Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vasectomy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Zipppy wrote: »
    I'm down there in a month...maybe you'll give an update afterwards?
    Maybe PM me?
    I'm sure it'll be absolutely fine..you'll feel nought..I'm just wondering how long it'll be afterwards until I can go running, cycle etc....
    No problem will keep you posted,I will ask about exercise because I would be the same wanting to get back training as soon as..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

harr wrote: »
    No problem will keep you posted,I will ask about exercise because I would be the same wanting to get back training as soon as..

You'll be fine! Seriously, it's so quick and painless. I would recommend getting a jock strap or VERY tight boxers. It all depends on what exercise you're considering, but I wouldn't go near cycling for a week or 2! I was back running after 2 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

chewed wrote: »
    You'll be fine! Seriously, it's so quick and painless. I would recommend getting a jock strap or VERY tight boxers. It all depends on what exercise you're considering, but I wouldn't go near cycling for a week or 2! I was back running after 2 weeks.

Two weeks sounds like a long time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

Two weeks sounds like a long time...

Really depends on the person. Some people heal quicker, and have less pain or swelling after the op than others.

My husband was back playing GAA after a week, only really rested for the two days following the op.

apparently a pair of budgie-smugglers for support helped lessen the discomfort from "jiggling".

Just an update ,
    Got it done an hour ago ...very easy procedure...in and up on the bed two pinches nothing worse than dentist. I was numb right away all I could feel after that was a bit pulling but no pain, 5 minutes job done.
    Asked about excerice and he said about a week but maybe a bit longer for the bike...sex ok after a week ...so I should be all ok by Wednesday..
    Rest up for two days and take it easy for week...he said to take pain killers as it will get sore when injections wear off..
    So op itself was hassle free and no pain ...will update tomorrow pain wise...
    Could be in heap ...all a bit easy so far 😳

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭Glebee

For Christ sake milk it for all its worth man. Stay on the couch until at least Sunday and then say to other half that you might feel up to going for a few quite Bank Holiday Sunday night drinks...:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Where'd you get it done harr?

Clane,the place on the garage forecourt 😏 can't give names here but it's just a little office in a health centre....
    Might as well give an update, the anaesthetic wore off around 3 or so and I took some painkillers it felt like a kick in the balls with a bit of a sting...on couch most of the day the pain never really went away..ice on balls on and off. By around 7 pain started to go...but still felt uncomfortable. One bit of advice be careful when sitting back down and make sure your balls are out of the way.
    Got it hard to get comfortable in bed but I found by placing small cushion between knees prevented the balls from getting squashed , no pain during night but do wear very night boxers or pants, I wore a tight pair of speedos 😆
    No pain this morning just a bit of stinging and sore to touch so still walking like John Wayne ..by the way they have started to swell a little which the doc said would happen and the bruising might not appear for 3 or 4 days.
    I will take it easy today and over the weekend but i recon come Monday I should be right as rain...hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭Glebee

Far play Har, well done, its hard to descripe the feeling. Its more uncomfortable than sore but still not a nice feeling.

Glebee wrote: »
    Far play Har, well done, its hard to descripe the feeling. Its more uncomfortable than sore but still not a nice feeling.

Yeah, As I said before, it's like that feeling a few mins after getting a good kick in the balls! No pain, no gain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Clane,the place on the garage forecourt 😏 can't give names here but it's just a little office in a health centre....
    Might as well give an update, the anaesthetic wore off around 3 or so and I took some painkillers it felt like a kick in the balls with a bit of a sting...on couch most of the day the pain never really went away..ice on balls on and off. By around 7 pain started to go...but still felt uncomfortable. One bit of advice be careful when sitting back down and make sure your balls are out of the way.
    Got it hard to get comfortable in bed but I found by placing small cushion between knees prevented the balls from getting squashed , no pain during night but do wear very night boxers or pants, I wore a tight pair of speedos 😆
    No pain this morning just a bit of stinging and sore to touch so still walking like John Wayne ..by the way they have started to swell a little which the doc said would happen and the bruising might not appear for 3 or 4 days.
    I will take it easy today and over the weekend but i recon come Monday I should be right as rain...hopefully

How you doing, one week later???

Not bad,the first few days were sore,it was to be expected.No problem up walking around After Friday but I got a whore of a pain Saturday evening ...could have been over doing things a bit...on Monday came the bruising and swelling ,a nice shade of purple ,was sick wearing the tight jocks that this stage so went back to normal boxers...sleeping was a tad awkward...
    Back in the saddle in the bedroom last night no problems just had to take it handy :o
    To be honest it taking that bit longer than I was expecting to heal and for the soreness to disappear ,I tried to go for a quick jog last night not a hope to much movement even with tight jocks on..so I would say it will Monday before I try again and I would definitely recommend to anyone to give it two weeks for exercise .
    Lads I know who got it done and they were fine after a week...but there is no way I could get back on the bike or back to gym yet...will get back to swimming tomorrow and I have been walking 3k a day no problem.
    Anyone who has had it done find it took the two weeks to get back to full normality ?
    Today is the first day I haven't got that ache in my balls,still wearing tracksuits and combats ....
    Pissed off now ,want to get back training ...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Anyone who has had it done find it took the two weeks to get back to full normality ?

Yep definitely took even more than 2 weeks here.That niggling ball pain took probably a month to fully subside.But I was back in work on the Monday after(got it done on a Friday) lifting things etc so I probably should have taken it easier for another day or two--Id say I prolonged the pain myself by lifting etc. But a year on everythings grand.
    Best decision I ever made to be honest.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,146 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I went in for a consult today, finally, and the urologist was saying that it might take 18 weeks for the tube to empty of semem. He mentioned the number 24, ejaculations. Jaysus I said to myself, if I wanted to, I could be done in a week!

Job done yesterday ... Tricky enough..not enough anesthetic... Then couldn't find vas. . good bit of rummaging about, pulling and dragging...and painful...however zero pain or swelling since...like nought...so its happy days...just countdown to all clear now..

Job done yesterday ... Tricky enough..not enough anesthetic... Then couldn't find vas. . good bit of rummaging about, pulling and dragging...and painful...however zero pain or swelling since...like nought...so its happy days...just countdown to all clear now..

Sounds stressful! Where did you get it done?

chewed wrote:
    Sounds stressful! Where did you get it done?

Clane .... Wasn't that bad but kinda expected zero pain....ah well....all good now though...no swelling either....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Any guys that have had this done:

Is it ok to drive yourself to and from the clinic considering its just a local anesthetic? Would you be physically able to drive without pain even if it is ok?

My wife drove me but I would have been well able to drive my self home...

• Advertisement

My wife drove me but I would have been well able to drive my self home...

Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated.

John_D80 wrote:
    Is it ok to drive yourself to and from the clinic considering its just a local anesthetic? Would you be physically able to drive without pain even if it is ok?

I drove myself...not a bother...I only had one slight bit of pain in afternoon...

I drove myself...not a bother...I only had one slight bit of pain in afternoon...

Sound. Thanks for that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭fartingforfun

Do you still get the feeling of shooting your muck?
    Is it just a dribble or still a blast?

All the exact same for me ,no difference ...

Do you still get the feeling of shooting your muck? Is it just a dribble or still a blast?

Pmsl

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭fartingforfun

Pmsl

Honest question?
    We all want to know

Answer is affirmative. ..

And I'm not 48hrs done yet :)

Honest question?
    We all want to know

I haven't noticed any difference since the op! All good down there! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭argentum

Have to say got mine done in town about six years ago and its the best thing I've ever done to improve my sex life.
    No more worries about where the little swimmers go and I even have a letter to prove I'm a Jaffa.
    The pain was fine except about 3 hours after the op and it felt like someone was giving me a quick squeeze on my nuts. Took a pain killer and went to bed next day it was fine .
    Sorry about the next bit of info but after reading a lot about the op before hand I thought I knew everything that would happen but not this. The first time you have a **** after the op you really don't expect to see blood coming out mixed in with your cum, in fact that's the bit that freaked me the most about the whole thing but it only happens twice and then everything went back to normal

argentum wrote: »
    Sorry about the next bit of info but after reading a lot about the op before hand I thought I knew everything that would happen but not this. The first time you have a **** after the op you really don't expect to see blood coming out mixed in with your cum, in fact that's the bit that freaked me the most about the whole thing but it only happens twice and then everything went back to normal

Yes, that did freak me out a bit as well as I wasn't warned it would happen. A quick Google search put my mind at rest though.

• Advertisement

6 days in...not a bother...gonna run tomorrow. .. boxers are back ;)
    Zero pain or swelling...wee bit of bruising gone....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

:D
    The scientific answer is that sperm is 5% or less of the ejaculate volume, so the volume and strength of ejaculation should be unnoticeable for most men.

This is especially so when you consider that volume and strength varies far more with other factors like hydration and level of stimulation.

Any way of getting around the 18 week wait for all clear?
    Home test kits?
    18 weeks is ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Do you think it's just an arbitrary number?

The "way around it " couldn't be simpler, condoms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Do you think it's just an arbitrary number?

The "way around it " couldn't be simpler, condoms.

Pull out

Any way of getting around the 18 week wait for all clear?
    Home test kits?
    18 weeks is ridiculous
    No way around it, doc told me that was the length of time it took for the live sperm to be cleared from your tubes ...18 weeks or 50 to 60 emissions.
    So going on 18 weeks that would be around 3 times a week and even after that there is no guarantee to get the all clear...condoms for now and I don't think I would trust a home testing kit...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭.red.

Does anyone send off an annual sample to get rechecked just in case?
    Im done almost 3 years and my wife is mad for me to get rechecked. Makes sense i suppose but the place that i got done in wants me to drop the sample in but its not very convenient. Id much rather post it off somewhere if possible.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

.red. wrote: »
    Does anyone send off an annual sample to get rechecked just in case?
    Im done almost 3 years and my wife is mad for me to get rechecked. Makes sense i suppose but the place that i got done in wants me to drop the sample in but its not very convenient. Id much rather post it off somewhere if possible.
    Cheers.

I posted off my sample when I had it done. Can't remember the address it went to but the vasectomy was done by yer man in Blanchardstown village. Think he does Clane as well. Maybe give them a shout for the address?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,146 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Got a date for operation, December 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Had this done last Friday, procedure was amazingly quick and straightforward, no real pain once the anaesthetic was administered, dull ache in the area after a few hours (the numbness of the area was the weirdest feeling of all to be fair), nothing some Neurofen didn't sort out though.

Thing is, I've had no real 'pain', no swelling & no bruising, but I do have an uncomfortable 'ache' of sorts and predominantly on one side (I had a single incision just to that side BTW) & am wondering is that the norm 4 days after the job? Now if this ache goes after a few more days & that's as bad as it gets I'd be delighted TBH as its been far less uncomfortable than I had imagined... but sleeping on my stomach is a no no for now as it gets uncomfortable quickly, any kind of bending over to pick stuff off the floor for example is also uncomfortable? Anyone else experience this? If so I'll feel far more relaxed. Just want to get back to normal ASAP really.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

DvB wrote: »
    Had this done last Friday, procedure was amazingly quick and straightforward, no real pain once the anaesthetic was administered, dull ache in the area after a few hours (the numbness of the area was the weirdest feeling of all to be fair), nothing some Neurofen didn't sort out though.

Thing is, I've had no real 'pain', no swelling & no bruising, but I do have an uncomfortable 'ache' of sorts and predominantly on one side (I had a single incision just to that side BTW) & am wondering is that the norm 4 days after the job? Now if this ache goes after a few more days & that's as bad as it gets I'd be delighted TBH as its been far less uncomfortable than I had imagined... but sleeping on my stomach is a no no for now as it gets uncomfortable quickly, any kind of bending over to pick stuff off the floor for example is also uncomfortable? Anyone else experience this? If so I'll feel far more relaxed. Just want to get back to normal ASAP really.
    I had that ache for a couple of weeks, I was fine first few days no pain or discomfort and no real bruising ...my bruising only started I think after about day four...not a huge amount but it was a deep purple colour...
    The ache was only in my left side and at times felt like the after affects of a kick in the balls...took me two full weeks to fully recover,I was fine in work and that but to get back to the gym and running took just over the couple of weeks.
    It is a strange feeling but I wouldn't worry to much about it.

I had awful pain during the procedure and bad swelling and bruising afterwards. It looked very sore but wasnt really. Just like a dull ache. One thing i noticed tho was the grip on the "hammock" they gave me loosened a little and the ache would get worse. I got a safety pin, figured out where the comfort zone was and pinned it up tight and all was good again. The pain/ache lasted about 7/8 days with me but i think i was one of the unlucky ones. I only took pain killers if i needed to go out and do anything. Didnt need them for sitting round the house.

I really had no pain or swelling or bruising ... so I guess everyone is different..

I only really had a bit of tenderness for few weeks then 100%...

Few more weeks now till the all clear and then Yaaahhhooooo :)

I had that ache for a couple of weeks, I was fine first few days no pain or discomfort and no real bruising ...my bruising only started I think after about day four...not a huge amount but it was a deep purple colour...
    The ache was only in my left side and at times felt like the after affects of a kick in the balls...took me two full weeks to fully recover,I was fine in work and that but to get back to the gym and running took just over the couple of weeks.
    It is a strange feeling but I wouldn't worry to much about it.

Sounds pretty much exactly the same as me so, except mines on the right hand side.
    Am keen to get back running, but not a chance about it based on how I feel today anyway. Looks like I can write off the next 10 days or so on that score.

Thanks for the feedback though, much appreciated, feel more relaxed now knowing this will pass in time.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Sounds pretty much exactly the same as me so, except mines on the right hand side.
    Am keen to get back running, but not a chance about it based on how I feel today anyway. Looks like I can write off the next 10 days or so on that score.

Thanks for the feedback though, much appreciated, feel more relaxed now knowing this will pass in time.
    No problem ,I went for a run after the week but was just to sore so left it another week...some lads are different ,a friend of mine had no pain at all and was back playing football after 6 days with no side effects at all..
    I was getting worried I still had the pain into my second week so gave my GP a ring and he assured me that it can be 2 or 3 weeks for recovery.

No problem ,I went for a run after the week but was just to sore so left it another week...some lads are different ,a friend of mine had no pain at all and was back playing football after 6 days with no side effects at all..
    I was getting worried I still had the pain into my second week so gave my GP a ring and he assured me that it can be 2 or 3 weeks for recovery.

Ah, thats good to know.

Didn't want to delve too far into the internet 'research' for fear of finding the usual horror stories & scare mongering re: post op pain & permanent pain etc. (hence not really reading this thread) Suspected this ache & discomfor was probably normal enough given what the wee lads have been through but nice to get reassurance from folk that have been there before.

Nice to know I should be fine by Christmas anyway!

The one tip i would give lads is to take a few pictures before you get it done.
    I was told swelling and bruising was to be expected but if they doubled in size to come back. Mine were awfull, looked like something from a horror movie, the swelling was bad but i couldnt decide if they had doubled or not and having a few pics would have helped. The missus wasnt much use as she was almost empty reaching when i asked her to take a look. I took a few pics with the phone cos it was easier to see them that way and decided to not to go back. After everything was back to normal i took a few more and compared them then.
    They hadnt doubled but werent too far off it.
    I probably should have gone back but being a man decided it would be ok and it was.
    I still wish id have taken before pics for comparrison tho as it would have put my mind at ease.

.red. wrote: »
    The one tip i would give lads is to take a few pictures before you get it done.
    I was told swelling and bruising was to be expected but if they doubled in size to come back. Mine were awfull, looked like something from a horror movie, the swelling was bad but i couldnt decide if they had doubled or not and having a few pics would have helped. The missus wasnt much use as she was almost empty reaching when i asked her to take a look. I took a few pics with the phone cos it was easier to see them that way and decided to not to go back. After everything was back to normal i took a few more and compared them then.
    They hadnt doubled but werent too far off it.
    I probably should have gone back but being a man decided it would be ok and it was.
    I still wish id have taken before pics for comparrison tho as it would have put my mind at ease.

Wow. Glad I hadnt read that before getting it done. How long did it take for the swelling to get that bad? Sounds bloody awful.

Wow. Glad I hadnt read that before getting it done. How long did it take for the swelling to get that bad? Sounds bloody awful.

I seem to have been very unlucky but the pain wasnt bad. Getting it done was a 10/10 pain but as soon as he was done the pain was gone. It was just uncomfortable and once i sorted the hammock i was fine. The swelling and bruising started to go down after about 7/8 days id say and they were back to normal after about 2 weeks. I seem to have been the sorst case of anyone ive spoken to since and even at that id have no probs getting it done again if it hadnt have worked. It looked a lot worse than it was.
    The worst part was at my sons birthday party after 3 days. We were at an indoor play place and one of the kids got stuck up the top and wouldnt come down the slide. His mother asked me to go up for him and i couldnt figure out how to say no. Ha ha. I had to climb up and sit him on my lap to bring him down the slide. My wife asked me was ok cos i was white. I told the mother a few weeks later and she got a great laugh about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

After about 3 years of discussions with my wife,I have decided to get the snip. She has the coil at the moment and it hasn't been kind to her.
    I'm just basically looking for advice.
    Do I approach my gp about this or where go I go to get the ball rolling
    Is it painful?
    Any other advice, I really walking into this blind so any help would be great.

Advertisement