Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quotes & More Quotes by Atheists (sig fodder inside)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Gary L

" The religious impluse will never disappear until man conquers his fear of death and his tendency toward wishful thinking" freud

"Religion is about turning untestable claims into unshakable truths through the power of institutions and the passage of time" Dawkins

"The Christian resolution to find the world ugly and bad has made the world ugly and bad" Nietzsche

"God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it?" Nietzsche

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

legspin wrote: »

Thomas Jefferson is my new hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Pygmalion wrote: »
    Thomas Jefferson is my new hero.
    He kept slaves, may have had numerous children by them, and did his best to destroy Aaron Burr because of more or less baseless fears he'd intended to challenge him (Burr probably could have taken the presidency from him when they tied for it, but chose to support Jefferson). By all accounts, he loved the sound of his own voice.

Clever bugger though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

mikhail wrote: »
    He kept slaves, may have had numerous children by them, and did his best to destroy Aaron Burr because of more or less baseless fears he'd intended to challenge him (Burr probably could have taken the presidency from him when they tied for it, but chose to support Jefferson). By all accounts, he loved the sound of his own voice.

Clever bugger though.

Ah yes, but you're missing two important details.

One is that everyone at the time was a horrible racist who saw no problem with destroying other people. [citation needed]
    The other is that I said it on the internet, meaning I clearly hadn't thought about it for more than three seconds or expected anyone to take it seriously :P.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Do atheist song lyrics count?

"It may be arrogance, or just appalling taste
    But I’d rather use my pain than let it all go to waste
    On some old god who tells me what I want to hear
    As if I cannot tell obedience from fear
    I want to take my pleasures where and how I will,
    Be they disgraceful or distasteful or distilled
    And to be frank I find that life has more appeal
    Without a driver who’s asleep behind the wheel"
    'Don't Look Down', The Divine Comedy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

"If triangles had a god, he would have three sides." - Charles de Secondat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

liamw wrote: »

:) Despite the five pages of poetic language and insightful witticisms I think this is my favourite one so far.

Liked this one. By our (boards.ie's) very own Badgermonkey. Not sure if he's an atheist or what so maybe doesn't suit the thread title but....
    You however are different.

You've gone rogue.

You're a deep thinker, unaffected by prevailing trends which serve only to replace religion with a secular devotion to a jumble of nonsensical laws which defy the natural order, promote mad science & encourage amoral governance.

Probably needs context though.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70850853&postcount=30

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056191249

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

"I've found that the more I discuss religion with a Christian, I become more atheist and they become less Christian."

Me. 2 days ago on this forum. I have to admit, I was actually really proud of this one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

It aint aboput religion in particular but i think it explains the herd mentality more than a little.
    From 'Men in Black'

A person is smart, people are stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

It aint aboput religion in particular but i think it explains the herd mentality more than a little.
    From 'Men in Black'

A person is smart, people are stupid.

Reminds of this one by Terry Pratchett:
    "The IQ of a mob is the IQ of its dumbest member divided by the number of mobsters."

“God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of the other players, (ie everybody), to being involved in an obscure and complex variant of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
    "In the begining there was nothing, and it exploded."
    "Gods don't like people not doing much work. People who aren't busy all the time might start to think."
    "He says gods like to see an atheist around. Gives them something to aim at."
    "When you hit your thumb with an 8 pound hammer, its nice to be able to blaspheme. It takes a very strong, special minded atheist to jump up and down, With their their hand clasped under their other armpit and shout "Oh random fluctuations in the space time continuum."
    "Humans! They lived in a world where the grass continued to be green and the sun rose every day and flowers regularly turned into fruit, and what impresses them?

Weeping statues, and wine made out of water, a mere quantum-mechanistic-tunnel effect that'd happen anyway if you were prepared to wait zillions of years. As if the turning of sunlight into wine, by means of vines and grapes and time and enzymes wasn't a thousand times more impressive and happened all the time."
    "What have I always believed? That, on the whole, and by and large, if a person lived properly, not according to what any priests said, but according to what seemed decent and honest inside, then it would, at the end, more or less, turn out ok."
    "There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist."
    "I'd rather be a climbing ape than a falling angel."
    "Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
    "The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it."
    "Gods prefer simple, vicious games, where you Do Not Achieve Transcendence but Go Straight To Oblivion; a key to the understanding of all religion is that a god's idea of amusement is Snakes and Ladders with greased rungs."
    "It's no wonder most religions are born in the desert, because when men lay beneath that boundless night sky and look up at the infinite expanse of creation they have an uncontrollable urge to put something in the way"
    "...and the funny thing was that people who weren't entirely certain they were right always argued much louder than other people, as if the main person they were trying to convince were themselves."
    "Most of the members of the convent were old-fashioned Satanists, like their parents and grandparents before them. They'd been brought up to it, and weren't, when you got right down to it, particularly evil. Human beings mostly aren't. They just get carried away by new ideas, like dressing up in jackboots and shooting people, or dressing up in white sheets and lynching people, or dressing up in tie-dye jeans and playing guitars at people. Offer people a new creed with a costume and their hearts and minds will follow. Anyway, being brought up as a Satanist tended to take the edge off it. It was something you did on Saturday nights.

And the rest of the time you simply got on with life as best you could, just like everyone else."
    "I commend my soul to any god that can find it."

- Some author I sort of like a little. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

liamw wrote: »

This reminded me of Xenophanes of Colophon, an ancient Greek philosopher who wrote about the subjectivity of how people view their gods:
    Homer and Hesiod have attributed to the gods
    everything that is blameworthy and disgraceful among humans
    theft and adultery and mutual trickery.
    ... but humans suppose that gods have been born
    and wear clothes like theirs and have voice and body.
    But if horses or cows or lions had hands
    to draw with their hands and produce works of art as men do,
    horses would draw the figures of gods like horses
    and cows like cows, and they would make their bodies
    just as the form which they each have themselves.
    Ethiopians say that their gods are snub-nosed and black,
    and Thracians that theirs have blue eyes and red hair.

He wasn't an atheist though, rather he was a monotheist. He does have a point though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

strobe wrote: »
    - Some author I sort of like a little. :)

Speaking of which:
    The Discworld offers sights far more impressive than those found in other universes built by Creators with less imagination but more mechanical aptitude.

Not really atheistic, but such a wonderful turn of phrase.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

"Abstinence makes the Church grow fondlers" - Unknown

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭stingray75

Those who hide from this total freedom, in a guise of solemnity or with deterministic excuses, I shall call cowards. Others, who try to show that their existence is necessary, when it is merely an accident of the appearance of the human race on earth, I shall call scum.

a life-long favourite from Jean Paul Sartre...

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes - James Morrow

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

My new sig:

If God (however you perceive him/her/it) told you to kill your child... would you do it? If the answer is no, in my booklet you're an atheist. There is doubt in your mind. Love and morality are more important to you than your faith. If your answer is yes, please reconsider. - Penn Jillette

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

I love this quote from Ann Druyan, it's quite bittersweet.
    “When my husband died, because he was so famous & known for not being a believer, many people would come up to me — it still sometimes happens — & ask me if Carl changed at the end & converted to a belief in an afterlife. They also frequently ask me if I think I will see him again. Carl faced his death with unflagging courage & never sought refuge in illusions. The tragedy was that we knew we would never see each other again. I don’t ever expect to be reunited with Carl. But, the great thing is that when we were together, for nearly twenty years, we lived with a vivid appreciation of how brief & precious life is. We never trivialized the meaning of death by pretending it was anything other than a final parting. Every single moment that we were alive & we were together was miraculous — not miraculous in the sense of inexplicable or supernatural. We knew we were beneficiaries of chance… That pure chance could be so generous & so kind… That we could find each other, as Carl wrote so beautifully in Cosmos, you know, in the vastness of space & the immensity of time… That we could be together for twenty years. That is something which sustains me & it’s much more meaningful…

The way he treated me & the way I treated him, the way we took care of each other & our family, while he lived. That is so much more important than the idea I will see him someday. I don’t think I’ll ever see Carl again. But I saw him. We saw each other. We found each other in the cosmos, and that was wonderful.“

- Ann Druyan, talking about her husband, Carl Sagan

• Advertisement

"That it should come to this..."

Spoken by Eric out of 'The Dice Man' during a crowded mid morning handing out of communion while his minister Father gave a sermon in the church.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

3 pages and so far no mention of the Pale Blue Dot, for shame people, for shame.

442px-Pale_Blue_Dot.png

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.

It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known. - Carl Sagan.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Awesome. ^^
    Haven't read that in ages. Going on my Facebook.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Malty_T wrote: »
    3 pages and so far no mention of the Pale Blue Dot, for shame people, for shame.
    In fairness, I think it's in the interesting stuff thread and a few other places :)

Still, between Druyan's paean above and Sagan's below, good heavens, they are an inspiration.

This is one is a personal fave of my mine, not sure if it will resonate as vibrantly with others but when I initially read it I knew I would forever love the book and its author.:)
    A poet once said, "The whole universe is in a glass of wine." We will probably
    never know in what sense he meant that, for poets do not write to be understood.
    But it is true that if we look at a glass of wine closely enough we see the entire
    universe. There are the things of physics: the twisting liquid which evaporates
    depending on the wind and weather, the reflections in the glass, and our imagination
    adds the atoms. The glass is a distillation of the earth's rocks, and in its
    composition we see the secrets of the universe's age, and the evolution of stars.
    What strange array of chemicals are in the wine? How did they come to be?
    There are the ferments, the enzymes, the substrates, and the products. There in
    wine is found the great generalization: all life is fermentation. Nobody can
    discover the chemistry of wine without discovering, as did Louis Pasteur, the cause
    of much disease. How vivid is the claret, pressing its existence into the consciousness
    that watches it! If our small minds, for some convenience, divide this glass
    of wine, this universe, into parts—physics, biology, geology, astronomy, psychology,
    and so on—remember that nature does not know it! So let us put it all
    back together, not forgetting ultimately what it is for. Let it give us one more final
    pleasure: drink it and forget it all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

"It is said that men may not be the dreams of the Gods, but rather that the Gods are the dreams of men." - Carl Sagan

Asked soon after Carl's death:
    "Didn't [Sagan] want to believe?" She responded, "He didn't want to believe. He wanted to know." - Ann Druyan (Carl Sagan's wife)

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭sephir0th

"The study of theology, as it stands in Christian churches, is the study of nothing; it is founded on nothing; it rests on no principles; it proceeds by no authorities; it has no data; it can demonstrate nothing; and it admits of no conclusion. Not anything can be studied as a science, without our being in possession of the principles upon which it is founded; and as this is the case with Christian theology, it is therefore the study of nothing." - Thomas Paine

Apologies if it's already being posted but this one by Dawkins is lovely in my opinion.
    Fling your arms wide in an expansive gesture to span all of evolution from its origin at your left fingertip to today at your right fingertip. All the way across your midline to well past your right shoulder, life consists of nothing but bacteria. Many-celled, invertebrate life flowers somewhere around your right elbow. The dinosaurs originate in the middle of your right palm, and go extinct around your last finger joint. The whole story of Homo sapiens and our predecessor Homo erectus is contained in the thickness of one nail-clipping. As for recorded history; as for the Sumerians, the Babylonians, the Jewish patriarchs, the dynasties of Pharaohs, the legions of Rome, the Christian Fathers, the Laws of the Medes and Persians which never change; as for Troy and the Greeks, Helen and Achilles and Agamemnon dead; as for Napoleon and Hitler, the Beatles and Bill Clinton, they and everyone that knew them are blown away in the dust from one light stroke of a nail-file.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

"In final eras, when the historical substance is exhausted and incapable of even guaranteeing the geological order of the species, there has always been a return to mythology, based on a gloomy, inexpressive sort of expectation. Theology runs aground and theognosis takes its place; men no longer want to know anything about the gods: the want to see them." - Ernst Junger

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Volaire, on his death bed, asked for a priest so he could confess and make peace with God. Alas his friends rallied round and helped him stay the course.

"be careful what you wish for " would be the the quote worth remembering

Voltaire was a deist. He believed in some semblance of a god.

Advertisement