Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de Nibali Stage 16 – July 22nd, Carcassone - Bagneres de L **Unmasked Spoilers**

Options
  • 22-07-2014 1:05am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Tdf14_stage16_profile.png

PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.png

So I might be being Cpt. Obvious, but it is clear that the final climb and more importantly, the descent will be decisive in this stage. The analysts appear to favour an early to mid breakaway staying away for the win, but I personally fancy a select group making the catch over the difficult climbs and the winner coming from a brave soul who can make the right attack with a few km to go. My own choice for this one is Michael "Dodge" Rogers. I don't think the variable nature of the Port de Bales suits him, but I do think he's one of the stronger descenders apart from Nibali, who may or may not choose to go for another stage. If he does, I of course think he'll take it handily. Not too simple to pick a winner here, but Giovanni Visconti also has all the right characteristics also (thanks Aoibheann :D)

Oddschecker: Nibali 7/1, Rogers 8/1, Rodriguez 12/1, Valverde 12/1, Majka 12/1, Voeckler 13/1
    Some of you are getting into dangerous territory, so I will remind everybody right now - do not even hint that somebody has doped if it has not been proven in the public domain. Do so, and you will be taking a holiday from the forum for the rest of the race.

Stage winner 32 votes

Nibali
    0%
    Rogers
    15%
    Ormusn-dawgRedmond101Solobally8Germancarfan 5 votes
    Rodriguez
    31%
    dougalbuffaloAoibheannZiabRBlowfishBeastyDarkglassesJ Madoneseany15pelevin 10 votes
    Valverde
    6%
    Green&Redkeaned82 2 votes
    Majka
    9%
    mal1boydkevmruser2014 3 votes
    Voeckler
    0%
    Thomas
    3%
    Rua_ri 1 vote
    Sagan
    0%
    Kwiatkowski
    9%
    DaroxtarMillypennyIP freely 3 votes
    Visconti
    6%
    pajorletape 2 votes
    Martin
    0%
    Roche
    0%
    Costa
    9%
    Brian?PeterxQueensGael 3 votes
    Bakelants
    3%
    John McClane 1 vote
    De Marchi
    0%
    Rolland
    0%
    Bardet
    3%
    Michael2107 1 vote
    Trofimov
    0%
    Nieve
    0%
    Spilak
    3%
    fergie24 1 vote
    Gautier
    0%
    Chavanel
    0%
    Kadri
    0%
    Konig
    0%
    Albasini
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭seany15

Rodriguez
    Rogers for me too. He's aways one of the best descenders. Balls of steel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I did some of those climbs a few years ago. Will be interesting to see how much quicker I was than the pros..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

lennymc wrote: »
    I did some of those climbs a few years ago. Will be interesting to see how much quicker I was than the pros..... :)

Portet dAspet and Ares was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I think ares turned into an impromptu race.... :)

Lovely little restaurant at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Rodriguez
    Rogers for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

Majka
    valverde will do it today

• Registered Users Posts: 14,066 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Nieve off the leash

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Rio costa out so it's time for Horner to unleash the beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

Rodriguez
    Rio costa out so it's time for Horner to unleash the beast.

Just saw that, would've thought today would've suited Costa. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

boydkev wrote: »
    valverde will do it today

but who will drag him within sight of the finish line then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Rodriguez needs points to keep the KoM jersey, so he might fancy being first over the last climb, and sure he might as well keep going then for the stage..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

lennymc wrote: »
    Idleater wrote: »
    Portet dAspet and Ares was lovely.

Lenny - they are climbing the route we descended and vice versa.

Agree that these we lovely climbs.
    I know the area that te first 85km traverses vert well. It is a stunning area with field upon field of sunflowers. Should look spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,066 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The Orica Greenedge bus strikes again!

btizmrqieaebkha_large_670.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Costa
    Nico's turn today I reckon. He's a fairly decent descender, much like his Da.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Kwiatkowski
    Sagan to finally time it right

Or probably not

• Registered Users Posts: 10,732 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Brian? wrote: »

He's not in the break so I can't see it. Mick Rodgers is however.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Rodriguez
    Today's 21 man breakaway - Michal Kwiatkowski (Omega Pharma-QuickStep), Jan Bakelants (Omega Pharma-QuickStep), Cyril Gautier (Europcar), Michael Rogers (Tinkoff-Saxo), Tony Gallopin (Lotto-Belisol), Greg van Avermaet (BMC), Jon Izagirre (Movistar), Jose Serpa (Lampre-Merida), Thomas Voeckler (Europcar), Jens Keukeleire (Orica-GreenEdge), Tom Jelte Slagter (Garmin-Sharp), Michael Albasini (Orica-GreenEdge), Jeremy Roy (FDJ), Matteo Montaguti (AG2R-La Mondiale), Kevin Reza (Europcar), Samuel Dumoulin (AG2R-La Mondiale), Anthony Delaplace (Bretagne Séché Environment), Vasil Kiryienka (Sky), Florian Vachon (Bretagne Séché Environment), Bernard Eisel (Sky), Roger Kluge (IAM Cycling).

Really strong group

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭IP freely

Kwiatkowski
    This one is shaping up nicely, should be a good finish. the key is in the decent methinks.

IPF

Kwiatkowski
    9 minute gap now. Very strong breakaway too, can't see them being caught myself.

IPF

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Majka
    I cycled these last year, tough but the gradient is that tough from what i remember. I can't look past Rogers after seeing him at the Giro. Thomas Voeckler has got support but Rogers doesn't need it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

Rodgers is a great descender but Kwia & Gallopin are excellent also

Rodgers is the better climber of the 3 so he has to attack before the top of Port de Bales because the others 2 are very good on descent and sprint finish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

Brian? wrote: »

Tomorrow I think

• Registered Users Posts: 10,732 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

This Plus500 add is slightly perverse.

Kwiatkowski
    Pudsy33 wrote: »
    This Plus500 add is slightly perverse.

Sex sells!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

Visconti
    I spent a week in Luchon myself in 2010 and climbed today and tomorrow's climbs.

Port de Bales from this side is a beautiful climb and is being climbed from the same side as in 2010 where the wheels of Lance's 2010 tour came off as did Schleck's chain!

Col de Portillon tomorrow is also a nice if more unknown climb - short and steep!

Kwiatkowski is my vote for today,

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Rodriguez
    Ha, Serpa being a bollix :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The breakaway have a whopping 11min 12sec advantage now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Rodriguez
    Is it some kind of exercise in black comedy these Israel tourism ads? I would imagine the response of the vast majority would be "Are they f.....g for real?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Visconti
    Just tuned in. 12 mins is some gap.

My vote is for Kwia as he as the most to gain from today. Rogers though is probably a more likely candidate.

Though I suppose voting now is a bit of a cheat. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭cityman 18

pelevin wrote: »
    Is it some kind of exercise in black comedy these Israel tourism ads? I would imagine the response of the vast majority would be "Are they f.....g for real?"

The land of creation apparently...:rolleyes:

Advertisement