Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can my job ask me to come in 10 mins early

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Mister men wrote: »
    Tell then to do one. If they want you in at 10 minutes to 9 then tell them to draw you up a new contract with extra pay or to forget about it. DON'T let your employer take advantage of you.

Thats the right attitude:eek:

We tend to come in 30 mins early do our work and leave at the normal time, or even work late in the evenings to, if there is work to get done you do it. We never get over time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Thats the right attitude:eek:

We tend to come in 30 mins early do our work and leave at the normal time, or even work late in the evenings to, if there is work to get done you do it. We never get over time!
    So you do 2 and a half hours OT a week without pay? Fair fu cks to ya but it will be a cold day in hell before you get me to work for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Scambuster

In my job in the civl service the first hour overtime is free. Combined with the huge taxes on any additional salary I just refuse to do any overtime, not that there is much going.

The thoughts of being pressured into doing unpaid overtime by some corporate monkey is laughable. You can chose to have that in your life if you like but it's not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

Can this thread be password protected based on IP? I'm fairly sure anyone outside of Ireland who may have been contemplating investment here is going to find the content of this thread quite enlightening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭btard

whippet wrote: »
    man .... I can't really comprehend this.

Your employer obviously has a problem with people arriving bang on 9am and hanging around getting jackets on etc ..... otherwise he wouldn't have to ask people to come in.

For the last number couple of years I have been starting at least an hour early every day, staying on after normal hours a couple of days a week .. and not recieved a single cent for doing it. What I have gotten is the respect of my employer who knows who has the best interests of the company at heart and when we get through this rough patch ..it will be remembered!!!

get in to work a few minutes earlier and be greatful to have a job in this day and age.

even for footie training we were always expected to be on the training pitch 10 minutes before the start to ensure that at half seven everyone is ready to start at the same time !!!

You have a rude awakening coming to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭dumb_parade

faceman wrote: »
    OP, has anyone asked the manager why you are being asked to arrive 10 minutes early? Seems to me like your first starting point. You won't get fired for asking!

Without knowing what and where you work ita difficult to ascertain the relevance of the request. Perhaps you have other perks in top of your salary or bonuses that take stock of effort during the month etc

10 minutes a day is half days work a month.

It tends to be give and take with many companies. They may make non contractual requests on one hand but offer non contractual flexibility/bonuses/perks elsewhere

You need to consider this before doing anything drastic

That's being said, pulling people up for 'being late' when they arrive 5 mins early for their shift is unacceptable

This crap of "you're lucky to have a job" should be dropped. It's the lamest counter argument to work issues I've heard.

+1

Ask why they want you in early. Is it to get ready for your shift or to start work early.

If they expect this of you will they want 10 minutes off your lunch break next. Give them and inch...

Your new manager is trying to make a name for herself. This can be dangerous, so thread carefully. You dont want to be made an exampe of, even though im not sure what can be legally done here.

In general unpaid overtime can be beneficial on a short term basis, but after that it becomes a sort of exploitation. What started out as bad planning, becomes 'good' planning, because the employer thinks they can get this labour for free.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Mister men wrote: »
    So you do 2 and a half hours OT a week without pay? Fair fu cks to ya but it will be a cold day in hell before you get me to work for free.

In the company I'm in (and pretty much any company I've been in) working a bit extra here and there is the norm. The other side of the story is that I'm in a job that I'm not worried about losing and it has usually been remembered come bonus time or payrise time and I've normally had bosses that reciprocate and who are easier on us with the odd half day for family or home stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

There no problem working a bit extra if you get it back in someway. Even it just makes you more content, thats reason enough.

However many places will expect extra time, yet not give you anything back for it, and are not one bit appreciative about it.

Someone who comes in introducing rules and penalties, where none are needed , is a bad sign IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Thembogoblin

I haven't seen if anyone corrected this but if you're required to wear safety gear/PPE/uniforms that's done on company time and you have to be paid for it. It's donning and doffing. Since these acts are integral to the job or benefit the employer then you're entitled to do them on company time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Thembogoblin

Listen it was one of the first things that came up for me when I googled so I assumed it would come up for someone else. 14 years old or not you saw it p quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,603 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It didn't exactly stand the test of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭celt262

To the lads who arrive an hour early for work give yourselves a pat on the back.

Now not every one can be as flexible some people may have to drop kids into childcare at a certain time and them commute to work and not have 10 minutes to spare never mind an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Thankfully, I never understand this type of person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,260 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Maybe it's the answer the OP has been diligently checking back every day since, waiting for it to arrive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement