Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First shooting experience

Options
  • 20-06-2015 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭

Like many people I'm sure, I had my first experience shooting while in America a couple of weeks ago. It's such a pity similar access to guns isn't available here. Not necessarily the ability of everyone to own handguns at home etc but I cant see the country collapsing on itself if there were ranges available where people could go for a couple of hours, rent some guns of various types and calibers and shoot some rounds.

Would be nice to be able to own a handgun if you so wished, even if it had to remain in your club in a safe,along the the line of banks with personal safety deposit boxes.

How far away (or how close are they is your a glass half full type :-) ) do you have to go to be able to get a similar system to the US? A cousin of mine in Germany has a couple of hand guns but it was years ago when he showed me so never got the ins and outs from him. I'm half German so was over there pretty much every year until recent years, I really should have looked in to it more.

Have to say I really enjoyed the experience even if it was cut relatively short by the brother in law deciding it wasn't really his thing and finishing up after the 2nd gun we used. I didn't want to leave them sitting around too long so only got one more gun after that to fire. I said I'd get back to the range again before I'd to head home but didn't get the chance.

Shot a box of rounds with a 9mm between myself, my young lad and the brother in law. Then a box with a .40 between myself and the brother in law and lastly a .45 1911 by myself. Got myself the targets and one casing in each caliber as souvenirs :-)

All in all , one of the more enjoyable days or my holiday and I'd really hope to go again (there's talk of Vegas next year for the missus 40th so I'll be nice and let her sleep in in the mornings to get her rest :-) )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

Shooting tourism is available in eastern Europe in Czech Republic, Poland and other places. Example below

http://topguntours.co.uk/

To learn to shoot a handgun recommend starting out with a .22, not as much fun, but limits forming bad habits, just my humble opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Like many people I'm sure, I had my first experience shooting while in America a couple of weeks ago. It's such a pity similar access to guns isn't available here. Not necessarily the ability of everyone to own handguns at home etc but I cant see the country collapsing on itself if there were ranges available where people could go for a couple of hours, rent some guns of various types and calibers and shoot some rounds.

Would be nice to be able to own a handgun if you so wished, even if it had to remain in your club in a safe,along the the line of banks with personal safety deposit boxes.

How far away (or how close are they is your a glass half full type :-) ) do you have to go to be able to get a similar system to the US? A cousin of mine in Germany has a couple of hand guns but it was years ago when he showed me so never got the ins and outs from him. I'm half German so was over there pretty much every year until recent years, I really should have looked in to it more.

Have to say I really enjoyed the experience even if it was cut relatively short by the brother in law deciding it wasn't really his thing and finishing up after the 2nd gun we used. I didn't want to leave them sitting around too long so only got one more gun after that to fire. I said I'd get back to the range again before I'd to head home but didn't get the chance.

Shot a box of rounds with a 9mm between myself, my young lad and the brother in law. Then a box with a .40 between myself and the brother in law and lastly a .45 1911 by myself. Got myself the targets and one casing in each caliber as souvenirs :-)

All in all , one of the more enjoyable days or my holiday and I'd really hope to go again (there's talk of Vegas next year for the missus 40th so I'll be nice and let her sleep in in the mornings to get her rest :-) )

Your souvenirs are illegal for you to possess and you broke a heap of laws by having them here, welcome to Irish firearms laws ...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

EWQuinn wrote: »

To learn to shoot a handgun recommend starting out with a .22, not as much fun, but limits forming bad habits, just my humble opinion.

When we went in first I was expecting to start with a .22 tbh, especially having the young lad with me, but the guy there said "look , you can start with that but its basically a bb gun" and set us up with the 9mm ,brought us in, showed the basics and had us shoot a few rounds each under supervision.

Had actually looked at that site, though just the Orlando section, before I went. Ended up going to Oak Ridge Gun Range http://www.oakridgegunrange.com/

Might have a look in to one of the eastern european ones. A cheap Ryanair flight and an ovenight stay would cost little more than if it was in Galway to be fair.
    bravestar wrote: »
    Your souvenirs are illegal for you to possess and you broke a heap of laws by having them here, welcome to Irish firearms laws ...

Hey, much like when I brought back a knife from Germany many years ago as a lad, they "accidentally" got left in my checked bag, giving the people checking ample chance to find said items. I only remembered they were there when I found them while unpacking, sir :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

When we went in first I was expecting to start with a .22 tbh, especially having the young lad with me, but the guy there said "look , you can start with that but its basically a bb gun" and set us up with the 9mm ,brought us in, showed the basics and had us shoot a few rounds each under supervision.

