Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Eastern European immigration since 2004 been good for Ireland?

Options
  • 19-02-2011 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Well has it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

What's your own opinion?

Personally I think it has had little effect overall.. people leave as well as arrive from our shores.

Though how we deal with immigration on the whole can be quite wasteful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I think its great, love the polish and Romanian lads, loads of them love Ireland too and dont want to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

East European chicks have made Irish women finally try to compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

Well has it?
    Yes, they are contributing to society and through taxes & spending they are contributing economically. Most seem to be quite decent folk, every group has some bad eggs, but I think almost all that came here came to work and have a decent life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Yes, they settle here well..I live in a street thats like the U.N. and we all get along...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Yeah great bunch of lads and cute ladies.

I remember just before they could legally move here there was this big fear going around that we were about to be invaded by a third world nation. Then about 6 weeks later everyone loved the Poles/Lithos!

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭The Orb

No it hasn't. The resultant population explosion seriously fuelled the ridiculous property bubble. The Govt of the time stated that they expected 40,000 eastern europeans to come to Ireland, 400,000 came. It was too many, too fast. The resultant strain on state resources has been too much. They are decent people but the Irish state was not ready for such a population explosion and the inherent strains on pubic resources. Structurally the state wasn't ready. We should have followed the rest of Europe (except UK and Sweden) and restricted the numbers who could come for the first few years. This was done when the Romanians and Bulgarians joined the EU,in itself an acknowledgment that we got it wrong in 2004. No country could handle a 10% increase in population in such a short time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

What's your own opinion?

Indeed, OP starts a thread without giving their own opinion/views. I always love that. Whether it's been good or bad is impossible to measure, becasue all our experiences would be subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭tigger123

The Orb wrote: »
    . The Govt of the time stated that they expected 40,000 eastern europeans to come to Ireland, 400,000 came. It was too many, too fast.

What's your source for this number? Not picking a fight, just asking. Is the data collected on the number of EU nationals entering the State? I know for a fact that no exit checks are conducted in this country, ie, the monitoring of people leaving.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I'm of two minds on this one.
    A girl i know from Lithuania works in tesco's for 200 quid a week..fair enough,she's working.

But..the average monthly wage in Lithuania is something like 300 per month for somebody working 40 hours a week.

If she loses her job,will she go home?There's nothing there for her and the dole here pays more than double what she'd get at home in full enemployment of which there is very little

A lot of these guys and gals are genuinley nice people,hardworking etc but if they should happen to be come unemployed,we might just be stuck with them..further stretching our resources and all the rest that goes with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

I echo the Great bunch of lads sentiment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Degsy wrote: »
    A girl i know from Lithuania works in tesco's for 200 quid a week..fair enough,she's working.

But..the average monthly wage in Lithuania is something like 300 per month for somebody working 40 hours a week.

If she loses her job,will she go home?There's nothing there for her and the dole here pays more than double what she'd get at home in full enemployment of which there is very little

A lot of these guys and gals are genuinley nice people,hardworking etc but if they should happen to be come unemployed,we might just be stuck with them..further stretching our resources and all the rest that goes with it.

:rolleyes:

what ifs..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

East European chicks have made Irish women finally try to compete.

Compete for what? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

No it hasn't. The resultant population explosion seriously fuelled the ridiculous property bubble. The Govt of the time stated that they expected 40,000 eastern europeans to come to Ireland, 400,000 came. It was too many, too fast. The resultant strain on state resources has been too much. They are decent people but the Irish state was not ready for such a population explosion and the inherent strains on pubic resources. Structurally the state wasn't ready. We should have followed the rest of Europe (except UK and Sweden) and restricted the numbers who could come for the first few years. This was done when the Romanians and Bulgarians joined the EU,in itself an acknowledgment that we got it wrong in 2004. No country could handle a 10% increase in population in such a short time.

Sure, it's the Easter Europeans fault dodgy apartments were thrown up everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Tallaght Saint

In terms of women, yes it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Me. They both lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭yrwhu8jxtni06a

Tbh,they are welcome to come and work,but i think the government took their eye off the ball in reforming welfare system during the "celtic tiger"with those who refuse to work or who was on dole for years,there where approximately 104,800 unemployed during the "boom years" who could had got some form of work which was plenty available at time in shops and services and not just the building sites.

source here- http://www.cso.ie/newsevents/pr_qnhsq3_06.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Degsy wrote: »

the cost of living with be lower in eastern europe would it not?

I was watching a documentry about poland a few weeks ago and it looks like a beautiful country. I have my eye on a few local eastern european fellas but unfortunately they dont want to up and leave sticks and bring me with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

The resultant population explosion seriously fuelled the ridiculous property bubble.
    No, it didn't. The property bubble was fuelled by the banks. In any transaction where 90% to 110% of the payment is supplied by a third party, that third party decides the price. That third party was the banks. In 2006 at the peak of the bubble, 40% of purchasers were "investors", and I use that term loosely, topped up by natural demand fuelled by easy credit terms. There were very few immigrants buying Irish property.

Personally I think we need a thorough analysis of the effects of immigration in Ireland, even handed and conducted by a disinterested internationally recognised group, if only for the purposes of clarification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Maybe it will make them compete to fit into a slim dress and stop filling their fat white Irish bird faces with Denny rashers and family size bags of HunkyDorys.

Those polish gals are well fit compared to our home feed girls:D

• Advertisement

there where approximately 104,800 unemployed during the "boom years"
    About half that were long term unemployed, and that includes those on disability. This is around the 1% to 2% mark. The rest was just seasonal churn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

No it hasn't. The resultant population explosion seriously fuelled the ridiculous property bubble. The Govt of the time stated that they expected 40,000 eastern europeans to come to Ireland, 400,000 came. It was too many, too fast.

They didn't drive up housing demand, no more than they availed of cheap credit and voted in our incompetent government. But they did absord a deficit in service employment thanks to our false prosperity. Those properties were not produced for, nor purchased by immigrants.
    The resultant strain on state resources has been too much. They are decent people but the Irish state was not ready for such a population explosion and the inherent strains on pubic resources. Structurally the state wasn't ready.

What strain exactly? It should take you two minutes to head to CSO's database direct to check out our employment levels for the past twenty years. You should then compare these against employment figures for incoming migrants (you can select eastern european origin only). From this you can observe the proportions employed by years end.

There really is no excuse for this any more

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭opo

tigger123 wrote: »
    What's your source for this number? Not picking a fight, just asking. Is the data collected on the number of EU nationals entering the State? I know for a fact that no exit checks are conducted in this country, ie, the monitoring of people leaving.

Regardless of the exact numbers - they inflated the balloon coming and threw a few pins in by leaving.

As an employer of EE workers - I would not like to see the back of them from an employer and human perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

The influx of people from outside has been bad for the ordinary worker in that the process has happened too suddenly.
    Those availing of social services etc find themselves at the brunt of having to compete with foreign newcomers for a limited range of services which the government has not increased.

Scarce jobs are taken by the foreigners while our own have to emigrate to Canada and Australia to find work.

Those with Ireland-specific qualifications such as teachers ( Irish language ) and solicitors ( Law is specific to Ireland ) are immune to this competition but all other sectors are prey to this influx.

It will take decades for the average Irish worker to catch up with and overtake the foreigners in the job seeking stakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    I think its great, love the polish and Romanian lads, loads of them love Ireland too and dont want to leave.

I know, the Irish dole is great isn't it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

opo wrote: »
    Regardless of the exact numbers - they inflated the balloon coming and threw a few pins in by leaving.

As an employer of EE workers - I would not like to see the back of them from an employer and human perspective.

Or the inflation led to them coming, as for throwing pins leaving that's nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

No it has not been good for the country. It is estimated that over 100,000 of the people on the dole are immigrants and than over 40%of the welfare budget goes to non nationals.
    This is not good for Ireland, unless you enjoy paying extra tax that is!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

gsxr1 wrote: »
    Maybe it will make them compete to fit into a slim dress and stop filling their fat white Irish bird faces with Denny rashers and family size bags of HunkyDorys.

Those polish gals are well fit compared to our home feed girls:D

And then we can compete for lovely Irish guys like yourself, perhaps? Superb.

No it has not been good for the country. It is estimated that over 100,000 of the people on the dole are immigrants and than over 40%of the welfare budget goes to non nationals.
    Have you got a source for this or are you just pulling numbers out of the netherlands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

To win, the volleyball games had previously been "just for fun".

huzzah for this being moved to ah

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement