Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,266 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

A new womens clothes shop with an odd name 'Bowling & Market' has opened beside the XL on Middle St. Two of the long empty units in the Cornstore are also undergoing some set up works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

The former Davoren's butchers, on Shantalla Road, has been demolished.

Interestingly, I can't find any planning application requesting demolition permission - the only thing I can find is this application, which mentions the "renovation of existing derelict buildings" but nothing about demolition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

serfboard wrote: »

Interestingly, I can't find any planning application requesting demolition permission - the only thing I can find is this application, which mentions the "renovation of existing derelict buildings" but nothing about demolition?

What business is opening or closing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

It's good to see a bit of life there, it's been an eyesore for years. I believe it's being developed by the same guy who developed Fort Eyre beside it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What business is opening or closing?
    Residential

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭shigg

new thai restaurant next door to the oslo in salthill - 'LANA' opened last weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

aw wrote: »
    56 Central is a sister restaurant of 37 West in Newcastle, owned by Gill Carroll of the Carroll family who own(ed) Zhivago, so maybe it's going in downstairs?

No. It's definitely going where Lynchs' is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

shigg wrote: »
    new thai restaurant next door to the oslo in salthill - 'LANA' opened last weekend

Got a flier during the week. Well priced thai food (for now). We're big fans of Thai Garden but with the introductory prices I'd be curious to compare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

?Cee?view wrote: »
    No. It's definitely going where Lynchs' is

Ya, we were looking at the numbers on the buildings last night. 5-6 is definitely in that unit, and I don't see signs up about a planning application to turn the downstairs unit into a cafe/restaurant. So I'd say Lynch's is in for a shake up.

In cafe-related news, Mixgreens on Lower Abbeygate St has has had a re-brand: new colour scheme (purple) and name (The Grainstore Kitchen) but still the Mixgreens menu.

• Advertisement

Ya, we were looking at the numbers on the buildings last night. 5-6 is definitely in that unit, and I don't see signs up about a planning application to turn the downstairs unit into a cafe/restaurant. So I'd say Lynch's is in for a shake up.

In cafe-related news, Mixgreens on Lower Abbeygate St has has had a re-brand: new colour scheme (purple) and name (The Grainstore Kitchen) but still the Mixgreens menu.

Any they've told me in 37 West that it's going into Lynchs. The owner of 37 West used to manage Lynchs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Got a flier during the week. Well priced thai food (for now). We're big fans of Thai Garden but with the introductory prices I'd be curious to compare.

Any chance you'd take a pic of the flier, or scan it? Would be interested in trying it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I noticed today that there is work (possibly just clean up) being done on what used to be the Oasis nightclub beside the old Warwick in Salthill, (it used to be The Lenaboy waaaaayyyy back when, then it was a lapdancing place, maybe?) (yes, I am ooooolllllllddddd)

Are the City Council cracking down on derelict buildings? (the old Davoren's butcher's in Shantalla has workers/demolishers in after how many years?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Any they've told me in 37 West that it's going into Lynchs. The owner of 37 West used to manage Lynchs.

Oh, I'd be kind of disappointed to see Lynches gone. 37 West seems nice but it's menu is a little limited in mass appeal compared to Lynches.

Oh, I'd be kind of disappointed to see Lynches gone. 37 West seems nice but it's menu is a little limited in mass appeal compared to Lynches.

I thought the same (even though I like the 37 West menu) and they told me that the menu in the new place will be different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,383 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

As some have mentioned the international pub chain McGettigan's will be opening on June 18 in the old Bentley premises.

The Stage Door in Woodquay will be reopening as a bar/restaurant in coming months also. Under a new name I presume.

• Advertisement

When did Galway Curry House on Mary St. become Galway Kebab&Pizza?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭12thofthe12th

I thought they were the same crowd, along with Tasty Macs, they are all under same address on just eat anyway.

How can the same restaurant promote itself under three different names?
    I had someone looking for Galway Curry House yesterday and they couldn't find it on Mary St.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Maybe it's just that mass appeal is changing? I don't really know anything about that sorta stuff though, I just like to eat :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭jkforde

Eeden wrote: »
    Are the City Council cracking down on derelict buildings? (the old Davoren's butcher's in Shantalla has workers/demolishers in after how many years?)

yeah, I noticed a couple of sites - one on Eglinton canal below Wards got cleaned up under enforcement and another site near the Warwick had an enforcement notice on it...

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope." Irving Layton

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    How can the same restaurant promote itself under three different names?
    I had someone looking for Galway Curry House yesterday and they couldn't find it on Mary St.

Aye, they shouldn't allow this kind of practice, but it seems to be quite common
    on just eat. Alfredos Kebab House and Galway Tandoori are under the same address as well.

Aye, they shouldn't allow this kind of practice, but it seems to be quite common
    on just eat. Alfredos Kebab House and Galway Tandoori are under the same address as well.

Same with Florence and Student Pizza Corner on Abbeygate St.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Aye, they shouldn't allow this kind of practice, but it seems to be quite common on just eat.

It's just branding. No different to having two different tins of baked beans of the supermarket shelf, no difference on the inside but different labels on the outside - people are willing to pay more for the perceived "higher quality" brand of product.

If fools part with more of the money, that's their lookout. Provided no one's telling actual lies about what they're selling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

New place called 'Tribeton' opening somewhere in Galway.
    Looks like a pub/restaurant/venue.

http://tribeton.ie/

Any ideas as to where?

Would it be what's going into the old Stage Door?

Any ideas as to where?

Is it supposed to be pronounced Try Bet On, Tribe Ton(weight measurement), crap name. Website is irritating too, links are all obsolete along the bottom of it, a basic web design fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Is it supposed to be pronounced Try Bet On, Tribe Ton(weight measurement), crap name. Website is irritating too, links are all obsolete along the bottom of it, a basic web design fail.

I heard from source that it's a new betting shop run by Triton showers but jesus don't quite me now lads

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Delicia

Any ideas as to where?

The website uses the same tagline as the cocktail bar in the G Hotel. Should be interesting?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Delicia

It's fascinating to see behind Davorens now that it's gone. It looks like an old chapel behind there, which I'm sure is part of Fort Eyre. It would be interesting to see more of it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Delicia wrote: »
    The website uses the same tagline as the cocktail bar in the G Hotel. Should be interesting?

I note the fb page 'likes' the Edward hotel group which has the G and Meyrick in Galway..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

Would anyone know the opening times of vinnies pizza please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

molly09 wrote: »
    Would anyone know the opening times of vinnies pizza please?
    I think you got this thread wrong but here
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vinnies/134370163301025
    Open today 4:00pm - 3:00am
    http://www.vinnies.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

Sorry, I did post in the wrong place, I spend ages googling and could not find that webpage, thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

No probs, enjoy the pizza :)

It's just branding. No different to having two different tins of baked beans of the supermarket shelf, no difference on the inside but different labels on the outside - people are willing to pay more for the perceived "higher quality" brand of product.

If fools part with more of the money, that's their lookout. Provided no one's telling actual lies about what they're selling.

That's a silly comparison IMO. It's not selling the same food under different labels is it? How can Indian food be the same as Kebabs and pizzas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

Is Mizzonis closed as well??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

O'Leary's in Salthill is currently being done up. Dunno what's going in there, but someone on this thread mentioned Tesco Express a long time ago ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭westgolf

O'Leary's in Salthill is currently being done up. Dunno what's going in there, but someone on this thread mentioned Tesco Express a long time ago ...

Back in the good days twas said to become a tesco express but thats 3 or 4 years back

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

westgolf wrote: »
    Back in the good days twas said to become a tesco express but thats 3 or 4 years back

Apparently Seapoint bought it so we see what they put in there.Don't think the Tesco express was anything more than a rumour and Tesco themselves have scaled back their express store opening plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭westgolf

howyanow wrote: »
    Apparently Seapoint bought it so we see what they put in there.Don't think the Tesco express was anything more than a rumour and Tesco themselves have scaled back their express store opening plans.

Good to see that seapoint are developing it. Twill improve the streetscape on that side. New front gone onto salt & pepper and new thai place beside the oslo too.

westgolf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Golden Rikshaw on Mary Street closed for the week for renovations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭buzz11

dan hibiki wrote: »
    Is Mizzonis closed as well??

Seems to be, I called their yesterday evening and it was closed.

An odd place but the pizza was tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 nunchuks

buzz11 wrote: »
    Seems to be, I called their yesterday evening and it was closed.

An odd place but the pizza was tasty!

God damn it, it's my favourite pizza place. Anyone know if it's permanently closed or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

nunchuks wrote: »
    God damn it, it's my favourite pizza place. Anyone know if it's permanently closed or what?

I always found it to be hit and miss to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

nunchuks wrote: »

No Idea. They knew my usual order off by heart. The pizza was way less greasy than Dominos or 4-star, and their mozzarella balls were amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭manna452121

QikBax wrote: »
    New restaurant going into Shop Street. I think where Lynch's is

http://www.56central.com/

If you like eating in a BLACK CAVE you will like 56.As a regular visitor to Lynch's I was disgusted with the changes when I went in this morning for breakfast.We decided to have some food,which was good,maybe they kept the chef from Lynch's,prices have also gone up.Someone should have done their homework before they ruined a perfect place to have some food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

If you like eating in a BLACK CAVE you will like 56.As a regular visitor to Lynch's I was disgusted with the changes when I went in this morning for breakfast.We decided to have some food,which was good,maybe they kept the chef from Lynch's,prices have also gone up.Someone should have done their homework before they ruined a perfect place to have some food.

Unfortunately I totally agree, i'm a big fan of 37 west but the darkness in the makeover is terrible

Im guessing its not aimed at Lynchs clientele though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Im guessing its not aimed at Lynchs clientele though.

It would seem like a silly move though as the place is definitely big enough to cater to everyone and to even have differently styled areas. The new menu is pretty broad too, much wider appeal that 37 West so I wouldn't say they aimed to isolate anyone.

It would seem like a silly move though as the place is definitely big enough to cater to everyone and to even have differently styled areas. The new menu is pretty broad too, much wider appeal that 37 West so I wouldn't say they aimed to isolate anyone.

No but i doubt they are catering to the carvery lover in there.

From the photos i see on Twitter it also looks really nice in there, no longer stuck in a carpeted time warp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Tried out 56 yesterday. Horrendously overpriced for very very average food. Decor is ok but wouldn't be mad about it, black cave does spring to mind!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement