Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Reviews

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Pinnacle Gym has a review a couple of pages back.

If you're getting into weights it's the definitely the place to join.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭ADO

cool......have u been there urself? does anyone have any contact details for this gym so i could give them a ring ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭JayRoc

ADO wrote:
    cool......have u been there urself? does anyone have any contact details for this gym so i could give them a ring ?
    Here ya go: 01-4789252.
    Several people from boards are members.

It's a great place, really well equipped as regards the resistance side of things, and peopled by lads of varying shapes, sizes and experience.
    Can't recommend the place highly enough, to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

ADO wrote:

Yep and it's a great place.
    Everything you need or could even think of is there!

JayRoc wrote:
    Here ya go: 01-4789252.
    Several people from boards are members.

It's a great place, really well equipped as regards the resistance side of things, and peopled by lads of varying shapes, sizes and experience.
    Can't recommend the place highly enough, to be honest.

ah thats cool to know, im a bit skinny so could do with "bulking" up a bit, i tried to ring that number a good few times today but there has been no answer....any other numbers or e-mail address ?

• Advertisement

ok so i got trough to them and the girl that answered seems very friendly ;) gonna go for the six month contract €300 !! which i think is brilliant !! and hopefully ill be starting there next monday !! going to go in on friday and signup. Thanks a mill for the advice lads :)

let the games begin !

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Cailinor

I was a member of Jackie Skelly in Clarendon st for 6 monthsand I found it to be a great gym (as long as you avoided peak time 6-7pm) Great equipment (although I wouldn't know much about free weights) and one or two good trainers.
    If you had an enquiry for the receptionist or a rep though it was a nightmare. I felt like a walking fee rather than a member, and to be honest I thought the people (apart from the odd trainer) were quite rude, ignorant and unprofessional.
    The pool (25m) was nice although never deep enough to stand in. The jacuzzi could knock you out with the fumes of chlorine or whatever they put in to make suds.
    Nice sauna, good changing rooms, a wet one downstairs and a dry one upstairs. They also had some good lunchtime and evening classes.

Altogether I found this to be a gym with great facilities (always clean and weights always in their proper places) but the attitude of the staff (some exceptions) towards members leaves a lot to be desired.

I am now living in IFSC and wondering has anyone tried out the two gyms in Custom House Square, The Clarion looks like your average hotel gym but apparently the equipment is top notch? I think 70e monthly is also too expensive for a hotel gym!? then there's a cheaper option (cant think of the name) thats 395e in one go for the year (seems like great value) but looks fairly crap ( and no pool). anyone tried these out? or are there any other gyms close by to recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Just started work next door to DCU and was wondering is the gym open to non students and if not are there any good ones in the vicinity - I would be training at lunch time so they would have to be close. Had a look at Northwood - nice setup but too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

muletide wrote:
    Just started work next door to DCU and was wondering is the gym open to non students and if not are there any good ones in the vicinity - I would be training at lunch time so they would have to be close. Had a look at Northwood - nice setup but too far.
    yep it is open to non members think its 600 quid but well woth it.they have just built another free weights area which is really good and the pool is fantastic.Its worth a look and ask for Noreen if your getting a tour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Roy Was Right

Hi
    I am in the process of moving to Naas and looking for a gym to join.
    Anybody have any recommendations for the region?
    I looked at Naas Health and Fitness and the Osprey, are there any other good ones around ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

yep it is open to non members think its 600 quid but well woth it.they have just built another free weights area which is really good and the pool is fantastic.Its worth a look and ask for Noreen if your getting a tour

Thanks a million for the reply will go check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

Hi
    I looked at Naas Health and Fitness and the Osprey, are there any other good ones around ?

Osprey is nice lots of machines never packed dumbells go to 35kg i think and you have use of the spa area/snow room/sauna/steam room and a rack of other rooms tumbs up but a bit pricey.

No too sure about the monread havent really seen much of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭burnedfaceman

Jon wrote:
    Total Fitness Castleknock
    My take on this gym. I joined it last year after membership in Westpoint expired.
    I trained most morning's in it, for size and space its perfect. Training early morning I never had a problem with space.
    My first impression was - it's huge!
    Loads of decent machines upstairs and plenty of free weight in the weights room. Plenty of cardio machines also - so thumbs up for machines, weights and plenty of them.

The down side:
    The weights room was always a mess. Plenty of weights, but you'd spend your morning trying to match up dumbells. They were tossed all over the place from the previous nights work out. The benches are next to impossible to move around, trying to get one under the smith machine was a work out in itelf and the foam on most of them is ripped and stinks. The smith machine was dangerous but they've since upgraded it. They also got new dumbells since a guy nearly lost this finger using one - they're still scattered all over the kip.

SHOWERS:
    The showers dribble on you. The only decent shower is the one for the disabled. The changing rooms aren't great, kind of grubby. The same mat has been on the floor for the past few years and has a dark deep layer of grime spread evenly across it. This seperates the Urinal from the rest of the changing rooms, so hell only knows what lives on that mat!
    The lockers are ok, there's been the same manky stain across many of them for the past few months where a guys post-work out shake exploded all over them :D.

All in all, I wasn't over impressed with the set up. Especially having just come from Westpoint which was cheaper. Sure the heavier dumbells were a ppleasure to have but you spent more time searching for them than anything else.

place is fine in mornings but would stay away from early afternoon onwards, place is also full of criminals some have been in media lately and if you plan on going to lift prepare yourself to see these smug scumbags walking around weights section conduct their affairs on mobiles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 deca

place is fine in mornings but would stay away from early afternoon onwards, place is also full of criminals some have been in media lately and if you plan on going to lift prepare yourself to see these smug scumbags walking around weights section conduct their affairs on mobiles
    its not pretty, but its a place to train, talking about criminals? get a ****in life, why don't u concentrate on ur training instead of watching evryone else,DICK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

deca wrote:
    its not pretty, but its a place to train, talking about criminals? get a ****in life, why don't u concentrate on ur training instead of watching evryone else,DICK

Deca banned for personnal abuse. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

Hehe yup back in d day that place was a whos who of dublins criminals. I remember one time a bloke who had a few warrants out for him got lifted out of there mid workout, about 15 coppers stormed the place and literally lifted him out of there shouting and screaming and he was a big boy too. I wont even tell you where trollybus (who posts here) got his name...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 mogsy

yeah im a member over there as well, place is grand but it does get packed in evening. would have to agree with burnedfaceman place is full of criminals..

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Brown_Eyed_Girl

Hi

Hi Roy I have been a member of both of these gyms, and the one thing that I would say about the Osprey is thats its too small, fine for a hotel gym but not much else.

I have been a member of Naas Health a Fitness in the past and have gone back to them now. It has a fairly decent gym with plenty of equipment, and two free weight areas. The pool is nice and big and the steam room sauna jacussi are fairly standard, and always lovely and clean, and there is plenty of dressing room space. Not sure about the instructors there as I do my own thing, but they seem grand if you ask them about stuff and leave you to your own devices if you dont. Hope this helps, I am sure if you ring them they will send you out a voucher for a free demo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

I was in the gym at the clarion hotel in Liffey Valley last week.

Wouldnt be for me as im too lazy but looks great

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bicepsman

Looking FOR a Good GYM in in Dublin city centre....with
    with dumbells up to 50kg.all the usually hardcore squat , bench, smithmachine
    Clean place..
    willing to pay up to €80 a month for the right place.
    have good opening times///6.00am start thereabouts and good weekend hours...at least to 9am to 8pm

I have seen some bad places in dublin that people call gyms..
    - the Olympus gym on Capel st---- rusty equipment... dirty too
    - the Hercules ... is not that great...rusty equipment..cant train downstairs after 7.30 pm due to the neighbours--- oh my god
    - Powerhouse ... man there is rust and there is rust..and
    there should be a Government Agency to monitors GYMS

Are there any proper hardcore gyms-- what happened to hygiene and good non-rusty equipment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Try Pinnacle gym off Camden Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

bicepsman wrote:
    Clean place..
    have good opening times///6.00am start thereabouts and good weekend hours...at least to 9am to 8pm

- the Hercules ... is not that great...rusty equipment..cant train downstairs after 7.30 pm due to the neighbours--- oh my god

Are there any proper hardcore gyms-- what happened to hygiene and good non-rusty equipment.

No offence dude but are you taking the piss??

I can't say all that much about the other gyms but Hercs is without a doubt the strongest gym in Ireland, it literally doesn't get much more hardcore than that!! It's funny how that rusty equipment is ok for those 300kg+ squatters, 200kg+ benchers and those deadlifting triple bodyweight(ya know the hardcore lads)but not for you!! Serioulsy though, if you want 'proper' hardcore then thats what you're stuck with!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Cailinor wrote:
    I am now living in IFSC and wondering has anyone tried out the two gyms in Custom House Square, The Clarion looks like your average hotel gym but apparently the equipment is top notch? I think 70e monthly is also too expensive for a hotel gym!? then there's a cheaper option (cant think of the name) thats 395e in one go for the year (seems like great value) but looks fairly crap ( and no pool). anyone tried these out? or are there any other gyms close by to recommend?

The cheaper one is SV Fitness. I have been a member there for almost 2 years. The place is pretty busy during day time, yes no pool but the equipments work as great as they should. Staff are helpful and friendly. They do many free classes during the day and you can also join paid classes like pilates, salsa and boxing. They used to open in the weekends but not any more since about a year ago due to low volume of people coming in. Likely because many members are workers in IFSC rather who live there.

Marty

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

bicepsman wrote:
    Clean place..

I REALLY, REALLY hope you're taking the fcuking piss.

If you know ANYTHING about "Hardcore" then you'd know Hercs is the best gym in Ireland.

It's funny how you talk about rusty equipment. Last time I checked Hercs had the most expensive lifting equipment in the country.

Here's a really simple breakdown of the powerlifting equipment ONLY; (now keep in mind there's also about €10,000 worth of olympic lifting equipment, including 2 €1,000 bars, another 800ish kg worth of plates, dumbbells that go up to 75kg AND all the other "normal" stuff you'd find in any gym)

14 25kg Leoko calibrated plates: ($179 EACH) ie $2,500
    14 20kg Leoko calibrated plates: ($139 EACH) ie $1,950
    4 15kg Leoko calibrated plates: ($120 each) ie $480
    6 10kg Leoko calibated plates: ($59 each) ie $355
    4 5kg Leoko calibrated plates: ($40 each) ie $160
    2 2.5kg Leoko calibrated plates: ($19 each) ie $38
    2 1.25kg leoko calibrated plates: ($9 each) ie $18
    4 Leoko competition bars: ($599 each) $2,400
    2 ER equipment combo racks (about $800 each) $1600

Now do the maths, that;s $9500 worth of powerlifting equipment. The absolute best you can buy. They run the world championships on this gear.

From reading you post it's blantantly obvious you've no idea what "hardcore" is. But with a name like BicepMan, what should we have expected.

Go get a clue.

And incase you didn't realise, equipment doesn't make a gym hardcore. It's lifters does. Whereever you go 20kg will be 20kg.

I assume if you're afraid of rust then you don't like sweating and working hard either?

Why did I even waste my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

WestPark - Tallaght on the Greenhills Road

I have been a member now for the last 8months, and I have to say its the best gym I've been a member of. I was previously in Eden(now closed down), and Jackie Skelly's(Parkwest - always full, and found it to be very dirty).

Fee's are alright, works out for me about €650 a year. Its a fairly new gym, about 2years old, but it had moved from another area of Tallaght to this new location.

They've an excellent pool, a stainless steel pool but its only about 1.5m deep, think its about 20m long.

Upstairs is the cv equipment, and there's about 25 treadmills. About 20 exercise bikes, about 12 rowers, and about 15 cross trainers. There's set weights on this level too, but upstairs are most of the weight machines, and the free weights. The weights level is split into Gent's and Ladies weights. Was having a look this morning, and they've a nice selection of dumbbells, think it goes up to about 50kg.

Most of the staff are very helpful, and the gym is always clean.
    They've their own site, and it has 360 views of the gym on it:
    www.westpark.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Biceps Man, check out Pinnacle Gym just off Camdem Street.

Everyone else, this is a gym review thread so thanks to Hanley for detailing Hercs equipment so well!

i will clean it up tomorrow when i have time.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭wasabi

Bicepsman, Pinnacle Gym is indeed the business but if you are looking for a place that opens early then you should note that it doesn't open till 10 or 11am. Open nice and late till 10 in the evening during the week, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Dragan wrote:
    Biceps Man, check out Pinnacle Gym just off Camdem Street.

Everyone else, this is a gym review thread so thanks to Hanley for detailing Hercs equipment so well!

i will clean it up tomorrow when i have time.

Didn't know you were working as a cleaner in Hercs. can just see you know with your feather duster :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

I got my first glimpse of Pinnacle gym yesterday up in Camden Street. I was sitting in traffic heading out to UCD so I decided I'd pop in and suss out the competition in the Sup store :p

Thanks Mick for the tour of the gym, I must say it is very impressive. A huge selection of free weights with plenty of room to move about. Mick's choice of equipment is fantastic, the place is spotless and the changing rooms are just right. I've no doubt once the final touches are put to it, it will be Dogs B's for hardcore lifters and casual trainers on the southside and beyond.

Nice job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Pinnacle not open to 10 a.m.?
    there goes that idea then. I'm really keen to find an alternative to Skelly, where I can simply find somewhere with the basic machines and weights and opens early enough to be done by 8.00.

Advertisement