Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a Documentary on The Famine

Options
  • 04-11-2012 4:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 65 ✭✭

I'm currently doing my college dissertation as a radio documentary about An Gorta Mór, The Great Hunger.

I've got a couple of angles already planned out regarding interesting people to interview, particular personal accounts and unusual stories etc.

I'm wondering if any of you fine people with an interest in this period of Irish history would have any information on perhaps less well known stories or personalities from the period, or even characters around Cork or Ireland with a deep knowledge who might be open to an interview.

Any help or discussion is greatly appreciated.

Go raibh maith agat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Potato.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

If you are making a documentary make sure to get footage of those statues by Custom House Quay in dublin.

They are freaky :eek:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/93/Famine_memorial_dublin.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Let them catch fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Beatles

An t-Ocras Mór

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

At the time the Queen of England gave 10 times more in relief money than the catholic church.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

An Gorta Mór, surely?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 65 ✭✭brosy

An Gorta Mór, surely?

Christ I'm an eejit today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

brosy wrote: »
    Christ I'm an eejit today.

Must be hungry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The Sutlan of the Ottman Empire, something like that sent a ship or three with food and aid to the wee county, Drogheda to be exact

And so Drogheda has a town crest with a star and a crescent on it

Mary McAleese told this story a few years back

But then some others said it was incorrect

I don't mind, I like this story :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

, particular personal accounts .

Go raibh maith agat

They'd all be fairly old at this stage...:confused:....or dead. Probably.

• Advertisement

Chucken wrote: »
    They'd all be fairly old at this stage...:confused:....or dead. Probably.

Perhaps my wording was not perfect here. I meant any particular poignant stories or accounts of various people who lived through it that has been documented. Anyone still alive from the Famine would be very old indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

It's a BBC production up on youtube

Michael Kitchen is the main actor and is very good

Well worth watching if you've a few hours to spare

^^^^^Will definitely check that out. Always good to get a 'foreign' perspective

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Make sure you talk about the people sentenced to transportation for stealing food. One couple got twenty years for stealing turnips, I cant remember their names off of the top of my head though.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

billybudd wrote: »
    At the time the Queen of England gave 10 times more in relief money than the catholic church.

She still gave feck all. They were both useless to us really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Go raibh maith agat

agaibh ;)

oh and other than being a twát, I can't help, sorry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

OP.

You misspelled "Genocide".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I havent checked, but make sure you post in the History and Heritage forum, for some serious answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

keano_afc wrote: »
    I havent checked, but make sure you post in the History and Heritage forum, for some serious answers.
    I wouldnt bother, theres no historians on there now. try this reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/IrishHistory It's far superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Didn't some Americans (Native) send over aid even though they were pretty badly off themselves. Can't remember the details, but liked the idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

mikemac1 wrote: »
    The Sutlan of the Ottman Empire, something like that sent a ship or three with food and aid to the wee county, Drogheda to be exact

And so Drogheda has a town crest with a star and a crescent on it

Mary McAleese told this story a few years back

But then some others said it was incorrect

I don't mind, I like this story :)
    That has been completley disproven, in fact there is no evidence that the Turks sent any help at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

kowloon wrote: »
    Didn't some Americans (Native) send over aid even though they were pretty badly off themselves. Can't remember the details, but liked the idea.

I think maize was sent from the States alright. It was called Indian Corn and made into Stirabout, IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Pot-tae-toe the thing is Ireland had plenty of food at that time we just exported spuds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭ArtyM

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

That has been completley disproven, in fact there is no evidence that the Turks sent any help at all.

Christine Kinealy a well known expert on the Irish Famine seems to disagree. Constantinople gave over £600 and the Sultan £1000. Worth in the hundreds of thousands at today's values:

http://multitext.ucc.ie/d/Overseas_Aid

http://multitext.ucc.ie/d/Private_Responses_to_the_Famine3344361812

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

OP,I dont know how much research you have done but this was Genocide of the Irish by the British.It suited the Brits to just call it 'The Famine'.There was a lot of food exported at the time.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-great-irish-famine-was-genocide/18156

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:An_gorta_Mor.jpg

There is also a great book here.

http://corkuniversitypress.com/Atlas_of_the_Great_Irish_Famine_/357/

steddyeddy wrote: »

She still gave feck all. They were both useless to us really.

She did a lot more than you think:

http://multitext.ucc.ie/d/Letter_of_Queen_Victoria

@Rhys, I am also of the opinion that it was a systematic genocide operating under the term of the Free Market or Laisse Faire economics. Thanks for links

As has been pointed out by some historians, one simply has to ask if the famine was occurring in Lancashire, England, would the Government have adopted the same policy? And the answer is always a big NO. But Ireland was out of sight and out of mind to the elite in London. Robert Peel tried his best to feed the starving and paid the price by being thrown out of office. Trevelyan was the real culprit and said it was 'God's judgement' on the lazy Irish. His policies led to huge loss of life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Do your own homework.

Advertisement