Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chance of a lifetime "King's Ametyst"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭kfod

It's pobably a dyna-starter fergal. The older volvo MD1B and MD2 has them. I think I have a pdf of the service manual for the MD engines here somewhere I'll have a look and let you know copper12

I have that pdf alright, its the workshop manual for MD1B-MD2B-MD3B engines, pm me and I'll send you on a copy if you want.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

copper12 wrote: »
    fergal that link I got them last week thanks for the tip

A bit more teak here if you need some http://www.donedeal.ie/boatextras-for-sale/teak-timber/5791340

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

Hi lads

I am still working on the engine

Almost finished now; putting it back together

I have taken off the exhaust manifold; this is water cooled’ and was almost completely blocked.

Cleaned and serviced’ the fuel injectors’ oil pump’ water pump’ thermostat’ starter generator’ and anything else; that I could remove .I took off the crank case cover’ to see if everything looked ok; and found a part of the governor’ in the sump’ it is in the right hand side of one of the pictures’ I removed the cover’ from under the fuel pump’ expecting to find it in pieces; however the governor’ was intact must have broken off a number of years ago’’ and was replaced with a new one. while putting back the engine I noticed that the mount’s had made groves into the timber supports so I placed some of the finest Sheffield stainless steel washers as support’s so maybe this week I might try and see if it will start just encase I have to remove or lift it again I put a piece of box iron across the deck to allow me to use a jack’ to lift the engine worked out quite well

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tinski07

Hi, I'm Kfods friend Adrian thats restoring Teal, I'm now angry because I just wrote all this and it disappeared. Its looks like you are
    getting well stuck in anyway. I was just reading about your engine troubles.
    I've had a few of those and your probably not going to like much of this.
    The Dynastarts and manifolds are there downfall. The dynastarts are replaceable but at a cost, around 250 sterling. The regulators
    can be replaced with a standard agri unit and a separate solenoid for starting, They are 50 euro odd in Cronins Commercial but they
    are easy to F**k up, I think I was needing a 3rd one when I gave up on the MD2, The manifolds are a bigger issue, the ports are too small and they block and heat the aft cylinder, If you can unblock it well done but its probably been building that ****e up since the early 1960's, Replacements aren't available and any engines being sold for parts is because the manifolds are blocked.
    The RB gearbox is also bit of a dog, They share the engine oil so if yours was crap that is through the gearbox as well. They are sticky at the best of times and don't work well on remotes, The later MD2B's have MS boxes which are much better as are the later manifolds, they also have starters and alternators.
    I bought an MD11d to replace the MD2, it had been idle for years but clean and dry, I serviced it, ran it, fitted it and headed out only
    to lose oil pressure. The Bearing shells had rusted and almost destroyed the crank shaft. Main and big end bearings cost me 300 sterling, a 100 sterling for Gaskets and 70euro to grind the maximum off the crank. It hurt.
    The parts are out there but they are expensive. Bent push rods are almost a sure sign it water locked. I would advice you to break the engine down and take a serious look at it before making a decision on it.
    They are expensive to fix and cheap to buy.
    Sorry for a very depressing introduction but it might save you time and money.
    Adrian

Initially there was no movement from the dynostarter’ however after striping it down and cleaning I’t’ greasing the bearings’ it seemed to work ok’ granted this was on the work bench how it operates under load is an other matter

You are right about the manifold’ there were a couple of ports completely block I had to drill them out

The plan is to run fernox true the system once it is put back together then flush it out

I should know in the next few days or so how things will work out

Thanks for the info

• Advertisement

Your welcome,
    Two other bits of info. Kfods MD1 dynastart worked for a few seasons with very slack belts, As soon as we got sick of the
    slipping and tightened the belts it destroyed the bearings,
    The other thing is to unbolt the strainer, the large nut around the dipstick if you haven't already and make sure its clean
    and if you take a gauge off a compressor it will fit in the oil light sender hole and tell you your oil pressure nice and easily.
    Good luck with it.

I have removed all the metal stringers straps treated and repainted them I have also got the oak ribs so I will start and replace the broken ribs next
    I haven't managed to start the engine yet but I am getting close :D20 and 65mm plugs.jpg

30mmplugs.jpg

65mm plug.jpg

oak ribs.jpg

stringers 1.jpg

Evening all
    I haven’t posted in a while
    I have been busy however
    I replaced most of the metal stringers; and scarf fed in, oak pieces’ awkward trying to line up the stringer; rib; and the outside hole .
    Two people’ it would have been simple; on my own thing’s go out of line’ and I have to go in and out of the boat’ several times per stringer
    Replaced all the bolts’ with galvanised bolts’ coated them in ‘bitumen tar, before inserting them
    Took some templates’ of two of the ribs that I need to replace’ these were positioned under the mast step’ and were rotted true’ I tried to bend 2”teak; and 1”teak; even though I steeped them in water, at 50’C to 60’C for a couple of days; by the time I had them bent; and clamped; they had cooled
    the 2”inch started to crack; the inch’ held but there was to much spring back’ to get it to fit the profile’ so I opted for laminating ½” instead; this was much easer to bend and gave me all the time I needed..
    These were done cold’ glued with reconcile’ and clamped; very little spring back’ so I think it will work’ if I do two opposite ribs’ together’ I can brace them against each other
    I would have posed more pictures but I dropped the camera down the bilge hole so I lost them all

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Looking good and nice war wound :eek:

Evening all
    I tried to fit the ribs that I had made during the week; these were 50x60 mm;
    I thought I had them bent close to the form of the original ribs
    How ever’ when I went to fit’ I was out by 2 inches’ no problem I though’ got the first one fitted; with a bit of persuasion’ flush on one side, a little gap on the other, forget about the bevel; after it had been fitted about an half hour; I heard a crack’ like a gun shot’ it had cracked it two places’ not much only the first half inch piece didn’t look to bad.
    However when I went to fit the other side. this rib cracked. even before I got it fully in place
    So I removed the ribs altogether and will try again.
    back to the drawing board
    Next time, I will laminate them in place, and bevel the first piece’ so I get a flush finish
    The plugs turned out well though; at least something went right
    On another note; I have been using reconcile risen glue; very happy I went with this glue; easy to work with’ when the ribs cracked the glue joints held
    Once you get the mix right’ equal amounts’ by weight;
    I have been able to freeze unused glue; and reuse it again; It dose not frees completely; it is still pliable
    and taw’s out quickly’ without any ill effects’
    The plan now with the other ribs. both oak. and teak ribs. it to laminate ½” pieces. in place, and secure them before the glue goes off, there should not be a problem as the glue goes off slowly

• Advertisement

Just a few pick’s
    I suppose I can blame the weather; some days I cant even climb the scaffold.
    I am still replacing ribs’ and scarfing others’ almost finished now.
    I have used brass screws, below the water line as much as I could and stainless screws, above
    I then have to start on the stringers
    Once I have all the ribs and stringers done; I will tackle the carvel planking; in one of the photo’s you can just make out a thin seem of caulking; it is only as thick as a candle wick; it is on either side of the plank’ has any of you come across this; I have not read about this type of caulking before;
    Any information welcome .

Do you mean brass or bronze, Brass shouldn't be used below the waterline or in anything majorly structural because it contains zinc that will become an anode in saltwater and they will become very brittle, brass isn't that strong to begin with. Your right to keep the stainless above the water also.
    The caulking looks like it was caulked traditionally, She probably wouldn't have required much when new and its seems to compress to almost nothing considering the amount that goes in there. You sometime see seams that have dried to create a large gap that contains just a tread of cotton

Agree with tinski07 the caulking looks traditional and good and tight not butchered over the years, here is a handy tip for doing it with the help of a pizza cutter :)http://shipwrightintraining.wordpress.com/2007/03/07/rice-crispy-treats-gnashing-of-teeth/

back to the drawing board’ the screws I removed looked as if they were brass’ after fifty years they did not look to bad
    I most likely got it wrong’ as brass and bronze; look alike; especially old used screws; I can remove most of them’ as for the rest:eek: ? thanks for the link for the caulking

Yea almost definitely bronze then, I got all Teals off seaware.co.uk. They have been very good and have given me a size up if they were out of stock of anything. If you go with them just place the order and add a msg that you are ROI based and to contact you with post cost and they get in touch asap. Heads up tho Silicone bronze screws are gonna be close to a euro a pop for 10gauge though.

Hi lad’s
    Looking for some advice
    Attached are two photos; one shows how tight the seem are on my boat’ the other the caulking’ on one of the bords that removed itself,
    What I need to know is how much do I open the seem to calk the new boards that I attach
    the three coins are 1€ 10 and five cent coins

I'm trying to figure out what way she's built, The picture you have of the planking in place makes it look like shes strip planked or perhap just epoxied seams, Theres no way the seams could be that tight. It doesn't look like there is any putty in the seams. Are there edge nails ? Is there definitely cotton in the seams or could they have been glued ?

maybe some of these might throw some light on it
    there is no caulking other than the cotton tread

In your second photo on the left hand side where the old paint is it looks like the caulking putty is raised so maybe when you sanded or scraped it off it just left the cotton behind.

• Advertisement

that is where there was a repair done 20 or 30 years ago’ they used pine for the replacement boards’ in the next couple of weeks I should be removing some of the planks that have not been touched since she was built .
    I might have read some where that the polish builders used a tenic whereby
    they hammered a line’ along the centre of each board’ inserted cotton’ pulled the boards together like they do with floor boards’ once the board received some moisture it compressed the cotton thereby creating a seal

Interesting, haven't heard of that before, there planking must have been really accurate. At least you shouldn't need to recaulk anything other than the planks you change and you can just put a caulking bevel on those and caulk them the traditional way. A millimeter or two is enough just so you can get a slim caulking iron in to open them up a little. The cotton and putty is forgiving if you make em a little big. Just get the inside edge of the plank as tight as you can.

Here is a video on spiling planks that might help you out. http://tour.offcenterharbor.com/fb-spiling/

Evening all
    The silicon bronze screws, 300 ;have arrived. all the way from the Americas
    So there will be a lot of screwing around this weekend
    Most of the brass’ and about half of the stainless’ that I have tried to extract so far have snapped .
    Luckily’ I left them long inside’ just in case; I should be able to grip them and screw them true; and out from the inside
    I am almost finished with the ribs’ scarfing’ and lapping’ fitting Dutchman’s
    so things are moving along nicely’ snails pace,, so myself and Lidle and Aldi have still lots more to do
    Fergal.b thanks for the link’ a picture tells a thousand words’ a video speaks volumes; thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

fergal.b wrote: »
    Here is a video on spiling planks that might help you out. http://tour.offcenterharbor.com/fb-spiling/

Fascinating craftsmanship! Cheers for posting.

Another video on steam bending planks without using a box, handy if you want to do them in place.

thanks for the video Fergal I will surly use the knowledge gained from it
    I had something similar in mind with tinfoil and rags socked with water
    I am starting to scarf some boards here’s a few picks
    To all those that have posted Thanks for all the advise
    It’s a huge learning curve for me

still scarfing in planks

a few more
    :P

• Advertisement

Looking really good, your getting a nice tight fit on the planks.

299198.JPG

Advertisement