Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Eastern European immigration since 2004 been good for Ireland?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

to be perfectly blunt... :

it was a stupid idea.
    All it was doing was allowing non-eu people to come over here, work but send the money back to their native country.

On the flipside it was great for the polish etc. You cant blame them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

LighterGuy wrote: »

it was a stupid idea.
    All it was doing was allowing non-eu people to come over here, work but send the money back to their native country.

Really? According to this report it was actively pursued as policy by the DETA.

Although I'm sure it was obviously stupid at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

gsxr1 wrote: »
    Maybe it will make them compete to fit into a slim dress and stop filling their fat white Irish bird faces with Denny rashers and family size bags of HunkyDorys.

Those polish gals are well fit compared to our home feed girls:D

Ah yes, but do they know how to "have the craic"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

LighterGuy wrote: »

it was a stupid idea.

They are from the EU and as far as I'm concerned EU citizens should be able to move to whatever EU state they want, which is mostly how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

In terms of women, yes it has.

Sorry, but wehat? Im not denying some of them are attractive but I worked in places which were under 50% Irish and can tell you if you put 100 randomly picked Irish girls and 100 EE in a room, there would be no contest as to how many lookers would be Irish. Seriously, yes some EE are knock outs, but theres a chronic amount of munters there too. Give me a more attractive hard drinking Irish girl with a better personality over some mid level Polish girl who thinks I drink too much any day of the week tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

dont care the birds are hot tho

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭tigger123

doolox wrote: »
    The influx of people from outside has been bad for the ordinary worker in that the process has happened too suddenly.
    Those availing of social services etc find themselves at the brunt of having to compete with foreign newcomers for a limited range of services which the government has not increased.

Scarce jobs are taken by the foreigners while our own have to emigrate to Canada and Australia to find work.

Those with Ireland-specific qualifications such as teachers ( Irish language ) and solicitors ( Law is specific to Ireland ) are immune to this competition but all other sectors are prey to this influx.

It will take decades for the average Irish worker to catch up with and overtake the foreigners in the job seeking stakes.

DEY TOOK OUR JERB!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭hairy sailor

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The Orb wrote: »
    No it hasn't. The resultant population explosion seriously fuelled the ridiculous property bubble. The Govt of the time stated that they expected 40,000 eastern europeans to come to Ireland, 400,000 came. It was too many, too fast. The resultant strain on state resources has been too much. They are decent people but the Irish state was not ready for such a population explosion and the inherent strains on pubic resources. Structurally the state wasn't ready. We should have followed the rest of Europe (except UK and Sweden) and restricted the numbers who could come for the first few years. This was done when the Romanians and Bulgarians joined the EU,in itself an acknowledgment that we got it wrong in 2004. No country could handle a 10% increase in population in such a short time.

It probably didn't help in that it resulted in a bigger rental market but house prices here had been rising dramatically since about 1996, with much smaller immigration levels.

The property mania and insatiable greed had already set in and immigrants became another section of victims.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭opo

fontanalis wrote: »
    Or the inflation led to them coming, as for throwing pins leaving that's nonsense.

How so?

There is not a single industry in Ireland unaffected by reduced demand.

I am not trying to say they did anything deliberate - I am saying that their individual contributions - naturally evaporate the minute they step on a plane home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

No it has not been good for the country. It is estimated that over 100,000 of the people on the dole are immigrants and than over 40%of the welfare budget goes to non nationals.
    This is not good for Ireland, unless you enjoy paying extra tax that is!

8 billion on non-nationals eh? Riiiiight.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Joeyjoejoe83

Mostly nice people,except in the gyms where they take over everything. However, I look at it that they worked here and instead of pumping money back into the Irish economy, it was sent home.

As such, I say no, as their arrival has led to money being bled from our economy for years, with no sign of stopping....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

The influx of people from outside has been bad for the ordinary worker in that the process has happened too suddenly.
    Those availing of social services etc find themselves at the brunt of having to compete with foreign newcomers for a limited range of services which the government has not increased.

Scarce jobs are taken by the foreigners while our own have to emigrate to Canada and Australia to find work.

Those with Ireland-specific qualifications such as teachers ( Irish language ) and solicitors ( Law is specific to Ireland ) are immune to this competition but all other sectors are prey to this influx.

It will take decades for the average Irish worker to catch up with and overtake the foreigners in the job seeking stakes.

Taking jobs from locals ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭opo

Mostly nice people,except in the gyms where they take over everything. However, I look at it that they worked here and instead of pumping money back into the Irish economy, it was sent home.

You can't send your rent and food bill home.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

As such, I say no, as their arrival has led to money being bled from our economy for years, with no sign of stopping....

Some money would be sent home, just like the Irish send money back to Ireland when working abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

I for one welcome our Eastern European Women overlords. (Overladies?)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

It's been great. It's fantastic to walk down the street and see so many interesting faces, to hear the various languages spoken on our streets, to see the various shops and restaurants around town. Within my own work enviorment we've employed many eastern european workers and they are great, hard working, friendly and sociable.

Personally it's been great for me. I'm engaged to a fantastic Polish lady and we've just bought a house together. I've been to the country 15 times at this point. I've experienced a new culture, language, food, viewpoint and so on.

Long may it last.

(Edit- I should add to those who say their money flows out of the country, my own lady sends none of it home.)

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭megafan

Your right DOOLOX Like the banking system there's been no regulation and it'll be some time before we realise the full effects of immigration it's less than 8years since the real migration started & from what I hear from eastern european work mates little has improved in their own homeland (wages much the same since they joined the EC but prices increasing fast to our levels) we here will have to shrink to eastern european levels re wages etc! Do the Math's a broke country of about four million against.. I dunno 40 millionish Poles or so.. add the rest of eastern europe Checks, Slovac's Litlhiuinan's Romainian's etc... who's going to meet who re living standards?.... It'll be all downhill folks!....:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

UK PM has just admitted that allowing unrestricted migration from the 10 accession states in 2004 was a mistake.

How long before our government says the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

In terms of women, yes it has.

You do realise that Eastern European Men are on average better looking than Irish men.*

*Source - I fancy all of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

fontanalis wrote: »
    Sure, it's the Easter Europeans fault dodgy apartments were thrown up everywhere.

Except he didn't say that though did he? He said that the governments immigration policy was cack handed and lacked foresight. But by all means play the man and ignore the perfectly valid points that he raised.

On the whole I think Europen immigration has been a mixed bag or positives and negatives, on ballance I'd say largely positive, but there should be practical limits in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

I don't thinks its made much difference really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

East European chicks have made Irish women finally try to compete.

True. The Slavic weemenz like to shake what their mommas gave them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,143 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

megafan wrote: »
    Your right DOOLOX Like the banking system there's been no regulation and it'll be some time before we realise the full effects of immigration it's less than 8years since the real migration started & from what I hear from eastern european work mates little has improved in their own homeland (wages much the same since they joined the EC but prices increasing fast to our levels) we here will have to shrink to eastern european levels re wages etc! Do the Math's a broke country of about four million against.. I dunno 40 millionish Poles or so.. add the rest of eastern europe Checks, Slovac's Litlhiuinan's Romainian's etc... who's going to meet who re living standards?.... It'll be all downhill folks!....:eek:

STOP WITH THE BOLD.

btw, Polands GDP has tripled since the late 90's. Most of eastern europe is the same. they even had their own property bubble (anyone want a bulgarian apt?;))

In general eastern europes economies are recovering very well (did any of them need a bailout). Even the Ukrainian instability isn't affecting them too much.
    Degsy wrote: »
    I'm of two minds on this one.
    A girl i know from Lithuania works in tesco's for 200 quid a week..fair enough,she's working.

But..the average monthly wage in Lithuania is something like 300 per month for somebody working 40 hours a week.

If she loses her job,will she go home?There's nothing there for her and the dole here pays more than double what she'd get at home in full enemployment of which there is very little

A lot of these guys and gals are genuinley nice people,hardworking etc but if they should happen to be come unemployed,we might just be stuck with them..further stretching our resources and all the rest that goes with it.

Stats in most countries show that unemployment amongst immigrants is generally far, far lower than it is for natives. that's because immigrants move to make money. Their standard of living here on the dole would be about the same as their standard back home. maybe a bit better, but hardly worth moving for it. additionally migrants are generally younger and healthier and are less of a burden on support structures like health.

links broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Ireland outside of the EU would be nothing like it is today, no IT boom, no european investment, no multinational EU headquarters. I'll leave that to you personal opinion as to whether it's good or bad. We would not have grown as we did in the 90s outside of europe.

Join the club, play be the rules. During the boom we needed cheap labour, now, not so much. As the economy continues to pick up the pace, we'll need them again.

Long term EU membership, currency union and labour flexibility is an advantage, at least economically. Before someone comes up with the 1bn euro fishing pipedream : http://ec.europa.eu/ireland/key-eu-policy-areas/common-fisheries-policy/index_en.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I have met a lot of good people and friends from Eastern Europe so I am happy with opening up to the new EU countries. Eastern Europeans have integrated fairly well into society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

My experience is many don't like the term Eastern European and may get a little offended

Tell a Polish person that and you'll be told they are from Central Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

It's a three year old thread bumped for a different topic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement