Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chance of a lifetime "King's Ametyst"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

Finished replacing the couple of planks on the starboard side
    Scarffed in the joints; while it’s not a perfect job:cool: it’s the best I could do
    I will leave the caulking until I am finished with the inside

Evening all
    I am still tipping away
    Replacing the planks’’ is a slow and tedious job’ I am lucky to get one board, fitted a day.
    Depending on the weather; I am almost halfway there
    I had to get an other 300 bronze screws; they seem to disappear into the boat
    Even though’ I drill a pilot hole’ wax the screw’ there are still a few heads’ that spin off
    In this case; I drill a lager bung hole’ just a few mills deep’ put another screw’ fitted with an old copper rove; alongside it, rather than trying to get the broken screw out
    Reclaim’ Reuse’ and recycle, has always been my motto, putting this into practice’ I try and reuse the old copper roves’ and nails as much as I can’ old mantelpiece; new king’s amethyst stringer.

Evening all
    I am still tipping away
    There are twenty planks; on each side of the boat
    On the starboard side; I am repairing at least eighteen of them
    Some’ I only have to replace about a metre’ others at least five or six meters
    There’s a lot of work involved in replacing each plank
    Trying to match the bevel’ the way the plank cups; the way it rises from the stern to the bow
    Slowly but surely I am getting there

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

copper12, i really admire your dedication to this project. To be still 'tipping' away (outside) at her, after the winter we've had, and not to loose the desire to get her completed is something i've admired about this thread.

Hopefully now you'll get better weather and can finish the planking soon at least.

good job so far..

Evening all
    I have attached a few photos’ rather than go into to much detail’ I will leave the photos’ tell the tail
    I have changed from using the callipers’ to using strips of ply wood
    I am making much better use of the planks
    The scarf joint’ you will see the nail hole’ before and after’ I will give another post on this later
    Almost to the top now; the last board’ I will have to leave until I replace the 2 4x2 pine on the inside

• Advertisement

Evening all
    Made the most of the good weather this weekend
    I have gone as far as I can go’ replacing the planks; on the port side
    The last plank’ this is about six to eight inches wide’ and has a lot of hardware bolted true it’ from the inside; the section around the mast step’ every rib is bolted true’ bolt goes true plank’ rib’ then filler piece’ then true two 3x2 pine; one that runs the whole length of the boat; the other runs; about five ribs either side of the mast step;
    The top plank will have to be replaced the whole length of the port side
    This is where the fun starts’ in order to do this, I have to repair the bow section
    It didn’t look to bad until I went at it; turns out, the is a lot of rot there;
    I have to replace bolts; and brackets’ in this section anyway’ it turns out that this section is made up of mahogany and oak planks laminated together.
    I was due a bit of luck it should not be to difficult to repair :D
    The pictures tell the story

a few more

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

She is really starting to come together, fair play to you for not giving up on her it will all be worth it in the end when your heading of into the sunset.

303023.JPG

Evening all
    I have been working on the bow section the last couple of days I have to get this sorted before I can work on the rest of the boat
    It is made up of laminated pieces of oak and mahogany reaching a thickness of six inches
    You can from some of the photos how it made up I have begun to remove the rotted sections o will laminate new wood onto this
    I had hoped to save the decking but alas this will not be the case although I was able to remove half a dozen strips by the time I had then cleaned up I was only left with about 9mm so it would not be worth the effort so I get some teak planks and rip a new deck
    The pictures will tell the story

a few more

• Advertisement

two more

I have almost repaired the bow section
    The starboard side was in good condition, so I wont be replacing the amount of planks,
    that I have to on the port side; put in teak pieces’ glued with reconcile’ and bolted’
    it turned out ok’ there was a lot of intricate cuts and bevels here
    Anyway the pictures will tell the story
    Any comments welcome; any advise more than welcome

still tipping away

one or two more
    anyone know where I can get the rest of the fittings for a mast
    the roller boom is all that is left of the original mast
    what kind of fitting does the gooseneck attach to

Evening all
    With the fine weather and the long evenings; I’m tipping away
    Only one or two more repairs to the hull; then I will start on the deck
    But for this weekend I’m off fishing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Thanks for the updates and photos, great to see the progress. Like many (I guess, judging by the ‘view count’) we are watching the thread with interest rather than posting. I know almost nothing about wooden boat construction, but did notice that in photo111 the planks are being scarfed – great to see the dedication to that type of precision!
    For the weekend, tight lines!

evening all
    finished fixing that hole I made :p
    Almost finished the port side; maybe a little bit around the transom; might need some attention but I will leave that until I remove the transom
    I will then start on the starboard’ only half a dozen boards there to replace
    I will post more photo in the next couple of days

