Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mullingar - Athlone Greenway progress?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pat25c

Where are the white gates?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭guylikeme

pat25c wrote: »
    Where are the white gates?

Where the ballymahon road(r915 n55 near rsc roundabout) meets the track

• Registered Users Posts: 12,862 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Basically, the old style level crossing gates.
    R915

https://goo.gl/maps/snRTmPk8ry82

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Clearance work has started on the section from Garrycastle in towards town.

397776.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Where abouts is that picture taken?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Where abouts is that picture taken?

At the bridge from Retreat to Garrycastle, facing toward town. Back would be to the green railings at the start of the currently completed stretch of the track.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

If you are a motorist then this is the infamous Garrycastle bridge.

Just noticed that Google Maps have updated their Athlone imagery, first kilometre or two of the Greenway are visible on it.

In 3D as well which is pretty cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Mearings wrote: »
    If you are a motorist then this is the infamous Garrycastle bridge.

No it isn't. This bridge is between the schools (Marist->Bower convent). Garycastle is the next bridge eastbound.

No it isn't. This bridge is between the schools (Marist->Bower convent). Garycastle is the next bridge eastbound.

No its not, it's the Garrycastle bridge, the bridge between the schools is on the Galway - Dublin line, not the Athlone - Mullingar line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭amacca

Have they finally applied tarmac to the km or two before the run in to garrycastle on the mullingar side?

couldn't understand why nearly all of the section they did do had tarmac on it except that little bit left with shingles

amacca wrote: »
    Have they finally applied tarmac to the km or two before the run in to garrycastle on the mullingar side?

couldn't understand why nearly all of the section they did do had tarmac on it except that little bit left with shingles
    It's the bog surface underneath. So that piece stays as it is.

flazio wrote: »
    It's the bog surface underneath. So that piece stays as it is.

Too soft? the tarmac would crack?

They Iarnrod Eireann boys mustve put some foundation under the train tracks or had a hell of a maintenance schedule for that section

Too soft? the tarmac would crack?

They Iarnrod Eireann boys mustve put some foundation under the train tracks or had a hell of a maintenance schedule for that section

Steel and wooden planks have more tolerance for movement than tarmac. There's even little breaks in the tracks with little gaps to allow the steel to expand and contract with the heat and weight of the train.

Steel and wooden planks have more tolerance for movement than tarmac. There's even little breaks in the tracks with little gaps to allow the steel to expand and contract with the heat and weight of the train.

Fair enough...so the cost of ensuring the tarmac doesn't crack etc would be prohibitive then?

Fair enough...so the cost of ensuring the tarmac doesn't crack etc would be prohibitive then?

No idea tbh, I'd say it's just easier to use hard packed gravel and run a roller over it every few months than resurfacing the tarmac every time it cracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Talking about this on Anton Savage show on Today FM, I NEVER even knew this existed, keeping it all for yourselves !!! LOL

Dare to Unicycle go fund me page if anyone is interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

whyulittle wrote: »
    Just noticed that Google Maps have updated their Athlone imagery, first kilometre or two of the Greenway are visible on it.

In 3D as well which is pretty cool!

Is it?
    Just had a look...don't see it

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.4198416,-7.895497,167a,20y,318h,68.83t/data=!3m1!1e3

Try that. Hold Ctrl as you drag the mouse up, down, left, right.

398037.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

I did the Old Rail Trail again on Saturday, with a companion this time. A much better experience to cycle with company. It still took 4 hours to do the full 80 km, but it didn't seem as monotonous as the first time I did it alone. Clearly a lesson learned there to persuade others to join me on longer cycles (for me anyway) in future. A great amenity for Westmeath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

the canal leg from Mullingar to Clondra in Longford is progressing well
    when that is finished it will be a much nicer cycle

I really like the canal cycle in Westmeath as well. Such a good surface. I did Thomastown to Abbeyschrule on a day off during the summer. About 90km roundtrip. Looking forward to doing the next section to Clondra next spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

CapnHex wrote: »
    I really like the canal cycle in Westmeath as well. Such a good surface. I did Thomastown to Abbeyschrule on a day off during the summer. About 90km roundtrip. Looking forward to doing the next section to Clondra next spring.

As above, stopped for tea and scones at Coolnahay Harbour.
    When the full route is completed it'll be fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Are there walkers on the route?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭techdiver

Where does this new route split off in Mullingar?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

CapnHex wrote: »

Where is best to take the Westmeath canal cycle from?

Rasmus wrote: »
    Are there walkers on the route?
    Usually within 5km of any entry gate to the green way. Remember this is a family leisure facility, not a serious sports training centre.

• Advertisement

Looking at the map referenced above, I joined at C03 Thomastown (plenty of parking there), and went as far as Abbeyshrule. I cycle at a leisure pace, and this is definitely a leisure route. Why would you race along in such scenic surroundings! I thought the Old Rail Trail was busier with walkers and families than I've ever seen the canal route, but again plenty of room for all and a bell is a great accessory when required.

Advertisement