption (Netflix) and for web browsing. I am actually planning to use one as a media player in the living room and am going to connect it using the micro-HDMI connection (they are very expandable with micro-USB (inc. full size adaptor in box), micro-SD and micro-HDMI)

I have used a number of Android tablets over the years and these beat most of them hands down in terms of raw performance and value for money

Just wondering if anyone has seen them in any other store, can't seem to see them on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Can this run xbmc and can you use Chromecast with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

There's a mini HDMI port on it

• Registered Users Posts: 30,063 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Can this run xbmc and can you use Chromecast with it?

Both worked fine for me

Sound over hdmi I couldn't get working for some reason

• Advertisement

Chris___ wrote: »
    There's a mini HDMI port on it

Someone posted earlier saying there wasnt :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

There is a HDMI output port on it.

jimmynokia wrote: »
    There is a HDMI output port on it.

Arghhh ill head up to power city again and ask to see it without clamps blocking everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

99 euro today in Carphone warehouse at Clearys o Connell st. Just picked one up, hdmi is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

just been using it there, more impressed again. Also got it working as a widi with the TV, very impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Got the 10inch version of the Linx - very impressed with the performance - only down side is that it doesn't support USB charging.

Nate

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Waste of money on these tablet, unresponsive screens, buggy software, viruses, just go the extra few euro and buy an iPad.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Stinicker wrote: »
    Waste of money on these tablet, unresponsive screens, buggy software, viruses, just go the extra few euro and buy an iPad.

lal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Stinicker wrote: »

Extra few hundred yeah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Extra few hundred yeah

€99 Carphone warehouse great deal. My sis had an iPad there not all there cracked up to be. Very slow as they get older. Plus restricted to all apple products .

Advertisement