Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So you are too old/fat/unfit/ *delete as appropriate* to play?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭peewee18988

Hey guys

Finally got myself onto a team in Dublin. Actually, I have joined a Gaelic football team and a separate hurling team. Training starts in a few weeks.

Is anyone doing some pre-season exercise to get ready for training? i know the weather is awful but would love to do some work before I start with the new teams.

P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Redhand

great thread - i'm 35 years old and tortured with back trouble and shin splints though reading this has maybe give me a kick up the backside - might head to the gym this week and start all over again :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

My update: Did a few nights in the gym before Christmas but it all went Pete Tong for a few weeks during the holidays but I'm back in the swing of it again. First training session starts this Friday. Anyone know a masseuse? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Christyvpl

Hi All,

Good thread. It's go to hear that other people are thinking of getting into hurling at a similar age to me, however there seems to be a lack of absolute beginners. I was living over seas and never really got the chance to join a team of any discription. Now that I'm back, I would really like to take the opportunity to give it a go.

I'm moderately fit, do a few tris and mtn running. I have played squash and tennis in the past, so the hand/eye is ok. I have a hurl and can run with the ball on the stick for 40/50m or so and really enjoy pucing around when I can find someone to do it with. So I think, given the chance and a bit of training I could pick up the skills necessary to give it a lash.

I played rugby in school, so don't have many friends into GAA. I live close to stillorgan and someone mentioned to me that Kilmacud Crokes was a big club and that they would have lots of teams. Does anyone know anything about the club?

I really looking for a low level team to enjoy the sport, get fit and have a bit of craic.

Any advice on any of the above would be greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭TheWestsAwake

Hey folks

Ranelagh Gaels may be the team that might suit a lot of you, they have a Junior team and a ladies team. They are also in the process of organising a hurling team.

The lads are back training 2 or 3 weeks now, and the ladies are due to start back on the 4'th of Feb.

http://www.ranelaghgaels.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gingy

Christyvpl wrote: »
    Hi All,

Good thread. It's go to hear that other people are thinking of getting into hurling at a similar age to me, however there seems to be a lack of absolute beginners. I was living over seas and never really got the chance to join a team of any discription. Now that I'm back, I would really like to take the opportunity to give it a go.

I'm moderately fit, do a few tris and mtn running. I have played squash and tennis in the past, so the hand/eye is ok. I have a hurl and can run with the ball on the stick for 40/50m or so and really enjoy pucing around when I can find someone to do it with. So I think, given the chance and a bit of training I could pick up the skills necessary to give it a lash.

I played rugby in school, so don't have many friends into GAA. I live close to stillorgan and someone mentioned to me that Kilmacud Crokes was a big club and that they would have lots of teams. Does anyone know anything about the club?

I really looking for a low level team to enjoy the sport, get fit and have a bit of craic.

Any advice on any of the above would be greatly appreciated.

Howya Christy, Crokes have a team in AHL8, which is the lowest division there is, so that would be ideal and they'll be starting back in about 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Christyvpl

Thanks Gingy.

I'll head down there and check it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Time for an update (now i have time for it!) as i should be the first to do so and will expect others to follow suit :)

So after returning to football in october while carrying my achilles tendon injuries i started seeing a neuromuscular therapist and he worked wonders, where i could not run a lap to save my life with the injury at the worst after a few sessions with him i only had to take one or two breaks for a few mins per session to stretch the leg out.

Coming back after over a year (closer to two actually) out i had alot of worries and the first few sessions where before i would have knocked them over in my sleep i was kicking on target but it was dropping short, three sessions a week in the gym with the leg weights soon put paid to that, i saw an improvement not only in the kicking but also the max weight on the seated leg press is 150KG and i tell you now i will never forget the first time i hit the max weight on it :D

So we had a few friendlies and gelled as a team pretty well, one of the highlights of the league though (colleges league) was beating our rivals jordanstowns thirds, now although that sounds silly being happy to beat a teams thirds, we werent even expecting to beat them ourselves, so shocking was our win that normally the home team puts on a meal for the away team and they were that disgusted they f*cked off back to belfast with their tails between their legs and we tucked into their food :D

We eventually made it to the quarter finals and were beaten by gmit letterfrack, i wont lie it wasnt ours to win in the end but it was close with two late-ish points on their behalf to seal the deal for them, i am dying to slam the ref as he made some seriously bad calls and 90% of them went against us but im sure it would sound like sour grapes

To sum up, lots of pain and money on the therapist would i do it again? You bet your arse i would

So share yours :)

Janey mack lads nobody anything to share on their progress??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭cards

I'm 32 and fairly fit, don't drink or smoke and would love to go back playing hurling.I played up until about 16 but was never that good. Wasn't totally useless either but would have been a sub mostly rather than a regular player.:rolleyes:
    Anyway, I've recently moved back to a rural location and they have several hurling teams. One is a junior c hurling team. What is the standard likely to be and would they welcome new members at that level? thanks.

cards wrote: »
    I'm 32 and fairly fit, don't drink or smoke and would love to go back playing hurling.I played up until about 16 but was never that good. Wasn't totally useless either but would have been a sub mostly rather than a regular player.:rolleyes:
    Anyway, I've recently moved back to a rural location and they have several hurling teams. One is a junior c hurling team. What is the standard likely to be and would they welcome new members at that level? thanks.

Sorry only saw this now, well firstly most teams across the land are grateful for more bodies for numerous reasons, i will be honest i am a size 5 man myself but i wouldnt say junior c would be elite players like. In short go for it what harm can you do?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Considering giving football a go again.
    Havent played since I was 15/16.

26 and 17.5 stone currently.
    Not great fitness or skill though.

Im based in sandyford industrial estate.

Any idea what level or club I could aim at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

castie wrote: »
    Considering giving football a go again.
    Havent played since I was 15/16.

26 and 17.5 stone currently.
    Not great fitness or skill though.

Im based in sandyford industrial estate.

Any idea what level or club I could aim at?

Naomh Olaf are based in Sandyford Industrial Estate and have a team in division 9 which might be a good option. It might be a bit late to join for this year though as the season is well underway.

Here's their website anyway: http://naomholaf.ie/home.html

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

An Citeog wrote: »
    Naomh Olaf are based in Sandyford Industrial Estate and have a team in division 9 which might be a good option. It might be a bit late to join for this year though as the season is well underway.

Here's their website anyway: http://naomholaf.ie/home.html

Any idea what nights they train?

castie wrote: »
    Any idea what nights they train?

No idea, sorry. I don't know much about the club itself. Your best bet would probably be to phone/email the club or just take a stroll down there some evening and ask a few people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭petermijackson

It might be a bit late to join for this year though as the season is well underway.

It's never too late to join that team - even if it's only just to meet a few of the lads there. Sorry no idea when they train or if they train but drop down the clubhouse any evening and they will be able to put you in touch with whoever is over the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

Geraldines P Moran are looking for senior players based in Cornelscourt beside Dunnes Stores. Division 10 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭slingerz

any tips on getting the fitness back??

badly broke my leg playing a couple years ago and well i wouldnt be the cover model on mens health. i'm trying away with the club and did make an appearance in the opening round of championship but now as the pace quickens in both the practice and league games i find myself breathing hard.

need to lose about a stone to a stone and a half but there must be someone out there with the knowledge to provide some guidance on fitness

slingerz wrote: »
    any tips on getting the fitness back??

badly broke my leg playing a couple years ago and well i wouldnt be the cover model on mens health. i'm trying away with the club and did make an appearance in the opening round of championship but now as the pace quickens in both the practice and league games i find myself breathing hard.

need to lose about a stone to a stone and a half but there must be someone out there with the knowledge to provide some guidance on fitness

Your best bet is to get out by yourself and do a bit extra, either on the road/grass or in the gym. Seeing as you're back playing, I'm assuming that you're fully recovered. Your diet is massively important aswell. The fitness forum is your best bet for advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

I'm 21 & in relatively good shape (I jog 5k frequently enough)

I played soccer loads when I was younger, but now I'd love to give GAA football a lash, I'm really getting into it now!!!:)

But I'm living in Glenageary, a little awkward on location.

Can anyone recommend me a place that may accept me, dispite my lack of experience?
    Cuala I suppose is my best bet.

& how does it usually go, do I train with an adult beginners squad, or with a senior 3rd team...or with a bunch of 10 year olds!!:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I'm 25 but kinda unfit, just too lazy to exercise but I'm not fat or too skinny by any means! Never have been much into exercise only very light exercise! Did cycle when I was younger though. Use to play badminton and tennis. Didnt fair well in any other sport other than them and the ould trampoline! Love GAA but found it tough to play!

Ok, I think cuala are for kids, my mistake.

Can anyone still help me out?:)

Anyone?:(

Jay1989 wrote: »
    Anyone?:(

Sorry jay hadnt seen your posts here until now, the only club i would know of in that area would be cuala not sure of any others around the area but i am sure there are, if worst comes to worst why dont you contact the cuala lads and ask them see the site below for the contact details i am sure they will help you out as best they can

http://www.cualagaa.ie/

The other part of your post i would say you would play with the reserves or lower teams but the lads would be in your age group until you improve your game to the point of making one of the upper teams but it would depend on the club itself and the setup they have there

Thanks GAAman, great info, I was always a little too shy to call, but I have NO excuses now!!:D

Jay1989 wrote: »
    Thanks GAAman, great info, I was always a little too shy to call, but I have NO excuses now!!:D

Have said it alot on this thread and even more in real life, GO FOR IT!!! :D

Have not played competitive sport since I was 20 .. 31 now is that too late to start playing again ? Living in drogheda now would love to start up with local GAA side.

Have not played competitive sport since I was 20 .. 31 now is that too late to start playing again ? Living in drogheda now would love to start up with local GAA side.

Never too late as long as you have the fire in your belly :) Check out my first post on this thread below for the boards folder, unzip this folder and there is a louth page with info on all the clubs i could find online if i recall when i did the lists i made them all hyperlinks where possible to the clubs websites

If info isnt available there find out what clubs are in your area and come back to us sure :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59731298&postcount=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

im looking to gget back to playing ball i havent played for 15 years and am a bit out of shape but been out running and that so getting the fitness back up. are there any clubs around kimmage that would suit me?

im looking to gget back to playing ball i havent played for 15 years and am a bit out of shape but been out running and that so getting the fitness back up. are there any clubs around kimmage that would suit me?

Two clubs in the area and i know them well being a crumlin/kimmage man myself

You have Crumlin who play out of lorcan o toole park and St James who play in the Guinness grounds on the crumlin road.

Both clubs welcome new members and im sure would be happy to have you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

GAAman wrote: »
    Two clubs in the area and i know them well being a crumlin/kimmage man myself

You have Crumlin who play out of lorcan o toole park and St James who play in the Guinness grounds on the crumlin road.

Both clubs welcome new members and im sure would be happy to have you :)

thanks for that il get the fitness back up abit then give them a shout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

St James Gaels have commenced pre season training on Wednesday (13TH Oct) for next season and we are inviting new members(playing and non playing) to join our club. We have 2 adult men teams, a Junior A team and Junior C team. We are based southside in Iveagh Grounds on Crumlin Road about 15-20 minutes from city centre. 77,77a,50,150,151 buses pass the pitch,17,18,121,122,123 buses go near the pitch as well.
    We have excellent floodlight training facilities and floodlite pitch. All welcome, for more information check our club website info@stjamesgaels.com or my email axelf82@hotmail.com

Gael85 wrote: »
    St James Gaels have commenced pre season training on Wednesday (13TH Oct) for next season and we are inviting new members(playing and non playing) to join our club. We have 2 adult men teams, a Junior A team and Junior C team. We are based southside in Iveagh Grounds on Crumlin Road about 15-20 minutes from city centre. 77,77a,50,150,151 buses pass the pitch,17,18,121,122,123 buses go near the pitch as well.
    We have excellent floodlight training facilities and floodlite pitch. All welcome, for more information check our club website info@stjamesgaels.com or my email axelf82@hotmail.com

Fantastic info there Gael85 thanks a million :)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭marko_polo1234

Hi guys,
    have any of you guys heard of the game of handball?
    Handball is the oldest and easiest GAA game of them all!
    All you need is a ball and a wall!

oh yeah one more... Handball is a sport for life...ANY AGE and ANY FITNESS LEVEL and ANYONE CAN PLAY!
    check out: http://www.gaahandball.ie for more.

It really is so simple and enjoyable to play!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

have any of you guys heard of the game of handball?

Did you really just ask that question on a GAA board?

Peace wrote: »

Peace, be peaceful! :p

But marko is new enough so i will just point out this thread

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055535015&highlight=handball

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭marko_polo1234

Peace wrote: »

Handball is a GAA game, the name of the organisation that runs it is GAA Handball! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

When does the pre season start for the likes of Junior B hurling and football? I'm presuming mid to late January?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

eroo wrote: »
    When does the pre season start for the likes of Junior B hurling and football? I'm presuming mid to late January?

Some clubs may not start back until early Feb. Best to contact the relevant manager/selector.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Pre-season for Junior B where I'm from is usually meeting the lads in the pub on St. Patricks day and say (after a few pints) "lads we'll go back early this year and give it a right rattle", have about 40 to training for the first month or so, lucky to have 8 2 weeks before the championship

Club Name:St James Gaels
    Code (hurling/football/handball): Football
    Level played:Junior A,Junior C,Minor,U16,U14,U12,U10,U8
    Contact detail
    stjamesgaels.com or axelf82@hotmail.com
    Any other info: St James Gaels will commence pre season training for next season in early January and we are inviting new members(playing and non playing) to join our club. We have 2 adult men teams, a Junior A team and Junior C team.The second team is a social team which is for lads looking for game. We are based southside in Iveagh Grounds on Crumlin Road about 15-20 minutes from city centre. 77,77a,50,150,151 buses pass the pitch,17,18,121,122,123 buses go near the pitch as well.
    We have excellent floodlight training facilities,astro pitch training pitch and floodlite pitch.

axelf82@hotmail.com

Club Name:St James Gaels
    Code (football): Football
    Level played:Junior A,Junior C,Minor,U16,U14,U12,U10,U8
    Contact details:
    stjamesgaels.com or axelf82@hotmail.com
    Any other info: St James Gaels will commence pre season training for next season in early January and we are inviting new members(playing and non playing) to join our club. We have 2 adult men football teams, a Junior A team and Junior C team.The second team is a social team which is for lads looking for game. We are based southside in Iveagh Grounds on Crumlin Road about 15-20 minutes from city centre. 77,77a,50,150,151 buses pass the pitch,17,18,121,122,123 buses go near the pitch as well.
    We have excellent floodlight training facilities,astro pitch training pitch and floodlite pitch.

axelf82@hotmail.com

sorry lads forget to specify we only have football teams,not hurling and handball

• Registered Users Posts: 35 b2dadizzle

Hi guys, great thread. I'm from Carlow, and the local club is Mount Leinster Rangers. I played constantly until minor grade, even playing for the county on a couple of occasions, so I wasn't too bad at football. Terrible at hurling though. Since then, work, university, love, laziness, and a constant illness (ibs) has prevented me from playing no more than a couple of junior football games in the last 10 years. But now, I'm raring to get back playing. The club mainly concentrates on hurling, even then it's senior hurling. So there are no training sessions for the junior teams. Basically, it's just a case of turning up for a game, and hoping to get picked. My main issue is getting fit on my own. I know running will help, and i'm gonna go for it. However, I'm as skinny as a pen, mainly due to the illness. I'm 11.5 stone in weight and 6 foot 2 inches tall. I want to buil muscle before I go back playing, as I'm worried that some 20 stone farmer will break me in half with a shoulder. Anyone advise me on exercises to do at home, I've only got a set of dumbells.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 RightHalfBack

Anytime i have trained on my own I found doing interval runs on a threadmill a very good way to build up a good fitness base.

So to start you could try,
    run two minutes at a slow pace (8km per hour) then one minute at a faster pace (between 12 & 16 km per hour) then repeat the cycle 10 times, so a 30 minute run overall

breaks up the monotony of running by yourself too.

For the weights I have always done lots of lateral raises, and regular press ups..
    Also you can get these chin\press up bars in Elverys i think for around 30euro that are really good,

A skipping rope could be good to develope a bit of foot speed and coordination also (then that 20st farmer wont even be able ot get close to you :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

p90x is a right good workout scheme. high intensity interval training is the way to go give it a google.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

oh its a sticky was a little confused their for a min .. good sticky :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Just wondering how physical Junior B/C hurling gets. I ask because I'm not allowed play contact sports (because of brain surgery 6 years ago). But I'm thinking if I wore a helmet I might be OK at a fairly low level of hurling. Played as a kid and loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 RightHalfBack

Just wondering how physical Junior B/C hurling gets. I ask because I'm not allowed play contact sports (because of brain surgery 6 years ago). But I'm thinking if I wore a helmet I might be OK at a fairly low level of hurling. Played as a kid and loved it.

jez sometimes the hits can actually be harder\later at lower levels, id say you could join a club for training and just do the drills for a while and see how you get on..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 murphy93

My da and uncle both late 40's are still clickling the young butts on the parc so maybe 50 is the top age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Great Thread!
    Finaly plucked up the balls to get back Hurling after an eleven year break!
    Im 32 this year so its a long wait!
    Trained thursday night for the first time and was pleasently surprised by my touch and fitness managed to stay with the pack in training and hope to realy give it a good go for the season and more!
    Granted its Junior A but i cant explain how good it felt to just pull on a sliotar in anger!
    The welcome back was great bit of banter but full support i realy dont think youd get it in any other sport!

• Advertisement
Advertisement