Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

"Potoes" anyone? :pac::rolleyes:

(as spotted at Lanistown on the R132)

Is it the H and L thats missing I wonder :pac:

New Brooks saddle - the C17

brooks_zps58ab8561.jpg

Looks quite like the San Marco Regal. Will look lovely on the fixie, sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

"Potoes" anyone? :pac::rolleyes:

They must have to use up some of the vowels Cav left lying around.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

ror_74 wrote: »
    New Brooks saddle - the C17
    Does it have saddle bag loops?

CramCycle wrote: »
    Does it have saddle bag loops?

Looks like it - more compact than the traditional loops

C17_zpscd858378.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭detones

It's Sh1t that Off the Ball now ends at 9. Nothing good to listen to now while doing my nightly kitchen clean up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,721 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Never thought I'd see Brooks selling vegan saddles. I wonder how water-resistant it is though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If you do the Euromillions, now would be a good time to check your numbers, winning ticket sold here and in Belgium. just shy of 94 million for the winner. I forgot to play today so I am confident it isn't me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

If you do the Euromillions, now would be a good time to check your numbers, winning ticket sold here and in Belgium. just shy of 94 million for the winner. I forgot to play today so I am confident it isn't me.

I won, but Im keeping it on the down low..not posting it online or anything silly :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'm still having trouble with Veloviewer. I deleted all activities and reloaded them again but I'm still about 220 segments short. I should be approaching 1,000. I'm also short a few KOM's but the other info seems correct.

Anyone else having trouble with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I went for a spin up to Glencullen tonight, apparently the summer resort of choice for flies. On the way up I was all:

259950.png

but several flies later, on the way back down, I was all:

259951.jpg

I think this will be my cycling headgear of choice in future:

Burca-3.jpg

Reported to have been bought in Reilly's Supervalu in Sallins (beside train station).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I've never been so jealous of someone I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Where do people stand on red light on a dual carriageway where you're going straight in the hard shoulder. The light is there to allow traffic join from the other side of the road. A red is a red or it's safe enough go for it? Reason I ask is that I seem to be the only cyclist who stops at this junction when the light is red:

http://goo.gl/maps/bNo5p

Someone said to me it doesn't apply to the hard shoulder as the stop line doesn't go across it. That right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Someone said to me it doesn't apply to the hard shoulder as the stop line doesn't go across it. That right?

That's probably technically correct. It's over 20 years since I looked at the legislation, but I seem to recall the offence of running a red light was failure to stop at the line when the light was red. A lot of beer under the bridge since then so I could be completely wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

Where do people stand on red light on a dual carriageway where you're going straight in the hard shoulder. The light is there to allow traffic join from the other side of the road. A red is a red or it's safe enough go for it? Reason I ask is that I seem to be the only cyclist who stops at this junction when the light is red:

We've been over this before, because some cycle lanes don't have the white line across them, but it still applies iirc. Some junctions won't have a line, but you still have to stop at the lights.

S.I. No. 294/1964 — Road Traffic General Bye-Laws, 1964.
    13.—(1) Subject to paragraph (4) of this bye-law, a driver facing a traffic light lamp which shows a red light shall not proceed beyond the stop line at that light or, if there is no such stop line, beyond that light.

The guys going through are probably serial RLJers. Take the high moral ground!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Good article on Graeme Obree here (he's going for the world land speed record) . Man, I love that guy .

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jun/25/flying-scotsman-graeme-obree-cycling-beastie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Trek have bought the ProTour license for Radioshack..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

It doesn't apply 'cos it's Tallaght - based to keep rolling, a moving target is harder to hit:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

The comments section in this article should soon be full with road tax/helmets/hiviz/red lights/footpads
    Cycling bullsh1t bingo anyone?
    http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/cycling-behaviour-worst-967028-Jun2013/?utm_source=twitter_self

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

Thanks. Noticed they had the FFWD disc wheel for 995 and wanted to see if I could get more off. Lost the number for the guy down south of the country selling all the track stuff (Cervelo, corima etc) on DoneDeal a few months back, so this is my next best option.

If you go through fatcheese you might get 3% cash back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

So I was messing with the bike and got to some close by hills to give it a try and went straight to the gym with it. Leave it in a corner, the trainer sees it and tries to lift it, says wow and and gathers few more people to touch and lift and generally mess around with the bike. 3mins later 6-7 ladies all line up to feel the bike and each one coming after to chat about it. Damn this thing has many uses...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

AstraMonti wrote: »
    So I was messing with the bike and got to some close by hills to give it a try and went straight to the gym with it. Leave it in a corner, the trainer sees it and tries to lift it, says wow and and gathers few more people to touch and lift and generally mess around with the bike. 3mins later 6-7 ladies all line up to feel the bike and each one coming after to chat about it. Damn this thing has many uses...

I like how that part sounds like your bike was so heavy he didn't actually manage to lift it! :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

buffalo wrote: »
    I like how that part sounds like your bike was so heavy he didn't actually manage to lift it! :pac:

Astra is known for his love of anchors with wheels.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Are you telling us you got the ride then? :cool:

• Advertisement

Anyone know if the TDF is covered much on US television. Heading there tomorrow for 2 weeks. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

NBC and Versus should show some coverage -not sure how much though, and it could be at odd hours with the time difference!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Anyone know if the TDF is covered much on US television. Heading there tomorrow for 2 weeks. Thanks.

You could try http://www.eurosportplayer.co.uk/ if you can't get it on TV.

How awesome is this..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,804 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The comments section in this article should soon be full with road tax/helmets/hiviz/red lights/footpads
    Cycling bullsh1t bingo anyone?
    http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/cycling-behaviour-worst-967028-Jun2013/?utm_source=twitter_self
    It's quite brilliant. It encapsulates the Irish Times' entire Bike Week coverage into one simple sub-LOLCats page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Am pondering trying my hand at converting an old Raleigh Outland MTB that's been sitting in my Dad's garage for the last 15+ years into a single speed beater that I won't mind leaving locked in the city centre/ locked in the carpark of our building (alternative to Dublin bikes).

Mostly I want to do it for the experience, I found a few threads on other forums about people converting them into tourers but really I'd like to get a cheap SS chainset and hub, not sure whether I'll need a new BB but I'd imagine I'll need to replace at least the back wheel for a SS hub?

From what I understand the original bikes were borderline BSOs so really don't want to do anything I can't do by scrounging or buying for cheap in Rothar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,804 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Does any shop in Dublin sell floor/wall anchors? I'm thinking of the Oxford Brute Force. It's cheap and sufficient for my needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Does any shop in Dublin sell floor/wall anchors? I'm thinking of the Oxford Brute Force. It's cheap and sufficient for my needs.
    Pretty sure they had floor anchors in Cyclesurgery in Dundrum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Has anyone ever fit a wheelset into a Parcel Motel locker? Not able to collect from a depot or anything like that I need to use the machines they have at petrol stations...

Unless you want them delivered in an egg shape i dont think they ll fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

My youtube in work thinks I'm in france. I keep getting these sexy french accent ads before I watch a video. No idea what they're selling but it always sounds hot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Unless you want them delivered in an egg shape i dont think they ll fit.
    I thought there were bigger lockers underneath though, doesnt matter now anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Thargor wrote: »
    Has anyone ever fit a wheelset into a Parcel Motel locker? Not able to collect from a depot or anything like that I need to use the machines they have at petrol stations...

If it's too big, I believe it goes to the central depot in town or wherever it is and you simply collect it from there.

I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    If it's too big, I believe it goes to the central depot in town or wherever it is and you simply collect it from there.

I think.

Yeah, pretty much it, I got a frameset delivered through parcel motel. There is an extra charge (an extra €7 over the €3.50), and you have to collect it from Finglas.

Fantastic service...ended up availing of a UK only offer, AND saving €20 on delivery...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

colm_gti wrote: »
    Yeah, pretty much it, I got a frameset delivered through parcel motel. There is an extra charge (an extra €7 over the €3.50), and you have to collect it from Finglas.

Fantastic service...ended up availing of a UK only offer, AND saving €20 on delivery...

Yeah Finglas, there we go...that's in town, right?

• Advertisement

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Yeah Finglas, there we go...that's in town, right?

It's on the nice side of town...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Doing my second ever TT tonight, there's going to be a massive headwind in the return leg.

Advise? Should I ignore it and just try to make up time on the uphill sections like usual? Should I save energy for the entire first half? Should I go hard for the first quarter, and then try to relax a bit in the second quarter so I have a bit more energy for the turn into the wind?

Doing my second ever TT tonight, there's going to be a massive headwind in the return leg.

Advise? Should I ignore it and just try to make up time on the uphill sections like usual? Should I save energy for the entire first half? Should I go hard for the first quarter, and then try to relax a bit in the second quarter so I have a bit more energy for the turn into the wind?

Stick to your LTHR, don't worry about wind, gradient or speed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,138 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

colm_gti wrote: »
    Stick to your LTHR, don't worry about wind, gradient or speed...

Going harder when airspeed is lower is more efficient.

Lumen wrote: »
    Going harder when airspeed is lower is more efficient.

But you wouldn't like to have blown your gasket before you hit the headwind...

How long is the TT?

20km, I've never used a power meter and don't have any LTHR or FTP data.

It's a light rolling terrain, I'm much lighter than everyone who was there last time so I'll be fastest going up the drags either way...But overall I'm useless so will be doing well to finish in the middle again.

Edit: Well, no accurate data. But I know roughly how hard I can go for the 20km, but I was planning on hitting "zone 5" (at least in my head) a couple of times. Just wondering where would be the most profitable places to do it. With no wind, I imagine it would be on the uphill sections, but the wind raises an interesting question I think.

20km, I've never used a power meter and don't have any LTHR or FTP data.

It's a light rolling terrain, I'm much lighter than everyone who was there last time so I'll be fastest going up the drags either way...But overall I'm useless so will be doing well to finish in the middle again.

Get a cheap HR monitor, find your LTHR (your average HR for the last 20 minutes of a 30 minute TT).

It'll improve your TT'ing to no end if you know the effort you can maintain for 60 minutes without blowing up :)

As for today, go as hard as you can with a tail wind, and as hard as you can with a headwind

Just home, much faster than last week. Also, much more pain than last week. It was very blustery I was unable to do anything less than maximum effort the entire time. Also quite hot. Bonked around half-way, thanks to my dreadful diet for the past 48 hours.

Came last this week, smaller group and all of them were quite serious racers. Still, happy out that I set a faster time than last week even with all the tough conditions :D Bring on the next one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Thargor wrote: »

Just been up to my local to collect a couple of books (The Rider and The Rules - how dedicated is that?). The biggest lockers look about 50cm square so unless your thinking BMX wheel sets, the depot is the place.

• Advertisement

iphone+mount.jpeg

jonah-hill-shock.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement