Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deadline Day: Bring Out The Transfer Gimp!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

-Ade- wrote: »
    The Belgium national team are currently at a similar stage to where Spain and Holland were for many years in the early noughties namely, to a slightly lesser extent. Talent galore, many individually excellent players but there are a few divisions within the camp. Players with questionable egos and attitudes.

Regarding the squad, the starting XI is excellent but Lakaku needs to mature first. They lack a goalscoring striker. Hazard will be leading the line tomorrow though.

Only sort of opened my eyes to the class and potential Belgium have when I read this article earlier

http://www.givemefootball.com/internationals/belgium-set-to-continue-upward-trajectory

Potentially they could have a team of

Courtois (Chelsea)

Kompany(City)
    Vertonghen(Ajax/Spurs)
    Vermaelen(Arsenal)
    Van Buyten(Bayern)

Hazard(Chelsea)
    Fellaini(Everton)
    Witsel(Benfica)
    Defour(Porto)

Lukaku(Chelsea)
    Dembele(Fulham)

with the likes of Pocognoli,De Bruyne,Alderweireld,Mignolet etc etc etc pushing my XI,Europe beware

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Gillington wrote: »
    Only sort of opened my eyes to the class and potential Belgium have when I read this article earlier

http://www.givemefootball.com/internationals/belgium-set-to-continue-upward-trajectory

Potentially they could have a team of

Courtois (Chelsea)

Kompany(City)
    Vertonghen(Ajax/Spurs)
    Vermaelen(Arsenal)
    Van Buyten(Bayern)

Hazard(Chelsea)
    Fellaini(Everton)
    Witsel(Benfica)
    Defour(Porto)

Lukaku(Chelsea)
    Dembele(Fulham)

with the likes of Pocognoli,De Bruyne,Alderweireld,Mignolet etc etc etc pushing my XI,Europe beware

Mertens at PSV too is another excellent talent. Someone I'd love to see at Liverpool. Mirallas at Olympiakos is meant to be another very good player. Not seen much of him myself though to really give an informed opinion on him. Meant to be starting later on vs England though, so will see him then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I think Belgium are as low as about 30/1 on Betfair but you can get 100/1 with some bookies to win the 2014 World Cup.
    Some people may think it's mad backing them now but it's worth a bet IMO as you can easily lay it off if they qualify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I don't think Belgium will be near the finals of the 2014 World Cup.

I think they are making good strides but i don't think they will make a splash until 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I think most European teams will struggle with the next WC being on in South America... kind of going away from the point of the thread though here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I like the way Chelsea get the majority of their business done early.
    Very different to the plodding cumbersome way that Liverpool insist upon.

I don't think Belgium will be near the finals of the 2014 World Cup.

I think they are making good strides but i don't think they will make a splash until 2018.

You don't think they will qualify?

I think most European teams will struggle with the next WC being on in South America... kind of going away from the point of the thread though here

That's not the point I was making. I was saying I think they will definitely qualify barring mutiny in the camp and once qualified you can lay the bet off and have a free bet on them to win the tournament

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

amiable wrote: »
    That's not the point I was making. I was saying I think they will definitely qualify barring mutiny in the camp and once qualified you can lay the bet off and have a free bet on them to win the tournament

I got what you meant. I understand backing them now then laying when they qualify and the odds have come down

My point was just a general one, seeing as we were talking about the WC, that most European nations will struggle in a SA WC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Liverpool probably prefer to have their manager in place before signing players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

It's easier to sign players when you can pull out a cheque book, pen in hand and say "how much?"

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Samich wrote: »
    Liverpool probably prefer to have their manager in place before signing players.

Yep, that's the scattergun approach, let's interview all the managers that got a team promoted last year, I think we'll take Hazard and Hulk instead of 2nd or 3rd choice manager. Or why not ask twitter...oh wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

It's the same every year for as long as I can recall.

I could be mistaken by Sir Andy Carroll's comment, but I think he meant in general. Liverpool have always been rather slow to get their business done in the summer.

It's the same every year for as long as I can recall.

I can't even remember a Summer with all this much transfer action so early. Maybe there has been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Yep, that's the scattergun approach, let's interview all the managers that got a team promoted last year, I think we'll take Hazard and Hulk instead of 2nd or 3rd choice manager. Or why not ask twitter...oh wait

Or take who????

Doesnt matter who gets the job, its short term work period until the owner decided otherwise.

must be mad getting excited at all these signings then realising you have no manager to make them play :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Di Matteo is manager until June 30th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Di Matteo is manager until June 30th

That's like being Father Christmas just for the month of January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Kuyt to Fenerbahce on a 3 year deal according to their Twitter.

https://twitter.com/#!/fenerbahce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Did I see Holiett had signed for Borussia Mönchengladbach earlier ?

• Advertisement

Did I see Holiett had signed for Borussia Mönchengladbach earlier ?

Express are the only ones reporting he has signed a deal. Others saying he is close to agreeing a deal.

Great signing for only €800k if it goes through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Why? Your new owners have made it clear that the manager will have no say anymore over transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Why? Your new owners have made it clear that the manager will have no say anymore over transfers.