Hey, much like when I brought back a knife from Germany many years ago as a lad, they "accidentally" got left in my checked bag, giving the people checking ample chance to find said items. I only remembered they were there when I found them while unpacking, sir :D
    That wont wash with ammo, and spent cases are classed as ammo in ireland believe it or not!

Had actually looked at that site, though just the Orlando section, before I went. Ended up going to Oak Ridge Gun Range http://www.oakridgegunrange.com/

Might have a look in to one of the eastern european ones. A cheap Ryanair flight and an ovenight stay would cost little more than if it was in Galway to be fair.

Entirely different, you don't need a licence for a knife. You do for every caliber of spent casing in your possession. I know , ridiculous, but thems the rules, for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

guy:incognito - you are a naughty, naughty boy. Expect a call from ERU within the next few days, spent casings are very dangerous and will not be tolerated in this country by unlicenced individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

Entirely different, you don't need a licence for a knife. You do for every caliber of spent casing in your possession. I know , ridiculous, but thems the rules, for now.

Some one better tell the Irish War museum in collon. They sell Spent cases to kids.

idnkph wrote: »
    Some one better tell the Irish War museum in collon. They sell Spent cases to kids.

I couldnt care less what they sell but it's as if you think I'm either making this up or agree with this law. Look it up for yourself if you don't believe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

idnkph wrote: »

Spent cases are classed as ammunition and only people who have a license for that calibre gun can have that calibre ammo and only the amount they are permitted on their licence. Not saying its a good law because its ****ing ridiculous but that be the rules!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

First shooting experience involved sneaking the grandfather's single barrel hammer gun out of the house and up the fields.
    Would have been 10 or 11.
    Having been repeatedly warned about broken shoulders and exploding barrels (to keep me away from it) I decided the safest thing was to tie it to a tree and aim it at a clump of thistles.
    Tied it, put in a cardboard Alphamax, pulled back the hammer and retreated.Had a twine round the trigger.
    Fired it, and was impressed with the swath it cut through the thistles!
    Loved the smell of burnt powder from that moment on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

I couldnt care less what they sell but it's as if you think I'm either making this up or agree with this law. Look it up for yourself if you don't believe me.

Cool the jets there lad. I was only pointing out what the IWM were doing. Wasnt having a go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

I think the spent casing is a bit like the "zeroing a rifle outside a range" law, yes it is illegal, but it would be a bad garda that would do you for it.

Then again, you could get away with the second one because the law doesn't define a target. With the casing, your snookered should you be brought up for it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

BrownTrout wrote: »
    Then again, you could get away with the second one because the law doesn't define a target.
    SI 622/2011 (Range SI) among others define a target as pretty much anything you aim at (other than wildlife). Seriously, it covers everything. Tin cans, paper, etc, etc.

What they did not define was the act of shooting at targets in the sense of how many people need to be present before it's target shooting and not zeroing, how many rounds you can fire before it's target shooting and not zeroing, etc, etc.

The laws in this country can be an ass. The lads are not giving you a hard time, just trying to forewarn you about bringing back something that will/could get you into trouble. Knives can be imported/brought in as they're not illegal. Spent cases technically need a license. I know of three situations where people were caught with cases they had not license for. In two of them the judge ruled they were for decorative reasons and threw the case out, and in the third it was also ruled to be a genuine mistake (a lad policing his own brass picked up a case that was not his).

In all cases the people involved had to deal with Gardaí, court and varying degrees of expense. Not, as i'm sure you'll agree, a pleasant thing to go through for a bit of brass.

In relation to your experience i'm glad yo enjoyed it. You can experience some of that right here on the various ranges around the country. Most ranges will accommodate you in showing you around, allowing you to test the facilities and help you get into the sport if it's something you think you might like.

We don't have the freedom they enjoy in the states in terms of types of guns and how we shoot them but there are thousands and thousands of people safely enjoying all types of shooting each year.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Shooting tourism is available in eastern Europe in Czech Republic, Poland and other places.

I was in Krakow back in March with Mrs. Boss. I decided to check out the local shooting range while she was shooping. After a quick google of the nearest one to me I nearly fell over. It would have cost about €200 for about an hours shooting. Granted I could fire 10 shots from an AK, 10 from an UZI, 5 from a shotgun, 20 from a pistol and 5 from a sniper rifle (can't remember the name), but that works out to be a very expensive hour. That price didn't include transfers or anything, just the shooting.

Sadly, too expensive for me so I didn't go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

I was in Brno visiting friends three years ago and asked them to bring me to this place: http://www.triggerservice.cz/en/

I shot all round me, AK, shotgun, 1911, S&W 500, Desert Eagle with a box of ammo for each (except the 500) and I barely reached the €100 mark. We were there for around two hours but there really was no rush and the guy even brought out some extra guns on the house.

Cass wrote: »

We don't have the freedom they enjoy in the states in terms of types of guns and how we shoot them but there are thousands and thousands of people safely enjoying all types of shooting each year.

What sort of pistol shooting do we have here?. I noticed on one of the sites (cant remember which) there was a pic of a girl shooting what appeared to be a standard enough pistol (to my untrained eye), similar to what I saw and was shooting in the states. Are they all .22 or do some places have 9mm (or bigger calibre). The impression you get , as a layman , here is that everything is banned and theres lads out shooting .22's cos thats all the government allow.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I was in Krakow back in March with Mrs. Boss. I decided to check out the local shooting range while she was shooping. After a quick google of the nearest one to me I nearly fell over. It would have cost about €200 for about an hours shooting. Granted I could fire 10 shots from an AK, 10 from an UZI, 5 from a shotgun, 20 from a pistol and 5 from a sniper rifle (can't remember the name), but that works out to be a very expensive hour. That price didn't include transfers or anything, just the shooting.

Sadly, too expensive for me so I didn't go.

For me to shoot in Florida the bill came to €122.Thats for 3 of us on the range. 1 box of 9mm, 1 box or .40 and 1 box of ,45 . 50 rounds per box.

You pay for the 3 people ($20, $10, $10 I think) then the gun rental ($15 iirc) and swap as many guns as you like, just buy whatever ammo you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

What sort of pistol shooting do we have here?. I noticed on one of the sites (cant remember which) there was a pic of a girl shooting what appeared to be a standard enough pistol (to my untrained eye), similar to what I saw and was shooting in the states. Are they all .22 or do some places have 9mm (or bigger calibre). The impression you get , as a layman , here is that everything is banned and theres lads out shooting .22's cos thats all the government allow.

You are pretty near to the mark.

Some guys have centrefire pistols here, 9mm, 38special, 45's etc. They have special licences for them that can't be gotten any more. In other words, no new licences can be issued for centrefire pistols. There are competitions but new entrants are effectively banned from the sport.

You can licence a .22lr pistol for target shooting, that is allowed. You have to be a member of a target range that caters for pistols to be allowed licence one. You can't carry it around with you like in the states though. It must be kept in a safe and only taken out when you are going to the range.

Believe it or not but there are rules on what kind of targets you can shoot here. You can't shoot at a target that is shaped like a person. And you can't do "dynamic shooting". That's shooting that simulates combat according to the powers that be. And you can't shoot at stuff in a field, it must only be used at an official range.

So it's very different to the States.

BattleCorp wrote: »

Believe it or not but there are rules on what kind of targets you can shoot here. You can't shoot at a target that is shaped like a person. And you can't do "dynamic shooting". That's shooting that simulates combat according to the powers that be. And you can't shoot at stuff in a field, it must only be used at an official range.

From looking at the range websites, it seems to be similar in Eastern europe too. They mention no silhouettes unless you're police or military. They'll let you shoot an AK, various caliber handguns,shotguns, Dragunov etc, at round targets but a vaguely person shaped one is such a no no.:D

One of the targets I used was the man holding a woman hostage one. The .45 made **** of the criminal but the woman got away unscathed. I like to think I'm ready and able to assist if hostages get taken.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

From looking at the range websites, it seems to be similar in Eastern europe too. They mention no silhouettes unless you're police or military. They'll let you shoot an AK, various caliber handguns,shotguns, Dragunov etc, at round targets but a vaguely person shaped one is such a no no.:D

One of the targets I used was the man holding a woman hostage one. The .45 made **** of the criminal but the woman got away unscathed. I like to think I'm ready and able to assist if hostages get taken.:P

Have you thought about joining some sort of army ?

• Advertisement

rsole1 wrote: »
    Have you thought about joining some sort of army ?

Dads army?:D

I'm beyond the cutoff for those type of things I'd imagine.
    Though if I'd thought of it earlier, those ads for the Royal Navy looking for apprentice mechanics is something like what I'd have been interested in.

Advertisement