Finished the port side starting on the starboard side
    I thought I would give a brief description; on how I remove planks
    After my initial survey’ to decide where I will make the cuts
    This is determined by the amount of rot; and the distance between the new joints
    I try and keep one or two ribs between joints
    First I remove the bungs on the outside
    Then I remove the nipple off the rove; I have tried all sorts of tools; grinders’ only melt the copper’ making it harder to remove the rove. I have found’ that a hack saw blade’ halved and fitted to a saw from Ldli’ or Aldi’ I cant remember where I bought it’ one of them anyway’ dose the job nicely
    The attached photos tell the story

:P

• Advertisement

http://falmouthquaypunt.blogspot.ie/

well done to the lads
    Jealous
    Could be me next year
    :cool:

Hi lads ladies
    Just thought I would post a few photos
    Finished the planking bar the transom
    Started working on the decking

I will post a few pictures of what I have done so far ASAP
    There seems to be a problem’ getting good quality marine plywood
    I have heard a lot of bad comments lately about the quality
    Seems the ply in stock at most places’ is sourced from china’ and not the best
    Originally there was 5mm ply used in her construction. how ever I intend to use 9 or 12mm
    Different technique fitting teak decks; now days’ original she had 14mm teak strips’ I intend to use 10mm
    So the plan is; marine ply’ epoxy fibreglass cloth over. then glued teak strips

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

These do good marine ply but it's not cheep :eek: http://www.wallerwickham.ie/csd/ if your going to be encapsulating it you should get away with using the cheeper stuff as long as you don't have to bend it too much as the voids in the cheeper ply can cause it to fracture.

thanks fregal
    it stopped raining for five minuets
    :)

Evening all
    Well I’ve started on the decking; I have removed about half’ down as far as the engine bay
    I have the ply’ and the fibreglass’ ready; I have given the ply’ half a dozen coats of varnish
    Better to do it now, than trying to do it upside down later on
    I will have to replace almost half of the rafters’ I’m sure there a another name for them
    Like for like oak; I’m using the old stuff as them plates; it should make things a bit easer
    Here a few photos

one or two more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

copper12 wrote: »
    ....I will have to replace almost half of the rafters’ I’m sure there a another name for them
    Like for like oak; I’m using the old stuff as them plates; it should make things a bit easer

I think they are called purlins... but I've also heard them referred to as deck beams? (Fergal will know! :D ) I do know that the central deck 'plank' from stem to mast is called the king plank and it is 'stepped' to take deck planks in ones and twos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

copper12 wrote: »
    Evening all
    I haven’t posted in a while
    I have been busy however
    I replaced most of the metal stringers; and scarf fed in, oak pieces’ awkward trying to line up the stringer; rib; and the outside hole .
    Two people’ it would have been simple; on my own thing’s go out of line’ and I have to go in and out of the boat’ several times per stringer
    Replaced all the bolts’ with galvanised bolts’ coated them in ‘bitumen tar, before inserting them
    Took some templates’ of two of the ribs that I need to replace’ these were positioned under the mast step’ and were rotted true’ I tried to bend 2”teak; and 1”teak; even though I steeped them in water, at 50’C to 60’C for a couple of days; by the time I had them bent; and clamped; they had cooled
    the 2”inch started to crack; the inch’ held but there was to much spring back’ to get it to fit the profile’ so I opted for laminating ½” instead; this was much easer to bend and gave me all the time I needed..
    These were done cold’ glued with reconcile’ and clamped; very little spring back’ so I think it will work’ if I do two opposite ribs’ together’ I can brace them against each other
    I would have posed more pictures but I dropped the camera down the bilge hole so I lost them all

My first time seeing this thread - if I may say, it looks like you don't need much advice on how to renovate the boat! A handsome boat and nice work!

I'm too lazy to read the whole thread - what timber are the planks? Some years ago, I worked on a beautifully-built but neglected carvel mahogany on oak Folkboat. I have a soft spot for varnished mahogany and, luckily, when stripped, there was no sign of the old paint so she could be varnished. When varnished and dressed in her brassware, she was magnificent.

Has your paint primer eaten deep into the timber or could you consider varnish? Or "farnish" as it's known in these parts!

• Advertisement

Benzene how’s it going
    She’s mahogany 22mm planks’ oak ribs; and teak decking
    I am trying to replace like with like; so far I haven’t been doing to bad
    I’m basically trying to copy’ what I take out, and putting it back the same way
    Like you’ I think it would be a shame’ to cover all that beautiful wood’ with paint
    So above the water line; varnish’ and more varnish’ if possible
    The old wood’ looks good enough the clean up. and varnish time will tell
    As for the brassware; I hope that when I’m finished’ my main tools, will be a pair of old tights’ and some brasso :D

Advertisement