Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 14/15 Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

zagmund wrote: »
    C1/C2 as you ski off the top of the main lift up from Kitzbuhel is one that catches you in the morning. At least there's a cafe at the bottom of that one.

D7/D1 off the top of the Pengelstein/3S. This one is *ugly*. It's narrow. There's no run out area. In the afternoon the bottom gets pretty bumpy/chopped up/icy/slushy depending on the weather. People heading back to Kitz from up the valley have to come through here. Once you start down this route you are committed unless you like walking uphill.

z

Ah yes C1 first thing normally got c2 and headed down 18 onto 16 for strudel at the orange bull then back up legs warmed up and over there by 10. If you dont work by the german clock and be the last back you normally dont have a wait at D7. As for it being bumpy and rough sure thats the challenge. If I arrived at a black that was groomed and nice and level I could fly down it. Picking my route and making it down in some sort of reasonable fashion is what makes ski holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Ah I know bumps are part of the fun, but the problem part is when they are right down at the bottom like they are at D7/D1 and there literally is no run-out area, just a seething mass of 150-200 people waiting to get onto the lift.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I've nowhere better to stick this, so it may as well go into the banter thread . . . going for a night ski has been on the kids wishlist for a while now and we finally got to do it this time around. The slope at Gaisberg in Kirchberg is open on Thursday & Fridays so we gave it a go on Thursday.

I have to say I was more than a little under-impressed. There are technically two pistes there - a black which is reserved for ski racing at the best of times and a red. This time around the black was closed and half of the red was taken over for either a race or some race practice. So, we had half the normal width of a slope. Right off the top of the lifts was a pretty vicious steep bit which (on the night we were there) hadn't been prepared in any way so it was basically a sheet of ice. A little bit of grooming would at least have made it more usable for the less accomplished among us. It took a fair bit of skill to get down that top bit without coming a cropper. Once you passed that part the rest of the run was fine, but again unprepared in any way so pretty icy & juddering as you went over it. The final problem was that the ski racers weren't content with taking over half the piste for their practice and were pretty much going full tilt down the slope. I'm sure *they* were in control, but it was like going for a tootle around Mondello Park in your Micra and finding out that there was race practice going on at the same time around you.

Summary - it was fine, it has been ticked off the list, but I wouldn't be in a rush to go back and do it again.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

zagmund wrote: »
    I've nowhere better to stick this, so it may as well go into the banter thread . . . going for a night ski has been on the kids wishlist for a while now and we finally got to do it this time around. The slope at Gaisberg in Kirchberg is open on Thursday & Fridays so we gave it a go on Thursday.

I have to say I was more than a little under-impressed. There are technically two pistes there - a black which is reserved for ski racing at the best of times and a red. This time around the black was closed and half of the red was taken over for either a race or some race practice. So, we had half the normal width of a slope. Right off the top of the lifts was a pretty vicious steep bit which (on the night we were there) hadn't been prepared in any way so it was basically a sheet of ice. A little bit of grooming would at least have made it more usable for the less accomplished among us. It took a fair bit of skill to get down that top bit without coming a cropper. Once you passed that part the rest of the run was fine, but again unprepared in any way so pretty icy & juddering as you went over it. The final problem was that the ski racers weren't content with taking over half the piste for their practice and were pretty much going full tilt down the slope. I'm sure *they* were in control, but it was like going for a tootle around Mondello Park in your Micra and finding out that there was race practice going on at the same time around you.

Summary - it was fine, it has been ticked off the list, but I wouldn't be in a rush to go back and do it again.

z

Yeah being there and didnt do that had a look during day light hours and was told that they just turned on the lights in the evening and let the punters off.

It is only any good for the toboggan run

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Day 12 for me here so I won't show you my office. ****e weather the last 2 days but managed to find one mountain with some visibility today.

I'm down to single-digit days until my trip to Chamonix, so I'm not too insanely jealous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

cormee wrote: »
    Allow me...

So, this is what my office looked like today.

I lol'd thank you, you're right, on the level of envy reduction Fattes' absence is at least in that sense welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Off piste Unintentional somersault today. Head was briefly buried up to neck. GoPro ripped off helmet. No damage to helmet. Searching for the GoPro distracted me from the pain in my neck. Found the camera. Footage isn't very exciting as it never is when on the helmet. Mate was busy taking a selfie not too far away and didn't see what happened.

Photo is the moment of impact before it was buried. Bit of a tomahawk.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

Off piste Unintentional somersault today. Head was briefly buried up to neck. GoPro ripped off helmet. No damage to helmet. Searching for the GoPro distracted me from the pain in my neck. Found the camera. Footage isn't very exciting as it never is when on the helmet. Mate was busy taking a selfie not too far away and didn't see what happened.

Photo is the moment of impact before it was buried. Bit of a tomahawk.

Never fun that.

I ended up in a neck brace for weeks from an (intentional) frontflip off a mogul, head was clearly getting too big as I thought I could land it off this tiny bump.. I got halfway around, like yourself and reenacted a pogo stick with my neck and bounced back onto my feet - cue the pain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Third and last trip of the yr tomorrow. any advice on driving from munich airport to san anton? Via garmisch or via kufstein?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

Dr Nic wrote: »
    Third and last trip of the yr tomorrow. any advice on driving from munich airport to san anton? Via garmisch or via kufstein?

Drive on the right side of the road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Action shot from yesterday.

6E2A9DCA-5AC7-4A67-BA3C-C91822D2D94B_zpsxrsrkgmf.jpg

I hope none of you are heading to Val Thorens today, our flight back was 1/3 empty due to the rock fall on the road up the mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Action shot from yesterday.

6E2A9DCA-5AC7-4A67-BA3C-C91822D2D94B_zpsxrsrkgmf.jpg

I hope none of you are heading to Val Thorens today, our flight back was 1/3 empty due to the rock fall on the road up the mountain.

May watch your technique, lying back a bit in those boots (he says jealously)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

May watch your technique, lying back a bit in those boots (he says jealously)

Ha! That's as good as my landing technique gets!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭hullabulloo

flew Dublin chambery yesterday with crystal ski and unable to get to val thorens last night due to the rock fall. put up in chambery over night and hoping for the transfer this morning :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Couple of pictures, as promised. Apologies for the couple-y type ones, but I'm not much of a photo person unless I'm asked (told).

The pano is from the top of stairway to heaven chair at Kicking Horse from our work ski-trip on Saturday. It's a great hill but is suffering seriously this year from lack of snow. It's a big-mountain hill but the last decent snow was a ferw weeks ago and everything is very tracked out. The bowl in the photo is epic with good, fresh snow. Still, $75 for a day out with a group including bus, breakfast, day ticket and beers isn't bad!

The skating one is from Lake Louise. Skating on the frozen lake is good fun. The rink is managed by the hotel there and open to the public for as long as there's ice. There's a little castle made from ice and a bar made from ice, but it was closed.

The frozen waterfall one is from the other end of the lake, and I don't think it shows in the photo but there's a guy climbing it. Something I'd love to try but it takes a lot of training and equipment.

masseyno9 wrote: »
    The frozen waterfall one is from the other end of the lake

Here was me thinking it was a very icy slope :o

Anyone heading off this weekend?

Funny you should ask.

I AM! I AM! I AM! I AM! I AM! I AM! I AM! I AM! I AM! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Funny you should ask.

I am just back from a week and have serious post holiday blues

So how many times do people try and go every season? I would love to sneak away again this year

Vegeta wrote: »

So how many times do people try and go every season? I would love to sneak away again this year

Where were you? Any good?

This will be my second trip, I do at least two every year. On the odd occasion I do three. First one is always the week-long trip, any subsequent trips are long weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

I was away in Andorra last week with friends and am seriously thinking about getting away with the UCPA again in maybe early April.

Anyone have any advice on which one of the UCPA venues would be best for that time of year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Seifer wrote: »
    I was away in Andorra last week with friends and am seriously thinking about getting away with the UCPA again in maybe early April.

Anyone have any advice on which one of the UCPA venues would be best for that time of year?

High up, val thorens, tignes, les deux alpes.

Funny you should ask.

Funnily enough I'm still here. Weather sucks donkey balls at the moment but bluebird due back this weekend. Just in time for my final week.

Funnily enough I'm still here. Weather sucks donkey balls at the moment but bluebird due back this weekend. Just in time for my final week.

Where? Chamonix?

Heavy snow there all week, looked like they were getting mad snow this morning. And by some miracle of God, the sun is due to shine, for the first time, on Friday. Which is the day I arrive. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Where were you? Any good?

Was in Mayrhofen, was there last year as an absolute beginner and loved it so wanted to return this year to get more lessons and do more of the runs I couldn't do last year (lack of skill). Really enjoyed it bar the queues in the morning and two crazily busy blue slopes. Weather was fine bar two days with low cloud cover and visibility, was being guided by instructor these days so was not really a big deal. Snowed a lot on the Tuesday and Wednesday. Had no lessons on the Thursday and Friday and went off on our own. Had a ball and even went down a handy black slope without falling or injuring myself. Speaking of injuries, did see the rescue helicopter out three times over the Thursday and Friday.

Highlights of the week were skiing down the half pipe (no tricks just coming over the lip, turning on the flat and back down into it) and doing the little public race track, I didn't realise how rutted it would be by each gate so completely wiped out on the third gate. Was laughing at myself before I even hit the ground.

Stayed in a hotel half board as well so put on about 2-3kg I'd say. Austrian food is just right up my street. Farmer's grill all you can eat one night, multiple steaks, ribs and kaiserschmarrn for desert and I waddled up to bed. Do I even need to mention Gasser?

Things to improve next fro next skiing trip, well my rental boots killed me (changed them twice and even then with my limited experience I felt they were impacting my technique) and trying to see through cheap goggles in flat light was crap. Obviously as a beginner I need a lot more practice to improve my technique too :o

Where? Chamonix?

Heavy snow there all week, looked like they were getting mad snow this morning. And by some miracle of God, the sun is due to shine, for the first time, on Friday. Which is the day I arrive. :pac:

I'm in Austria based in Mayrhofen. Been here almost 3 weeks now. First week was bluebird. The last 2 have been hit and miss. Yesterday was bluebird but I had a jager hangover while today was cloudy everywhere here in Zillertal. yea the sun is due. Forecast says bluebird Sat, Sun, Tues, Wed.

Was in Mayrhofen, was there last year as an absolute beginner and loved it so wanted to return this year to get more lessons and do more of the runs I couldn't do last year (lack of skill). Really enjoyed it bar the queues in the morning and two crazily busy blue slopes. Weather was fine bar two days with low cloud cover and visibility, was being guided by instructor these days so was not really a big deal. Snowed a lot on the Tuesday and Wednesday. Had no lessons on the Thursday and Friday and went off on our own. Had a ball and even went down a handy black slope without falling or injuring myself. Speaking of injuries, did see the rescue helicopter out three times over the Thursday and Friday.

Highlights of the week were skiing down the half pipe (no tricks just coming over the lip, turning on the flat and back down into it) and doing the little public race track, I didn't realise how rutted it would be by each gate so completely wiped out on the third gate. Was laughing at myself before I even hit the ground.

Stayed in a hotel half board as well so put on about 2-3kg I'd say. Austrian food is just right up my street. Farmer's grill all you can eat one night, multiple steaks, ribs and kaiserschmarrn for desert and I waddled up to bed. Do I even need to mention Gasser?

Things to improve next fro next skiing trip, well my rental boots killed me (changed them twice and even then with my limited experience I felt they were impacting my technique) and trying to see through cheap goggles in flat light was crap. Obviously as a beginner I need a lot more practice to improve my technique too :o

If you are seriously going to continue I'd 100% recommend buying boots and goggles. Loads of brands that won't break the bank. Every time I rented in the past I would change my boots twice too and I always got blisters.

I like Mayrhofen. Guinness is ok when I want a quiet few and plenty of places to go apres. Based here for a 4 week holiday however I've never been a fan of the Penkan slopes. Not sure why. I only every go up the Penkenbahn later in the day or I'd take the green line bus to another gondola as I can't deal with that queue. You can see they are building a new lift but don't know when it'll be ready. When I do go up I take in all the slopes all the way to Rastkogel if it's clear enough. Rastkogel is a good place to practice. Reds and blues that aren't as busy as Penken. The 150er will take you there. When the weather sucks I usually go up Ahorn or Penken just to mess about. Today myself and a mate just toured between Penken and Horberg before the cloud really dropped in. It went from an overcast dull day to 15/20ft visibility. Most of the time I drive up to Hintertux or leave the valley.

About 18cm predicted tomorrow in Tux and Mayrhofen

Burton US open is on now if anyone's interested. You can watch online on Burton.com. Coverage details here. http://www.burton.com/default/usopen_details_001.html

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

+1 on getting own boots and decent goggles, maybe gloves too.

Back from Flaine great snow, the GERs bowl was fab, as was diamant noir (tricky gully)

I liked the purpose built resort, was able to ski in /out of appartment.

Got my 3yr old skiing too.

Don't spend too much on gloves. You could end up burning through a few pairs as you learn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Funny you should ask.

off to innsbruck (stubai) tomorrow for a powder dash (two days).
    savage snow coming down, lets hope for a clearance.

Boarding but been a while since I was up there....

Advertisement