Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigrants that come to Ireland then run the country down all the time

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Agreed. The problem is when people slag us off talking about cake.

You've never heard of "The National Cake"?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Airitech wrote: »
    McDonald's is better than Supermac's.

Blasphemy :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Well if they aren't happy here there are plenty of airports from which they are free to return to their own 'wonderful mother' countries.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    I just KNEW it !....yet another run-down-the-Germans thread.

What did the Germans ever do on us to deserve this lampooning ? ;)

The Germans never stop criticizing us :(

Remember the German ambassador a few years back?
    In his 15-minute speech the ambassador said:

Ireland was a "coarse place".

Junior ministers here earned more than the German Chancellor.

Some 20pc of the population were public servants.

Our "chaotic" hospital waiting lists would not be tolerated anywhere else.

Wage demands were too high.

Our immigration policy was wrong and we had learned nothing from Germany or the Nordic countries.

He also cited the doctors' rejection of €200,000 a year posts on the basis that this sum was "Mickey Mouse" money and referred to the former dominant position of the Catholic Church within the country.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/reprimand-for-german-envoy-over-his-coarse-irish-speech-1081773.html

Coming in here and critizing our country :mad:

Dermot Ahern stood up for us, good man
    The ambassador was severely reprimanded by the Minister for Foreign Affairs, who phoned his embassy to condemn the "unbalanced picture he painted of Ireland".

We never got an apology!

Should have started a boycott back then.
    Sure it was the Irish who gave the term boycotting to the world :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I had a romanian lad tell me that Ireland is a sh*thole and that back home the pensioners can retire at 55 and lead a much better life than the pensioners here.

He also gave me advice on the poor state of our healthcare, food and road networks.

I asked him is he happy here and would he ever return home.

His reply "ah jesus no"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Shams wrote: »
    Complaining about the Country and its people?

Sounds like hes become more Irish than the Irish

The guy makes an effort to blend in and adopt one of our local traits and he gets his head bitten off for his troubles.
    You just can't win :pac:

mikemac1 wrote: »
    The Germans never stop criticizing us :(

Remember the German ambassador a few years back?

Coming in here and critizing our country :mad:

Dermot Ahern stood up for us, good man

We never got an apology!

Should have started a boycott back then.
    Sure it was the Irish who gave the term boycotting to the world :cool:

We should have listened to him and others.

It's After Hours, not politics forum

You missed my smilies ;)

It's After Hours, not politics forum

You missed my smilies ;)

OOPs my bad

Sorry:o

Post fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Bit of a balancing act really, as taxpayers it is a right or duty to question how the money gets wasted by our elected clowns, but then, a little decorum wouldn't hurt either in the non Irish guy either.

I live in Sweden, and am constanly asked by the aboriginals, of my opinions on the country,I answer through the rose-tinted goggles veiw,it's great, I love it! which is true, any gripes I might have are usually expressed among other forigeners, we just don't want to be accused of ingratitude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

Duzzer wrote: »
    What annoys me is people who came from a slum in a third world country complaining about housing here.
    over the years have known many third world immigrants due to how popular the care/support industry is as a job for them.
    but have personaly never known any immigrants who came from very poor third world countries and bolloked the state of housing in the UK,have only ever heard this being said by people 'who hear it from someone else',it feels like something they make up to validate their biases.

all the TW immigrants that do know and have known have been incredibly positive about the places they live in,including those who lived in houses in need of repair & rough estates full of poverty/crime/anti social behavior.
    the only thing have heard people complain about is racism aimed at them, however due to their experiences of real racism some are so hypervigilant that they see racism where it doesnt exist-the biased folks amongst us see this as people 'playing the race card',but anyone who has suffered from significant discrimination and abuse in their life over a core part of what makes them; them will be hypervigilant to it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭horsemaster

Integration doesn't work.
    Multiculturalism works to a degree when there is a common language or religion that ethnic groups can share.
    Take France for example, Arabic Muslims are not integrating with the French.
    The problem is cultural. The French do not overtly express religious beliefs, they keep them private and reserved. However the Arabic people that come to France are trying to impose their overt Muslim faith on the French.
    This clash of culture is causing friction between the French and Arab immigrants.
    They are just too different culturally to integrate, it can never work.
    Its no different to the cultural apartheid that exists in the North between the Orange Order and Republicans. They will never be able to integrate with each others cultures.
    Palestinians and Jews in Israel is yet another example, and it goes on and on, the world over.
    Immigrants just need to respect the people of the country they are in, and likewise the people need to be tolerant of the immigrants beliefs.

Integrations has worked in many countries. India, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Brazil, Cuba, Jamaica, Argentina, etc. The list goes on and on. Ireland cannot stay in the side. The world is now multicultural. No country is isolated in its culture, religion, etc. (maybe Bhhutan?) Every country is affected in some way. Ireland has been isolated for a long time historically and only in the past few decades have really opened. It does not matter if a person accepts this or likes it, but the only way is forward. There will be more people of different cultures coming into Ireland and living here. Better to embrace them than to isolate them. But please don't feel angry. Every country is going through this. I understand your feelings. But change is inevitable. We all move on. Would it have helped if you taled to the person a bit more and asked him why he criticized the Irish and Ireland that way? Sometimes people say things when they feel very frustrated and been treated unfairly. Talking to the person and finding what really caused him to say what he said might be a great start. You might even agree with him or might even sympathise with his views. On the other hand, he might be completely wrong. Things seldom are what they seem in the surface. Be the better person, and be kind and understanding. Be his friend and help him with his issues. He is talking out anger and negative feelings and you did the same. Nobody will win in this situation. How about a win-win situation by having a heart to heart talk with him. You might have a new lifelong friend! Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Loads of irish in Oz put down the locals

Scruffles wrote: »
    over the years have known many third world immigrants due to how popular the care/support industry is as a job for them.
    but have personaly never known any immigrants who came from very poor third world countries and bolloked the state of housing in the UK,have only ever heard this being said by people 'who hear it from someone else',it feels like something they make up to validate their biases.

all the TW immigrants that do know and have known have been incredibly positive about the places they live in,including those who lived in houses in need of repair & rough estates full of poverty/crime/anti social behavior.
    the only thing have heard people complain about is racism aimed at them, however due to their experiences of real racism some are so hypervigilant that they see racism where it doesnt exist-the biased folks amongst us see this as people 'playing the race card',but anyone who has suffered from significant discrimination and abuse in their life over a core part of what makes them; them will be hypervigilant to it as well.

Your mistake was even answering that post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

The people who are upset with their situation tend to be homesick, or simply sentimental about their life back home.

This is it. Coming to a new country is a culture shock.

Over 1,000 Brazilians in Gort and not a hurler or footballer among them

And then Galway United went bust

I was expecting a samba revolution for the tribesmen, disappointing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Over 1,000 Brazilians in Gort and not a hurler or footballer among them

And then Galway United went bust

I was expecting a samba revolution for the tribesmen, disappointing :(
    maybe not,but surely some cool hybridization will happen

Sean Seamus Patrick turlough de burca

meat cutter

Duck Soup wrote: »
    Better a foreigner tells the truth than an Irish person wraps themselves in a tricolour and says we're the bestest damned country in the whole wide world.

Well, that's if it is the truth. It could be, or it could be the exaggeration of a homesick ex-pat. And pointing out that it might be an exaggeration doesn't make one a patriot numpty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

That is why I did not state the nationality of the immigrant.

Why is that important?

You clearly are racist, as by posting that you indicate that you have a mental graph on some nationalities being worse than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

OP, you made a few critical mistakes here which led to your being disembowelled.

First, You are new. This is not good because you could be a rereg and the locals here arent sure if you're someone who was originally cast out from among them or just an outsider.

Second, -This is more serious, you used a word in your username which implies that you might'nt be from "town", - in this case Dublin. Therefore you are probably the intellectual equivalent of a cow, with the sophistication of a Healy Rae. Obviously you smell too.

Third, You criticised someone who wasn't Irish. This is bad, very very bad. Only irish people who are white, Catholic, male and over 45 may criticised here. Otherwise you are clearly a racist, homophobic, xenophobic, anti-semitic, misogynistic, letdown, and should be killed with fire immediately.

Welcome to After Hours,- unless youre a rereg troll :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Where you get a large population of any single ethnic group in a town or city it quickly becomes a ghetto.

Well you're right there.

There is a massive caucasion population in Tallaght, Ballymun, Dolphins barn etc, and sure they're ghettos.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Op , you should listen to global village, on newstalk allot of the same on that program.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,982 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Those North Koreans never run down their country, and if they happen to have an immigrant, I bet he doesn't run it down either.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Those North Koreans never run down their country, and if they happen to have an immigrant, I bet he doesn't run it down either.

Well, they don't call it best Korea for nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭paulheu

I am originally from The Netherlands and while I enjoy being and working here there is plenty that goes on in Ireland which makes me wonder what the frek are you thinking as well as me being annoyed at some of the stuff Irish in general seem to accept as normal.

That said, it's human nature to bitch and moan about the place you live and work and in general that's more a sign that you care then anything else..

At this time in my life I'll gladly take the idiocies of the Irish and this country with the fun and joy I find in being here. But don't expect me to be silent about it though..

Welcome to Ireland

Apologize for everything :pac:

20 stone monster bumps into you? You say sorry!

You need a shop assistant to get something behind the counter? You better say sorry.

Lots of people blocking you in the bus aisle and you want to get off. You must say sorry to them as you squeeze past.

Never complain in a restaurant when you get lousy service.

Elect the same rogues every election and don't demand more.

Now you're a local :cool:

Welcome to Ireland

Apologize for everything :pac:

20 stone monster bumps into you? You say sorry!

You need a shop assistant to get something behind the counter? You better say sorry.

Lots of people blocking you in the bus aisle and you want to get off. You must say sorry to them as you squeeze past.

Never complain in a restaurant when you get lousy service.

Elect the same rogues every election and don't demand more.

Now you're a local :cool:

People like at me like I have leprosy because I say the more sensible "excuse me" instead of "sorry". :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

And more new names get added to the kill list.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement