Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where have you spotted the camera vans!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

I passed one just before Mungret on the Limerick City side.

It's a 60km section and it isn't even remotely dangerous.

It was about two weeks ago now. The day Munster played Ospreys at home. This was clearly a money making exercise. I'd say they nabbed a fair few that day.

I was doing about the 60 mark but wasn't sure if I was just over.

Does anyone know how long it takes them to notify you of the penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Does anyone know how long it takes them to notify you of the penalty.

It can take up to 6 months but I implore anybody not to pay immediately. Wait until the very last minute.

WHY?

Remember the handheld speed camera mess. The courts ruled that without photographic evidence or physically being pulled over there would be no evidence. In the case of the Gatsos that point is redundant HOWEVER somebody is likely out there coming up with something as we speak so we will just wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

L.T.P. wrote: »
    Were on the Ardnacrusha to Clonlara road about two weeks ago, 2 vans within 500yds of each other, pricks.

Got caught by the second one didn't you? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,964 ✭✭✭✭phog

L.T.P. wrote: »
    Were on the Ardnacrusha to Clonlara road about two weeks ago, 2 vans within 500yds of each other, pricks.

Isn't that the norm one facing either direction, at least on the stretches of road I've seen them they have always been in pairs and watching traffic coming in both directions.

The vans can catch vehicles approaching them and heading away from them so they don't need two.

They can catch up to 4 lanes wide and catch 16 cars per second which will never need to be achieved(impossible driving speeds) but if you see them then it can be likely it is too late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,964 ✭✭✭✭phog

Berty wrote: »
    The vans can catch vehicles approaching them and heading away from them so they don't need two.

Are you 100% sure of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

phill106 wrote: »
    Got caught by the second one didn't you? :)

Nope, had previous intel :D

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

phog wrote: »
    Isn't that the norm one facing either direction, at least on the stretches of road I've seen them they have always been in pairs and watching traffic coming in both directions.

I would've thought so but both were facing the same direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

I've heard that there are a lot more cars driving about now with cow manure stuck to their number plate. ("I must have been caught behind a lorry, Guard").

denismac wrote: »
    I've heard that there are a lot more cars driving about now with cow manure stuck to their number plate. ("I must have been caught behind a lorry, Guard").

You can get a leaf and stick it to your number plate with some glue. Not many leaves around now. Also some people are putting their number plate on their dashboard because there is now law saying where on the front of the car it should be. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Dumdum McCarthy

now at corbally soccer pitch

now at corbally soccer pitch

Long staight and wide road. Black spot if I ever saw one. :rolleyes:

BTW, they took away the black spot signs many years ago. If they are so concerned about Black Spots then put the frickin signs back.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Dumdum McCarthy

Long staight and wide road. Black spot if I ever saw one. :rolleyes:

BTW, they took away the black spot signs many years ago. If they are so concerned about Black Spots then put the frickin signs back.

CASH SPOT if u ask me.
    They actually made that road more dangerous in the last 2 years when they put islands at conners cross about 400 metres up from corbally soccer pitch.
    They advertise that these vans are in spots(or strectches of roads) where somebody has died.I cant remember anybody loosing there life on that road from Barrys shop to westbury traffic lights,in the last 20 years anyway.(thankfuly)
    i reckon this might be a technial issue might get people off there fines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭allimac

Anyone know if those things work in the fog?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

keane2097 wrote: »
    Also, the stated intention of the Gatso vans is to get motorists to reduce their speed in particular accident black spot areas, so people sharing information about where these vans have been spotted in no way misses the point if it causes motorists to slow down in these areas.
    So on the N21 why are the Speed zones on the safest straight part of the road and none at accident blackspots where people lives are at risk!!!!

allimac wrote: »
    Anyone know if those things work in the fog?
    I hope you are not suggesting that you speed in fog!!!!!!:eek: if yes, please hand over your licence to the Gardai immediately!!!!

They can catch up to 4 lanes wide and catch 16 cars per second which will never need to be achieved(impossible driving speeds) but if you see them then it can be likely it is too late.
    I am aware in other countries that they can get speeding traffic in both directions but not 4 lane wide.

Its Australian Technology. Details of which I had been trying to find as it was posted in Motors but I cannot find it.

Anyway, there is a Gatso parked outside the Nursing Home in Newport NOW which has been there since 11:45 today.

That is crazy. Not a blackspot and taking the piss being there that long. Everybody is flashing everybody though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Anyway, there is a Gatso parked outside the Nursing Home in Newport NOW which has been there since 11:45 today.

Thanks for all the contributions everyone, hopefuly this will make people more aware of the spots that they are parking up and will stop people getting caught!!

Does anyone know if the operator has any discretion with the people they catch? I mean if its a 60kph zone and I'm drifting around the 64/65 mark can the operator says hes over but its not reckless speeding, we'll leave him go, or is it bang, your over and thats that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Theres a van on the road between the Coonagh roundabout and the Clonmacken roundabout now!! Its impossible to see the fcuker untill your right on top of it cause of the fog!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

alan1990 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the contributions everyone, hopefuly this will make people more aware of the spots that they are parking up and will stop people getting caught!!

Or you could look at this.

Theres a van on the road between the Coonagh roundabout and the Clonmacken roundabout now!! Its impossible to see the fcuker untill your right on top of it cause of the fog!!

Jesus effing Christ - slow the fcuk down so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

There's one parked in Kilmurry Sixmilebridge at the moment.

There's one parked in Kilmurry Sixmilebridge at the moment.

I kind of agree with those roads to be fair. Very dangerous route because people used to use that road to get from Galway to Limerick bypassing Ennis prior to the Motorway.

Naturally the statistics that made it a blackspot are a little outdated now on account of the Motorway/Ennis bypass but its a windy road and considering Irish drivers are terrible it stands to reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I kind of agree with those roads to be fair. Very dangerous route because people used to use that road to get from Galway to Limerick bypassing Ennis prior to the Motorway.

Naturally the statistics that made it a blackspot are a little outdated now on account of the Motorway/Ennis bypass but its a windy road and considering Irish drivers are terrible it stands to reason.

Good points but due to the weather conditions no-one is travelling above the 50kph speed limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

Does anyone know if the operator has any discretion with the people they catch? I mean if its a 60kph zone and I'm drifting around the 64/65 mark can the operator says hes over but its not reckless speeding, we'll leave him go, or is it bang, your over and thats that!!

the process is automated, doesn't involve the operator (or I might say - the driver) of the van

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

Its Australian Technology. Details of which I had been trying to find as it was posted in Motors but I cannot find it.

That is crazy. Not a blackspot and taking the piss being there that long. Everybody is flashing everybody though. :D

heard a customer in the centra in newport laughing because the vans are where a death has occured in the past and outside the nursing home is abit ironic

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭manna452121

On the Coonagh/Clonmacken road the van is located at a cutout in the banking,this entrance had been used by the tunnel staff during construction,they placed large bollards at the entrance on leaving but they now have moved the bollards so the van can park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Templeglantine yesterday outside the Devon inn. First one I've seen.... The odd looking van caught my eye a few hundred yards bac the road and actually distracted me from slowing down!!! Was doing 70 in a 60 zone and the flash went off as I passed it!! So expecting a fine in the post
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭wax

Passed one this morning around half 7 between Pallasgreen and Dromkeen parked along the straight stretch opposite Pallasgreen gates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aspasp1

found one near BMW show room on ballysimon road,

Advertisement