Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swords Club League suspended

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

In my opinion, this should be viewed as an extremely negative development.

Whilst that list looks very sensible, the critical part of this is "The Gardai will review this [Risk Assessment] document and then determine exactly what assistance is required".

That reads a lot like "racing on open roads is illegal unless and until we say it isn't". Not only that, but the approval process is for each and every race.

I have no particular opinion on how Swords club have handled this, since I'm not a member it isn't any of my business. I do, however, feel that this has potential to severely compromise bicycle road racing which has a long, safe tradition in Ireland, and I'm also bothered by the fact that the source of the original complaint was one guard who was upset about access to his driveway.

Cycling Ireland should be all over this. I suspect they are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭dooverylittle

I am a park wheelers member this year, but if I can’t participate in a club league next year I might have to have a rethink.
    However the league might be a dull affair if it is swords CC members only, and by the sounds of it with the amount of marshals you require there wont be anyone left to race!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

Lumen wrote: »

Cycling Ireland should be all over this. I suspect they are not.
    The treasurer is aware of this as he is a member and I have no doubt we will be alll over this when we get the full facts.

What I would say I hope its the same for any sporting event in their jurisdication, running, Gaa matches etc.

morana wrote: »
    The treasurer is aware of this as he is a member and I have no doubt we will be alll over this when we get the full facts.

What I would say I hope its the same for any sporting event in their jurisdication, running, Gaa matches etc.

Does the G in GAA not stand for Garda? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

One VERY important question remains.....................Am I the league champion or is it the Polish fella :confused::p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Junior

Is there anything to be said for saying another mass lads ?

On a more serious note this seems like pandering to one incident which isn't reflective of reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Are GAA matches held on public roads? I thought they played there matches on Private property? :confused:

the gardai did show me the risk assement document for the Dublin City Marathon, which is run on closed roads.

Any assistance from Cycling Ireland would be much appreciated Morana

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Are GAA matches held on public roads? I thought they played there matches on Private property? :confused:

the gardai did show me the risk assement document for the Dublin City Marathon, which is run on closed roads.

Any assistance from Cycling Ireland would be much appreciated Morana

Yes but what if something happened in the private ground? What evacuation procedures etc are in place. What about traffic going to venue etc. I remember covering stuff like this on my Health and Safety course. Also, the website/office has a RA template which you get.

Get the details to Sam and myself and we can get going on sorting this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Spokes of Glory

I get the impression that some posters are suggesting that Swords should somehow get into a legalistic argument with the gardai about whether they have or haven't the power to prevent racing on public roads.

Whatever the strict legal position, Swords CC depends on local community and gardai goodwill to conduct its league, open racing program and other events. If the gardai say these measures are needed, I don't think the club has a choice other than to work with them, and implement appropriate event management practices that balance participant and public safety, the gardai's obligation to public road-users, and the rights of the club.

While its obviously a disappointment to cancel the league, bear in mind the club has to consider the future working relationship with the gardai, not just 2012.

Spokes (ex club sec.)

I get the impression that some posters are suggesting that Swords should somehow get into a legalistic argument with the gardai about whether they have or haven't the power to prevent racing on public roads.

I don't envy the Swords CC "management" in having to deal with issue, neither am I criticising them.

Personally speaking, when someone threatens me with the law I either ignore them or call a lawyer. That's just me though.

The right course of action is only knowable with hindsight, if at all.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

As someone who does a good bit of voluntary work in large events , GAA, runs etc I can definitively say that yes these are also required to submit these plans to AGS and venues in particular have alot more to add to the requirements that have been posted here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Probably best to work with the Guards than argue.

I think getting into a legalistic argument won't work - the Guards won't be changing their position unless a court rules on it and the price of judicial review in the High Court is (I imagine) beyond the resources of most clubs.

The Guards no doubt knew this racing was going on - but as long as no one was complaining they weren't going to involve themselves. Hopefully the Garda who kicked all this off has now been transferred to the anti-sheep shagging patrol in Donegal.

One point of comparison though is road bowling!! Having run into a few competitions in and around Louth when on the bike there's no way those boys are getting roads closed! And they're chucking big lumps of metal down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Buffalo wrote:
    Is there a scenario where the Gardaí won't actually be involved on the night, they just sign off on you having sufficient marshalls at junctions and in vehicles?

My understanding is that if it is to be run similar to a rolling road closure then the Gardai are the only ones with the power to stop traffic. If there is a Garda presence and their service provided then I would imagine this is likely to cost and be reflected the League Fees in 2013
    However the league might be a dull affair if it is swords CC members only, and by the sounds of it with the amount of marshals you require there wont be anyone left to race!
    It's nice to mix it up a little with visitors but there's plenty of members left to race each week. Unlike Orwell it's not a requirement to wear your club jersey in the league so there may be more members racing than you think!
    07lapierre wrote:

Sounds a bit overkill to me! Compare an assessment of bike racing of 60-80 participants to that of tens of thousands of participants held once a year? :confused: Thank God CI have a more relevant template!

Jawgap wrote: »
    I think getting into a legalistic argument won't work - the Guards won't be changing their position unless a court rules on it and the price of judicial review in the High Court is (I imagine) beyond the resources of most clubs

You don't need to go to court to prove that something is legal. It's legal by default.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Lumen wrote: »
    You don't need to go to court to prove that something is legal. It's legal by default.

Legal is a matter of opinion - it's rarely absolute.

In the "what's-legal-and-what's-not" food chain the Guards take direction from the Courts - you'd need a judicial review and a judge to certify an interpretation that differs significantly from a Garda view to get them to change their mind.

It doesn't help that they (the Guards) tend to be very conservative in their interpretations.

Hungrycol wrote: »

Sounds a bit overkill to me! Compare an assessment of bike racing of 60-80 participants to that of tens of thousands of participants held once a year? :confused: Thank God CI have a more relevant template!

According to the Gardai, Its not the number of participants that is the issue.The issue is that the event is held on Public Roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

According to the Gardai, Its not the number of participants that is the issue.The issue is that the event is held on Public Roads.
    I think we need to remember we are members of the public to and have rights to its not all one way,i just want to ride my bike

I think we need to remember we are members of the public to and have rights to its not all one way,i just want to ride my bike

True, but I guess on a purely practical basis there are a number of obvious ways that a suitably irritated guard could disrupt a road race, and there wouldn't be much anyone involved could do about it other than issue a complaint.

Whatever the strict legal position, Swords CC depends on local community and gardai goodwill to conduct its league, open racing program and other events. If the gardai say these measures are needed, I don't think the club has a choice other than to work with them, and implement appropriate event management practices that balance participant and public safety, the gardai's obligation to public road-users, and the rights of the club.

While its obviously a disappointment to cancel the league, bear in mind the club has to consider the future working relationship with the gardai, not just 2012.

Spokes (ex club sec.)

Want your job back? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I must say, personally, I'd have no problem at all paying more money and having a garda presence at club and open races.

Another simple safety measure: Zero points for bunch gallops! :pac: If you can't get away and stay away, you get shag all !

• Advertisement

Does anyone truly believe safety is the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,730 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I only started racing this year and I was highly impressed with the setup, professionalism and the drive to keeping things safe for both the public and the racers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

fat bloke wrote:
    I must say, personally, I'd have no problem at all paying more money and having a garda presence at club and open races.
    Problem is the leagues are used a lot toward traing for open races where prize money & points are available. If it's turning out to be expensive peeps won't do the league and train themselves or with a chain gang instead. Having said this €40 for something like 18 league races is cheap, even double this would still be cheap!
    Inquitus wrote: »
    I only started racing this year and I was highly impressed with the setup, professionalism and the drive to keeping things safe for both the public and the racers.

I guess that's why the committee feels it's not going to be a radical change from the norm, just perhaps more pre races formalities like pre-registration, community notifications and marshal training.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I doubt it, but it is a key factor to stress when discussing this with anyone. The initial complaint is obviously one man getting delayed and obviously just annoyed that he was asked to stop by a marshal, the safety aspect seems to be of no concern to the original complainant as the letter of the law seems to be more important. As a former farmer, I suppose he could have written a letter to my family or several dairy farmers, who walk their cattle short distances along public roads giving out about the hold up under health and safety but it would be clear to everyone it would be more of a case of, being delayed and getting annoyed about it. In general a bike race would do less to delay traffic than my MF135 but its harder to find an excuse to complain about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭crosswords

Speaking as a Health & Safety Professional I think the (effective) imposed suspension of the league by the authorities is yet another unfortunate example of "safety" being used to curtail important recreational activities.

(Banning running in the playground is a useful analogy here).

In all road racing events there are real risks but they are manageable, and have been well managed for many years by the club.

It is also worth noting that the risks to non participants (other road users) are extremely low.

The risks to riders are significant, we all know this, and we all accept these risk when we sign on.

I think the club has handled the situation very well, in the face of serious pressure.

The only way out of this is put the risk assessments and the control meaures in place, and demonstrate, in writing, to the authorites that the league is indeed "safe".

Sports events will never be risk free.

Safety is a very subjective term.

Society must accept that sports events are useful, positive, and beneficial. Joe Public needs to realise that there is more to life than working, shopping, and TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

Inquitus wrote: »

Same here, first year and was really enjoying the league. Great setup and still find it hard to believe this complaint has ended with the suspension of our league. Fully back committee on the decisions made as they do so with all our interests at heart. Will a TT or Hill climb still be arranged, or even a couple of midweek evening club spins (except tonight)?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,303 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You are welcome to join Swordscc for 2013...that way your guaranteed entry to the league ;)
    ... but not guaranteed entry into the league races, if numbers are to be limited;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭wav1

I sincerely wish you all well in resolving this issue going forward as i feel it will have a serious knock on effect for all road race promoters.It is my opinion though that ''they'' just cant stop road racing as this was thrashed out on behalf of the ras some years ago,and i think the people who dealt with it then,would be a good source of advice in this regard.I drove in the cavalcade at the recent Tour of Armagh and to see the control the PSNI have over events in the North is mind boggling.You nearly have to seek permission from police control to have a stop for a call of nature.I would hate to see us have to go the same route with limited fields etc.Imagine having to turn away about 200 riders from some of the early season events.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

CJC999 wrote: »
    The Incident in question may have been witnessed by a guard but the letter would have been issued from the swords district superintendent. A guard would not take it upon himself to issue any form of letter without the backing of his superintendent.

I would be interested in knowing if this is accurate?

I'll put it like this, the superintendent is the senior figure in each District. Everything that goes on in that district is sanctioned by the Supt. I cannot see a situation where a guard takes it upon himself to issue a letter to a club regarding health/safety issues surrounding road racing with out the day so from the superintendent. There is a chain of command and the guard is lowest link in that chain.

It could be easily clarified if the OP stated who signed the letter and from what office it came from.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,303 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

CJC999 wrote: »

It could be easily clarified if the OP stated who signed the letter and from what office it came from.
    The OP has not seen the letter and does not know if it was issued in a personal or official capacity

TBH, the discussion has moved on from that initial incident. The club is in a position where it is now discussing with the Gardai how racing can re-commence in a form they will support

Advertisement