Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ouya console - ~ €95 on Amazon.com (inc P&P and Import)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

All the reviews have this 30 year old giddy like a kid at xmas!

It just arrived!!!!!!!

And all of you laughed at me for paying the extra delivery :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

varuka wrote: »
    The only way to get pc games on the ouya is through the Kainy app.

Doesn't Steam run on this ?

Are there different games on Steam for PC and the Ouya ?

I thought the same game would run on both devices ? .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

It's not a steam box / high end PC, it's an android box tailored for gaming. It might be possible to mirror you laptop using the kainy app mentioned but I use a hdmi lead for my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

It just arrived!!!!!!!

And all of you laughed at me for paying the extra delivery :D

Mine hasn't even dispatched yet!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

How'd you do that?

Yeah!
    Interested in that too :)

Was looking at the flirc...

glued wrote: »
    Mine hasn't even dispatched yet!!

Muhahahahahahah should have payed up :p

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

To those that have bought enjoy

To those that are thinking about it I have had one for a little while now and have it running the latest version of XBMC Gotham

So far so goo, it streams from my Nas drive and USB drive perfectly and I have a few video add ons running with no issues

I had a G-Box midnight before this and I thought it was alright but could never get it working properly as the remote was terrible and even with wireless mouse and keyboard attached I couldn't get all the menu options to work

I find the controller for the OuYa works really well and you can use some pretty skins on it

Very happy with it so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 CottonMouth

To those that have bought enjoy

To those that are thinking about it I have had one for a little while now and have it running the latest version of XBMC Gotham

I had a G-Box midnight before this and I thought it was alright but could never get it working properly as the remote was terrible and even with wireless mouse and keyboard attached I couldn't get all the menu options to work

I find the controller for the OuYa works really well and you can use some pretty skins on it

Very happy with it so far :)

Do you have any problems with Gotham builds for some repositories missing resource files
    I've just set it up and the beta Gotham builds seem a little buggy

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Do you have any problems with Gotham builds for some repositories missing resource files
    I've just set it up and the beta Gotham builds seem a little buggy

No but i don't use many of the add-ons so far, just 1channel and Ice Films and a couple of sports ones

It will take a while for some add-ons to be updated for Gotham I would imagine but they will all be updated at some stage, you could always use an older version of Frodo though, should work fine

*Edit*
    Actually 1channel isn't working, seems it might be a Gotham bug, it will get fixed soon I would imagine

• Advertisement

Is it easy to get play store on these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Yeah!
    Interested in that too :)

Was looking at the flirc...
    How'd you do that?

Yeah. Using Flirc. I'm ordering another one for the laptop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

To anyone who has XBMC running on this... Is there a Slingbox player plugin available and does it work? It's the only thing I really use my WD TV Live Gen 3 for, besides movies. I'd gladly move to this but the Slingbox player is the deal breaker for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

Has anyone got XBMC on a android device? How does it run? anytime ive used it on the pc its been awful, slow, glitchy and bad quality.

I bought a android stick from China

I've got live sport going 24/7 on 3mb broadband

Is it easy to get play store on these?

Reasonably easy. Plenty of guides out there. Main hassle is getting all the required files unzipped in the right place. Dropbox is useful for this.

groom wrote: »
    Reasonably easy. Plenty of guides out there. Main hassle is getting all the required files unzipped in the right place. Dropbox is useful for this.

Wont get a chance until Sunday, plenty of youtube vids to help until then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 CottonMouth

No but i don't use many of the add-ons so far, just 1channel and Ice Films and a couple of sports ones

It will take a while for some add-ons to be updated for Gotham I would imagine but they will all be updated at some stage, you could always use an older version of Frodo though, should work fine

*Edit*
    Actually 1channel isn't working, seems it might be a Gotham bug, it will get fixed soon I would imagine

Ditto, 1 channel not working yet for me but I don't want to go down to Frodo if I can avoid it
    Ouya XBMC looks better than the Roku 3 Plex so far thankfully as I'll never get approval for buying another box this year

I don't want to go down to Frodo if I can avoid it
    What are the advantages of Gotham?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭chopsey

Hi,

i got one of these with a view to running XBMC on it but i've got no sound in the OUYA menus or Games or videos.

when i got to the android settings menu i can hear the notifications sounds when i flick through them but i cant get sound on anything else?

i hooked up a bluetooth speaker to the OUYA and i could get sound from games and videos but surely it should work through the HDMI?

i have a call logged with OUYA support and they want me to send it back to them for a replacement but that could take weeks and months.

any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

Can you run all the XBMC skins on the Ouya?

I have a big clunky PC that doesn't do much else than run XBMC. I'd love to replace with something like an Ouya but I really like the Backrow skin on XBMC.

Do you think it would run smoothly on Ouya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Flyer28 wrote: »
    Can you run all the XBMC skins on the Ouya?

I have a big clunky PC that doesn't do much else than run XBMC. I'd love to replace with something like an Ouya but I really like the Backrow skin on XBMC.

Do you think it would run smoothly on Ouya?

Aeon nox runs smooth on my ouya and thats a big one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭robbe

chopsey wrote: »
    Hi,

i got one of these with a view to running XBMC on it but i've got no sound in the OUYA menus or Games or videos.

when i got to the android settings menu i can hear the notifications sounds when i flick through them but i cant get sound on anything else?

i hooked up a bluetooth speaker to the OUYA and i could get sound from games and videos but surely it should work through the HDMI?

i have a call logged with OUYA support and they want me to send it back to them for a replacement but that could take weeks and months.

any ideas?

It's not the notification sounds but the general sound setting just above it - you might need to use the trackpad and cursor to move it up.

The ouya is awkward as fook! Early days though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

What are you having the issues with tallaghtmick? The store is a bit clunky but never had issue with anything else

What are you having the issues with tallaghtmick? The store is a bit clunky but never had issue with anything else

Stupid little things but seem to have gotten most of it now, have XBMC running so happy with that, I have sportsdevil and 1channel running but if people could advise on more add ons(by pm coz I know boards rules) that would be great, mobdro doesnt work on it so thats not great but UPC Horizon does so I get a good few channels from that.

Got Play store on it and GTA 3 works a treat, I find Chrome is shocking on it would Dolphin browser or Firefox be better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

iStream is all I'll say Mick.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    iStream is all I'll say Mick.

;) Thanking you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

[SNIP]

Witnessmenow - Can't ask that question here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Stupid little things but seem to have gotten most of it now, have XBMC running so happy with that, I have sportsdevil and 1channel running but if people could advise on more add ons(by pm coz I know boards rules) that would be great, mobdro doesnt work on it so thats not great but UPC Horizon does so I get a good few channels from that.

Got Play store on it and GTA 3 works a treat, I find Chrome is shocking on it would Dolphin browser or Firefox be better?

Definitely not? That would be a major selling point for me :(

Definitely not? That would be a major selling point for me :(

Ill reinstall later but the app loads no issues there but when you try do anything else on it it stops and goes backto the ouya menu, in fairness I downloaded it from play store so I may sideload it later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

I would also recommend real debrid or all debrid when using xbmc and addons. Really makes a hell of a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

AntiRip wrote: »
    I would also recommend real debrid or all debrid when using xbmc and addons. Really makes a hell of a difference.

Yea, for the few bob it is, its good.

Not feeling the ouya at all, think ill throw it up on adverts, main issue is my old and cheap tv doesnt display it correctly arghhhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

What's that then?

I installed 4OD last night, sweet little add on.

4od app or xbmc addon?
    The app is telling me it can't find a connection ( same issue with iPlayer) and I thought the mossy xbmc plugin was broken

Not feeling the ouya at all, think ill throw it up on adverts, main issue is my old and cheap tv doesnt display it correctly arghhhh

Will there be an express delivery option?

Will there be an express delivery option?

I.E drive to someones house ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

hows the ouya doing on sound? is dts passthrough working?

What's that then?

Resolves links to premium links (faster streaming, no capthas). RD is only e16 for 6 months I think for over 80 hosters.

Thanks for letting us know about the 4od app. Didn't realise it has been fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Ordered one of these yesterday, should get it today with my 30day Amazon prime Membership :) Already have a Mele F10-pro so hope it works ok with that. Bit of a noob when it comes to XMBC so any advice on the best youtube install demo and which build/version to load would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Ill reinstall later but the app loads no issues there but when you try do anything else on it it stops and goes backto the ouya menu, in fairness I downloaded it from play store so I may sideload it later.

Thanks for the heads up on this app - Mobdro, I sideloaded it onto the OUYA at it works a treat! Thanks

poldebruin wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up on this app - Mobdro, I sideloaded it onto the OUYA at it works a treat! Thanks

Ah good stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

4od app or xbmc addon?
    The app is telling me it can't find a connection ( same issue with iPlayer) and I thought the mossy xbmc plugin was broken

The XBMC addon. Was working perfectly until I posted in this thread! Typical! :o

The XBMC addon. Was working perfectly until I posted in this thread! Typical! :o

Still working for me. Such a good app, I couldn't bare to watch anything on the site. I know that they have to but the amount of ads and frequency of them is unbearable.

Pity aertv started charging as well but tbh I don't miss rte anyway.

If you love 4od you'll probably love F.T.V from kinkin. It's similar to the filmon addon but better.

Still working for me. Such a good app.

Just had a go installing it on my phone. Can browse the content but couldn't launch anything

Edit. Just tried on the Ouya and it runs beautifully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭randombar

What do you reckon the power consumption would be compared to the ATV2.

Standby looks ok.

soooo tempted, have the flirc in my cart too.

That ATV2 remote is just to small keep losing the feicin thing.

• Advertisement

GaryCocs wrote: »
    What do you reckon the power consumption would be compared to the ATV2.

Standby looks ok.

soooo tempted, have the flirc in my cart too.

That ATV2 remote is just to small keep losing the feicin thing.

I found on the wiki that gameplay is 4.5 watts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouya

That's twice the ATV2 I think using xbmc. I can't find anything for xbmc on Ouya but found this on reddit

http://www.reddit.com/r/cordcutters/comments/1dza5l/this_is_why_xbmc_on_ouya_is_probably_not_going_to/

It's says the Ouya draws very high CPU and high GPU usage, hence the high temperatures, fan activity, and high power consumption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I found on the wiki that gameplay is 4.5 watts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouya

That's twice the ATV2 I think using xbmc. I can't find anything for xbmc on Ouya but found this on reddit

http://www.reddit.com/r/cordcutters/comments/1dza5l/this_is_why_xbmc_on_ouya_is_probably_not_going_to/

It's says the Ouya draws very high CPU and high GPU usage, hence the high temperatures, fan activity, and high power consumption.

The Ouya can be turned off though, boot time from cold to XBMC would be less than a minute for sure.

Unless XBMC has drastically improved on the ATV2 in the last 12 months the Ouya is a far superior XBMC box in terms of playback (it does 1080p) and snap-iness. Power consumption wise I am unable to comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

The Ouya can be turned off though, boot time from cold to XBMC would be less than a minute for sure.

Unless XBMC has drastically improved on the ATV2 in the last 12 months the Ouya is a far superior XBMC box in terms of playback (it does 1080p) and snap-iness. Power consumption wise I am unable to comment.

+1

XBMC on ouya is probably the most refined version I have seen in terms of bang for buck performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭batistuta9

stooge wrote: »
    +1

XBMC on ouya is probably the most refined version I have seen in terms of bang for buck performance.

I was actually going to ask that :pac:

Its a better option than a R.Pi yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭randombar

Purchase made, bought the fan and flirc too.

One question on the flirc, just to get my head around it, how do you get the sky remote to control the ouya and not the sky box? There's no alternate channel on it apart from TV?

• Advertisement
Advertisement