Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where have you spotted the camera vans!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭lmkman

Was driving I to abbeyleix st Stephens day speed van there. Was doing 71 in a 100 zone speed van flashed. I wonder was it doing a survey was definitely under limit at time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,778 ✭✭✭✭phog

lmkman wrote: »
    Was driving I to abbeyleix st Stephens day speed van there. Was doing 71 in a 100 zone speed van flashed. I wonder was it doing a survey was definitely under limit at time.

I wonder do they take photos of all passing traffic, most people I've spoken to about them seem to say they have spotted the camera flash too regardless of their speed.

Be careful about going too slow as some posters think regardless of road conditions that you should keep your speed up :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Maybe it was taking a picture of a car going the other way.

I drove from Newport to Cork through Ballylanders and the like and back up the N20 and didn't spot a speed van the entire way. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

They were on the n21 today between newcastlewest and rathkeale, they seem to be popping up all over the shop.

Ok so what vans have people seen?

I have seen a Red Transit - cant remember how big or small it was.

I have seen a Navy SWB Transit with a sticker on the back window, chevrons on the side and back and the flash/camera periscope thing on the back. I have mostly seen this van, the red one only once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Berty wrote: »
    Ok so what vans have people seen?

I have seen a Red Transit - cant remember how big or small it was.

I have seen a Navy SWB Transit with a sticker on the back window, chevrons on the side and back and the flash/camera periscope thing on the back. I have mostly seen this van, the red one only once.

The red unmarked one is supposedly the survey one

The red unmarked one is supposedly the survey one

Well the white one is the Garda one which is completely unmarked and is a D reg where as the others are generally KY reg with the odd KK reg as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Seen one on the way out of Ballyneety just on the left across from the small little petrol around the 1st bend after the villiage also spotted the one at roxboro school

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

There's one between the Coonagh and Clondrinagh roundabouts, just after the Topaz.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

There was one just on the city side of Mungret this morning outside one of the cement factory entrances.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

have only seen 1 so far - it was on christmas eve on Condel Rd. I should be safe from it thought its bloody hard to only do 60 on that road unless you in a line of traffic. Anyway, anyone know how long it takes to get notification if you do get caught. Overall though there needs to be a serious rethink on speed limits on roads. Minor roads full of potholes and soft margins with loads of house entries and exits can have 100km limits whereas wide, well lit and straight roads with no entries or exits have 60km. recently out the country turned off main road with a 60km limit and immediately there was a 100km limit sign. there was no way on earth though that you could have done 100km with any bit of safety on the road. I know, I know, you should only drive at safe speed, that the limit is not a target, etc, etc, but there really needs to be better speed notifications.

Where is it parked on the Condell road?

Where is it parked on the Condell road?

Just after the Coonagh roundabout. Parked outside a compound that was used when the tunnel was built...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Just after the Coonagh roundabout. Parked outside a compound that was used when the tunnel was built...

on the left hand side of road heading intowards town, behind Na Piarsaigh. closer the Clonmacken roundabout than the Coonagh one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭amber2

Its Australian Technology. Details of which I had been trying to find as it was posted in Motors but I cannot find it.

Redflex K Band is the name of the Radar used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

was coming back from my parents in newport a while ago after 6 and there was a van parked by the quarry near john fyfes on the newport road thats a usual spot anyway but instead of hiding by the quarry as they usually do they were on the other side :eek: dressed in dark clothing and an idiot over taking me i nearly hit him and needless to say fool overtaking me prob wont be done 4 going 83km in a 60 zone

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭meg3178

h3000 wrote: »
    There was one just on the city side of Mungret this morning outside one of the cement factory entrances.

The red transit is there at least twice a week. It can also be at these locations along the N69 between Limerick and Askeaton:
    Kildimo
    Outside Kilcornan Cemetary
    Opposite Kilcornan Inn pub
    Opposite Kilcornan national school
    Askeaton bypass

These are places I have seen it so far.

was coming back from my parents in newport a while ago after 6 and there was a van parked by the quarry near john fyfes on the newport road thats a usual spot anyway but instead of hiding by the quarry as they usually do they were on the other side :eek: dressed in dark clothing and an idiot over taking me i nearly hit him and needless to say fool overtaking me prob wont be done 4 going 83km in a 60 zone

"They". You don't see anybody. They are inside the van. I suspect it may have been something else.

I think I saw the Garda operated unmarked one on the Ennis Road. Opposite the Gaelic Grounds, parked outside the unoccupied house. Rear of it facing toward Shannon though, to catch traffic progressing away from it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Amazing how many are being spotted in places that are not listed on garda.ie

Money Maker methinks eventhough we were all "assured" it wouldnt be

• Advertisement

I think I saw the Garda operated unmarked one on the Ennis Road. Opposite the Gaelic Grounds, parked outside the unoccupied house. Rear of it facing toward Shannon though, to catch traffic progressing away from it?

I passed that this evening and thought it may have been a garda one too.

phog wrote: »
    I passed that this evening and thought it may have been a garda one too.

Further research would indicate it was facing "backwards" because headlights would dazzle the camera. I looked in the rear view mirror and could see the equipment for certain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Surely not a danger zone is it? I dont remember any serious accidents near there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

I saw this too around 4.30pm(ish) it was deffo a camera van. Like you say instead of the usual place the cops would be it was parked almost halfway along the road on the righthand side as you approch Newport, where the gate for access to the field is. Same as you, idiots where over taking me

alan1990 wrote: »
    Surely not a danger zone is it? I dont remember any serious accidents near there!

The garda speed traps can operate anywhere, the private one's are targeted in areas where road fatalities have occurred.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

vkid wrote: »

May also be to the do with that fact that an amount of people who see a transit van parked near a road think they've been "done" by a speed camera.

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    May also be to the do with that fact that an amount of people who see a transit van parked near a road think they've been "done" by a speed camera.

What I saw was certainly the Garda van anyway. I'm not that stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

any speed camera van i see so far are marked as camera vans;)

vkid wrote: »

Garda vans can and do operate outside the locations listed on garda.ie.

I haven't spotted any of the private vans in a location not mentioned on garda.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Never said you were, but I have come across people claiming they were caught in Kildimo or where ever. Then when you quiz them on it, you realise there was no way it could have been a speed camera van and more likely a builder gone into a breakfast roll.

Advertisement