No they didn't!!! If that was the case, Rodgers would still be manager of Swansea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Kuyt to Fenerbahce on a 3 year deal according to their Twitter.

https://twitter.com/#!/fenerbahce

As a Pool fan, I'm sad to see him go, but he was a great servant. The sort of player who will always be welcome home to Anfield...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Swing and a miss in the Liverpool thread so trying your luck in here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,551 ✭✭✭✭CSF

To be fair, they've massively overspent on players. If any club were willing to do that (and Liverpool certainly have been recently) they could get their business done early. Your Arsenal, United and Tottenham's will be using a bit more savvy to get the best deals possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Swing and a miss in the Liverpool thread so trying your luck in here?

Best part is he is responding to a non Liverpool fan.

Hoilett to Gladbach for €800k is done according to most German journos I follow.

The Twitter ignorance is unreal tonight if you type Junior Hoilett into the search. Enjoy the stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I'm sitting there laughing at people saying he has no amibition.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

Just people pretending to know about football when all they need to do is have one look at the Bundesliga table from last season. Hope he does well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

What a steal at that price , it's a crime to pay millions for the likes of bebe and you see a better player going for that.

As far as lack of ambition , ignorant is right there a champions league team in one of the best leagues in football, some great talent playing out their.

Iv heard before the German league has the highest attendances in Europe , it's pretty entertaining to watch from what Iv seen of it on Espn on occasions too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Would have thought, and no disrespect meant here at all, that he would have been picked up by a higher profile club for such a low fee.

Good luck to him, good league to ply your trade in

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Hoilett to Gladbach for €800k is done according to most German journos I follow.

The Twitter ignorance is unreal tonight if you type Junior Hoilett into the search. Enjoy the stupidity.

Commented on it an hour ago on Twitter. Mind boggles with some people. Lack of ambition? He just joined a Champions League club. Lol, that isn't lacking ambition and is willing to play abroad. He'll be a much better player for it. I wish him and 'gladbach all the best next season, lot of people outside of Germany don't realise the quality of their football. Himself and Xhaka are too very, very good signings and I can't wait to see them in action next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Off topic but I've literally only just realised -Ade- = El LoCo Ade.

I feel dumb.

He was that price because his contract was up and he is under 23 so it is compensation.

He also played in Germany and scored against monchengladbach so they were well aware of him.

Still surprising though that he wasn't really linked to many English clubs lately.

Such an exciting player. Enjoyed a lot of his goals last season, won't be seeing them any more :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,345 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

G.K. wrote: »
    Off topic but I've literally only just realised -Ade- = El LoCo Ade.

I feel dumb.

Ah he's gone majorly downhill since the Adnan_Alves (sp?) days :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Had been hoping Wenger had plans to snap up Hoilett this summer. Disappointing news.

Liam O wrote: »
    Ah he's gone majorly downhill since the Adnan_Alves (sp?) days :P

He was adnan_alves? :eek:

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »
    Had been hoping Wenger had plans to snap up Hoilett this summer. Disappointing news.

Who do you think Wenger will sign this Summer?

On paper it doesn't look a bad team. Not sure about Ramsay, Ox and Walcott are ok, if Walcott could use his pace properly.

Is Gibbs good enough?

Verthongen wouldn't have been a bad buy for ye, could cover LB too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

We've already got Podolski.

I expect a keeper we've never heard of to come in as a #2.

And someone like M'Vila but not him as we won't pay a large amount for him.

All of which completely ignores the massive weaknesses we have going forward. van Persie needs decent back up which he won't get and we absolutely need another option than Ramsey/Rosicky in the #10 role. Which we also won't get.

Walcotts off to chelsea

Says that bastion of football knowledge that is Caughtoffside.
    Good work Sgt

Frisbee wrote: »

On paper it doesn't look a bad team. Not sure about Ramsay, Ox and Walcott are ok, if Walcott could use his pace properly.

Is Gibbs good enough?

Verthongen wouldn't have been a bad buy for ye, could cover LB too.

Will Wilshire be back for the start of the new season ?

He's a proper talent to be fair and Would be like a new signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

JPA wrote: »
    He was that price because his contract was up and he is under 23 so it is compensation.

He also played in Germany and scored against monchengladbach so they were well aware of him.

Still surprising though that he wasn't really linked to many English clubs lately.

It would have been significantly higher compensation had he stayed in England, so maybe priced a few out.

Best of look to him over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭DenMan

Will Wilshire be back for the start of the new season ?

He's a proper talent to be fair and Would be like a new signing.

He sure is and I can guarantee Wenger will say that come July/August.

• Advertisement

How much did spurs pay everton for Saha in January ?

Bit strange that he's been released after only a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Hes off to Lille isn't he?

How much did spurs pay everton for Saha in January ?

Bit strange that he's been released after only a few months.

I don't think they paid anything

That would make sense alright.

I'm wondering if the release has anything to do with his tweets after Chelsea won the euro...

He's certainly capable of doing a job at spurs just find it a bit odd he was only given a few months.

He scored a few goals too I think.

That would make sense alright.

I'm wondering if the release has anything to do with his tweets after Chelsea won the euro...

He's certainly capable of doing a job at spurs just find it a bit odd he was only given a few months.

He scored a few goals too I think.

Seems they took over the last 6 months of his contract and Everton got Pienaar on loan. A bit unusual.

• Advertisement
Advertisement