Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigrants that come to Ireland then run the country down all the time

Options
  • 02-02-2013 12:10am
    Site Banned Posts: 49

Recently I witnessed an immigrant who had come to Ireland running down the country to an Irish man. The Irish man took so much, and held his tongue. But it went on, and on, and then the immigrant started to run down the Irish.
    At this point the Irish man snapped, and said; how dare you come to my country and run down my people? Don't you ever dare run down the Irish or Ireland. If you don't like it here, then why did you come? Go home if you don't like us or our country.
    This made me think. Would I emigrate to another country and start running down its people or the country? I think not.
    As bad as Ireland is, and its people; I don't think immigrants should come here and run it down. The Irish run down their own people, and country enough as it is.
    I for one am sick of people doing this. I have pride in my people and my country.
    That is why I am not emigrating, I am living through the recession. Its hard enough to do that as it is, without listening to people running the country down.
    After much thought, I thought the Irish man that put the immigrant down had a point. He stood up for what he believed in; Ireland and the Irish.
    What do you think? Was he right or wrong to do that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

I see your point but anyone has he right to moan about this country if they wish regardless of where they are from.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Recently I witnessed an immigrant who had come to Ireland running down the country to an Irish man. The Irish man took so much, and held his tongue. But it went on, and on, and then the immigrant started to run down the Irish.
    At this point the Irish man snapped, and said; how dare you come to my country and run down my people? Don't you ever dare run down the Irish or Ireland. If you don't like it here, then why did you come? Go home if you don't like us or our country.
    This made me think. Would I emigrate to another country and start running down its people or the country? I think not.
    As bad as Ireland is, and its people; I don't think immigrants should come here and run it down. The Irish run down their own people, and country enough as it is.
    I for one am sick of people doing this. I have pride in my people and my country.
    That is why I am not emigrating, I am living through the recession. Its hard enough to do that as it is, without listening to people running the country down.
    After much thought, I thought the Irish man that put the immigrant down had a point. He stood up for what he believed in; Ireland and the Irish.
    Everyone is entitled to voice an opinion immigrant or not. It might not be good manners but the man shouldn't have reacted in that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Yeah, down with free speech!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Complaining about the Country and its people?

Sounds like hes become more Irish than the Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Where D'you read this O.P, in a Dick and Jane book? "He ran down the Irish". Did he. Really. Doubtful,,tbh.

Hate the phrase, but "thinly veiled - I'm a Taxi driver" thread. I employ a load of "foreidgners", and they all think they've died and gone to heaven here, never heard one of them run Ireland down, ever. Usually too busy running down the kips they came from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

i agree op but the do gooders are going to shoot you down on this one

• Site Banned Posts: 49 johnnycarrick

Pottler wrote: »
    Where D'you read this O.P, in a Dick and Jane book? "He ran down the Irish". Did he. Really. Doubtful,,tbh.

Hate the phrase, but "thinly veiled - I'm a Taxi driver" thread.

I swear on my Mothers life (RIP) that I witnessed this conversation in my friends living room.
    I am no racist if that's what you are implying by calling me a Taxi Driver.
    That is why I did not state the nationality of the immigrant. It doesn't matter, the point is do you think its right for an immigrant to run down Ireland and the Irish?
    I think its wrong to emigrate to a country and run down it, and its people. Its bad form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

depends was the immigrant getting the dole ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Yeah, down with free speech!
    Is that the immigrants or the Irishman's free speech? It works both ways ;)

duckysauce wrote: »
    depends was the immigrant getting the dole ?

Both working men.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

Turning a story about one immigrant into the "immigrants" that you put in your thread title is a bit of a leap op.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Did he do this while eating a swan?

And I bet he wasnt a foreigner, he was probably from Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Is it just me, or do the people I see posting on here live in some sort of xenophobe's wet dream of a parallel universe? Because nothing I see posted here ever happens IRL, despite how widespread it's reported to be.

I swear on my Mothers life (RIP) that I witnessed this conversation in my friends living room.
    I am no racist if that's what you are implying by calling me a Taxi Driver.
    That is why I did not state the nationality of the immigrant. It doesn't matter, the point is do you think its right for an immigrant to run down Ireland and the Irish?
    I think its wrong to emigrate to a country and run down it, and its people. Its bad form.
    Will you ever go way and stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

So one immigrant started running the country down.

Big deal.

When I saw the people being made Irish citizens on the tellybox a few weeks ago they all looked delighted with themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

What did he say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Ah c'mon, if you're gonna make shit up to get people riled up at least have some creativity!

Seriously, watch the news, everybody tuts about stuff like this but they have heard it all before, but when a woman throws a kitten in a wheelie bin or something then it's really pitchfork time. Think small, but something that people can relate to that really gets to them.

Try something about the neighbours leaving their rubbish in front of your kerb or something along those lines, everyday little things that make you want to stab someone in the face with a fork after a long day at the office.

2/10 for this effort, you can do better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Airitech

In that situation if the Irish guy doesn't agree with the immigrant he should argue his own side, no point shouting go home at him.

If he does agree with the immigrant but doesn't like a non national expressing that view, well everyone is allowed their opinion, regardless of where they are from or how informed they are on the subject.

You might want to clarify do you mean all immigrants. Americans, English, French are all immigrants here as are the many professionals from India, Pakistan etc.

Or do you specifically mean people who have been granted refugee status here. If that's the case I can kind of see how someone would take the view that they shouldn't run down a country that has granted them asylum but they should still express grievances they have.

If you feel they are out of line call them out on it but anyone can do better than "go back where you came from". Challenge the points they make or just ignore them. No point making yourself look stupid with some ignorant comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

So many Irish b*tch and moan about this country now that it's probably seen as the norm, you want to fit in then complain.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Did he do this while eating a swan?

And I bet he wasnt a foreigner, he was probably from Leitrim.

I would prefer not to reveal the immigrants nationality as its irrelevant. (But he wasn't from the nation that eat swans).
    The conversation took place in Dublin, and it was actually a Galway man that put the immigrant down. He took the fair criticism of Ireland, but when it came to criticising the Irish; that was too much for him to take.
    I put it to the immigrant myself; I would not emigrate to your country then run it down or its people to you. I have respect. I might have my opinions on your country and your people, but I would keep them to myself.
    He took on board what I said, and I never heard him run down Ireland or the Irish again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Aliana

He took on board what I said, and I never heard him run down Ireland or the Irish again.

Yet you still start a thread about it, hmmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

Lol I run the country down all the time to my friends! Patriotism in this country just means supporting the "boys in green" on various regulation pitches anyway.

I would prefer not to reveal the immigrants nationality as its irrelevant. (But he wasn't from the nation that eat swans).
    The conversation took place in Dublin, and it was actually a Galway man that put the immigrant down. He took the fair criticism of Ireland, but when it came to criticising the Irish; that was too much for him to take.
    I put it to the immigrant myself; I would not emigrate to your country then run it down or its people to you. I have respect. I might have my opinions on your country and your people, but I would keep them to myself.
    Well done, your shamrock is in the post. Personally, I'd give a shyte, sure there's loads wrong here, and loads wrong there. You sound like a member of the Chieftans.

orestes wrote: »
    Ah c'mon, if you're gonna make shit up to get people riled up at least have some creativity!

Seriously, watch the news, everybody tuts about stuff like this but they have heard it all before, but when a woman throws a kitten in a wheelie bin or something then it's really pitchfork time. Think small, but something that people can relate to that really gets to them.

Try something about the neighbours leaving their rubbish in front of your kerb or something along those lines, everyday little things that make you want to stab someone in the face with a fork after a long day at the office.

2/10 for this effort, you can do better.

True story. I swear on my Mother's life (RIP).
    Isn't it funny how the truth is less believable than fiction sometimes?
    For the record, I am no story teller. I just tell it how it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Having met many other Irish people in various countries, they are just as bad at running down other countries and nationalities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

I agree with the op....you don't go to Eddie rockets moan About the food then keep going back everyday if your not happy go somewhere else...

If Irish lads in Australia moaned to Australians about the Aussies and the country they be told to F:/€ off... Nothing wrong with having some pride

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Is that the immigrants or the Irishman's free speech? It works both ways ;)

Fair point, I think? People can say what they want regardless of where they're from and where they currently are. Disagreements are also allowed. Just telling someone to shut up isn't much of a rebuttal, more a lack of one.

Having met many other Irish people in various countries, they are just as bad at running down other countries and nationalities.

Agreed, I have seen this myself sadly.
    The Irish love to run down Ireland and the Irish when at home, and then whatever country or its people they are visiting. Its like a national pastime.
    I actually think the Irish run down the Irish more than any immigrants, but I take exception to them doing it here. Sometimes you can have an opinion, but its best kept to yourself.
    I can honestly say I have never visited a country and run down it, or its people.
    I don't have a problem with immigrants coming to Ireland, they are welcome as far as I am concerned. I just have a problem listening to them running Ireland and the Irish down that's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Both working men.

they can moan away so

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

....and again, what did he say?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement