Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has Eastern European immigration since 2004 been good for Ireland?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭conorhal

fontanalis wrote: »
    Sure, it's the Easter Europeans fault dodgy apartments were thrown up everywhere.

Except he didn't say that though did he? He said that the governments immigration policy was cack handed and lacked foresight. But by all means play the man and ignore the perfectly valid points that he raised.

On the whole I think Europen immigration has been a mixed bag or positives and negatives, on ballance I'd say largely positive, but there should be practical limits in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

I don't thinks its made much difference really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

East European chicks have made Irish women finally try to compete.

True. The Slavic weemenz like to shake what their mommas gave them :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

megafan wrote: »
    Your right DOOLOX Like the banking system there's been no regulation and it'll be some time before we realise the full effects of immigration it's less than 8years since the real migration started & from what I hear from eastern european work mates little has improved in their own homeland (wages much the same since they joined the EC but prices increasing fast to our levels) we here will have to shrink to eastern european levels re wages etc! Do the Math's a broke country of about four million against.. I dunno 40 millionish Poles or so.. add the rest of eastern europe Checks, Slovac's Litlhiuinan's Romainian's etc... who's going to meet who re living standards?.... It'll be all downhill folks!....:eek:

STOP WITH THE BOLD.

btw, Polands GDP has tripled since the late 90's. Most of eastern europe is the same. they even had their own property bubble (anyone want a bulgarian apt?;))

In general eastern europes economies are recovering very well (did any of them need a bailout). Even the Ukrainian instability isn't affecting them too much.
    Degsy wrote: »
    I'm of two minds on this one.
    A girl i know from Lithuania works in tesco's for 200 quid a week..fair enough,she's working.

But..the average monthly wage in Lithuania is something like 300 per month for somebody working 40 hours a week.

If she loses her job,will she go home?There's nothing there for her and the dole here pays more than double what she'd get at home in full enemployment of which there is very little

A lot of these guys and gals are genuinley nice people,hardworking etc but if they should happen to be come unemployed,we might just be stuck with them..further stretching our resources and all the rest that goes with it.

Stats in most countries show that unemployment amongst immigrants is generally far, far lower than it is for natives. that's because immigrants move to make money. Their standard of living here on the dole would be about the same as their standard back home. maybe a bit better, but hardly worth moving for it. additionally migrants are generally younger and healthier and are less of a burden on support structures like health.

links broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Ireland outside of the EU would be nothing like it is today, no IT boom, no european investment, no multinational EU headquarters. I'll leave that to you personal opinion as to whether it's good or bad. We would not have grown as we did in the 90s outside of europe.

Join the club, play be the rules. During the boom we needed cheap labour, now, not so much. As the economy continues to pick up the pace, we'll need them again.

Long term EU membership, currency union and labour flexibility is an advantage, at least economically. Before someone comes up with the 1bn euro fishing pipedream : http://ec.europa.eu/ireland/key-eu-policy-areas/common-fisheries-policy/index_en.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I have met a lot of good people and friends from Eastern Europe so I am happy with opening up to the new EU countries. Eastern Europeans have integrated fairly well into society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

My experience is many don't like the term Eastern European and may get a little offended

Tell a Polish person that and you'll be told they are from Central Europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

It's a three year old thread bumped for a different topic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement