Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB: 2014 Regular Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

So Ollie, kind of interested in what you think of the Brewers now that the Mets go there for 4 games. So have they recovered from their pre-ASG slump or were the Reds just bad these last few days?

Reds were just aweful......Brewers are still a strong team, but I still don't see them as a playoff caliber team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

That hit's on you!

Sorry about that :) He did look really good through 6 2/3 though, not surprising that it was Cano who got the hit.

Plus 2 from 3 against the Mariners is a pretty good result for the Mets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Sorry about that :) He did look really good through 6 2/3 though, not surprising that it was Cano who got the hit.

Plus 2 from 3 against the Mariners is a pretty good result for the Mets.

I'll take any series win on the road and would always be more than happy these days with a .500 road trip so if you offered me a 2-2 split with the Brewers which would mean a 5-5 record for this road trip, I'd gladly accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

I dont know Ollie the Brewers right now are better than the Red's and Cardinals in most Departments and have better pitching than the Pirates. I think they are not quite there yet but with Gomez and Braun in their line up they could well be a playoff team. I still think the Pirates will win the Division if they can get anything from their pitching staff over the next month or so.

I dont know Ollie the Brewers right now are better than the Red's and Cardinals in most Departments and have better pitching than the Pirates. I think they are not quite there yet but with Gomez and Braun in their line up they could well be a playoff team. I still think the Pirates will win the Division if they can get anything from their pitching staff over the next month or so.

Nice win for the Brewers last night. Scoring 9 and only giving up 2 hits is pretty good against any major league team.

• Advertisement

Nice win for the Brewers last night. Scoring 9 and only giving up 2 hits is pretty good against any major league team.

I agree their bats have the ability to beat anyone , their pitching was good last night but you wouldnt fear their rotation as much as the Cards or Reds.

I agree their bats have the ability to beat anyone , their pitching was good last night but you wouldnt fear their rotation as much as the Cards or Reds.

Great division to watch though isn't it. 4 teams equally matched and within shouting distance.

Great division to watch though isn't it. 4 teams equally matched and within shouting distance.

Yeah its shaping up to be even better than last years finish , which was incredible.

Same thing could theoretically happen in the AL East

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Same thing could theoretically happen in the AL East

Jays just took 3 from 4 from the Red Sox in Toronto, and head to the Bronx tonite, then after a series in Houston have the Red Sox and Orioles. If the Sox and Rays can turn it around we could have a 5 horse race for the East, but I think it's Jays, Os and Yanks myself.

The Jays have been pitching better of late, and have been scratching out a few wins waiting for the return of Lawrie, Encarnacion and Lind, all 3 of whom will be back with a week apparently. Brandon Morrow is back throwing from a mound and will hopefully be back soon.

I honestly have no idea if the Jays will trade for anyone. There was talk of Headley, he's now a Yankee. Price is still there but I don't know, I think he'll be too costly. Alex Rios has been mentioned (an unlikely return!) and possibly Hill (another return!) or Prado from the D'backs.

My head and heart both reckon the Yanks will drop off and the Jays and Os will fight it out for the East.

Some interesting trade moves.

Kendrys Morales is back with the Mariners - arguably he should have just gone back there at the start of the season

Jim Johnson has been designated for assignement - Billy Beane spends $10 million on a closer and he has a terrible year with an ERA of just over 6.

• Advertisement

Kendrys Morales is back with the Mariners - arguably he should have just gone back there at the start of the season

Jim Johnson has been designated for assignement - Billy Beane spends $10 million on a closer and he has a terrible year with an ERA of just over 6.

Yeah and the A's are still the best team in baseball! Imagine if he had gotten a good closer!

mod9maple wrote: »
    Jays just took 3 from 4 from the Red Sox in Toronto, and head to the Bronx tonite, then after a series in Houston have the Red Sox and Orioles. If the Sox and Rays can turn it around we could have a 5 horse race for the East, but I think it's Jays, Os and Yanks myself.

The Jays have been pitching better of late, and have been scratching out a few wins waiting for the return of Lawrie, Encarnacion and Lind, all 3 of whom will be back with a week apparently. Brandon Morrow is back throwing from a mound and will hopefully be back soon.

I honestly have no idea if the Jays will trade for anyone. There was talk of Headley, he's now a Yankee. Price is still there but I don't know, I think he'll be too costly. Alex Rios has been mentioned (an unlikely return!) and possibly Hill (another return!) or Prado from the D'backs.

My head and heart both reckon the Yanks will drop off and the Jays and Os will fight it out for the East.

I would agree its the O's and BlueJays that should battle it out, Yankees pitching is surely too weak.

I think the BJays should have enough to come through in the end, fancied them from the start of the season with everyone fit but at the moment I have to say I like what the O's are doing. And all three have done it without great pitching!

Yeah and the A's are still the best team in baseball! Imagine if he had gotten a good closer!

True! Doolittle is doing a pretty good job though - 67 strikeouts to 3 walks is a hell of a record.

Will anyone take a chance on Johnson? I presume the A's are on the hook for his salary and any team that picks him up just has to pay the major league minimum?

As for Morales, how much has this cost him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Will anyone take a chance on Johnson? I presume the A's are on the hook for his salary and any team that picks him up just has to pay the major league minimum?

I can imagine that quite a few teams will be considering him. Despite the awful season this year he was fantastic in the last two years. Always good to get some bullpen help, especially on the cheap.

As for Morales, how much has this cost him?

For Johnson, I would say he will find a team. Bullpens are getting stretched and those in contention will be looking for more help there. I'm not sure what would happen with his salary - the rules around MLB contracts make my head hurt.

For Morales, it probably cost him quite a bit. The reason for not going back to Seattle (they offered $14 million for one year) was that he wanted a multi year deal, which no team was ever going to offer him given his recent health issues. If he stays healthy and plays well for the rest of the season, he might have a shot at a multi year deal but he really does need to stay healthy. The fact that he can only really DH or play 1B doesn't help him either.

For Johnson, I would say he will find a team. Bullpens are getting stretched and those in contention will be looking for more help there. I'm not sure what would happen with his salary - the rules around MLB contracts make my head hurt.

For Morales, it probably cost him quite a bit. The reason for not going back to Seattle (they offered $14 million for one year) was that he wanted a multi year deal, which no team was ever going to offer him given his recent health issues. If he stays healthy and plays well for the rest of the season, he might have a shot at a multi year deal but he really does need to stay healthy. The fact that he can only really DH or play 1B doesn't help him either.

It didnt cost him much. Seattle offered 14m the twins took him on a prorata €12.7m contract, Seattle are just picking up that contract from what I read. Overall he is a good hitter and a good addition to Seattle. Something they really need.

Washington managing to take 2 from 3 in Cinci happy with that, only loss to a gem from Cueto in which neither team could get much going offensively. Starting to find the rythm though and I think if we can get through one of our two bogey teams this week(Marlins) then we will be in a prime position to push on.

Washington managing to take 2 from 3 in Cinci happy with that, only loss to a gem from Cueto in which neither team could get much going offensively. Starting to find the rythm though and I think if we can get through one of our two bogey teams this week(Marlins) then we will be in a prime position to push on.

I can see the Nats pulling away now. They seem to be clicking I think they are too good to be caught in the division anyway.

I'd say Ollie's close to jumping out the window at this stage which is why we haven't heard much from him recently. But despite a horrible run since the ASG, none of their opponents has been lights out either (5-5, 6-4 etc) so they've only lost a couple of games in the standings so all's not lost yet. They need to get back on track soon though, if only for some confidence.

All's quiet on the trade front as well at the moment but hopefully there'll be a deal or two to give the media something to write about before Thursday.

I can see the Nats pulling away now. They seem to be clicking I think they are too good to be caught in the division anyway.

I'd say Ollie's close to jumping out the window at this stage which is why we haven't heard much from him recently. But despite a horrible run since the ASG, none of their opponents has been lights out either (5-5, 6-4 etc) so they've only lost a couple of games in the standings so all's not lost yet. They need to get back on track soon though, if only for some confidence.

All's quiet on the trade front as well at the moment but hopefully there'll be a deal or two to give the media something to write about before Thursday.

I would agree about the reds if they had gone 6-4 they'd be second , instead their fourth and in danger of losing touch.

I agree about the Nats but am always worried about them. I think Bryce is a keystone for us if he can just start being consistant! The pitching looks like its close to the best its been over the last few years if we can just get a few more QS out of Strasbourg.

Big rumours the Lester is going and an even bigger rumour that it might be to the pinstripes.

Big rumours the Lester is going and an even bigger rumour that it might be to the pinstripes.

Have they anything decent to trade though? Isn't their farm system shot at this stage?

• Advertisement

Have they anything decent to trade though? Isn't their farm system shot at this stage?

Money and draft picks(not like they ever use them), looks the Red Sox are going to clean house. Pity they couldnt put together some sort of a defence of their crown, so hard to repeat though.

Money and draft picks(not like they ever use them), looks the Red Sox are going to clean house. Pity they couldnt put together some sort of a defence of their crown, so hard to repeat though.

You're not allowed trade draft picks in MLB. Smaller market teams want to be allowed do it apparently but the rule hadn't been changed yet. Maybe at the next CBA it will be discussed.

I'd be surprised if he went for cash either. It's not the done thing in baseball and the Sox fans would go ballistic as it looks like their rich rivals are patronising them with their money.

You're not allowed trade draft picks in MLB. Smaller market teams want to be allowed do it apparently but the rule hadn't been changed yet. Maybe at the next CBA it will be discussed.

I'd be surprised if he went for cash either. It's not the done thing in baseball and the Sox fans would go ballistic as it looks like their rich rivals are patronising them with their money.

Sorry I should have explained myself better I meant a couple of the high draft picks they took this year. Lindgren and Montgomery could be ready to go in two or three years and are signed.

I'm sure no matter what the Red Sox fans will not want Lester going to NY, thinking about it he probably doesnt want to go there himself.

And for those non baseball fans, basically the Yankees end up buying the best players from other teams and rarely bring draft picks through their farm systems.

Sorry I should have explained myself better I meant a couple of the high draft picks they took this year. Lindgren and Montgomery could be ready to go in two or three years and are signed.

I'm sure no matter what the Red Sox fans will not want Lester going to NY, thinking about it he probably doesnt want to go there himself.

Sorry for being a rules nerd but players can't be traded for a year after either being drafted or a year after they've signed (can't remember which one it is) so you'd have to look at their 2013 class for possible candidates but as I said earlier, I think they're farm system is pretty poor.

When the Mets traded Ike Davis to Pittsburgh in April, one of the guys they got was 'a player to be named later' who didn't move until June when it was a year after he's ben drafted/signed.

I don't know do International signings come under this rule and the Yankees went all in this Summer and signed something like 8 out of the top 15 international prospects so if they're not covered by the one year rule, they could maybe offload some of them? But most of these are usually 16-18 year old kids and years away from the majors it'd be too much of a gamble placing your hopes in them. I'd imagine the success rate on 16 year players from the Dominican Republic or wherever is quite low.

But either way, i can't see the Red Sox trading lester to their hated rivals, no matter how good the offer and as you say, he probably wouldn't want to go there either!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

FYI.....my window isn't high enough.....

Sorry for being a rules nerd but players can't be traded for a year after either being drafted or a year after they've signed (can't remember which one it is) so you'd have to look at their 2013 class for possible candidates but as I said earlier, I think they're farm system is pretty poor.

When the Mets traded Ike Davis to Pittsburgh in April, one of the guys they got was 'a player to be named later' who didn't move until June when it was a year after he's ben drafted/signed.

I don't know do International signings come under this rule and the Yankees went all in this Summer and signed something like 8 out of the top 15 international prospects so if they're not covered by the one year rule, they could maybe offload some of them? But most of these are usually 16-18 year old kids and years away from the majors it'd be too much of a gamble placing your hopes in them. I'd imagine the success rate on 16 year players from the Dominican Republic or wherever is quite low.

But either way, i can't see the Red Sox trading lester to their hated rivals, no matter how good the offer and as you say, he probably wouldn't want to go there either!

I had no idea about that Jack thanks for the info, its always something I meant to look into deeper.

Anyway looks like the rumour mill is saying the Dodgers is a landing spot for Lester with Kemp going the other way and the Red Sox hoping to pick lester back up next season and keep Kemp. Not a bad move for both teams.

Damn fecking Marlins!!!!

Damn fecking Marlins!!!!

That was some finish last night alright. I presume it was just one bad night at the office for the bullpen.

I hate the Marlins too, they always seem to do well again the Mets even when they're getting hammered by everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

So anyone fancy playing the Lester Sweepstakes? Where will he end up? I'm going to say Dodgers.

• Advertisement

mod9maple wrote: »
    So anyone fancy playing the Lester Sweepstakes? Where will he end up? I'm going to say Dodgers.

Today should be interesting and I'd imagine Twitter will be a good place to follow for rumours and news on breaking deals. Will there be many though do you reckon? Lester/Price probably on the move but I love the shock move that comes out of no where.

Advertisement