Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Has anyone had their baby christened yet? If so if it was a boy what did they wear? I am trying to find something and think baby elegance stuff is my best get, but don't know whether to get a proper gown
    http://babyzone.ie/christening%20gown
    Or romper
    http://babyzone.ie/christning%20suit-1?keyword=Romper&category_id=0
    Or they have this outfit but it might be a bit too my big fat gypsy wedding?
    http://babyzone.ie/christning%20suit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Does it have to be white? I don't know the rules of those things, sorry! Could you not just put him in a normal nice little boy outfit? I don't know when I've last been to a christening so I've no idea ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

The only thing that has to be white for the christening is the shawl you wrap the baby in during the ceremony. Otherwise they can wear anything.

January wrote: »
    The only thing that has to be white for the christening is the shawl you wrap the baby in during the ceremony. Otherwise they can wear anything.

Yes priest said something about white shawl! No I have to put him all in white otherwise I will never hear the end of it from my granny! Bad enough that a deacon is doing it lol lol (we hope she doesn't cop!) and that he is going to be more than 3 months old!

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Millem wrote: »
    Yes priest said something about white shawl! No I have to put him all in white otherwise I will never hear the end of it from my granny! Bad enough that a deacon is doing it lol lol (we hope she doesn't cop!) and that he is going to be more than 3 months old!

Mine isn't christened yet either and is 13 weeks today. I think when we do get around to it I will put him in the romper like you linked, I never really liked gowns on boys, that's just my opinion tho, everyone has different tastes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭rsl1976

My LO is getting christened next month and she will wear the same dress my 18 year old son wore. My personal choice is the dress but each to their own. Just go with your heart ☺

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

All my girls were christened in the same gown that I was christened in... I'm unsure whether to christen this baby in the same because it's a dress (it's a boy) or to buy him a little romper... my mam has a romper up from my cousins baptism but it's very weird looking!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Absolutely definitely no way no how will there be any christenings in our house! We are planning a humanist naming/welcoming ceremony for the end of the summer. Will be a low key family affair with some close friends too. No pubs! Its a particular pet peeve of mine when you hear of christening parties taking place in the pub, adults celebrating by getting drunk and someone taking the kids home while the parents go on the lash. Its something I will never understand.

I'd quite like to do similar HL but it wouldn't go down well with my parents. They're Catholic and very religious, very involved with the local church. While they respect my decision not to christen him, I know it upsets them, and I think a naming ceremony would make it even worse for them!

I'm thinking we'll just have a really big first birthday party, and that'll be our celebration of his birth. :)

Absolutely definitely no way no how will there be any christenings in our house! We are planning a humanist naming/welcoming ceremony for the end of the summer. Will be a low key family affair with some close friends too. No pubs! Its a particular pet peeve of mine when you hear of christening parties taking place in the pub, adults celebrating by getting drunk and someone taking the kids home while the parents go on the lash. Its something I will never understand.

Good for you! We are just having family only then back to the house. We need the date for school applications so needs to be done soon

• Advertisement

Good for you! We are just having family only then back to the house. We need the date for school applications so needs to be done soon

Thats one of the reasons why the girls will go to an educate together school.

we have very strong opinions on religious instruction and religious schooling as you can probably tell! Lol

January wrote: »
    All my girls were christened in the same gown that I was christened in... I'm unsure whether to christen this baby in the same because it's a dress (it's a boy) or to buy him a little romper... my mam has a romper up from my cousins baptism but it's very weird looking!

That is so lovely. I like the idea of a gown and then I can pass it on to when he has kiddies (hopefully). Prince george looked fab in his gown

Thats one of the reasons why the girls will go to an educate together school.

we have very strong opinions on religious instruction and religious schooling as you can probably tell! Lol

We don't have any educate together schools in our area. His primary school I want him to go to is multi denominational. The date of baptism is for secondary school, fab school very very inclusive for abilities and offers literally every subject under the sun (which is a shock horror as it is one of the rugby schools)

We don't have any educate together schools in our area. His primary school I want him to go to is multi denominational. The date of baptism is for secondary school, fab school very very inclusive for abilities and offers literally every subject under the sun (which is a shock horror as it is one of the rugby schools)

There is no educate together secondary in our area yet but one is on its way. By the time my children are secondary school age it will be long established. I just couldn't bring myself to baptise my children to satify a school requirement. I really really wish all non-fee paying schools were secular. I really don't agree with teaching religion in state schools. Private schools can do as they like and parents choose to pay for that or not, but it really irks me that state funded schools are so heavily religious.

Another reason I prefer ed-to schools is that they don't do 6 year waiting lists!

OK I thought I was being ridiculous enrolling him for primary school already ... we're meant to be thinking about secondary school too?! :eek:

OK I thought I was being ridiculous enrolling him for primary school already ... we're meant to be thinking about secondary school too?! :eek:

I'm assuming it must be a pretty exclusive private school if it has a 13 year waiting list!

I feel the same ... I hate limiting our choice in schools, but the idea of standing up there and going along with this notion that my child was born with "original sin" - ick, no, could not do it.

Listen it is a pure and utter joke I know! And the crazy thing is I will have to do some sweet talking as I am sure there is already a waiting list! I don't want him to go to the junior feeder school as the class sizes are too big and he is first born so he is only getting in through date of application, the only thing is his dad went to the sister school so fingers crossed

I thought the dept of education were bringing in new rules which means siblings no longer get preference?? And hasn't there been talk of putting an end to waiting lists? I'm sure I didn't dream that! The plan is for kids to only be allowed enroll in the January before they plan on starting in September.

I'm assuming it must be a pretty exclusive private school if it has a 13 year waiting list!

Hello lady I work in a non fee paying school (not an exclusive private school) and we have massive waiting lists last time I checked 2024 was already full. I was told that no one on a waiting list for sept 2014 was even offered a place. One of my colleagues lives on the northside and is planning on sending her kids there (they are 5 and 6) as she was told there is no chance of a place for them in our sister school on the northside. I am not taking any chances.

• Advertisement

I thought the dept of education were bringing in new rules which means siblings no longer get preference?? And hasn't there been talk of putting an end to waiting lists? I'm sure I didn't dream that! The plan is for kids to only be allowed enroll in the January before they plan on starting in September.

Yes the minister wants to bring in it but who knows when that will happen especially with the massive uproar over new junior cert we have voted yes to industrial action. I can't see any enrollment policy changes happening for the church of Ireland schools as they are considered a minority religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Leitrim Lady

Hello all...
    It's been quiet here for a few days!!we all coping??
    My wee fella was prescribed Gaviscon for reflux and it ain't made a difference at all.So back to the GP (€45!) we go.Now we've been prescribed Losec and Carabel (€145 per month!!!!!)
    . Anyone come across these before.The bad news is the chemists don't stock it and it takes 5days to get it in...
    I thought reflux was quite common so was surprised it's not stocked.Baba is drooling and chewing his hands no end so I reckon the tootsies are coming too.Its tough watching them go through so much but amazing how fast they grow. 14 weeks ago he wasn't here and now it's smiles all say..SO worth it...

Hello all...
    It's been quiet here for a few days!!we all coping??
    My wee fella was prescribed Gaviscon for reflux and it ain't made a difference at all.So back to the GP (€45!) we go.Now we've been prescribed Losec and Carabel (€145 per month!!!!!)
    . Anyone come across these before.The bad news is the chemists don't stock it and it takes 5days to get it in...
    I thought reflux was quite common so was surprised it's not stocked.Baba is drooling and chewing his hands no end so I reckon the tootsies are coming too.Its tough watching them go through so much but amazing how fast they grow. 14 weeks ago he wasn't here and now it's smiles all say..SO worth it...

my twins are on losec since 7 weeks. One is worse than the other and is on 18mg per day. They are not on carobel as they get very constipated on thickened formula.

my twins are on losec since 7 weeks. One is worse than the other and is on 18mg per day. They are not on carobel as they get very constipated on thickened formula.

I was thinking you had said they had reflux!!
    What do u think of the Losec?Is it doing the job.I know he needs something to help but the cost is ridiculous.I asked the GP about reducing feeds and starting a wee bit of food and she said not to and to wait until he's 6months.Am I right in thinking you were told to!

Is it the liquid Losec u get or the tablet form.Massive price difference €145v€15 especially if u can crush the tablet and add water!!think I might try this next month if Losec does the job..

I was thinking you had said they had reflux!!
    What do u think of the Losec?Is it doing the job.I know he needs something to help but the cost is ridiculous.I asked the GP about reducing feeds and starting a wee bit of food and she said not to and to wait until he's 6months.Am I right in thinking you were told to!

Is it the liquid Losec u get or the tablet form.Massive price difference €145v€15 especially if u can crush the tablet and add water!!think I might try this next month if Losec does the job..

On doctors orders and that of the paediatrician my girls started spoon feeds at 16 weeks and are flying it . Having said tgat they have been used to swallowing down the paste the losec leaves on their tongue and have had diluted orange juice mix since 7 weeks so their swallow and gag reflexes are probably more developed than another baby who has only had bottles for 16 weeks.

I use the losec mups. The liquid is poisonously vile stuff and is known as not being as effective as the mups. You can add it to a bottle but even a tiny amount changes the taste of a bottle and the last thing I wanted was to make them less inclined to take a bottle. I tried giving it by syringe and they cried hysterically for two hours. It was dreadful. They literally screamed for two hours straight like someone was murdering them or there was something drastically wrong. You can imagine two 7 week old babies screaming like that for 2 hours and I was on my own with them. I was ready to call an ambulance it was so bad. They were inconsolable.

To give the mups I split a tab in half and taje thepplunger out of a syringe and put the tab in. I draw up a little bit of hot water. When it has dissolved I draw up a very very diluted orange juice mix as the oj helps with activating the losec. One very important thing - YOU DON'T CRUSH THEM!!!! If you do they won't work. Also you need to use them within 30 mins of dissolving them. I find it easier to put half a tab per syringe - that way if you don't get a syringe in you know its less than 5mg that they missed whereas if yoi put it all on one syringe and some gets spit out you have no clue how much of a dose got taken.

we were told losec wors 50/50 for most kids. A lot depends on why the acid is being produced. Often it is a milk allergy or intolerance. So I would suggest changing milk first. It didn't make any difference for my girls but a lot of people find that even if losec or zantac is still needed it's not as effective unless the baby is dairy free.

Hello lady Sincere THANKS for that.
    My sis in law is paediatric nurse in a hospital and gives me advice but often it's different to what Doctor or pharmacist says and it's an awkward situation of what to do.My OH is in Canada since baba was 4 weeks so I'm quite alone in dealing in these things.
    Yesterday the pharmacist told me I would be able to crush the tablets and dissolve but then the SIL said I couldn't so I felt stuck but now thankfully I have info from someone actually doing this.
    Already I feel far more informed.
    thanks

Hello lady Sincere THANKS for that.
    My sis in law is paediatric nurse in a hospital and gives me advice but often it's different to what Doctor or pharmacist says and it's an awkward situation of what to do.My OH is in Canada since baba was 4 weeks so I'm quite alone in dealing in these things.
    Yesterday the pharmacist told me I would be able to crush the tablets and dissolve but then the SIL said I couldn't so I felt stuck but now thankfully I have info from someone actually doing this.
    Already I feel far more informed.
    thanks

Good luck! Its a bitch in the beginning when the symptoms are really bad and exhausting but once they get on the right treatment things usually do improve. And when they can sit better etc that all helps.

You can break the tablets in two and then into water but don't crush...you need those littke granules to be in tact when they hit the stomach. I split it in two because as soon as the liquid meets it they start to melt almost immediately. But if you leave them whole it can take a while for the coating to melt. Also don't give milk for at least 30 mins after as it will neutralise the stomach acid and you actually need a bit of acidity in the tummy for them to work. Also give on an empty stomach or 30 mins after a feed at least. I give mine theirs in a small spoon of pear purée. They can have food with it just not milk. Finally don't give any gaviscon an hour before or after.

my girls aldo attend a cranial osteopath and I think it id helping so that might be something to consider.

Well I got a call from the pharmacy to say I can pick up the tablets tomorrow.Ive been giving him caravel today with great results. Hes had 3 bottles now and only 1 spit up.My SIL says to try that on its own for a few days cos we might not need the Losec.
    Fingers crossed as I'd rather not have to be giving him too much different stiff.They're so young .Hes been in great form today(so far!!!) so hopefully the caravel is agreeing with him..

Well I got a call from the pharmacy to say I can pick up the tablets tomorrow.Ive been giving him caravel today with great results. Hes had 3 bottles now and only 1 spit up.My SIL says to try that on its own for a few days cos we might not need the Losec.
    Fingers crossed as I'd rather not have to be giving him too much different stiff.They're so young .Hes been in great form today(so far!!!) so hopefully the caravel is agreeing with him..

Great news! Try to also get him to take sime cooled boiled water as the thickening agents like carobel and gaviscon can cause constipation. If he gets sick a lot then it sounds more like reflux than silent reflux. Pukey reflux can more often be resolved with a thicker feed. Hopefully his cries are discomfort from the regurgitation rather than from acid. If so then you probably wont need losec.

• Advertisement

I must say Hello Lady you are well up on your stuff.Are you in the healthcare industry or just learnt a lot with the twins?
    The reason I say that is that you mention the giving water which is exactly what my SIL said earlier.
    it's great to hear the same things as you know it's probably right.

Advertisement