Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Orwell Randonnee 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭glennbhoy

Carrot cake !!!!!

First :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Orwell Randonnee

It would not be the Orwell Randonnee if we did not have the famous Carrot Cake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

Same route as last year? Can you turn down the wind slightly?

To keep things interesting some changes have been made to the route. The details of the route etc will be announced later this week or early next week on the club website, we will also put the details up here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

To keep things interesting some changes have been made to the route.

Did you feel last year was too flat? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

When I asked someone about the Orwell Randonnée last year before doing it (and loving it and splurging on carrot cake and loving that too) they described it to me as "like the Wicklow 200 but without the flat bits" :)

daragh_ wrote: »
    Did you feel last year was too flat? :D

Daragh. We did add a few interesting bits 😄

When I asked someone about the Orwell Randonnée last year before doing it (and loving it and splurging on carrot cake and loving that too) they described it to me as "like the Wicklow 200 but without the flat bits" :)

I'm glad you enjoyed it. You will be able to say the same about this year as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

Great event, first time last year, a tough test but very enjoyable. Defiantly up there with the best of them.

greenmat wrote: »
    Great event, first time last year, a tough test but very enjoyable. Defiantly up there with the best of them.

Glad to see that you enjoyed it. Hope to see you this year as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Question for OP, are you planning on holding the event same weekend as last year, the Saturday of the May bank holiday weekend?

Folks

Just to let you know the details of the Randonnee are now available on the club website http://www.orwellwheelers.org/news-and-events/584-orwell-randonnee-2014

bazermc wrote: »
    Question for OP, are you planning on holding the event same weekend as last year, the Saturday of the May bank holiday weekend?

Bazermc: Yes, we are holding it on the same weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

Folks

Just to let you know the details of the Randonnee are now available on the club website http://www.orwellwheelers.org/news-and-events/584-orwell-randonnee-2014

:) I'm entered! great event, did it the last couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

I like that new course :)
    Where is the new feed stop going to be?

Briando wrote: »
    I like that new course :)
    Where is the new feed stop going to be?

I'm glad you like the new route, hopefully you will think the same afterwards. The food stop will be in Laragh this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bellinter

signed up. Looking forward to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Signed up. Liking the new route.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Also signed up and liking the route. I'd like to pretend I'll miss struggling up the wall, but in all honesty....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

smacl wrote: »
    Also signed up and liking the route. I'd like to pretend I'll miss struggling up the wall, but in all honesty....

I cried like a little girl, when I saw that wall. Delighted, it's not in, this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I cried like a little girl, when I saw that wall. Delighted, it's not in, this year.

I think the Wall was the only place I passed out people last year...cue 100k of being overtaken while I cried into that headwind :P

I'll miss the Wall but that stretch down the back of the Valley to the entrance of the Waterfall is terrible. Surface gets worse every year. Happy it's not in this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭sled driver

I'll miss the Wall but that stretch down the back of the Valley to the entrance of the Waterfall is terrible. Surface gets worse every year. Happy it's not in this year.

Unless I'm mistaken, I think that stretch is on the route !

Yep, think it is ok, just no nasty turn off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭goose06

smacl wrote: »
    Yep, think it is ok, just no nasty turn off.

Plenty of time left to amend the route!

whoops. My bad. Thought we were going down the other side.

Well watch out for gravel, holes and me grumbling :rolleyes:

We may as well go up the Wall while we are there. Shame not to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭sled driver

And rogue bidons. I rattled so much going down there a few years ago, I lost both !!

whoops. My bad. Thought we were going down the other side.

We may as well go up the Wall while we are there. Shame not to.

294050.jpg

Signed up, was a killer last year because of the wind but really looking forward to this route.

• Advertisement

goose06 wrote: »
    Plenty of time left to amend the route!

We will be monitoring the road surface over the coming weeks and if required an alternative route will be looked at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭goose06

We will be monitoring the road surface over the coming weeks and if required an alternative route will be looked at

I meant to add in the Wall rather than avoid that section of road :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 WHEELSX2

Disappointed the Orwell route has changed so drastically... the wall, luggala and shay Elliott in one cycle - not on any other sportive/randonee... not to mention the stunning scenery... the little exclusive Greenane food stop... shur it was just class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,963 ✭✭✭billyhead

Is the new route easier compared to last year? I did last years and it was tough in spots but not too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Ghosty669

WHEELSX2 wrote: »
    Disappointed the Orwell route has changed so drastically... the wall, luggala and shay Elliott in one cycle - not on any other sportive/randonee... not to mention the stunning scenery... the little exclusive Greenane food stop... shur it was just class.

Thanks for the feedback. We felt it was time to make a change to the route this year to freshen things up. It's one of the things that we think can kill an event when you do the same course every year but don't worry: we think this is actually harder than last years course.
    Riders will still be able to experience the stunning scenery assuming the weather is with us and we've got a nice spot picked out in Laragh for all your carrot cake needs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭eoghan84

I know last year I got a bit of a hammering by that wind that took a good bit out of me, but I really loved doing this event, especially as it was a little bit into the long evenings and it kicked off the buzzing for the summer. thanks for organising it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

Really disappointed i missed this event last year and i'm really looking forward to it this year. Great to see that its in aid of the Ross Nugent foundation again such a great cause, we will be doing a four day event for the same charity a couple of weeks later and the Randonnee will be a great warm up

billyhead wrote: »
    Is the new route easier compared to last year? I did last years and it was tough in spots but not too bad

billyhead: The route this year is different but it is not easier - some people may find it tougher.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Ghosty669

billyhead: The route this year is different but it is not easier - some people may find it tougher.

Just had a quick look there and there's an extra 400m of climbing compared to last years event.

Don't worry billyhead: we'll make sure that the chipper is open early enough for you should you get back quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Diamond_25

looking forward to it already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 WHEELSX2

Ghosty669 wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback. We felt it was time to make a change to the route this year to freshen things up. It's one of the things that we think can kill an event when you do the same course every year but don't worry: we think this is actually harder than last years course.
    Riders will still be able to experience the stunning scenery assuming the weather is with us and we've got a nice spot picked out in Laragh for all your carrot cake needs!

Thanks Ghosty669, I can see that a Club should always seek to keep a route interesting especially if it is boring in the first place. The great attraction of the Orwell Randonee IMO was the unique challenge of the route including the Wall (forever in my memory) followed by Djouce followed by Lugalla, then Shay Elliott and then the best food stop of any Sportive. The last word to be used for such a route is boring. So why change something that works very well and is unique to Orwell and replace it with an average route that we all cycle on a regular basis? Change for change sake perhaps. A retrograde step IMO but wish you well nevertheless as it is a fine Club and always puts on a great event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

WHEELSX2 wrote: »
    Thanks Ghosty669, I can see that a Club should always seek to keep a route interesting especially if it is boring in the first place. The great attraction of the Orwell Randonee IMO was the unique challenge of the route including the Wall (forever in my memory) followed by Djouce followed by Lugalla, then Shay Elliott and then the best food stop of any Sportive. The last word to be used for such a route is boring. So why change something that works very well and is unique to Orwell and replace it with an average route that we all cycle on a regular basis? Change for change sake perhaps. A retrograde step IMO but wish you well nevertheless as it is a fine Club and always puts on a great event.

Average route we all cycle on a regular basis? Who exactly is "we all"? Or do you mean yourself?

I certainly don't cycle it regularly and welcome the change, spreads the pain more evenly throughout the route.

Folks

If you are trying to download the route to your GPS device the following is a link to the route on a different mapping site. This new site appears to have an easier interface for downloading the routes.

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/BRTWebUI

Regards

Orwell Randonnee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

greenmat wrote: »

Join up again this year?

Edit: Defo leave the deep sections at home this year. Nearly took flight a number of times last year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Join up again this year?

Edit: Defo leave the deep sections at home this year. Nearly took flight a number of times last year!

Plan to, was a great test last year. Yea that crosswind up the gap was something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

My wife and baby son get back from almost three weeks away the day before this. Hmmm... tough decision as to what I should do. Not really. Great event. Great company. Super marshals and food. Entered!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭Consey

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Join up again this year?

Ah yes, remember those from last year. We were leaning at almost 45 degrees into the crosswinds and those deep sections gave our little group some entertainment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,963 ✭✭✭billyhead

Was going to do this again this year but got a lift with another participant last year who cannot do it this year. I will be coming from North County Dublin and will have to get the dart. Whats the nearest stop to the start at St Benildus college and how far is it and if possibly could someone give directions from the dart station? Just preparing in advance:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

billyhead wrote: »
    Was going to do this again this year but got a lift with another participant last year who cannot do it this year. I will be coming from North County Dublin and will have to get the dart. Whats the nearest stop to the start at St Benildus college and how far is it and if possibly could someone give directions from the dart station? Just preparing in advance:D

LUAS green line (Stillorgan stop) will drop you on the doorstep, Benildus is 2 mins away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

LUAS green line (Stillorgan stop) will drop you on the doorstep, Benildus is 2 mins away.

But you can't bring bikes on the Luas.

Blackrock looks closest on the map: http://goo.gl/maps/qWUKR

• Advertisement
Advertisement